#1 Posted by ADAMWD (572 posts) -

What are some of the worst games, either disappointing or just plain bad, that you've played from this generation of consoles?

Some of the ones I specifically remember

Legendary (Combat was pretty dang terrible)

Velvet Assassin (Couldn't even finish this game it was such a poor experience)

Two Worlds II (I thought the first was alright, but the second was terrible!)

RACE Pro (Worst racing game I've played in the last 10 years easily)

TimeShift (I bet going back to this now would look so shitty haha)

Clive Barker's Jericho (Had a really cool look/design but man was it boring to play)

#2 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

Dragon Age II and Fable III

#3 Edited by ADAMWD (572 posts) -

@soapy86: Forgot about those, but totally agree. Those games were such a drag to finish.

#4 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

I uh...I preordered Homefront. It's hard to admit that.

#5 Posted by SomberOwl (638 posts) -

The first Two Worlds, I knew within 10 minutes that it was trash.

#6 Posted by ryvythed (27 posts) -

Eat Lead: The Legend of Matt Hazard

Frogger on PSN

#7 Posted by GValo (196 posts) -

Vampire Rain - A stealth game with vampires. It could have been great with an idea like that but the bad graphics/sound and some bad gameplay ruined it for me.

#8 Posted by Dacnomaniac (440 posts) -

Uh, I usually do a lot of research before I play games, so I don't usually have bad experiences. But, Brink wasn't what I expected from it, and I fucking hated it.

#9 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Dead Island Riptide.

Just a piece of shit that runs at 14fps, and has awful combat. It's actually a step back from the first one. They managed to take all the shit elements from the first game and make a sequel out of them.

#10 Edited by leftie68 (215 posts) -

Assassin's Creed (Original).

#11 Posted by mosespippy (4046 posts) -

Brutal Legend and Nier. And I forgot Frogger on PSN even existed until it got mentioned in this thread. You can get all the trophies in that in under 20 minutes, which is about as long as I played that game.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36071 posts) -

Alone in the Dark, anyone?

#13 Posted by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Alone in the Dark. Wooooooooooof. Shame, because there were parts about it that I loved, but it all went to waste on a broken, awful game.

#14 Posted by Mastertarvin (53 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: I to preordered Homefront, I thought the multiplayer was awesome though. Probably my favorite of this generation.

As for worst it had to be Two Worlds, I played 2 hours of that piece of garbage before I turned it off, didn't help that I played it right after I finished Oblivion.

#15 Edited by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 3

Just fucking Boring as Fuck, 1st game i skipped all the cutscene in

Fuck any AC game after 3

AC 2 , and Brotherhood were fucking AWESOME.

#16 Edited by DeckardsRevolver (28 posts) -

haze

#17 Edited by afabs515 (1014 posts) -

AC3

Dead Island (just because of the shock of the disappointment)

10 minutes of RE6

EDIT: Shit! I almost forgot F3AR

#18 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

The only one I think it was crap is LA Noir.... I fucking hated that whole experience

#19 Posted by Bamsen (336 posts) -

Homefront. Why the hell did I buy that piece of crap, maybe I was drunk or something, who knows

#20 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3053 posts) -

Its gotta be Bionic Commando. WTF his wife is his arm!? I'm still fuckin amazed by that revelation, more so then the fact Nathan Spencer grew dreadlocks to rebel against the government.

#21 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

@gvalo said:

Vampire Rain - A stealth game with vampires. It could have been great with an idea like that but the bad graphics/sound and some bad gameplay ruined it for me.

I've played that game on my ps3 recently. Even though I don't hate it I thought it was ok, but I do like the concept of the game. I hope one day there might be a game that has the same premise.

#22 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

I usually find at least something to enjoy with most games, but they're are a few I can think of where I didn't get any enjoyment.

• Ratchet: Full Frontal Assault (This one was really deflating)
  • Aliens: Colonial Marines
  • The First Templar
  • Duke Nukem Forever
  • Ninja Gaiden 3 (Haven't tried Razor's Edge though)
#23 Posted by isomeri (1225 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever is the only game this generation that I really regret buying.

#24 Posted by GValo (196 posts) -

@falserelic: I've heard the PS3 version was actually a bit better. I guess when I heard it was like Sam Fisher vs Vampires I was expecting something less linear. I remember renting it and being bummed about it but still playing through it. When I returned it I told my friend something like "well I won't have to see that game again" only to get a phone call saying I won IGN's halloween contest for a copy of the game and the 360 HD-DVD add on.

#25 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Far Cry 2 was so disappointing and terrible.Crackdown 2 was freaking awful. I hated Prototype. Skate 2 was a pitiful sequel. I really thought Gears 3 was surprisingly bad. Tony Hawk's Proving Ground was a complete mess. Far Cry Instincts: Predator has to be one of the worst games I've ever played in my life. Guitar Hero: Van Halen was insultingly bad. I also really didn't like the new Turok. NBA Jam sucked (although On Fire Edition was good).

And let's not forget about little ol' Yaris.

#26 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1697 posts) -

I try to steer clear of games that look completely shitty. Sometimes it's unavoidable though. So, Solider of Fortune: Payback, Resident Evil 6, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Homefront, Dante's Inferno, Fracture, and Perfect Dark fucking Zero. There are some others that weren't great but I didn't mind. I knew to stay away from shit like Rogue Warrior and Velvet Assassin. The demos usually tell me enough.

#27 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

Too Human

#28 Posted by falserelic (5334 posts) -

@gvalo said:

@falserelic: I've heard the PS3 version was actually a bit better. I guess when I heard it was like Sam Fisher vs Vampires I was expecting something less linear. I remember renting it and being bummed about it but still playing through it. When I returned it I told my friend something like "well I won't have to see that game again" only to get a phone call saying I won IGN's halloween contest for a copy of the game and the 360 HD-DVD add on.

Yeah, it definitely took alot of concepts from splinter cell. Which could have been cool if it was made properly.

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10538 posts) -

Lair!

Dark Sector!

#30 Edited by falserelic (5334 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Duke Nukem Forever is the only game this generation that I really regret buying.

DNF made me very sad. I'm a huge fan of duke3d and was expecting a decent sequel, but in the end I was left with regret aswell....

#31 Edited by Grillbar (1798 posts) -
#32 Posted by thejke (91 posts) -

Brink. I used my one time only steam refund on it.

#33 Edited by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Anything by Compile Hearts. It took three games for me to learn my lesson, BUT NEVER AGAIN!

#34 Edited by Cameron (595 posts) -

Early in the generation I worked in a video rental store, so I had access to a lot of free games. Dark Sector and Rogue Warrior standout in my head as mechanically bad games, though at least Rogue Warrior was funny. After looking though my achievement list I'd add Superman Returns, History Channel Civil War, Two World ( for the broken frame rate mostly), and Way of the Samurai 3.

#35 Posted by Village_Guy (2504 posts) -

Rogue Warrior

Two Worlds

Hour of Victory

#36 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Anything by Compile Hearts. It took three games for me to learn my lesson, BUT NEVER AGAIN!

Which three?

#37 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

@onekillwonder_: I couldn't think of anything, because I do a lot of research before I buy games, but then you reminded me of Perfect Dark Zero. Ugh...

#38 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5265 posts) -

I'm usually in the know about video games and I go out of my to not play bad games. I guess Homefront would be my answer. I was fully aware of that game's quality when I rented it and played it to completion.

#39 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2213 posts) -

Timeshift was a pretty bad game which is a shame because I happened to like the demo when it first came out. Alone in the Dark was another stinker especially the car sequences and Clive Barker's Jericho which had a cool premise held back by mundane game play.

#40 Posted by spraynardtatum (2622 posts) -

Lollipop Chainsaw really disappointed me. I love Suda but that game didn't feel finished.

#41 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

I've played every game mentioned here and Dishonored or gta 4 are the games I liked the least.

#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (15851 posts) -

Some of these games people are listing are blowing my mind.

#43 Edited by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@oldenglishc said:

Which three?

Cross Edge, Agarest War and the first Neptunia game. Their dumb writing hits me in kind of a sweet spot, but they go out of their way to make sure that the combat sucks all the fun out the games.

#44 Posted by KickahaOta (142 posts) -

Sonic 2006. "It's no use!"

#45 Posted by OLph (18 posts) -

I've played a lot of games that disappointed me, but as for plain bad games I think the Brave - A Warriors Tale is the worst I've played for some time. (Honorable mention to Raven Squad - Operation Hidden Dagger that I found for something that would translate to around 50 cents in some bargain bin, and it still wasn't really good value for money (Among a lot of other faults it has some of the worst voice acting I've heard))

#46 Posted by schreiberty (204 posts) -

Brink; the concept of parkour and shooting is awesome and i thought this game would be great, preordered it and everything. Hopefully titanfall will scratch that itch for jumping off of stuff and shooting dudes.

#47 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@rebgav said:

@oldenglishc said:

Which three?

Cross Edge, Agarest War and the first Neptunia game. Their dumb writing hits me in kind of a sweet spot, but they go out of their way to make sure that the combat sucks all the fun out the games.

I haven't played Cross Edge or Agarest but I can confirm that the first Neptunia is the worst Neptunia. They went for a more traditional Jrpg battle system for the next two games. I would say that they are improving as a dev though I am waiting on a copy of Mugen Souls before I fully commit to that statement.

#48 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

Same. But people saying good games are terrible for shock value is nothing new.

#49 Posted by tyler1285 (172 posts) -

#50 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (727 posts) -

I'd go with Donkey Kong Country Returns. I think it was all right at least, but in addition to having the roll mapped to shaking the controller being a bad idea, the game just didn't have the same feel as the old Donkey Kong Country games. I'll probably replay it at some point in the near future just to see if I can figure out any specific reasons.

Oh, and Sonic Unleashed ( I still can't believe I thought I'd give it a chance) and Red Steel, which I thought was better than a lot of people did, but still not enough for me to finish it or ever have plans of replaying it.