Which is the best year in video game releases in the past decade?

• 56 results
JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Poll Which is the best year in video game releases in the past decade? (268 votes)

2005 4%
2006 3%
2007 35%
2008 13%
2009 10%
2010 8%
2011 18%
2012 1%
2013 6%
2014 0%

So the last 10 years in gaming has been pretty awesome IMHO. I wanna know which one the Giant Bomb community thinks is the best in that timespan.

To help you make that decision, I've come up with lists of 10 of the biggest/most important games for each year. I haven't necessarily played all of the games I mention, but that's because I want to represent a broad range of games. AAA and indie, console and portable, Western and Japanese, single player and multiplayer, and genres of all kinds.

Don't be mad at me for including a particular game and leaving out a game you like! I had to leave off some games I genuinely adore to include more popular titles!

Resident Evil 4

God of War

Shadow of the Colossus

Guitar Hero

Civilization IV

Forza Motorsport

Psychonauts

Mario Kart DS

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Okami

LoZ: Twilight Princess

Gears of War

Kingdom Hearts II

TES: Oblivion

New Super Mario Bros.

Final Fantasy XII

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

Guitar Hero II

Company of Heroes

BioShock

Super Mario Galaxy

Portal

Persona 3

Team Fortress 2

COD: Modern Warfare

God of War II

Halo 3

Rock Band

Mass Effect

GTA IV

MGS4

Fallout 3

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Braid

LittleBigPlanet

Dead Space

Left 4 Dead

Persona 4

Rock Band 2

Uncharted 2

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Assassin's Creed II

Street Fighter IV

Dragon Age: Origins

COD: MW2

Borderlands

GTA: Chinatown Wars

Demon's Souls

Forza Motorsport 3

Mass Effect 2

Red Dead Redemption

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Bayonetta

Starcraft II

Civilization V

Darksiders

Super Meat Boy

Limbo

Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX

TES: Skyrim

Batman: Arkham City

Portal 2

Gears of War 3

Saints Row: The Third

LoZ: Skyward Sword

Rayman Origins

Minecraft

Bastion

Dark Souls

Journey

The Walking Dead

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Far Cry 3

Xenoblade Chronicles

Mass Effect 3

Dishonored

Fez

Hotline Miami

Spelunky

The Last of Us

GTA V

BioShock: Infinite

LoZ: A Link Between Worlds

Super Mario 3D World

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Gone Home

Papers, Please

The Stanley Parable

DOTA 2

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Bayonetta II

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Dark Souls II

Mario Kart 8

SSB Wii U

Shovel Knight

Alien: Isolation

Hearthstone

Divinity: Original Sin

Personally, 2013 is my favorite. TLOU is my personal GOAT, and I love the great mix of awesome AAA and indie games. Speaking "objectively", I can see the arguments for 08, 09, and 11. I love 2012 and I don't think 14 was as bad as some people think. 06 is actually what I think is the weakest year.

• 
JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the GB community would've had strong opinuons about this clearly very important debate! I'll just leave this up for a while to see if anybody else will vote.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

2011 and its not even close. Skyrim alone destroys all other years

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which year did Killer7 come out?
That one.

Also, OP, maybe bold the years in the list, makes it a bit easier to see.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

holy shit I don't know based on those lists I pick 2008-2013. I can't narrow it down more than that. I'd need a more comprehensive set of data to say for sure.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crembaw

Which year did Dead Space 2 come out?

That one.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

2009 had Uncharted 2 and Dragon Age Origins which are two of my favorite games. Assassins Creed II, A Crack in Time and Arkham Asylum are also excellent, and New Super Mario Bros Wii is some of the most fun I've had with a video game (though my friends played a part in that). So that'd probably be the year I'd pick.

2011 is pretty amazing too now that I'm looking at it. I'd say there were more games I enjoyed that year than any of the others on this list, but the ones I loved from other years I loved a little more. Except Bastion, that's another one of my all time favorites.

2013 is in a comfortable 3rd place spot. Another year with great game after great game, the only problem is a lot of them were sequels, and aside from some standout indies that year, none of the games really showed me anything new, they just did stuff I'd already seen really really well.

2007 is overrated but it brought me Persona 3 and Portal so it's still pretty awesome. 2012 was kinda forgettable, when I look back at my list for that year I see a lot of almosts. 2014 has the honorable distinction of being the shittiest year on this list. 2015 and 2016 are looking pretty rad though! Looking back at all these is making me itch to do game of the year lists for the ones I missed. I ain't gonna chomp Brodehouse's flavor though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I think listing Dota under 2013 is kind of hilarious

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

2010, it's mad strong. Galaxy 2, ME2 and Red Dead Redemption are three of the greatest games I've ever played. 2010 also had Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Bayonetta, God of War 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Street Fighter IV, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood etc. etc. Just an incredible year.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, Dark Souls, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Bastion, Mortal Kombat 9, Rayman Origins, Saints Row 3, Arkham City and Portal 2 all came out in the same year.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

'07, comfortably. At least the poll knows what's up.

The Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Crysis and Uncharted all deserve a mention from that year too.

Avatar image for yesconsiderably
YesConsiderably

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's between 2012 and 2013 for me. I think i'm going to have to go for the former as that was when my favourite game of all time - Risen 2: Dark Waters - was released. The Darkness II, Mass Effect 3 and Transformers: Fall of Cybertron are also games i love very much.

In addition to this, you also had the likes of Kingdoms of Amalur, Binary Domain, Spec Ops: The Line, The Walking Dead, Sleeping Dogs, Borderlands 2, Dishonoured, Xcom, Far Cry 3 and Black Ops II.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which year did Killer7 come out?

That one.

Also, OP, maybe bold the years in the list, makes it a bit easier to see.

Killer7 came out in 05, which makes it the fourth best year on this list IMO!

Because I love to rank things, here's my personal rankings:

2013 > 2012 > 2011 > 2005 > 2010 > 2009 > 2007 > 2008 > 2014 > 2006

I wrote this topic on mobile so there were no formatting options, and I don't know the code to bold! I would totally bold the years now, but for some stupid reason, I keep getting an error message when I try to edit the opening post.

@crembaw said:

Which year did Dead Space 2 come out?

That one.

Dead Space 2 came out in 2011. Another reason to think 2011 is a really strong year for games.

Not really a DOTA 2 player so I just looked up Wikipedia for the release date, and it says 2013!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By nightriff

Taking my personal taste into account, 2008 produced several top 10 games for me (1. Persona 4, 5. MGS4, 10. RB2) and the 2 games I've put the most time into out of any games ever (RB2 and Persona 4).

As a collective whole I would say 2011 but 2008 just has too many awesome games that are personal to me to ignore. The most surprising year is 2012, so many good smaller games that I could argue as the secret best year.

EDIT: God, can I just edit your post for you? Use bullet points for the games and bold the year so it doesn't just look like shit. If you are going to take the time to list everything you do, make it so it is slightly more eligible.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

While 2007 and 2011 were certainly great, my vote goes to 2009 for Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands and Uncharted 2.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrBroel

@hayt said:

Skyrim, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, Dark Souls, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Bastion, Mortal Kombat 9, Rayman Origins, Saints Row 3, Arkham City and Portal 2 all came out in the same year.

And Dead Space 2, Terraria, L.A. Noire, Ghost Trick, Uncharted 3, Super Mario 3D Land, Binding of Isaac, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Bulletstorm, Pushmo, Dead Island, To The Moon.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: dude i totally would but IT KEEPS GIVING ME AN ERROR MESSAGE SAYING I CAN'T

Again, I created this topic on my goddamn phone which for some reason doesn't have any formatting options.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@josephknows: I apologize then, could be because its a poll that its causing the error (?)

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

There's been a weird precedent set that says 2007 is the best year, and I think that is fucking crazy. Compare 2007 to 2008. Just look at the games. How can you say 07 was better? Because it had modern warfare?

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: Yeah, I could see that being the reason. These forums aren't exactly the best!

And yes, I'm quite surprised how 07 is comfortably leading! Maybe it's because people here REALLY love The Orange Box, BioShock, and Super Mario Galaxy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2012 is the best year off the top of my head.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really a DOTA 2 player so I just looked up Wikipedia for the release date, and it says 2013!

Right, but the original DotA WC3 mod started in 2003, and Dota 2 is literally just an extension of that, insofar as it's even run and designed by the same guy and has patch parity with DotA. Most people that wanted in have been in the beta since 2011-2012 and the first International was even in 2011.

I totally get why you'd include it and realize I'm mostly arguing semantics; I just think it's funny to include it. If I were making the list I would've just left it off entirely, but it's your list!

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2011 is the best, handily. 2010 and 2007 were pretty great, too.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2008 wins hands down. Far Cry 2, Person 4, Burnout Paradise, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Braid. There is no better year on the list.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

2006, Valkyrie Profile 2. 2005 and 2014 were good as well, along with 2011; though from 2009-2014 every year was good except 2012.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pcorb

I adored Skyrim and Dark Souls is probably my favourite game in a decade, if not of all time (a cliché, I know,but true nonetheless). Those games alone put 2011 way ahead of any other.

I was pretty disappointed with Deus Ex: HR that year though. I was a huge fan of the first game back in the day, but the few hours I played of HR just didn't grab me at all. Any of you duders think it's worth giving a second shot? Also I hate the black and gold aesthetic, but I can probably look past that. Probably.

Also, 2015 is looking pretty fantastic so far. I have literally been waiting years for a game like Cities Skylines and a game like Pillars of eternity to come along, and what do you know, they come out practically back to back and are better than I'd hoped. And if The Witcher 3 can refine the Witcher 2 in the way the Witcher 2 refined the original, I may finally like that series as much as I've wanted to for all these years.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JosephKnows

@ajamafalous: Based on my intimate knowledge of the game's fanbase (read: listening to Brad on the Bombcast), I assume those people love the game so much that they will vote for the actual year it was released. Doesn't matter if it's on a year they didn't play anything else!

@pcorb: My only experience with the original Deus Ex was fumbling through the tutorial and not even finishing the first level. If not for the boss fights in HR, I would have loved it. But because of those horrendously stupid encounters, I just think it's a REALLY good game. I guess if you were to ever go back to it, play the Director's Cut since it tweaked the boss fights so you could beat them using other methods than head to head combat. Shooting certainly isn't that game's strongest suit.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There was a post like this about a year ago. This was my post:

No Caption Provided

Looking at this I'd definitely have to say 2005, followed by 2010 and then 2011.

I would add 2014 to the list but it's out of the running before I even enter it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Objectively I say 2007, and personally I prefer 2013.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By armaan8014

2007 = Mass Effect, The Witcher, Portal, Crysis, TF2, Bioshock, CoD, Assassin's creed.. The year was so awesome that it bled into 2008 as well.

2013-14 have been boring

Also, I'm mad at you for not including the Witcher in 2007

You didn't even include Fable in 2005/06. Focus man!

2014 = Big names, Sh*t games

@jimbo said:

'07, comfortably. At least the poll knows what's up.

The Witcher, Assassin's Creed, Crysis and Uncharted all deserve a mention from that year too.

You sir, are correct. I like you

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007 was the year that defined the last generation. Mass Effect, COD4, Crysis, Assasins Creed etc. So much of the most influential shit

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough poll, but I had to go with 09. That Arkham - Souls one-two punch alone takes it for me. Uncharted 2, Borderlands and Assassin's Creed 2 are just icing on the cake. A lot of the stuff before 09 might have been more influential, but a lot of them like Mass Effect, Bioshock and Assassin's Creed 1 were rough copies that got better with later iterations. Short of maybe something like Skyrim, and the indie boom, I don't feel like games have gotten much better than they were in 09.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

2007 or 2011. I preferred 2011.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

A kinda hard choice between 2007, 2009 and 2011, I think. I ended up voting for 2011.

2011 was a really good year for RPG's, with Dark Souls, Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Pretty much every year has an argument to be made for why it's the best (that includes 2014, which some people still call "a bad year for games"). If I really had to choose I'd probably go with 2011.

Mostly for Dark Souls, Skyrim and Saints Row 3. Portal 2, Deus Ex, Mortal Kombat 9 and Alice: Madness Returns are pretty damn good too.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2011 is unstoppable with the Dark Souls, and Skyrim combo for me.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JJBSterling

Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 by themselves made 2007 a year with games I went back and played a hundred times after they released.

Plus it had games that I didn't get around to playing until later like Persona 3 and Team Fortress 2 as well as games like Assassins Creed and Mass Effect where they weren't the best games in the series, started it all.

Also Portal, my god.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007 for sure. Although personally, my favorite was 2009.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

• Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Street Fighter IV
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • COD: MW2
  • Borderlands
  • Demon's Souls
  • Forza Motorsport 3

Vs 2007

• BioShock
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Rock Band
  • Mass Effect

Kinda narrowed down the list to what I perceived as THE games of those years... I say 2009 wins it. Sequels don't do it for me unless they're THE number of the game to have (i.e. MW2>MW, Forza3 over other forzas). 2009 was such a good year for new IPs with the Arkham series, Dragon Age, Borderlands hitting the scene, Demon's Souls. 2007 was also Great with Bioshock, Portal, Mass Effect and Rock Band, though Rock Band was just a better version of something Guitar Hero introduced. Super Mario Galaxy was the Mario game people had been waiting for. In the end, 2009 is too strong for me. And again, all personal here for me.

Also... Format, brother, format.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ry_Ry

2008 was my pick. But Rouge Legacy almost wins just because of the amount of time I've spent on it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

For me, it's definitely 2007. At least in my mind, that year was basically the beginning of the modern era of games.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

2011 is missing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 2.

Also, my vote, though 2007 is a close second. Both years had plenty of games that could have taken Game of the Year in any other year.

JYoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, 2007 wins it for gracing us with Team Fortress 2. I bought two damn versions of that game and spent countless hours playing it. Plus I remember my time with Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed a lot of those games very fondly.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

2011 is hard to top.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007: Bioshock, MW4, Halo 3. Three of the biggest FPSs of the last generation, which one might say was defined by that genre.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007 wins, but 2011 has saints row the thrid...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh there's two games I like in X year so that's the one!

How about there are about thirty pretty great games that came out in 2010 and if you don't say 2010 then you're Al Qaeda.

skadave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By skadave

2011 also had Mortal Kombat 9 and LA Noire.

(it's funny. . . i automatically thought of 2011 before I read any of the listed games).

Avatar image for deactivated-640902c98a1cd
deactivated-640902c98a1cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last year did give us both Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 which is enough to put it super high up for me, but I'll still probably say 2010.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lysergica33

2007. Easily. Bioshock, CoD 4, AC1, Mass Effect 1, Halo 3...

pirateogta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007 > 2011 > 2008 > 2010 > 2013 > 2009 > 2012 > 2006 > 2014 > 2005