Why regular fans are sometimes no better than fanboys (Rant)

• 58 results
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Godites

The similarity with regular fans and fanboys/girls of a genre or a medium is that they’re biased to their own opinion.   

Hold on, doesn't that make us all fanboys and fangirls? 

Not really, there’s a difference in how it’s expressed, the fanatics are overly zealous and make ramblings such as: “This blah is the best of all time, it’s better than blah, blah, blah!” On the other side you have moderate fans trying to set the standards tend to put their biased ideals out there and shove it to others, especially in the case of video games (Of course not all regular fans). It seems like there’s an unwritten law as in what is supposed to be hated and what’s supposed to be respected.  

Examples could be: 

• It's okay to hate Halo and Call of Duty, but respect Half-Life and Team Fortress 2
  • Hate Oblivion, but respect Morrowind
  • Hate Final Fantasy, but respect Persona
  • Hate Alan Wake, but respect Deadly Premonition
  • Hate BioShock, but respect System Shock 2
etc. 

They even generalize the fanbase and the demographic of something in order to justify their “opinions” towards the things they hate. This is the case for video games as well.  

For example:  
  • Madden is for fratboys
  • Halo is for twelve year-olds
  • World of WarCraft is for 40 year-old virgins
  • Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are for artsy gamer snobs
  • Final Fantasy is for anti-social otakus

Do you see where I'm going with this? 

What I also find that’s totally messed up, let’s say there’s an insult towards a hated genre or a medium, the fans of that medium or genre should learn how to take the insults to take them as opinions and learn not to take them as jokes. Honestly, I think the “take opinion” phrase is misused and overused. I would rather say to folks that they should try to understand that there are different opinions out there. Plus, there’s a difference between what is an opinion and an insult, and people honestly seem to confuse the two all the time these days which is ridiculous.

• “It sucks!”
  • “It’s overrated!”
  • “It’s shit!”
  •  “It fails!”

Those are insults compared to the in-depth criticisms on what someone could say about something they don’t like. Even if you have an opinion, to say: “take it and respect it” is an arrogant statement. It’s the equivalent of stating that your word is final and that’s end of the argument. Just because you’re entitled to your opinion, it does not mean it cannot be contested, debated or argued. A lot people often use “it’s my opinion” to excuse themselves from criticism.

Remember, I’m not talking about extreme fanatics, because many people I know and you know are guilty of this (I have to confess, that I used to be guilty of this too). In most cases of “take others opinions” are used, aren’t you the ones trying to prove that there’s different views out there? Which means your word is not the final word. Even if you have several people supporting you, that doesn’t mean that you’re right either. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion, we all know that. Nazis have opinions, the KKK has opinions, serial killers and even rapists have an opinion. But you wouldn’t take it if they just told you to would you? 

Even if you did respect his opinion, he would still kill you. 

I'd promote that if you disagree, do it in a respectful, constructive and intelligent manner, rather than to burst a blood vessel or come off with a condescending smartass comment. In speaking of taking insults and taking opinions to something that is hated on, in the case of the Halo franchise, not only is it overrated to praise the series, but it’s now far more overrated to bash it. Yes, I said it. Anybody have a problem with that? Well, in the words of the late Bernie Mac:

"I ain't scared of you motherfuckers!"
- Bernie Mac 1957 - 2008

Everybody has something to say about the Halo franchise and yet most say nothing new about it, and people are starting not to have a legitimate reason to hate the series in the first place (I don’t even like the Halo series nor do I think it's overrated, but so what?). Now people just listen to what any ranter talks smack and they just say that they agree, worse is when the person attains a lot of supporters and fans. Ugh. It’s as if majority of these supporters act as if they don’t have a mind of their own. The ranter could say something like: “Eat shit, it taste like chocolate fudge” and people would agree just like that.

Few of these insults, they have the audacity to say to the fans of the hated game that they should learn to take opinions. I don’t care if it’s addressed to the Halo fanboys, yeah they should learn that there are other points of view out there, but half the time it’s not even an opinion. Knowing how the extreme fanatics of this series act already, why are you still pushing these so called *clears throat* “opinions” out there? Some of us need to stop acting like their crap doesn’t stink, because all of this is just instigating drama and flamewars in the first place.

• “Halo sucks ass!”
  • “Halo is the most overrated game franchise” 
  • “They should call it Gaylo”
  • “Fuck Halo” 
  •  “lolhalo”
  • “Halotards need to stop thinking that it’s the best game ever!”

These comments are… it’s…. Uh… *sigh* Fuck it I’m just going to say it: This is accepted trolling! When did we degrade ourselves to become haters and trolls? It’s like we put comments out there and claim them as “opinions” when it’s clearly said just to piss off the fanbrats to start off drama and flamewars.  

No Caption Provided

Also, let’s not all act as if someone insult something we like we wouldn’t care. Maybe for some, but come on, others know that we don’t take insult to things as jokes or as “opinions” so well. This is where the bias and double standard bullshit comes in. Let’s say I would talk about Superman 64 and say that it sucks, almost everyone would agree, no problems and no rebuttals. However, if I would start insulting the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise (I never played any of the games, but I know a lot of people love them), then I would get a lot of flame comments and see comments on how I don’t know anything about games {I’m actually imagining it right now}. But if would say in my defense: “Respect other people’s opinions” it wouldn’t work now would it? If someone were to say to me: “Splinter Cell sucks hobo’s ass” I would ask Why or say “Different strokes, different folks. Oh well, I'll be busy mark and executing.” That’s it.

In conclusion, everybody that I stated in these rant need to get it together. Cut the whining, the moaning, and the complaining, and please stop making threads about who said this and who did that. Also, if you have a different opinion out there, it does not mean you are right either, and you won’t prove anything by just forcing someone’s throat either. If it’s not hard to be labeled as a fucking nerd already, but to deal with this shit? I’m sorry to say this but it comforts me that most of this happens on the internet, because if we would do this face to face, then we would eat the shit out each other like cannibals just to prove our point.  

Looking at this picture on the internet is eerie. It practically symbolizes almost every internet argument. 
Looking at this picture on the internet is eerie. It practically symbolizes almost every internet argument. 
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Godites

The similarity with regular fans and fanboys/girls of a genre or a medium is that they’re biased to their own opinion.   

Not really, there’s a difference in how it’s expressed, the fanatics are overly zealous and make ramblings such as: “This blah is the best of all time, it’s better than blah, blah, blah!” On the other side you have moderate fans trying to set the standards tend to put their biased ideals out there and shove it to others, especially in the case of video games (Of course not all regular fans). It seems like there’s an unwritten law as in what is supposed to be hated and what’s supposed to be respected.  

Examples could be: 

• It's okay to hate Halo and Call of Duty, but respect Half-Life and Team Fortress 2
  • Hate Oblivion, but respect Morrowind
  • Hate Final Fantasy, but respect Persona
  • Hate Alan Wake, but respect Deadly Premonition
  • Hate BioShock, but respect System Shock 2
etc. 

They even generalize the fanbase and the demographic of something in order to justify their “opinions” towards the things they hate. This is the case for video games as well.  

For example:  
  • Madden is for fratboys
  • Halo is for twelve year-olds
  • World of WarCraft is for 40 year-old virgins
  • Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are for artsy gamer snobs
  • Final Fantasy is for anti-social otakus

Do you see where I'm going with this? 

What I also find that’s totally messed up, let’s say there’s an insult towards a hated genre or a medium, the fans of that medium or genre should learn how to take the insults to take them as opinions and learn not to take them as jokes. Honestly, I think the “take opinion” phrase is misused and overused. I would rather say to folks that they should try to understand that there are different opinions out there. Plus, there’s a difference between what is an opinion and an insult, and people honestly seem to confuse the two all the time these days which is ridiculous.

• “It sucks!”
  • “It’s overrated!”
  • “It’s shit!”
  •  “It fails!”

Those are insults compared to the in-depth criticisms on what someone could say about something they don’t like. Even if you have an opinion, to say: “take it and respect it” is an arrogant statement. It’s the equivalent of stating that your word is final and that’s end of the argument. Just because you’re entitled to your opinion, it does not mean it cannot be contested, debated or argued. A lot people often use “it’s my opinion” to excuse themselves from criticism.

Remember, I’m not talking about extreme fanatics, because many people I know and you know are guilty of this (I have to confess, that I used to be guilty of this too). In most cases of “take others opinions” are used, aren’t you the ones trying to prove that there’s different views out there? Which means your word is not the final word. Even if you have several people supporting you, that doesn’t mean that you’re right either. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion, we all know that. Nazis have opinions, the KKK has opinions, serial killers and even rapists have an opinion. But you wouldn’t take it if they just told you to would you? 

I'd promote that if you disagree, do it in a respectful, constructive and intelligent manner, rather than to burst a blood vessel or come off with a condescending smartass comment. In speaking of taking insults and taking opinions to something that is hated on, in the case of the Halo franchise, not only is it overrated to praise the series, but it’s now far more overrated to bash it. Yes, I said it. Anybody have a problem with that? Well, in the words of the late Bernie Mac:

"I ain't scared of you motherfuckers!"
- Bernie Mac 1957 - 2008

Everybody has something to say about the Halo franchise and yet most say nothing new about it, and people are starting not to have a legitimate reason to hate the series in the first place (I don’t even like the Halo series nor do I think it's overrated, but so what?). Now people just listen to what any ranter talks smack and they just say that they agree, worse is when the person attains a lot of supporters and fans. Ugh. It’s as if majority of these supporters act as if they don’t have a mind of their own. The ranter could say something like: “Eat shit, it taste like chocolate fudge” and people would agree just like that.

Few of these insults, they have the audacity to say to the fans of the hated game that they should learn to take opinions. I don’t care if it’s addressed to the Halo fanboys, yeah they should learn that there are other points of view out there, but half the time it’s not even an opinion. Knowing how the extreme fanatics of this series act already, why are you still pushing these so called *clears throat* “opinions” out there? Some of us need to stop acting like their crap doesn’t stink, because all of this is just instigating drama and flamewars in the first place.

• “Halo sucks ass!”
  • “Halo is the most overrated game franchise” 
  • “They should call it Gaylo”
  • “Fuck Halo” 
  •  “lolhalo”
  • “Halotards need to stop thinking that it’s the best game ever!”

These comments are… it’s…. Uh… *sigh* Fuck it I’m just going to say it: This is accepted trolling! When did we degrade ourselves to become haters and trolls? It’s like we put comments out there and claim them as “opinions” when it’s clearly said just to piss off the fanbrats to start off drama and flamewars.  

No Caption Provided

Also, let’s not all act as if someone insult something we like we wouldn’t care. Maybe for some, but come on, others know that we don’t take insult to things as jokes or as “opinions” so well. This is where the bias and double standard bullshit comes in. Let’s say I would talk about Superman 64 and say that it sucks, almost everyone would agree, no problems and no rebuttals. However, if I would start insulting the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise (I never played any of the games, but I know a lot of people love them), then I would get a lot of flame comments and see comments on how I don’t know anything about games {I’m actually imagining it right now}. But if would say in my defense: “Respect other people’s opinions” it wouldn’t work now would it? If someone were to say to me: “Splinter Cell sucks hobo’s ass” I would ask Why or say “Different strokes, different folks. Oh well, I'll be busy mark and executing.” That’s it.

In conclusion, everybody that I stated in these rant need to get it together. Cut the whining, the moaning, and the complaining, and please stop making threads about who said this and who did that. Also, if you have a different opinion out there, it does not mean you are right either, and you won’t prove anything by just forcing someone’s throat either. If it’s not hard to be labeled as a fucking nerd already, but to deal with this shit? I’m sorry to say this but it comforts me that most of this happens on the internet, because if we would do this face to face, then we would eat the shit out each other like cannibals just to prove our point.  

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Fallout 3 sucked but Fallout 1&2 rocked.

Oh wait, that's not what this thread is about?

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Godites
@MrKlorox said:

" Fallout 3 sucked but Fallout 1&2 rocked.  Oh wait, that's not what this thread is about? "

Next time, read before posting. Ever heard of the saying "Think before you speak"?
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Hella-Cannibalism up in here. 

On topic, good on you for calling out the "moderate fans". If only because their moderation is supremely annoying. I mean, seriously, take a bloody stand and LIKE something for Chrissakes. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Does this thread require mentioning of GT5?

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Godites
@KaosAngel said:
" Does this thread require mentioning of GT5? "
What's that supposed to mean? 
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox
@Godites said:
" @MrKlorox said:

" Fallout 3 sucked but Fallout 1&2 rocked.  Oh wait, that's not what this thread is about? "

Next time, read before posting. Ever heard of the saying "Think before you speak."? "
I'd urge you to do the same. My comment was obviously sarcastic. You have a great sense of irony.

Secondly, NOBODY is going to read your post in its entirety. Period.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By august
@MrKlorox said:
" @Godites said:
" @MrKlorox said:

Next time, read before posting. Ever heard of the saying "Think before you speak."? "
I'd urge you to do the same. My comment was obviously sarcastic. You have a great sense of irony. Secondly, NOBODY is going to read your post in its entirety. Period. "
I did!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten
@Godites said:
" @MrKlorox said:

Ever heard of the saying "Giving certain people too much credit" ? :) 

But this is the first time I've actually been in agreement with a blog on this site without lying to them.  
Very well written compared to all the other bullshit that's on here that usually just goes of to a good start and then ends in the OP calling everyone "faggots" 
Guess that's to be expected from this kind of community so it's a joy to see someone actually writing good stuff on here.  
Bravo
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godites
@MrKlorox said:

" @Godites said:

" @MrKlorox said:

I'd urge you to do the same. My comment was obviously sarcastic. You have a great sense of irony. Secondly, NOBODY is going to read your post in its entirety. Period. "
Well, I'm sorry, but I'm sometimes not very good at understanding sarcastic comments. It's also a rash generalization to assume that NOBODY is going to read my entire blog. There are some people who will, they're called patient people. ;)
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@MrKlorox said:
" @Godites said:
" @MrKlorox said:

I read it. It was a good read and it didn't take very long. 
Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fascism

Cliffs?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

The only way you can not be hated my anyone for liking certain things is to lock yourself up in a basement and stay off the internet.

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Godites
@ch13696 said:
" The only way you can not be hated my anyone for liking certain things is to lock yourself up in a basement and stay off the internet. "
Or going outside and hanging out with your friends. ;)
Grimjim8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Grimjim8000
@ch13696: i hate those guys the most
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Three0neFive

This makes absolutely no sense.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Godites
@Three0neFive said:
"

This makes absolutely no sense. "  
Oh it does. It simply means that regular fans can be just as bias as fanatics. 
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By NathHaw
@Godites said:
"- Bernie Mac 1977 - 2008"
Do you mean 1957?
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Godites
@Bloviator said:
" @Godites said:
"- Bernie Mac 1977 - 2008"
Do you mean 1957? "
Oops! My mistake, I'll edit to fix to that.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ch13696
@Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" The only way you can not be hated my anyone for liking certain things is to lock yourself up in a basement and stay off the internet. "
Or going outside and hanging out with your friends. ;) "
Eventually you'll be hated on those friends for doing certain things they don't like.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By cornbredx
@MrKlorox: 
I did. And I completely agree. However, the problem is he is doing what he is asking the reader not to do which makes it a bit hypocritical. Its unintended, I know, but that's what it is.

The vast majority of people don't respond to most forum stuff, the majority you see or read are the outspoken few.
Anyway, to the OP, I agree we should all just regard each others views as opinions and be more understanding of that, unfortunately that is not the nature of the internet.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Godites
@ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Eventually you'll be hated on those friends for doing certain things they don't like. "
Me and my friends get into a lot of disagreements, but we don't hate each other for it. I mean, one of my friends likes Twilight. Despite my fueling hatred towards the series, I don't hate him for liking something I hate.
Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By awesomeusername
@KingWilly said:
" @MrKlorox said:
" @Godites said:
" @MrKlorox said:

I read it. It was a good read and it didn't take very long.  "
I read it too. It was good to read. I would recommend people to read this, but then people will complain and other people will say "what're trying to say? Fuck you!". Good argument though. You're absolutely right and I wished people would start doing what this said. Not being turds and cursing everyone out. I hate that. It's annoying.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch13696
@Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Eventually you'll be hated on those friends for doing certain things they don't like. "
Me and my friends get into a lot of disagreements, but we don't hate each other for it. I mean, one of my friends likes Twilight. Despite my fueling hatred towards the series, I don't hate him for liking something I hate. "
Yeah, I should rephrase what I said. People on the internet will hate and piss you off because they can. They know that they won't be hunted down and killed.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Godites
@ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Me and my friends get into a lot of disagreements, but we don't hate each other for it. I mean, one of my friends likes Twilight. Despite my fueling hatred towards the series, I don't hate him for liking something I hate. "
Yeah, I should rephrase what I said. People on the internet will hate and piss you off because they can. They know that they won't be hunted down and killed. "
All thanks to anonymity. :P
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By dtat
@Godites said:
" @Three0neFive said:
"

Oh it does. It simply means that regular fans can be just as bias as fanatics.  "
Doesn't the fact that people have opinions make them biased by definition?
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Godites
@Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Three0neFive said:
"

Oh it does. It simply means that regular fans can be just as bias as fanatics.  "
Doesn't the fact that people have opinions make them biased by definition? "
Well, there's subjective preference and an objective view. We're all bias in some ways, but that shouldn't mean we should be EXTREMELY bias. I can appreciate something, even if I don't like it. I can admit that I can enjoy something that is really bad. I enjoy watching Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's awful, but funny to watch. 
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername
@Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Yeah, I should rephrase what I said. People on the internet will hate and piss you off because they can. They know that they won't be hunted down and killed. "
All thanks to anonymity. :P "
Do you hate me for liking Twilight? I know. Everyone will probably give me hell for this, but I like the books. The movies suck complete balls. But I like almost every book I read so that's probably why. Plus, yes, it is true! Most the people on the internet will never piss you off in person because they rather hide behind their computer and laugh at you then say something to your face.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King

Eh, they still sound like fanboys. And shouldn't the Final Fantasy one be reversed? "Don't hate Final Fantasy, but it's OK to hate Persona." :P

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zeforgotten
@awesomeusername said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Do you hate me for liking Twilight? I know. Everyone will probably give me hell for this, but I like the books. The movies suck complete balls. But I like almost every book I read so that's probably why. Plus, yes, it is true! Most the people on the internet will never piss you off in person because they rather hide behind their computer and laugh at you then say something to your face. "
I HATE YOU! ...  
Not really though, the books and the movies just weren't my thing.  

Now a chickflick I do like is Scott Pilgrim vs The World. That one is super funny. 

Now hate on me for actualling seeing it for what it is, a CHICK FLICK! 
Watch it again, and then get the story of it into your head. 

And now also hate me for sitting back and watching Harry Potter, see if I care :D
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dtat
@Godites said:
" @Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Three0neFive said:
"

Well, there's subjective preference and an objective view. We're all bias in some ways, but that shouldn't mean we should be EXTREMELY bias. I can appreciate something, even if I don't like it. I can admit that I can enjoy something that is really bad. I enjoy watching Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's awful, but funny to watch.  "
In most cases I would agree with you, but people do have the right to have absolutely no interest in something. For instance, I do not like racing games. At all. I don't have problems with other people liking them, but I absolutely do not see the appeal in the slightest. I guess you would say I'm "extremely" biased against racing games. I think the larger issue is the way in which people express their opinions to others, never stopping and saying "Alright. We're not going to agree. That's fine."
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Godites
@Video_Game_King said:
" Eh, they still sound like fanboys. And shouldn't the Final Fantasy one be reversed? "Don't hate Final Fantasy, but it's OK to hate Persona." :P "
Well fanboys are of course fanatical. Regular fans are a lot more calm, but they can be very elitists. Also, why can't it be okay to like Final Fantasy and Persona? :)
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Godites: 

Because from what I've played of Persona (the first one), it isn't that good. I'd say that I'm willing to be wrong, but I haven't many other good experiences with the series, and the things I hate seem to be the things people love about the series. Also, racism in the first game.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Godites
@Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Three0neFive said:
"

Well, there's subjective preference and an objective view. We're all bias in some ways, but that shouldn't mean we should be EXTREMELY bias. I can appreciate something, even if I don't like it. I can admit that I can enjoy something that is really bad. I enjoy watching Plan 9 From Outer Space. It's awful, but funny to watch.  "
In most cases I would agree with you, but people do have the right to have absolutely no interest in something. For instance, I do not like racing games. At all. I don't have problems with other people liking them, but I absolutely do not see the appeal in the slightest. I guess you would say I'm "extremely" biased against racing games. I think the larger issue is the way in which people express their opinions to others, never stopping and saying "Alright. We're not going to agree. That's fine." "
I never said that you shouldn't have no interest for anything, that's not really being bias. It would be bias if you told others to have the same views that you do, and not take anyone's else consideration. We don't always have to get into an argument, but we shouldn't just spew insults that instigate them in the first place. People must have sound and reasonable reasons for an opinion.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Diamond

I'm fine with people hating anything that's popular as long as it's only because there are higher quality things that are too often ignored.

Just because something is popular doesn't make it bad, and the people that try to argue that standpoint are the problem.

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Godites
@Diamond said:
" I'm fine with people hating anything that's popular as long as it's only because there are higher quality things that are too often ignored. "
I'm fine with people hating on popular things if they have valid reasons to back them up. But that's not the case with some popular things. Mainly Halo, Nickleback and Twilight. This is coming from a guy who hate Twilight and doesn't care for Nickleback or Halo.

@Video_Game_King said:
" @Godites:   Because from what I've played of Persona (the first one), it isn't that good. I'd say that I'm willing to be wrong, but I haven't many other good experiences with the series, and the things I hate seem to be the things people love about the series. Also, racism in the first game. "
I've never played the first Persona, I only played the third and fourth. But there's really racism in the first game? Jesus Christ!
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By awesomeusername
@ZeForgotten said:
" @awesomeusername said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Godites said:
" @ch13696 said:
Do you hate me for liking Twilight? I know. Everyone will probably give me hell for this, but I like the books. The movies suck complete balls. But I like almost every book I read so that's probably why. Plus, yes, it is true! Most the people on the internet will never piss you off in person because they rather hide behind their computer and laugh at you then say something to your face. "
I HATE YOU! ...  Not really though, the books and the movies just weren't my thing.   Now a chickflick I do like is Scott Pilgrim vs The World. That one is super funny.   Now hate on me for actualling seeing it for what it is, a CHICK FLICK! Watch it again, and then get the story of it into your head.  And now also hate me for sitting back and watching Harry Potter, see if I care :D "
Books are always better! I read the first five Scott pilgrim books, I need to read the last one and I want to see the movie. But I'd rather read the books before I see the movie. Plus, Scott Pilgrim is not a chick flick! I watch Harry Potter too!
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Sin4profit

This is my fence..here i sit...the mightiest of all men.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Godites: 

Also, it has this.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shiftymagician
@Diamond said:

" I'm fine with people hating anything that's popular as long as it's only because there are higher quality things that are too often ignored.  Just because something is popular doesn't make it bad, and the people that try to argue that standpoint are the problem. "

This completely. There is no definitive correlation between a game that can be seen as innovative towards the progress of evolving games, and a game that is popular and highly lucrative to a publisher when it comes to how well it does in the mass market.  Just because something sells well, it does not mean there was something innovative that went along with it.  Unfortunately, an amazing game that was amazingly well made and thought out may not get the attention it deserves, because it wasn't popular enough.

I personally loathe having to even use the term popularity in this context, as it only just reminds me how easy people are swayed into spending their money into franchises that don't do anything to push gaming forward.  This bit is only my opinion on the matter though.

To the Initial Poster: 
 This was a nice read, however there are some things people complain about from certain games or franchises, that are legitimate.  If they are older games, then of course there isn't much new to talk about, and the repeated points may not necessarily be bad points at all.  Ironically, you cannot easily generalise the ways in which other people generalise so easily.   However at the end of the day, your message of just embracing proper opinions, and to call out to reduce the trashy statements that have plagued forums for many years is clear, and I agree with it completely.

Don't be surprised to see more people talk sarcastic, trying to sound like this was an obvious thing that should be commonsense to us all.  Commonsense is not common (Oh the Irony!), and if it was, we wouldn't have this issue in the first place.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dtat
@Godites said:
" @Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Dtat said:
" @Godites said:
" @Three0neFive said:
"

In most cases I would agree with you, but people do have the right to have absolutely no interest in something. For instance, I do not like racing games. At all. I don't have problems with other people liking them, but I absolutely do not see the appeal in the slightest. I guess you would say I'm "extremely" biased against racing games. I think the larger issue is the way in which people express their opinions to others, never stopping and saying "Alright. We're not going to agree. That's fine." "
I never said that you shouldn't have no interest for anything, that's not really being bias. It would be bias if you told others to have the same views that you do, and not take anyone's else consideration. We don't always have to get into an argument, but we shouldn't just spew insults that instigate them in the first place. People must have sound and reasonable reasons for an opinion. "
I think I understand what you're trying to say, I would just disagree with your definition of the word "biased." The word literally means "having a particular tendency or inclination" It means having an opinion. It would be "belligerent" or "contentious" to tell others to have the same opinion as you. And about that you're absolutely right.  People shouldn't force their opinions on others and definitely shouldn't spew insults. We should respect other peoples' right to have different opinions even if we don't respect the opinions themselves. But you really don't need to have solid reasoning behind an opinion as long as you don't force it on others. For example, I don't have any hard evidence to back up my distaste for tomatoes. I just don't like them. So yeah. I mostly agree with you, just not your terminology.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Godites
@ShiftyMagician said:
" @Diamond said:

" I'm fine with people hating anything that's popular as long as it's only because there are higher quality things that are too often ignored.  Just because something is popular doesn't make it bad, and the people that try to argue that standpoint are the problem. "

To the Initial Poster:   This was a nice read, however there are some things people complain about from certain games or franchises, that are legitimate.  If they are older games, then of course there isn't much new to talk about, and the repeated points may not necessarily be bad points at all.  Ironically, you cannot easily generalise the ways in which other people generalise so easily.   However at the end of the day, your message of just embracing proper opinions, and to call out to reduce the trashy statements that have plagued forums for many years is clear, and I agree with it completely. Don't be surprised to see more people talk sarcastic, trying to sound like this was an obvious thing that should be commonsense to us all.  Commonsense is not common (Oh the Irony!), and if it was, we wouldn't have this issue in the first place. "
I never said that ALL people who hated on certain games have no legitimate reasons, but few do. It's rare to see constructive criticism and respectful arguments from the internet community.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shiftymagician
@Godites said:
" @ShiftyMagician said:
" @Diamond said:

To the Initial Poster:   This was a nice read, however there are some things people complain about from certain games or franchises, that are legitimate.  If they are older games, then of course there isn't much new to talk about, and the repeated points may not necessarily be bad points at all.  Ironically, you cannot easily generalise the ways in which other people generalise so easily.   However at the end of the day, your message of just embracing proper opinions, and to call out to reduce the trashy statements that have plagued forums for many years is clear, and I agree with it completely. Don't be surprised to see more people talk sarcastic, trying to sound like this was an obvious thing that should be commonsense to us all.  Commonsense is not common (Oh the Irony!), and if it was, we wouldn't have this issue in the first place. "
I never said that ALL people who hated on certain games have no legitimate reasons, but few do. It's rare to see constructive criticism and respectful arguments from the internet community. "
Hehe yea I am too used to seeing and hearing people use a sentence like that, where the sentence was being directed to all people, instead of using it in the correct way that you have used it.  My bad there dude, but hope you still get where I was coming from.
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Godites
@ShiftyMagician said:
" @Godites said:
" @ShiftyMagician said:
" @Diamond said:

I never said that ALL people who hated on certain games have no legitimate reasons, but few do. It's rare to see constructive criticism and respectful arguments from the internet community. "
Hehe yea I am too used to seeing and hearing people use a sentence like that, where the sentence was being directed to all people, instead of using it in the correct way that you have used it.  My bad there dude, but hope you still get where I was coming from. "
I get you. It's just that, some things are bashed that it becomes redundant to a certain point. I don't like the Halo series, I have nothing against, it's just not my cup of tea. It irks me how much hatred it receives, and usually for no good reason what so ever. I at least try to understand why it appeals to so many people. I even asked fans why the like the series. There were only a few sane and reasonable Halo haters I've met. I'm more of a COD guy, but it's when the rabid fanbase of both series go at each other.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I likes what I likes and I don't fault anyone else for liking what I don't.  I draw the line at sexual fan art and fan fiction.  I don't need to see weird fetish pictures of a naked morbidly obese Chun-Li defecating into a cenatuar version of Waluigi's mouth.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By monkeyking1969

The fanboys I dislike are the ones who chime-in to a discussion by sounding moderate when the topic is not about anything they care about .   They are moderate when they don't care and pretend to be overall moderate, but really once a discussion swings into a topic they care about the pretense of being moderate drops like a hidden mask. 

Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Godites
@bartok said:
" I likes what I likes and I don't fault anyone else for liking what I don't.  I draw the line at sexual fan art and fan fiction.  I don't need to see weird fetish pictures of a naked morbidly obese Chun-Li defecating into a cenatuar version of Waluigi's mouth. "
Now that's just f*$#ed up!
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The kind of posting you mentioned isn't acceptable on Giantbomb, but you can't prevent people making assumptions about what kind of gamers like certain games. The only real solution is to make genuine arguments for or against something rather than devolving into pointless ad hominem attacks.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By tourgen
Godites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers