WM has been sold.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@Philzpilz: What I meant with that line was that, if something bad is going to happen, it ain't gonna happen two weeks from now. I don't see any way that this doesn't have some sort of cutting negative side effects, but we're not going to see those sort of things tomorrow. I just know that, two weeks from now, when literally everything is still the same, people are going to come out of the woodwork to claim that the naysayers were completely unfair and "See? Everything's fine!" in April. We're not going to see what the pessimists are worried about until many months pass by, and then we'll know the difference.

When WM made bad management decisions (and honestly, the entire history of WM is riddled with stupid choices) we always had the ability to show our numbers and convince them to change. There was not some labyrinthine chain of corporate command when decisions came down from on high that affected us. We could be heard. You're right that GB has flirted with disaster before, but we got them out of it because the people in charge were not out of reach. When something goes bad going forward, I fear for how we solve the problem.

I'm also really scared about something I've been worried about for the last year already; I don't want Giant Bomb to lose it's identity. I fear that's a lost cause by now, however.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#602  Edited By Deusx

Why didn't they just say goodbye? Or something like that? I mean it's not like things are going to be the same. The sites are splitting and that's a big thing.

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#603  Edited By JSwan13

fuck that shit

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#604  Edited By Brackynews

@mylifeforAiur said:

You guys seem to be forgetting the most important addition to the Giantbomb arsenal: Occasional visits from Kevin VanOrd. And maybe, just maybe, Giantbomb will improve Gamespot. Remain sanguine, duders.

Pshh. VanOrd is teensy potatocakes. Not thinking big enough dude...

Homer. Fucking. Rabara.

No Caption Provided
pwnmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605  Edited By pwnmachine

I have a feeling Sara had a lot more to do with this than we may think...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#608  Edited By 137

@LordXavierBritish said:

Why would somebody buy Anime Vice.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OUCH MAN!!!

I actually like Anime Vice.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#609  Edited By laserbolts

God I hope the site continues to be as awesome has it's been.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#610  Edited By TheHT

@digy said:

I can only think of anthony anderson from harold and kumar go to white castle.

COME ON POOKY WE GONNA BURN THIS MUTHAFUCK DOWN!!

KROMEangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#611  Edited By KROMEangel

If you don't have faith in the crew now, then you never did, and your supposedly broken "loyalty" is a sham. If I realized anything about these guys, it's their honesty, transparency, and integrity.

I say congrats to the team, and hope you stay as awesome as always.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#612  Edited By Ragdrazi
@KROMEangel: There is nothing the team can do against CBS's shareholders demanding the site be monetized. There is no way they can maintain complete creative control over the wishes of CBS's board of directors. They are not omnipotent beings. I have faith in the crew. But not the sort of faith you have.
Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#613  Edited By Mcfart

@Ragdrazi said:

@KROMEangel: There is nothing the team can do against CBS's shareholders demanding the site be monetized. There is no way they can maintain complete creative control over the wishes of CBS's board of directors. They are not omnipotent beings. I have faith in the crew. But not the sort of faith you have.

I assume that the site will be mostly the same. Changes will happen though. Maybe less cursing, less going off topic on the bombcast, and shorter podcasts (capped at 2 hours instead of 3). Video content will probably stay the same though.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#614  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Mcfart said:

@Ragdrazi said:

I assume that the site will be mostly the same. Changes will happen though. Maybe less cursing, less going off topic on the bombcast, and shorter podcasts (capped at 2 hours instead of 3). Video content will probably stay the same though.

The site will need to become not only profitiable but increasingly more profitable as it goes. There is no way to do that without making this site much more closely resemble Gamespot in terms of premium accounts and ad content.
Forsling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615  Edited By Forsling

I hope you guys made a lot of money because this just goddamn breaks my heart.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616  Edited By Mercy_

@pwnmachine said:

Why?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#617  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Well, i guess it's time to find a new gaming website...destructoid maybe? It's been real guys.

@courtney12490 said:

@pwnmachine said:

Why?

Because she's a woman, and we all know they are snakes, SNAKES IN THE GRASS!

oldjack327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#618  Edited By oldjack327

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'm crazy happy for the guys at Tested since they get to work with the Mythbusters and I'm pleased that Jeff and the Giant Bomb team have patched things up with Gamespot, but on the other hand the loss of this interconnected family of media information (games, comics, movies, tech) that allowed for crazy cross disciplinary interactions has now been disassembled. And I know all the talk about making sure that they keep in touch, but it still means that they aren't going to be all interacting together as a unit, and that is still somewhat depressing. Plus, what happens to Screened is still up in the air right now.

I don't know, man. I'm still probably net positive about the whole thing, but there are nagging elements of loss that keep coming back into the recesses of my mind, like a slow motion dancing Will Smith-in a penguin suit... of regret... I feel like this metaphor has imploded.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#619  Edited By tebbit

@LordXavierBritish said:

The truest question of all.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#620  Edited By Ragdrazi
@Tebbit said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Anime Vice is so toast I can smell it from here.
Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#621  Edited By maskedarcstrike

This whole situation is whatever, but it sucks there won't be a big live live show anymore..........

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#622  Edited By kmg90

@Ragdrazi said:

@Tebbit said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yeah, I don't see it lasting more 1 year maybe...

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623  Edited By scarace360

@kmg90 said:

@Ragdrazi said:

@Tebbit said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yeah, I don't see it lasting more 1 year maybe...

Maybe they bought it cause it has a big anime database. Someone send an email and ask.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

@Mcfart: This is absolutely the sort of stuff that they explained would NOT change. Check Patrick's formspring for answers to a lot of the misconceptions in this thread.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#625  Edited By StrikeALight

The memes will have to be re-built.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#626  Edited By N7
@StrikeALight: Who will become our next trophyhunter?

No Caption Provided
TenFootMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#627  Edited By TenFootMonster

I don't blame the owners for selling off the WM sites-building them up and selling them was the idea as far as I can tell. I hope the people involved made a lot of money. Good for them.

However, like many others have stated, I subscribed to support independent media, and by definition GB is no longer that. As long as the GB content stays awesome I'll keep consuming it. But subscribe and give money to CBS Interactive? No thanks.

I have a great deal of trouble believing that this won't change the content. Sorry, but this is business-money talks and bullshit walks. Some people are saying that CBS would not have bought the site if they planned to make changes. That to me seems to make the completely unwarranted assumption that businesses always make the right decisions. As others have said, sometime in the near future some CBS bean counter is going to ask whey they are spending so much money to maintain two video game websites, do a cost-benefit analysis, and that will be that.

I also don't put any faith in the fact that the GB people seem to optimistic about it. I mean seriously. Would you expect them to say otherwise? What are they going to say "Well, it wasn't working out and we had a chance to make a ton of money and we took it"? Again, I don't blame them, I would take a huge chunk of money in this case too. To think that nothing will change from this seems wildly optimistic, to say the least. I hope I am wrong, but I have difficulty not seeing this as the end of GB as we have known it.

miketorreza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#628  Edited By miketorreza

@TenFootMonster: Giant Bomb got the good end of this deal, Comic Vine as well I guess. They have been so transparent about what they intend to do with these sites in the short term, and of course nobody except executives at CBSi know what their long term plans for the situation of having two competing video games sites are, and we can all see that it is a very precarious situation, but look at the 3 other sites that were bought. I haven't seen a peep from BermanBraun about what they're going to do with AnimeVice or Screened, which is code for they are getting shut down, and if you just load up Tested you can see how fucked up of a deal Will and Norm got. Just ride out this wave and see where its going, I think GB will be just fine.

TenFootMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629  Edited By TenFootMonster

@Miketorreza: I hope you're right. Like I said, I'll certainly give them a chance. As long as they continue to produce the content that I love I'll continue to visit the site. Not giving up on them by any means.

Digifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630  Edited By Digifiend

@Winternet said:

Hey, how are the duders at ComicVine handling this? I don't even know what this means to them.

<>

I'm mostly a Vine user, and I'm worried. What does Gamespot want with a comic book site? And of course, the wiki uses tech that got sold to a different firm. Converting it to MediaWiki will undoubtedly break a lot of stuff. I'd be gutted to lose the wiki database, especially all the uploaded comic book covers.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#631  Edited By JasonR86

@Digifiend said:

@Winternet said:

Hey, how are the duders at ComicVine handling this? I don't even know what this means to them.

<>

I'm mostly a Vine user, and I'm worried. What does Gamespot want with a comic book site? And of course, the wiki uses tech that got sold to a different firm. Converting it to MediaWiki will undoubtedly break a lot of stuff. I'd be gutted to lose the wiki database, especially all the uploaded comic book covers.

Gamespot doesn't own Comicvine.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Digifiend said:

@Winternet said:

<>

Gamespot is owned by the folks who own Comic Vine, they do not own Comic Vine themselves. And it wouldn't be that odd, IGN covers comics and books and media in general. The CBSi family of sites seems pretty broad.

Digifiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633  Edited By Digifiend

Then why does Comic Vine (and Giant Bomb) have a footer with the Gamespot logo on it? Wouldn't it be CBS's logo if it were classed as the wider CBSi?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#634  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Digifiend: Because they are similar sites, so the two are linked together. I expect eventually comic vine and giantbomb may be linked on gamespot eventually too. It's not a brand of ownership, it's just a link like Gamespot has links to the other sites. I believe they are also the only ones all in the same building so that's why they are so linked.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635  Edited By Dany

@VinceNotVance: Seperated. Screened/Anime Vice/Tested are over at BermanBraun. Tested is now the site of Jamie and Adam from the mythbusters but most articles and stuff are Will/Norm. Rorie left screend. ComicVine and Giantbomb are over at CBS interactive. Back at the same office where they were fired/quit from gamespot.

Yeahhh...imagine finding all this shit out day of. It was fucking bedlam!

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#636  Edited By Hot_Karl

@Dany: I'm just messing with ya, brother. I was here when the news hit. Strange things have happened. Also stepped away from Screened since I went there for Alex & Rorie, but open to new writers & personalities...eventually.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637  Edited By Dany

@VinceNotVance: I visit the site now, knowing Alex and Rorie are no longer work there.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#638  Edited By wunder_

@VinceNotVance: HEY ITS YOU