Which RPG should I lose my MMO virginity to?

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By Atlas
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cube

LOL WOOPS picked Aion. But dude just play WoW.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Atlas

So I'm thinking of popping my MMO cherry. I have flirted with the idea in the past, but I think I may well act upon it. Trouble is, I have no idea what is the best game to be someone's first MMO. The obvious answer is World of Warcraft, but I've heard so much shit be talked about WoW over the years that I've kinda developed a negative opinion of that game.

Some other things worth mentioning; I prefer Fantasy to Sci-Fi, and have a 2007 Dell XPS laptop that can run Oblivion pretty comfortably which I will using to play.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Can't go wrong with WoW. Also, it's not in your list but Lord of the Rings Online is pretty good.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jack268

WoW, EVE and LOTRO are my faves, lotros animations felt pretty awkward to me but the amount of stuff to do made up for that. 

WoW can't go wrong, I'm kinda tired of it now but I've been playing it 3 hrs+ per day for 5 years now. 

Imo EVE is cool because of the player interaction in it. 

You should also check out LOVE at:  http://quelsolaar.com/ I think it'll turn out just awesome. 

I dunno about Aion, I think STO looks okay, dunno if people will stay in it for too long though.  

The animations in GW are just WONKY and stiff. 

Runescape is free to play. I guess it's okay for a first mmo though, I had some good times playing it once.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daryl

None.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Atlas
@Daryl said:
" None. "
Thanks. That was very helpful.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards RuneScape because it's free. Are there any other free MMO's I should consider?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust

I'd go with a free trial of Warcraft or Warhammer before you invest any money into an MMO.  Warcraft is really the king and deservedly so, but Warhammer has made some improvements like the public quests, but it also has a noticeably smaller user base over WOW.  All games are going to have that in comparison, of course.  The question is how is the sense of community?  Personally, I'd stay away from any MMO that is primarily instanced based like Guild Wars, Champions and Star Trek Online if that is a priority for you.  Since a player keeps jumping from instance to instance, there is no sense of permanency on the server.  WoW is better on that front.  You'll run into the same folks over and over since you all reside on the same server.  I found that increases the chance of getting to know people.  But, as Jeff described when talking about Star Trek, if you want to play the MMO alone, then instanced is the way to go. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Milkman

World of Warcraft, no question. It's easy to get the hang of and accessible to pretty much anyone. Also, it's the best MMO you're going to find.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bigandtasty

I like how in every MMO-related thread, there's the obligatory comment about how the OP shouldn't play any of them, or he should stop playing them, or he should go outside.

He's just trying it. Jesus.

@Atlas

said:

"Thanks. That was very helpful.  At the moment, I'm leaning towards RuneScape because it's free. Are there any other free MMO's I should consider? "

If you're going free and you don't mind large downloads (keep in mind most large MMOs, especially WoW, will require huge patches anyway), I'd try Perfect World or Runes of Magic. Couldn't stand RuneScape, and I say that as someone who played WoW for a year. I can't put my finger on exactly what I disliked about RuneScape, but I turned it off after 5 minutes and never looked back.

Edit: Oh, totally forgot about trials of WoW. WoW trial is your best bet if you have a good connection to download gigabytes upon gigabytes of stuff.
_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By _Phara0h_

I played Eve for 3 or 5 day's and I was bored with it also it was a bit overwhelming the perspective of grinding to get more credits. So I recently played the STO Beta and I can't wait to play the final game OK some of the quests are a bit repetitive but the universe is very appealing to me as a Star Trek fan, also I found it pretty easy to pick up.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Fudgeblood

Definantly World of Warcraft.

Avoid RuneScape at all costs. Aion left a bad taste in my mouth, it was too grindy. Guild Wars isn't really an MMO. Not sure about the rest.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadeskye

Play WoW but i'm warning you. 

Get involved and that shit will steal your job, girlfriend, soul, toilet and finally your life.

Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Atlas
@jadeskye said:
" Play WoW but i'm warning you.  Get involved and that shit will steal your job, girlfriend, soul, toilet and finally your life. "
Good thing then that I have none of those things. Nothing to lose, nothing to gain. Excellent.
Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aeterna

Try lord of the rings, I believe there's a 2week trial. That's plenty of time to see if you like it. ;) 

Also it really depends on what kind of universe you're interested in.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Burns098356GX

Theres a reason why WoW is the dominate MMO...

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Steve_C
@Atlas said:
" @jadeskye said:
" Play WoW but i'm warning you.  Get involved and that shit will steal your job, girlfriend, soul, toilet and finally your life. "
Good thing then that I have none of those things. Nothing to lose, nothing to gain. Excellent. "
Except for weight.

Without playing any of them - so i'm obviously qualfied - i'd say WoW. It must be pretty easy to get into with the years of polish and refinement they've done with it. Then there's the massive userbase too obviously, so it won't die on you if you get into it.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

Considering WoW is the most popular of the bunch and that it's the most traditional of the sort, I'd recommend that.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Do Star Trek.  WoW is over-rated. And if you play other games, you won't have time for WoW or vice versa. It's a time sink best for people who play no other game.  Meanwhile, Star Trek seems to have the right balance & interest for sci-fi RPG & there really aren't that many sci-fi RPGs compared to fantasy (which are dime o' dozen imo).

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nukesniper

WoW is probably the most user-friendly. I played it for a long time and it does a good job of helping new players understand what the hell is going on most of the time.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn
@Jack268: I demand you relinquish your rights to that Icon 

Fine, i guess Rob Bowling is the only one with rights to it but dude, if i see you post im going to get very confused. 

Anyways, Star Trek is something new a different, i'd go with that, WOW may be the safe choice, but I think more long term fun is to be had with Star Trek, and it might be kind of cool to start with all the other new players instead of jumping into a game where people have been playing for years and know every little trick.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ajamafalous
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" Do Star Trek.  WoW is over-rated. And if you play other games, you won't have time for WoW or vice versa. It's a time sink best for people who play no other game.  Meanwhile, Star Trek seems to have the right balance & interest for sci-fi RPG & there really aren't that many sci-fi RPGs compared to fantasy (which are dime o' dozen imo). "
All MMOs are the same: they're only as much of a time sink as you make them.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@ajamafalous said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" Do Star Trek.  WoW is over-rated. And if you play other games, you won't have time for WoW or vice versa. It's a time sink best for people who play no other game.  Meanwhile, Star Trek seems to have the right balance & interest for sci-fi RPG & there really aren't that many sci-fi RPGs compared to fantasy (which are dime o' dozen imo). "
All MMOs are the same: they're only as much of a time sink as you make them. "
I hope so. I've heard that Champions Online could be completed in as little as two months (Cryptic made Champions Online as well as Star Trek Online).
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

Play the one that takes place in a universe you give a damn about. If you don't give a damn about any of them, wait for an MMO to come around that does take place there. Cus that's the big draw. Certainly not the "gameplay".

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
I hope so. I've heard that Champions Online could be completed in as little as two months (Cryptic made Champions Online as well as Star Trek Online). "
Well, I'd assume by "completed" they meant finish the end-game content [that was available at that time] with one character. If Champions is any good at all, I'm sure there've been a few patches so far and more to come. I can see them supporting STO more than Champions, however, simply because of the branding.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
@Lind_L_Taylor said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
I hope so. I've heard that Champions Online could be completed in as little as two months (Cryptic made Champions Online as well as Star Trek Online). "
There are twi huge things they could do immediately that would quintule the length of the game. 
1- Make borgs a playable faction 
2- Make holodeck missions that relive big moments from all of the shows. 

The holodeck alone, in theory, makes the game potentially practically endless. 
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ghostiet

Atlantica Online, man. It's really good, has some decent ideas and most importantly it's not filled with fuckwads. That last part is something that's puzzling me to this day.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Seriously, if you're going to play an MMO, play the best; get WoW. Not only has WoW gone out of it's way to make the game both accessible to newbies and the hardcore, but the game has been around for 5 years and shows no sign of stopping.  

Just play the best and most established. Get addicted, then quit like the rest of us, and come back at every big patch/expansion, and repeat the cycle.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daryl
@Atlas said:
" @Daryl said:
" None. "
Thanks. That was very helpful.  At the moment, I'm leaning towards RuneScape because it's free. Are there any other free MMO's I should consider? "
I played RuneScape a lot when I was younger. But that was when I was naive. It seems fun at first but eventually it dawns on you how boring it really is. Why not try Guild Wars? I had a fun time playing that and there are zero subscription fees. 
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Diamond

I'd say wait until another certified good MMO comes along.  It's stupid to buy a game just because of the genre when the entire selection sucks so much.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

I could ask this question also.  

I want my first time to be really special, which is why I'm waiting on Star Wars: TOR

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
@Bobby_The_Great said:
" Seriously, if you're going to play an MMO, play the best; get WoW. Not only has WoW gone out of it's way to make the game both accessible to newbies and the hardcore, but the game has been around for 5 years and shows no sign of stopping.   Just play the best and most established. Get addicted, then quit like the rest of us, and come back at every big patch/expansion, and repeat the cycle. "
Scept its full of idiots. Thing is, WoW has been around for a while, long enough that newer MMOs have basically built on what they started. So if you've never played an MMO, and essentially Aion and WoW play about the same scept you like how Aion looks more, why not go with Aion? 
Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Interfect

I voted for WoW.. but Guild  Wars has a really solid PVP with a.. well not so solid PVE

DeadlyCyclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeadlyCyclone
WoW would be the best bet, I'd almost wait for Cataclysm though, since it will reshape most of the beginning zones.
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

There's a reason WoW is the biggest; it's by far the best. They do pretty much everything right, which is why other developers take their interface and framework from it. It's pretty beginner friendly and becoming even more so from what I hear [I stopped playing  a few years ago] but still goes deep enough to offer interesting end game content.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By AndrewB
@Linkyshinks said:
" I could ask this question also.   I want my first time to be really special, which is why I'm waiting on Star Wars: TOR "
But WoW is older, and has more experience. She'll know how to give you the time of your life.
EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EvolutionX0

either star trek online or wait for the SW:TOR one. I never liked WoW

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidS

Eve has a 2 week free trial so I say give that a go. I'm not into Sci-Fi but play eve. Probebly because it is unforgiving and like to kill things that actually matter to people.  
It is hard to get into at first but if you want to give it a go PM me and would be happy to show you around.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By TheHBK

Guild Wars, no monthly fee, can't beat that.  Or wait for Old Republic which is what might get me into a MMO full time.  Only played WOW for the 60 days it came with, not impressed.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By maxszy
@Atlas: World of Warcraft. There is a reason it is so popular. It is the best MMO ever made that is currently out there right now. Sure there's a lot of shit talked about it but that's for numerous reasons that none of which affect someone like you who have never played an MMO before. Its for those who have poured multiple years of their life into the game that at one point, it becomes all the same. (I played WoW for two-years, at a point it gets too much.) But initial reactions of the games are "Holy shit, this is amazing."

So yeah, put your preconceptions aside, and play the juggernaut of the MMO sphere. It is a good place to start. No matter what anyone says.

Or as @Linkyshinks says, wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic. That, that is going to be a glorious experience. Though that is still probably about 15 months away at the earliest.
nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nikral

If you want a free MMO try Runes of Magic, but otherwise I'd say try out WoW. WoW was the first MMO I paid for, and I had fun with it for quite awhile, until the first expansion came out.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@ajamafalous said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
Well, I'd assume by "completed" they meant finish the end-game content [that was available at that time] with one character. If Champions is any good at all, I'm sure there've been a few patches so far and more to come. I can see them supporting STO more than Champions, however, simply because of the branding. "
Yeah, there is supposed to be a huge patch in the works, so probably there will be plenty of content on the way. They're also still serious about getting the Champions Online to the Xbox.

@ryanwho said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
There are twi huge things they could do immediately that would quintule the length of the game. 1- Make borgs a playable faction 2- Make holodeck missions that relive big moments from all of the shows.  The holodeck alone, in theory, makes the game potentially practically endless.  "
Yeah. Holodeck might be a build-your-own adventure type of thing too.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Barrock

World of Warcraft without question. Stick with it, too. It gets even better in the 60's and 70's. The quests at 70 are mind blowingly awesome.

happyfatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By happyfatman

If you want a good MMO that's free, Guild Wars is a definite contender.  I gotta say though, that City of Heroes is a fantastic game that has a very robust character creator (not as big as Champions Online, but it's still impressive).  I'd think Champions Online would be a good choice as well if it's anything as good as City of Heroes.  That is, unless you don't want a superhero MMO, in which case I totally recommend Guild Wars.

Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Tarakun

As someone who played WoW for a while, I recommend it. You won't feel bad until after you quit (which will take you a while).  

If you don't want the full commitment, I also recommend Guild Wars. The PvP is superb

Either way, you should try to bring a friend with you if you can. This type of game is exponentially more fun with more people. 

Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lestater

World of Warcraft because it's not to difficult and people are actually on the servers.

Avatar image for noodlespinningguy
NoodleSpinningGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadeskye said:
You just earned my win of the day; i must say that there's a lot of WoW geek i know that game can get u addicted to it but...ain't worth it 
Try multiple type of game ,I could recommend GW not that addictive but cool game
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Turambar

There are ultimately only two things that you need to consider for an MMO that will actually matter.

1.  Play the one that your friends play.
2.  Play the one set in a world you're interested in.

I can honestly say I have had fun in MMOs like RO and that was always because I was playing it with friends, and not because of the game.  Similarly, the lastest STO drew me in because I was flying the fucking Enterprise-D and firing all phasers, and going back in time to save Kirk's ass.  WoW, a game that was suppose to be "the best" failed to make me interested because it lacked both.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mano521

since none isnt an option just wait for the old republic cuz that is what i plan to lose my  MMO abstency to