Whiskey Media Meebo Toolbar?

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vinsanityv22

I just had to check about this. There's a Meebo Toolbar that appears on the bottom of all Whiskey Media sites that I've noticed. Is it a feature they actually added to the site, or do I have to go hunt down some malware on my computer that installed it's shitty plugin to Firefox? It doesn't happen to any other site I go to, so I'm thinking it's legit. But what the fuck does it "add" to the Whiskey sites besides annoying ads? Pretty much every browser toolbar, I assume, is associated with malware.

Oh well. If I have to choose between a toolbar or that fucking stupid 30 sec. Dead Island ad, I'll take my Meebo toolbar and stop complaining. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't showing up only on my computer.

kentobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

I have the toolbar too, so it's not just you.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vinsanityv22

Thank you guys - particularly the link, Kentobi. That also explained why I've recently seen some Quick Looks (namely, Kirby: Return to Dreamland) as a youtube embed.

Just wanted to make sure ;)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Barrock

You guys should JOIN US!

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By thebigJ_A

I was about to flip out about this, then I realized I wasn't logged in for some reason (why is it that every so often I'll just not be logged in when I come here, anyway?).

It does seem kind of... tacky. But if it helps the site, I'm ok with it. 'Specially since I don't have to see it!

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By project343

Yay premium! ^_^

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Laksa

the meebo toolbar is absolutely horrible. makes gb look like a trashy site.  filter it out with adblock > add meebo.com to the filter list. disgusting.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By louiedog

See that icon on the far right of the bar? Clicking it hides it and that choice will persist as you browse the site.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Yes, but what does it DO?

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By allgrinzz

Future reference, where is the option to turn off youtube videos as a premium member? I really dislike youtube video and would prefer the old player with HD at all times...

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donatoqueen

You might be interested in this

I was signed out of my membership today and started to get full screen popups. The look and feel of them suggested it was related to this toolbar.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/gbfullscreenpop.jpg

Popups were only for Giantbomb and I have not seen any since signing back in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eca34e37141a
deactivated-5eca34e37141a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe you people don't use NoScript. Crazy bastards.

blarfmarfle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blarfmarfle

I really, really hate the Meebo bar. Happily I'm a premium member, so it's fine when I remember to log in.

Just a suggestion: Why not allow premium members to buy advertising space? Not for the homepage, obviously, but it would be fun to have custom "ads" on some of the landing pages that link to forum posts or make jokes. For example, some of the user content I never see because I spend most of my time on the main video pages, but if there were funny/clever ads that linked to a user's video or photoshop I would probably click them.

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I was browsing Tested from work and totally missed the toolbar. If something like that drives you crazy, like "I need to pay fifty bucks so this will go away"... Seek out counseling.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blarfmarfle said:

I really, really hate the Meebo bar. Happily I'm a premium member, so it's fine when I remember to log in.

Just a suggestion: Why not allow premium members to buy advertising space? Not for the homepage, obviously, but it would be fun to have custom "ads" on some of the landing pages that link to forum posts or make jokes. For example, some of the user content I never see because I spend most of my time on the main video pages, but if there were funny/clever ads that linked to a user's video or photoshop I would probably click them.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

On Topic: If you hide the bar it will only fill up a tiny bit of he screen on the bottom right.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sparklykiss

@blarfmarfle said:

That is the scariest idea I have ever heard.

...But I would probably anger a lot of people by making MLP jokes or linking to Pass The Whiskey... Be interesting if people used it to advertise any community driven events from the other family of sites. Although I don't see it being used that way at all. So in the end that'd be gross.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By kerikxi

Y'know, when it first showed up, I minimized it, and it hasn't popped up again since. Just a little up arrow in the corner of my window. So, misplaced rage I guess?

yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By yorro

@kingando420 said:

I can't believe you people don't use NoScript. Crazy bastards.

This

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By xMP44x

I don't even see the Meebo bar, despite having it enabled. Strange, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. If it, for some reason, manages to annoy me enough I'll AdBlock it or find another solution. I support the Whiskey guys, though, so I'm hoping that it won't be intrusive enough to damage one of the best gaming communities on the internet.

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By kmg90

I was almost going to a make another topic regarding the worthlessness of Membo, I'm not a privacy paranoid person but I HATE external 3rd party widgets

They slow sites down (facebook and twitter are the worst) and track your web browsing habits. Meebo on Whiskey Media websites? I won't touch it with 10-foot pole, have you seen meebo's privacy policy?

So much for privacy
So much for privacy

Even if you DON'T use the Meebobar it's tracking you and all your web browsing. It even sniffs your referring URL.

DOES WHISKEY MEDIA HAVE A PRIVACY POLICY?

Short answer = NO

Long answer = NO!

Question for premium members, do you see the meebobar? if not could you still check the page source of a Giant Bomb page (or any whiskey media site) and see if you can find this at the bottom of the page

The meebo tracker, if you see this
The meebo tracker, if you see this

Your being tracked via Meebo...

donatoqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By donatoqueen

@xMP44x said:

I don't even see the Meebo bar, despite having it enabled. Strange, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. If it, for some reason, manages to annoy me enough I'll AdBlock it or find another solution. I support the Whiskey guys, though, so I'm hoping that it won't be intrusive enough to damage one of the best gaming communities on the internet.

Agree. :)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Kazona

@kmg90: I checked, and the meebo code isn't there when logged in.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Kazona

@allgrinzz said:

Future reference, where is the option to turn off youtube videos as a premium member? I really dislike youtube video and would prefer the old player with HD at all times...

When you play a video you can choose what you want (streaming, progressive, html5, youtube), and it'll remember your choice.

Dredlockz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dredlockz

@xMP44x:

oh whew, it went away when I logged into my premium account.

It's really bad.