• 83 results
BubbleBobble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BubbleBobble

why all the hate? The current & upcoming lineup for the 3DS supersedes everything Nintendo has done for the past 5 years. 

Ocarina of Time 3D 
Paper Mario 3D 
Super Mario 3D 
Luigi's Mansion 2 
Starfox 64 3D 
Mario Kart 3DS 
RE:Revelations  

Why isn't it selling?
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Hizang

Because you made a mistake, there are a lot of upcoming tittles for it, but not to many current tittles. It's expensive and the battery is quite crap.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

I don't buy things because they have potential in the future, I buy things because they have something I want now. The 3DS launch line-up was pretty poor and led to poor sales numbers. That and Nintendo has an awful habit of releasing the better versions of their handhelds not long after the first generation at a cheaper price.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SamStrife
@benjaebe said:

That and Nintendo has an awful habit of releasing the better versions of their handhelds not long after the first generation at a cheaper price.

This.  Never bothered me so much in the past but with the 3DS I see no reason to buy one straight away when I know in a years time they'll make a better revision, sell it cheaper and all the games will already be out.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Siphillis
@BubbleBobble said:

why all the hate? The current & upcoming lineup for the 3DS supersedes everything Nintendo has done for the past 5 years. 

Ocarina of Time 3D 
Paper Mario 3D 
Super Mario 3D 
Luigi's Mansion 2 
Starfox 64 3D 
Mario Kart 3DS 

Why isn't it selling?
Because only one of those games is on store shelves, and I finished it three years ago.
Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liber

Because I am sick of Marios and Zeldas.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

Aren't most of those game re-releases of old N64 games? So why buy a portable to replay those games once again? That and the lack of new IPs at the moment ( not that I would bu it anyway , not to keen on handhelds I'm afraid)

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By strainedeyes

If (when) they release an updated hardware next holiday, I'll think about getting one. By then there should be a decent game line-up to choose from.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TotalEklypse

Games suck, idea sucks, launch list sucks, same games for 30 years suck, the 3D sucks. AND.. I think people finally grew up. 

Nintendo has not been relevant in gaming since the PS1 came out. All they have managed to do was bring a few people into casual gaming (seniors, parents, etc) so they could bowl or maybe play a Mario game with the kids. They have slipped further and further away from those of us who support gaming for a long period of time. Point of fact,  the shit attachment rate of repeat game buyers for the Wii. The drop in stock and profit dwindling. The business model for the last few years is pump out shovelware and more required attachments, try and rehash the same system 10 times this gen (handhelds), and try to milk the very last bit of cash they can out of Mario and Zelda. It is all just finally coming to a head. If you ignore the people who supported your products for years in order to make the fast cash of the pop culture fad.. You end up with no longevity of product strength. They pretty much have to sleep in the bed they made for themselves, they have to stick with the cheap older tech and gimmicks. Leave the core stuff to the other guys, they are already a few steps and a generation ahead.. not to mention they are building their next consoles.  

The 3ds really falls into this same thing. They just jumped away from the cheap kid/casual friendly item to a wishful thinking version of a higher tech device. So you end up with the price and such higher or an item more complex than your user base you have built up wants.. all the while the ones of us who would have gotten something more advanced have been pulled another direction.  I know a lot of people who are buzzing about PSV as the new handheld they want. I am considering it myself because of all the things it can do. I mean at this point.. the new stuff coming out so soon, try and see it like this. Would you rather have a ok burger right now, OR just wait a little bit for a great steak. 

Actually Nintendo just does it sometimes.. they forget who they are making games for and get too caught up in gimmick.. R.O.B. or Virtual Boy anyone?

VegasAceVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VegasAceVII

It's just lack of games right now, give it time.  The DS had it rough before the good software started pouring in too.  While the list of games you presented are very cool and exciting titles, not all of them our currently on the market.  All that matters is what is on store shelves right now...and it just isn't good enough.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

You expect people to excited for a bunch of remakes with 3D treatment?

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Siphillis
@TotalEklypse said:
Nintendo has not been relevant in gaming since the PS1 came out. 
Mario 64, Pokemon, and Ocarina of Time would like to have a word with you.
cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By cyraxible

Because in 12-18 months they'll go the Nintendo way and release a revised version of the hardware with improved battery life among other features. Also there's nothing I want on it right now, I despise 3D and nothing else about it is a notable improvement over my DSi.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's several reasons.

1. Some of those games are just games we've already seen before. At least two of them are straight-up N64 ports with a little touch-up and some 3D thrown on top. 

2. A lot of those games are incredibly familiar territory. I'm never one to get too optimistic about the intelligence of the general public, but maybe some of us are waking up to the fact that, if we want a Mario Kart fix, we have a bajillion other options.The same goes for Zelda games, and even as neat as it is to me personally to see Luigi's Mansion pop up again, it's still something that has existed before. Only Resident Evil: Revelations is something really interesting on a Nintendo handheld, and it's intended audience probably isn't the kids Nintendo is trying to cater to in the first place.  

3. Only one of the games on that list are on store shelves, and it's basically an enhanced port. Consoles, and certainly not handheld consoles, don't sell on the basis of what's on the horizon, they sell based on what is there now, which is practically nothing at all, and certainly nothing original. A couple of those games aren't coming out for a long time, too. Revelations is about a full year off, isn't it?

4. It's $250. That's a full hundred dollars more than the Wii costs right now, and fifty more than the basic 360 model, and those are home consoles. That's a lot of money to ask for a handheld that doesn't have nearly as impressive graphics tech in it as the Vita supposedly will have, so it hardly justifies the price, especially in today's economy. People are probably anticipating a price cut by holiday season anyway.

5. Nintendo has a nasty habit of constant revisions of handheld hardware. There were like, four or five different versions of the DS. Considering the news about battery life (and some people complaining about volume, though I doubt some care about that) there's probably a lot of people who realize that in another year there will probably be another, cheaper version of the 3DS nearly on the market anyway, and by then, it'll actually have games to go with it. 

6. I think it's similarity in design and name actually hurts it among low-information consumers. Assuming for the sake of argument they even know it's 3D capabilities, they may just assume, after several different iterations of the DS, that it's just "the DS with 3D" and nothing more. If it had a completely different name or a more differentiating design, it probably would've actually seemed truly "new" to people who don't pay as much attention to gaming news as often as people like us do.

We're not 3DS "haters." Just consumers making smart decisions with our money.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TotalEklypse
@Siphillis said:
@TotalEklypse said:
Actually missed the typo. I meant Ps2. I loved the n64 actually.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Siphillis
@TotalEklypse said:
@Siphillis said:
@TotalEklypse said:
You are redeemed and 100% correct, good sir. 

That said, the Wii has had a tremendous influence over the gaming industry.  It just wasn't in any progressive manner, and doesn't make games any more playable or interesting for gamers.
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By GoofyGoober
@HandsomeDead: This is the way I feel. Plus I didn't like the original DS that much anyway. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I am not the target audience for this product so I'm not very interested in it. If I was going to buy a handheld I'd buy a Vita because it won't be that much more expensive and Wipeout alone puts it ahead of the 3DS in games for me.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By coakroach

Waiting for good RPG's.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jetsetwillie

i don't hate the 3DS, that would be stupid. to hate a electronic device... lol!!!... 

but i am not convinced by it yet, sure i quite fancy playing Zelda:Oot 3D and Lylat Wars 3D. but i've already played these more than twice before.

im sure its just a matter of time before its killer app is released that makes me rush and buy one.  

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Skald

I can't speak for everyone, but I think the iPhone is a better platform, and one many people already have.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vexxan

Gonna wait until 3DS Lite or XL or whatever...I want better battery, simple as that. Good to see some great games are on the way thou.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gizmo
@Siphillis said:
@TotalEklypse said:
@Siphillis said:
@TotalEklypse said:
You are redeemed and 100% correct, good sir.  That said, the Wii has had a tremendous influence over the gaming industry.  It just wasn't in any progressive manner, and doesn't make games any more playable or interesting for gamers.
Yes, a tremendous negative effect to the gaming industry. Now we get more watered-down shovel-ware then ever, thanks to Nintendo.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

While the games they showed at E3 look great, NONE of them have release dates. A few of them are coming "holiday season" which obviously means the rest of them are so far off, they aren't worth talking about. I bought a 3DS at launch, expecting things like the e-shop and Kid Icarus to come a lot sooner. Ocarina of Time is literally the only thing worth playing on it at the moment.

The system also has several design flaws (other than just being ugly). I'm fairly sure they did this intentionally, simply so they can be sure to release an upgraded model in the next year or two.

I really couldn't recommend the system any less. If you must have one, at least wait and see what they pull out at Christmas.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob

I don't hate the 3DS, I'm just aware that there are zero games for it that interest me, including ones that are just announced.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainCody

Nogaems.
CodyMetro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CodyMetro
@BubbleBobble said:

Ocarina of Time 3D 
Paper Mario 3D 
Super Mario 3D 
Luigi's Mansion 2 
Starfox 64 3D 
Mario Kart 3DS 

Why isn't it selling?

Mario games and Zelda games aren't really enough to sell me on a system/handheld a lone anymore. Tons of other games in my backlog for the PS2/PC/PSP/DS/PS3 to play. I have absolutely no reason to get one.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Aetheldod said:

Aren't most of those game re-releases of old N64 games? So why buy a portable to replay those games once again? That and the lack of new IPs at the moment ( not that I would bu it anyway , not to keen on handhelds I'm afraid)

Only Star Fox and OoT are remakes, the rest are completely new sequels.

New IP's isn't really a fair complaint either, as you won't find them anywhere at the moment.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By asurastrike

@BubbleBobble said:

why all the hate? The current & upcoming lineup for the 3DS supersedes everything Nintendo has done for the past 5 years.

Ocarina of Time 3D
Paper Mario 3D
Super Mario 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Starfox 64 3D
Mario Kart 3DS

Why isn't it selling?

I'm waiting for the 3DS Lite

There are 0 games out that I want to play

It has a 4 hour battery life

My DS is still good for me

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By korolev

Not enough launch titles.

I'll admit that the 3DS is an impressive hand-held (as hand-helds go) but I need a reason to buy it. Sure there are some great games scheduled in the future. But I'll buy the 3DS when those games come out.

And I'm waiting for a price drop/form revision. Nintendo made a ton off re-releasing the DS over three times, but that means that I pretty damn sure that they'll be a 3DS Lite or some such re-release in the future. I'm waiting for that. You cannot convince me that they won't re-design and re-release the 3DS. So I'm waiting for the next iteration of the platform.

Oh Nintendo say they're not going to. But I was burned, BURNED I TELLS YA, last time with the DS. I'm waiting at least a year before I get one- which will mean a price drop and a solid library of games. They'll have to drop the price once the Vita comes out. I'll pick one up after that time. Perhaps later. All I know is, I'm not in a rush to get one anytime soon. 3D means... little to me.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have a DS Lite. Glasses free 3D doesn't add anything to the gameplay and it's not worth the $250 for the games it has and what it does. I'm also really cheap, so I'm saving my money for Vita because I am extremely excited about Gravity Daze. I hope it doesn't suck.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By cookiemonster

The only game that interests me there is paper mario 3ds, so thats why I'm not buying it.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By theoldhouse

only 1 of those titles is out and it happens to be a decade old. I want it but not enough to get 3ds for. 

Also vita being more powerful and the same price doesn't help.  

Nintendo need to reduce the price for Christmas and have some good bundles.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By buft

i dont understand it myself, i liked quite a few release games

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lunar_Aura

GameBoy -> GameBoy Pocket -> GameBoy Color

GameBoy Advance -> Advance SP (front-lit) -> Back-lit SP -> GameBoy Micro

Nintendo DS -> DS Lite -> DSi -> DSi LL/XL

3DS -> ?? -> ?? -> ?? -> ???

Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pyrgz

3DS -> 3TS -> 3QS

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By Yanngc33

Because there are no games on shelves. Release good games and we'll buy your console

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I find it so strange when anyone complains about the price.

Exactly how low would you like it? $250 seems perfectly reasonable.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By theoldhouse
@Rolyatkcinmai: 200? even 250 with a copie of ocarina would be better. It needs a bundle because it would cost about 290 for the console plus the only truly great game out.

I mean the vita costs 250 and is way more powerful. Not saying itll be better (always down to games) but the value for money in terms of hardware is far far higher. 
J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By J12088
@Rolyatkcinmai: When it was first sold in the UK it had a retail price of £230. To put that into perspective the PS3 is £270. The 360 and wii are both cheaper. I'd expect to pay nothing more than £150 for the 3DS. And even then i expect the battery life to be 5 hours minimum. 

As it stands theres been no official price drop but the 3DS is now selling everywhere here at £170-180 so there getting closer to the right amount. But the battery life and lack of games (don't care about a remake of a game i played years ago) makes the Vita look much more tempting.
Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@theoldhouse: @J12088: Ok, thanks. I was legitimately curious.

It just seems like $250 is absurdly cheap for any new gaming system, even a handheld.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By toowalrus

I'm not sure why I'd buy a 3DS for upcomming games, when there's likely to be a hardware update by then- it'll probably be smaller, and have a better battery life.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloudenvy

If all the games you listed were released I would get one right now.

Sadly, only one of them is!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of software makes it very unappealing to pay $250 for a something that (as of now) has only proved to do a great job with games that are already out. i.e. Street Fighter and Zelda. Plus for me, there are no new IPS yet... and the fact they'll end up dropping the price and releasing an improved model doesn't hurt.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By theoldhouse

oh and no announced majoras mask remake 

I would buy it tomorrow if they promised to make one for me 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FreakAche

Yes, the upcoming lineup is great. But there aren't any games on it at the moment. I might pick one up in November or December when everything starts coming out.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm
@BubbleBobble: 3D is fucking dumb.
Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pyrgz

if i could reach into the screen i'd buy it

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By nickux

@BubbleBobble said:

why all the hate? The current & upcoming lineup for the 3DS supersedes everything Nintendo has done for the past 5 years.

Ocarina of Time 3D
Paper Mario 3D
Super Mario 3D
Luigi's Mansion 2
Starfox 64 3D
Mario Kart 3DS

Why isn't it selling?

Hmm let's see...

N64 remake

How many Paper Marios does this make it? After Super Paper Mario I think I've had my fill.

E3 demo looked kind of... well, boring. Besides, I've played so many Mario games in my lifetime.

Ok even I can't deny that at least LM2 is good.

N64 remake... another one.

ENOUGH MARIO KART. This doesn't look like it's offering anything NEW

I'd rather play this type of game on a console with two analog sticks.

Add this lineup to a 4 hour battery, ugly design, eShop wasteland and you're looking at a future Vita owner.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50  Edited By RJay_64

There's nothing wrong with Mario, Zelda, and Star Fox, but they could try to make new versions instead of rehashing the past. I can't argue that Ocarina of Time 3DS looks nice though...