Who dropped the ball most???

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Of all three console manufacturers this generation, who do you feel has had the most major ball droppage? To show you where they have dropped the ball, I have a short list:

Xbox: RRoD, of course. The disc drive problem and a lack of XBL servers also have been faults.
PS3: 600 bucks at launch, difficult development, large amounts of delays on games.
Wii: Motion control imprecision at launch,  E3 2008,  "abandonment of the hardcore."

What do you think? I won't post my opinions, because I want the general tone of the article to be neutral. No flaming of one another, and correct grammar is a plus.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

Well I know most of the Xbox people have not had any sort of ball droppage.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ArchScabby

wii, because when it comes down to it the games are all that matter, and the wii definatly doesn't have those.  Even the new third party games everyone is talking about like the conduit don't look very good.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Oh god, Nintendo all the way.

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Giantkitty
ArchScabby said:
"wii, because when it comes down to it the games are all that matter, and the wii definatly doesn't have those.  Even the new third party games everyone is talking about like the conduit don't look very good."

"... games are all that matter, and the wii definatly doesn't have those"

Why no, the Wii hasn't come out with a game at all. People buy it, turn it on and do nothing.
Somehow they're selling well, although they had a problem for a while with not making enough Wii's to meet demand.

Anyways I'd say the Playstation's launch fiasco was the worst for dropping the ball. But at least they're recovering.
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nintendo. What the hell happened?

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Teh_Eel

PS3 delayed launch and lack of games, but its improving. The wii for being all casual.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThomasP

RROD or the launch of the PS3.

Third party support for the Wii.

The whole casual thing is bogus because Nintendo is still releasing core games on a schedule like they did with their other consoles such as the GC. Just because they release Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Wii Music and the Brain Ages series some people seem to think that Nintendo is only focusing on the casual which is just not true. They focus on both.

Nintendo has lost focus on third party support though IMO. Hopefully they gain some ground with WiiWare.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchScabby
Giantkitty said:
"ArchScabby said:
"wii, because when it comes down to it the games are all that matter, and the wii definatly doesn't have those.  Even the new third party games everyone is talking about like the conduit don't look very good."

Why no, the Wii hasn't come out with a game at all. People buy it, turn it on and do nothing.
Somehow they're selling well, although they had a problem for a while with not making enough Wii's to meet demand.

Anyways I'd say the Playstation's launch fiasco was the worst for dropping the ball. But at least they're recovering."
don't take things so literal, you know what I mean when I say the wii doesn't have games.  Also the wii doesn't sell games very well, yeah a lot of people are buying it, but they just play wii sports for a month and then it goes in the storage closet.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

I believe Nintendo dropped the ball. It may not show in the number, but personally I feel the system is a joke and that WiiMotion+ is worse than the 360's RROD. I know that most everyone will not agree with me at all, but that is just my opinion.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Kush said:
"I believe Nintendo dropped the ball. It may not show in the number, but personally I feel the system is a joke and that WiiMotion+ is worse than the 360's RROD. I know that most everyone will not agree with me at all, but that is just my opinion."
What do you mean by Wii Motion+ being like RRoD? How do they compare?
ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThomasP
Arkthemaniac said:
"Kush said:
"I believe Nintendo dropped the ball. It may not show in the number, but personally I feel the system is a joke and that WiiMotion+ is worse than the 360's RROD. I know that most everyone will not agree with me at all, but that is just my opinion."
What do you mean by Wii Motion+ being like RRoD? How do they compare?"
Yeah man. They don't compare. The Wiimote has been a success for Nintendo and the RROD a failure for Microsoft.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kush
Arkthemaniac said:
"What do you mean by Wii Motion+ being like RRoD? How do they compare?"
In my eyes RROD = the system came out prematurely. That the 360 wasn't ready to come out. WiiMotion+ makes me believe that the Wii came out prematurely. A system based around motion controls didn't come out with full 1:1 response. You can read my full belief on this subject here. It's my opinion and I don't expect people to agree. The RROD is easy to hate against and I'm not talking about who dropped the ball financially. I am mentioning who I think screwed over gamers the most. Like it or not, it's my opinion.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac

One of the main arguments supporting Wii Motion+ not coming at launch was that it would have made the system more expensive than it should have been, therefore not catering to the appeal of some. I think it should have been at launch, but I understand their reasoning for it not being at launch. I could in no way compare it to RRoD. That's like comparing Hitler to Kurt Kobain because they both supposedly committed suicide.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush

Saying my comparison between between MS/RROD and Nintendo/WiiMotion+ is like comparing Hitler and Kurt Kobain because they both supposedly committed suicide is just disgusting and sick. I'm sorry that everyone here loves to hate the RROD so much. How about this: The 360/RROD is as bad as the PS2 and it's orignal design. Oh, wait...the PS2 was a great system and any hardware issue they had is ok because it's Sony. Whatever, I just hate the way people accept all the crap Nintendo does...

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Giantkitty
ArchScabby said:
"Giantkitty said:
"ArchScabby said:

Anyways I'd say the Playstation's launch fiasco was the worst for dropping the ball. But at least they're recovering."
don't take things so literal, you know what I mean when I say the wii doesn't have games.  Also the wii doesn't sell games very well, yeah a lot of people are buying it, but they just play wii sports for a month and then it goes in the storage closet."

No I don't know what you mean. It doesn't have enough games? The games suck? Not enough hardcore games? You can only do those exercise things on it? If you don't want to be lampooned, don't make such vague statements. I'm not playing guessing games as to what you could mean. All I got from you is "I'm a Wii hater"

As to the games not selling well, just go to Wikipedia - Mario Galaxy  has sold over 6 million copies, for instance.
Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Major

Sony. No question.

800$ launch, terrible online in till now, a shit-ton of SKUs, axing BC, axing flash card readers, axing SACD support, poor amount of downloadable games, no XMB or trophies at launch, delaying Home and Life a ton, alienating third and first party developers, being too damn cheap to bother with exclusives.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By dsplayer1010

Nintendo

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blu_Magic

Nintendo.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Well, the Wii just doesn't cater well enough for all people.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By DARKIDO07
Giantkitty said:
"ArchScabby said:
"Giantkitty said:
"ArchScabby said:

don't take things so literal, you know what I mean when I say the wii doesn't have games.  Also the wii doesn't sell games very well, yeah a lot of people are buying it, but they just play wii sports for a month and then it goes in the storage closet."

No I don't know what you mean. It doesn't have enough games? The games suck? Not enough hardcore games? You can only do those exercise things on it? If you don't want to be lampooned, don't make such vague statements. I'm not playing guessing games as to what you could mean. All I got from you is "I'm a Wii hater"

As to the games not selling well, just go to Wikipedia - Mario Galaxy  has sold over 6 million copies, for instance."
 Actually in terms of software, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 are selling software like crazy. Wii on the other hand is selling systems like crazy and software not so much, yeah Super Smash Bros: Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy sold well ofcourse becuase those are hardcore games, that tend to come in rare short bursts. Face it, Wii dropped the ball more so than Sony or Microsoft did with the launch of their systems. When you have a game like Wii Play for instance selling more than Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros: Brawl, you realize that audience that Nintendo is aiming at isn't hardcore. Also with Kush, I agree Wii Motion + does = the Red Ring of Death. The Wii was always supposed to support 1:1 motion senseing that was one thing promised at launch (like a lot) that didn't come true (such as online play, and WiiConnect24, both of which were not what Nintendo said they were), so now Nintendo expects you to drop $40 PER Wiimote so you can have 1:1 sensing. Now lets say you have four Wiimotes, that comes out to $160 (roughtly the ammount of money you would spend to have your RROD fixed if it was out of Warrenty, which isn't a problem seeing Microsoft had a one year warrenty on the Xbox 360 and now three year warrenty and free RROD fixes even if your warrenty is expired. Microsoft even refunds your month of Xbox Live.) you have to spend so you can do something the console was supposed to be able to do. To make things worse they showcase this awesome power of technology and video game advancement with...Wii Sports 2, c'mon now, seriously! The Wii is so much wasted potential that the Wii-mote comes off as a gimmicky when it shouldn't it should have "Revolutionized" gaming.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Kush said:
"Saying my comparison between between MS/RROD and Nintendo/WiiMotion+ is like comparing Hitler and Kurt Kobain because they both supposedly committed suicide is just disgusting and sick.
Exactly. That's why I did it.
SaitenMar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SaitenMar

I'd go with the Wii, because as much as I wanted to love it. It all felt to much like a gimic in the end. XBOX 360 as been solid enough with good online services and I have never had any RROD Problems *touch wood*. I also like the PS3 a lot and think its had a solid start.

But the Wii was way way overhyped. I'll happily admit I hardly play it now and have little care for games coming out for the system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nintendo. xbox hardware problems are slowly going away, and ps3s library is getting better. also i heard that ps online is getting better. nintendos real 3 pillars are now wii sports, wii fit, and wii music. seriously, why did they screw over their real fans? casual fans may not be back the next generation, and hardcore fans have moved on.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RetroIce4

Nintendo messed up so bad. This is like the downfall. I rarely play me Wii now because there are no good games except Smash right now... and that is pretty much it.

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By jlaudio7

Nintendo. Wii was OK the first year around. after i got a 360 last christmas, wii = dust collector. I brush it off every few months to play smash bros brawl....for an hour tops. After watching E3 2008, im contemplating on whether to sell it, keep it, or just beat the living shit out of it with a sledge hammer and take pics. Thats how angry I am at nintendo.

agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By agent_lost

ok, Nintendo, they drop something, it not the ball but it hardcore fan base. Let face it, were no longer there tagger costumer. It look like Nintendo is doing a switch from making games to software to help you organize your life. Just look the software on DS, Brain Age, Brain Academy, Nintendog, the map of Tokyo or the cooking book, can you even call them game anymore.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Agent_Lost said:
"ok, Nintendo, they drop something, it not the ball but it hardcore fan base. Let face it, were no longer there tagger costumer. It look like Nintendo is doing a switch from making games to software to help you organize your life. Just look the software on DS, Brain Age, Brain Academy, Nintendog, the map of Tokyo or the cooking book, can you even call them game anymore."
Well, according to Nintendo, they're more interesting than games.
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By xruntime

This thread might as well be renamed "which console do you hate the most, 360 fanboys, ps3 fanboys, and wii fanboys".

The 360 fans will say the PS3
The PS3 fans will say the 360
The Wii fans will say the 360 and the PS3

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DARKIDO07
xruntime said:
"This thread might as well be renamed "which console do you hate the most, 360 fanboys, ps3 fanboys, and wii fanboys".

The Wii fans will say the 360 and the PS3"
Well so far I think its the Wii that people say dropped the ball, not much like you planed it out.....
SlayingShogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SlayingShogun

nintendo...(sigh) i regret ever buying the wii what a fail console

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By Dalai

I guess it depends.  Hardcore gamers will say Nintendo dropped the ball by going ultra-casual... that is not going to change for quite some time.  I can see why people are saying that now, especially since Nintendo has nothing really lined up for the core base, except for maybe Animal Crossing: City Folk.

However from a business standpoint, both Microsoft and Sony dropped the ball.  The Red Ring of Death snafu cost Microsoft way too much money, which is a shame because they have been solid on most fronts.  Sony simply released something that was too ahead of its time... sure Blu-ray won the format war, but it cost Sony way too much money and their casual base.  $600 for a launch console is a lot and $400 is still too much for many.  Nintendo, on the other hand, is swimming in cash thanks to their cheaper hardware and crazy-high 1st party sales.  Nintendo made billions while Sony and Microsoft have lost billions.

Wijeeba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wijeeba
xruntime said:
"This thread might as well be renamed "which console do you hate the most, 360 fanboys, ps3 fanboys, and wii fanboys".

The Wii fans will say the 360 and the PS3"
Ummm, I'm a 360 fan and I'm saying the 360... stupid RROD
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Player1
DualReaver said:
"Well I know most of the Xbox people have not had any sort of ball droppage."
Wow...this guy wins. At life. And at everything possible.
Maybe the best post I've ever seen. 
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By BiggerBomb

The Wii. I like my Wii but I've been really disappointed with it.