Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

Rewatching some old streams from 3-4 years ago like SNES Party, Retro stream and End of Year streams, everyone was super excited about a poll they just put out and were throwing around ideas for content which would eventually become Load Our Last Saves/Souls and Random PC Game.

Every year around this time there is always going to be next to no games released, why do Giantbomb consistently not plan ahead to have some content for the down times, they seem to think that people are happy with a single live stream a week.

No doubt I will probably get called all kinds of names under the sun by all the people who will jump to Giantbombs defense. There is always an excuse, oh they are just some small outfit in a tiny office, oh they just got bought now they have to have time to settle in, oh they have to pack up for E3, oh E3 is on, oh they have to unpack from E3, oh they have to pack for PAX, oh they have very little staff anymore, oh Vinnys left, oh they just took two new hires on, have to give them time to adjust.

Eventually people are going to run out of excuses, I am amazed that the site is growing despite the lack of subscriber content they seem to put out.

I remember back when I signed up there was a page showing what you get for your subscription and seem to remember them promising daily "premium" content.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jimmyfenix

If you are not happy do not subscribe simple.

If you do not think you are getting enough content with the price you are paying don't resubscribe.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you don't like it, don't pay for it. Or subscribe monthly and just don't pay if you aren't satisfied with the amount of content.

Just don't buy a year and then complain when GB does exactly what they've always done... and then blame rational folks for "jumping to their defense".

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a genius idea, don't express my displeasure, just simply unsubscribe so no one has any idea that anything is wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you do not think you are getting enough content with the price you are paying don't resubscribe.

Or he can voice his concern so that the community can discuss these issues and suggest new forms of content?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By morningstar

@athadam said:

@jimmyfenix said:

Or he can voice his concern so that the community can discuss these issues and suggest new forms of content?

Don't be crazy.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

What if you're not paying anything?

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@joshwent said:

If you don't like it, don't pay for it. Or subscribe monthly and just don't pay if you aren't satisfied with the amount of content.

Just don't buy a year and then complain when GB does exactly what they've always done... and then blame rational folks for "jumping to their defense".

Or, I we can discuss it like adults and not resort to the "if you don't like it don't pay" comments.

Wasn't so long ago they got two massive binders of PC games, why is a Random PC Game out of the question?

Patrick did one Jurassic Lark and then never bothered again.

Seems to be a recurring theme at Giantbomb, they are happy to take your money but when it comes to putting out content they would rather devote their time to free Quicklooks.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

Or, I we can discuss it like adults and not resort to the "if you don't like it don't pay" comments.

Wasn't so long ago they got two massive binders of PC games, why is a Random PC Game out of the question?

Seems to be a recurring theme at Giantbomb, they are happy to take your money but when it comes to putting out content they would rather devote their time to free Quicklooks.

Again you seem happy enough to give your money to them ?

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not bummed about the amount of content because I don't think its worth what I'm paying for it, I'm bummed because I want there to be more of it, even if that means paying more.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

There is totally a drastic lack of content, especially paid content.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@jimmyfenix said:
@thelegendofmart said:

@joshwent said:

Again you seem happy enough to give your money to them ?

Not sure what that has to do with anything, when I signed up for the year I chose recurring by accident and thought it was a one off, it had automatically renewed for another year and the site does no refunds so I am stuck having paid for it, nothing wrong with wanting to get my moneys worth.

I am not demanding they make content just for me, it's just annoying that lately the subscriber side has been largely ignored.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

I agree that there should at least be one weekly premium stream or video of some sort to go along with UPF. It's been way too long since the last one. I think daily premium content is unrealistic, and would be foolish of them if they did promise something like that (not sure if they did). But yeah, they're currently lacking in premium content and I'm not sure if there's a good excuse.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I'd wait a month or two before asking about this because expanding the website by hiring new people, E3, the fact that they were understaffed until recently, Giant Beast only just now getting some equipment does seem like a lot to happen in the past few months. If this continues by the end of September then I could see your point because, aside from the fact that Giant Beast will have to move offices again, there would be nothing holding them back from making more content.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They also share an office with a website that owns a massive collection of video games, but nothing has come of that either. Don't be surprised if that binder is sitting somewhere under a pile of cardboard boxes...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

There are clearly steps being made to increase the content output.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure once Vinny and Alex get everything sorted there will be more premium content each week.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

They've been understaffed for a very long time. Now they have more people and can create more content. So, soon I imagine more premium content will be created.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@rongalaxy said:

I agree that there should at least be one weekly premium stream or video of some sort to go along with UPF. It's been way too long since the last one. I think daily premium content is unrealistic, and would be foolish of them if they did promise something like that (not sure if they did). But yeah, they're currently lacking in premium content and I'm not sure if there's a good excuse.

Back when the premium subscription was for Whiskey Media the page showing you what you got for your subscription promised daily premium content. I know this is unrealistic to expect but come on, look at the subscriber section of video tab on the site, it is mostly just Unpro Friday.

Jeff keeps saying he doesn't want to bring TNT, etc.. back he would rather have new ideas/shows but every time he says it nothing ever happens.

Don't make me laugh, Giantbomb East was created because Vinny was moving whether he stayed at GB or not, it is unclear what kind of content they are going to put out.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pyrodactyl

It would've been a perfect time for an ER but what can you do...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is coming after the week where eeryone was practically complaining about how much stuff there was, and there was only drew and jeff at GBWest.

and i don't know, not payig for something seems like a good way to send a message if you really want to.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By rorie

"If you don't like it, don't pay for it" are not helpful comments in a thread like this. We value the feedback that people give us, so please don't try to dismiss people when they offer it.

This week has a bunch of content coming up and hopefully we'll be able to share more Premium features sometime soon. Things ebb and flow, but I have a feeling the flow is going to be starting up relatively soon.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@ripelivejam said:

this is coming after the week where eeryone was practically complaining about how much stuff there was, and there was only drew and jeff at GBWest.

and i don't know, not payig for something seems like a good way to send a message if you really want to.

I'm not "everyone" and I never complained about how much free stuff they put out. One person not paying a subscription probably isn't even a blip on their radar, hence the thread.

@rorie said:

"If you don't like it, don't pay for it" are not helpful comments in a thread like this. We value the feedback that people give us, so please don't try to dismiss people when they offer it.

This week has a bunch of content coming up and hopefully we'll be able to share more Premium features sometime soon. Things ebb and flow, but I have a feeling the flow is going to be starting up relatively soon.

Thanks Matt, you are a legend. Sorry if I come across as entitled whiner but I don't consume every bit of content the site puts out which makes the content I do consume few and far between.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024 said:

Don't make me laugh, Giantbomb East was created because Vinny was moving whether he stayed at GB or not, it is unclear what kind of content they are going to put out.

By saying stuff like that it seems like nothing is enough for you. They try and hire more people as well as give Alex an easier time so they can make more content overall. They are taking the steps to address your complaints but you're not giving them any time on this issue. Wait a month or two to see what happens.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: We need more puppy streams rorie.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelegendofmart said:
@hunter5024 said:

By saying stuff like that it seems like nothing is enough for you. They try and hire more people as well as give Alex an easier time so they can make more content overall. They are taking the steps to address your complaints but you're not giving them any time on this issue. Wait a month or two to see what happens.

I agree with what you are saying but they have had time after time, I get why Jeff might not want to bring TNT back but saying he wants new, fresh ideas and then nothing ever comes of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

You should totally revisit WoW as a feature for the site.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah @rorie you need to be in more videos, you are hilarious.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Before I re-upped my sub it seemed like every week there was at least two subscriber videos (UPF+1). When I was just a free member I thought "Man! I missing so much content!" and now that I'm a paying member again and have gotten caught up. It feels like not much payed content is coming out as of late. I'm not gonna get rid of my sub. I'm gonna wait and see what happens in the future. I hope it's something good.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But there's nothing to discuss. You're posting the same thread that tons of other folks already have about a lack of content literally a week after they've hired two new people so that they can produce more content. And sure, GB East is just a result of Vinny moving back, but now that's another outlet for separate content too. Alex just tweeted this morning that they shot their first QL.

As far as a lack of premium content goes, I'm actually happy about that. I subscribe because I believe that the GB folks have the most integrity and honestly of any games writers in the industry, and most of them are hilarious. I subscribe to fund them existing, not so I can get a special stream that no one else can see. (Or more accurately... watch their special stream on GB instead of just pirating them elsewhere)

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos said:

@thelegendofmart said:
@hunter5024 said:

I agree with what you are saying but they have had time after time, I get why Jeff might not want to bring TNT back but saying he wants new, fresh ideas and then nothing ever comes of it.

In the past year when was that time after time though? A lot of stuff happened in the past year to make things difficult for them. TNT was a free show as well. It was archived under premium but you could go to twitch and watch it there for free. I do think they should bring it back though.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelegendofmart said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@thelegendofmart said:
@hunter5024 said:

In the past year when was that time after time though? A lot of stuff happened in the past year to make things difficult for them. TNT was a free show as well. It was archived under premium but you could go to twitch and watch it there for free. I do think they should bring it back though.

That was only because they couldn't protect twitch streams, now they have switched you can't download premium streams anymore until they are archived.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ripelivejam

i am also all for constructive criticism, but the way OP is coming off is a little bit entitled and sarcastic, which i don't think is helping anything. i can understand being frustrated, but you also say you consume content only sporadically; not saying that's an excuse for the apparent lull but i'm just wondering why you would be upset about lack ol content if you're not a voracious consumer of it in the first place.

one thing alone is they're probably still reeling from the unexpected negative reaction the new hires got. that's enough to make anybody take a moment and second guess their entire operation. i know people have said "give them time" for a while now, but they just went through major changes to promote higher output of content so i'd say to the naysayers give them a little more.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethphotopoulos said:

@thelegendofmart said:

@sethphotopoulos said:

@thelegendofmart said:
@hunter5024 said:

That was only because they couldn't protect twitch streams, now they have switched you can't download premium streams anymore until they are archived.

All of those TNTs are still free though and when they made the switch to archive TNT in the premium category they still pointed you to the Twitch channel. I imagine if they did TNT again it'd be free from at least a streaming level so it's still not new premium content.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By cornbredx

I understand your frustration but you are looking at this all wrong.

There is always an excuse, oh they are just some small outfit in a tiny office, oh they just got bought now they have to have time to settle in, oh they have to pack up for E3, oh E3 is on, oh they have to unpack from E3, oh they have to pack for PAX, oh they have very little staff anymore, oh Vinnys left, oh they just took two new hires on, have to give them time to adjust.

These are excuses, sure, but they are also just facts of life. Video content takes time- time they often don't have. Granted at slow times of the year (like Summer) there is always less content and it's not entirely clear why, but I do know that they have more work to do than just what they do on screen.

I cant make excuses for them, because I only know partially what all they do (and I don't know them personally), but I do know they have to do a lot with a very small staff (even still) and this means certain areas will suffer sometimes.

It's very simple, though. I mean this is how it is because that is just how real life works. There is only so much time in a day. If you are to impatient to wait for realities than it's probably best if you not put you're money into it so you feel less like you're wasting it.

I am content waiting for them to do what they do, as it's always worth the wait for me, and we still get stuff all the time anyway. You do have a right to your position, but I think you're just being impatient. I mean, before Vinny left the SF office they were pumping out a massive amount of content and even during E3 they were. People are just impatient when it briefly goes slow.

I suspect GB NY will be getting content out soon. So, there is that to look forward to if you can be patient a little longer.

Just my thoughts on it, though.

Editr: So you know, TNT was never a premium stream. Only premium feature was the archive because the archive got little to no views and they did not want to archive it, but did so for paying subscribers who they consider people who will watch most, if not everything, they do on the site.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmmm, I want more Rorie's premium content.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i canceled the auto-renew on my subscription because, well contents been thin and pretty uninspired. I can't sit through an entire UPF anymore, it's just not fun to watch anymore. Plus thats been pretty much the only premium thing for awhile now.

I really hope they turn this around, stop with the retro gaming crap, do some interesting stuff instead. I'll absolutely resubscribe if they start putting out cool stuff again, it's just the last interesting premium stuff was breaking brad with demons souls and that was months ago.

Not mad or anything, i just dont see the point in paying for premium content when there is very little of it and its boring to watch (UPF really needs a change in format).

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By joshwent

@rorie said:

I apologize if that was disruptive, and I certainly didn't mean for my comment to be dismissive, it was honest advice.

I would never have suggested that in a thread about "New Ideas for Premium Content!" or "I Wish They'd Start Up These Premium Series Again". I'd love threads that actually attempted to generate ideas and the feedback which I'm sure is valued by you guys, but I didn't see any of that in the OP. This thread was presented as nothing more than yet another unproductive complaint, made even less welcoming by instantly discrediting any people who tried to "defend" the current state of content on the site.

Perhaps a more productive response would have been something along the lines of what Rorie said, that "More premium stuff is coming soon". But those sentiments, however ture, were also said to be something that the OP specifically didn't want to hear.

But again, I didn't mean to be unproductive myself, so I'll just leave it at that. Sorry.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By conmulligan

I'm not so much concerned with the volume of content than I am with the variety. At the moment it seems like pretty much all video content falls into either the Quick Look category or a multi-hour lifestream in the vein of UPF. I hope that now they have a couple more bodies, they can get back to doing some of the weirder stuff like GB Unplugged. This is slightly tangental, but I also kind of wish the SF office was better about bringing on guests. One of the reasons why I love the morning show so much is that it's a really good way to see different faces on the site, and it's always great when people like Drake and Muir show up on a stream. I think more of that would go a long way towards freshening up features like UPF.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: seems like more people than not really dig retro stuff, especially the couch competitive stuff, and jeff and the rest like doing it so it ms probably not going anywhere. plus others are doing really involved stuff with modern games so they probably don't think theycan compete wih that.

im personally more excited than i've been in awhile now that they have dan and jason. maybe self-stylized anime expert brad and mega Legend of Korra fan jason can start Anime Korner, i dunno.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I can agree, that at the moment, I'd like there to be more content. Although I understand that these things take time and planning. Hopefully there's an influx of cool premium streams in the coming weeks. That's what I'm expecting at least now that they're finally staffed up.

familyguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By familyguy1

Need more Puppy streams and Soda Machine beef!

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Clonedzero

@clonedzero: seems like more people than not really dig retro stuff, especially the couch competitive stuff, and jeff and the rest like doing it so it ms probably not going anywhere. plus others are doing really involved stuff with modern games so they probably don't think theycan compete wih that.

im personally more excited than i've been in awhile now that they have dan and jason. maybe self-stylized anime expert brad and mega Legend of Korra fan jason can start Anime Korner, i dunno.

If people really like all that retro stuff, thats fine. I just can't stand it. it's super boring to watch for me. I just dont see the point in paying for content i don't enjoy is my issue. If others like it, good for them.

Also, i don't see why they can't do more with more modern games, just because others are going into big levels of depth with them, why can't they? It's supposed to be a personality driven site right? So just because they might go as deep with a particular game as another place doesn't mean they can't still make it interesting to watch.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Corevi

All those streams you mentioned were one time things and whenever they have the free time or there's some kind of important day then we will get another. The SNES party only happened because they had just gotten the equipment to record the SNES, Mortal Monday happened because it was Mortal Monday, etc etc.

Recently they've been extremely short staffed though so there's been a shortage of those things, they will probably start happening again in a month.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ShaggE

They're getting used to the new office (heeeey, that actually kind of works again!).

But yeah, if nothing else, just bring back Random PC Game and Spookin', and I'll be happy. Or make FMVinny a thing.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Random PC Game was mostly a Dave thing unfortunately. Totally up for FMVinny though.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Content? It's Summertime, baby! Time to sit back and unwind!

There'll be an upswing in content soon. Probably. Maybe.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@athadam said:

@jimmyfenix said:

Don't be crazy.

Sounds like nonsense to me.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By whitegreyblack
@joshwent said:

[snipped for space]...GB East is just a result of Vinny moving back, but now that's another outlet for separate content too. Alex just tweeted this morning that they shot their first QL.

Isn't this part of the issue? I don't think a lot of people are clamoring to have upcoming additional content just be "more Quicklooks" (I do know there will be more than that, eventually). You might not care about premium content, but for many people that is one of the major selling points of the GB subscription. I, personally, don't care a lot about premium vs. free content, but I like (and want) the variety of different content and guests.

I second the motion for more "Rorie's Puppy Chat".