Worth upgrading GPU?

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By septim

Hey guys I've been eying a new graphics card for awhile. The smart money seems to be on the ATI 5850 card. Currently I have an 8800GT that's served me incredibly well.

My system is as follows:

CPU: Q6600 at 2.8ghz
RAM: 3 gigs of DDR2
GPU: 8800GT 512
1.5 TB of HDD space

I have Windows 7 which I will be installing shortly. My question is will the 5850 be worth the $270 upgrade over the 8800GT?

Also I was contemplating upping my ram to 6GB. Would that be worth it either?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

What kind of games are you playing?  Are you unsatisfied with your current framerates?

Personally I think paying over $250 for a videocard alone these days isn't really worth it, but I have a better GPU than a 8800GT so I'm one to talk...

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By septim

I play a bit of everything. Crysis, STALKER, Witcher, Dragon Age. I play everything with high settings and get solid framerates. Crysis runs at about 27 - 32 fps and is the only game I wish ran smoother.

Thats another thing. I seem to hear a lot about DX11 but nothing that revolutionary came of DX10, also I haven't really seen any compelling games taking advantage of DX11.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Diamond
@septim: Well I would just recommend trying weighing the increase in performance you want versus how much you're paying and where else the money could go - games, platforms, non-game related stuff.

It sounds like the new ATI cards are great, but some months from now Nvidia's stuff will be out and maybe that will be better, and prices drop all the time.

I'd probably wait for some more demanding games to make the purchase if I were you, but you have to decide for yourself.

edit - Nothing has taken advantage of DX11 well yet, Aliens vs Predator 3 looks like the only possible truly DX11 exploiting game, and that's far from certain at this point (as far as game quality & how well it will use DX11).

As far as RAM, it's good to have at least 4GB these days, so if it's cheap for you I'd recommend 6GB, sure.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jmrwacko

I'm buying an ATI Radeon 5770 1 gb for my new rig. The card is a little dated, but it's only $170 and runs much smoother than the GeForce 8800. From what I've heard, there isn't much difference between the $170 Radeon 5770 and the $270 GeForce 275 GTX, and the Radeon 5770 runs a lot cooler and quieter than the latter card, plus it's directx 11 compatible. 

As for Radeon 5770 versus 5850, I can't really say. The 5770 probably has a better price-to-performance ratio, though.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jmrwacko
@septim said:
"I play a bit of everything. Crysis, STALKER, Witcher, Dragon Age. I play everything with high settings and get solid framerates. Crysis runs at about 27 - 32 fps and is the only game I wish ran smoother.  Thats another thing. I seem to hear a lot about DX11 but nothing that revolutionary came of DX10, also I haven't really seen any compelling games taking advantage of DX11. "

Apparently DX10 is real bloatware, like Windows Vista, whereas DX11 is the "what directx10 should have been" sort of deal, like Windows 7. I'm sure games will start utilizing DX11 soon, it's got a much longer feature list than the aging DX9.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
@jmrwacko said:
Apparently DX10 is real bloatware, like Windows Vista, whereas DX11 is the "what directx10 should have been" sort of deal, like Windows 7. I'm sure games will start utilizing DX11 soon, it's got a much longer feature list than the aging DX9. "
Ehh, it's nothing like that.  DX10 added some good features, DX11 adds even more.  I don't think they've refined or made DirectX much more efficient, but if they did everyone would benefit, not just DX11 cards.

It seems as though ATI has funded some DX11 development, but the results have been lazily implemented and very unimpressive so far.  The biggest new feature in DX11 is tessellation (technically DX10.1 has it and some DX10 cards have it too, but implemented differently), and it's going to take some serious development focus to implement it well.

I doubt we'll see many games that use tessellation extensively until the next generation of consoles (which will hopefully support the feature fully, BTW 360 supports tessellation in the DX10.1 manner but is used very rarely).
Avatar image for fish_face_mcgee
Fish_Face_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fish_Face_McGee

Is your Processor 64-Bit (I can't imagine any reason why it isn't) and are you going to be installing Windows 7 64-bit?  If not, then there's no reason to have more than 3GB because Windows won't recognize anything more than 3. Having more RAM likely won't bring too huge of a noticeable in gaming, though general computer usage will likely show some large improvements (specifically in the time from power-on to usable PC). 

In terms of Graphics Card, I'd say if the ATI card has at least 1 GB of RAM (preferably more), then I'd say the jump is likely worth it.  ATI has done a great job of bang for the buck when it comes to their cards.  I use the nVidia 280 GTX but the 5000 series cards from ATI are crazy fast.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Marz

Getting a radeon 5750 might be worthwhile if your looking to upgrade without spending a buttload of money,  it's the low budget version of the new generation of cards but performance wise you'll get a bit more performance than the 8800gt while having dx11 support.  i think it's aroudn 130$

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By septim
@Marz said:

" Getting a radeon 5750 might be worthwhile if your looking to upgrade without spending a buttload of money,  it's the low budget version of the new generation of cards but performance wise you'll get a bit more performance than the 8800gt while having dx11 support.  i think it's aroudn 130$ "

The money isn't really the main issue. If I'm going through the trouble of buying and installing a new card I want a tangible leap in performance and not just an incremental increase.

I think I may have talked myself out of getting a new card. The 2010 PC slate is pretty depressing and it looks like no matter what any single GPU is not gonna push 40 FPS in Crysis anyways.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz
@septim: 

I see, well i found an article with some pretty good fps charts with 8800gt in it for comparison to the new generation cards, it includes the 5850 somewhere in them.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=5
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By septim
@Marz said:
" @septim:   I see, well i found an article with some pretty good fps charts with 8800gt in it for comparison to the new generation cards, it includes the 5850 somewhere in them.   http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3658&p=5 "
Good link thanks.
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Yit

I would totally upgrade. I got a GeForce GTS 250 a couple weeks ago, up from an 8600 GTS, and it is delightful. I would say yes.

WillyGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WillyGreen
korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By korwin
@jmrwacko: How exactly is a 5770 dated?  It's only been around for a month...
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By fuzzyponken

I don't think it's necessary. The 8800 is an awesome card and should still be able to crank out solid framerates in newer games and I'd squeeze the last out of it if I were you. You should totally upgrade your RAM, though, that's never a bad idea. 

jonac13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jonac13

I actually just made the jump from the 8800GT to the 5850 and I would say that the differences are tangible.  I went from being able to run Borderlands at 1650 x 1050 with mostly high settings and 2x AA to literally everything cranked up with no hiccups after the change.  The main thing I noticed from one card to the next is that I can pretty reliably flip stuff like dynamic shadows, bloom lighting, and the like on with no worry of drop in framerate whereas with the 8800GT I might have to mess around and ultimately leave a couple of those things off.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By septim
@jonac13 said:
" I actually just made the jump from the 8800GT to the 5850 and I would say that the differences are tangible.  I went from being able to run Borderlands at 1650 x 1050 with mostly high settings and 2x AA to literally everything cranked up with no hiccups after the change.  The main thing I noticed from one card to the next is that I can pretty reliably flip stuff like dynamic shadows, bloom lighting, and the like on with no worry of drop in framerate whereas with the 8800GT I might have to mess around and ultimately leave a couple of those things off. "
Thanks for the first hand account. That's more or less what I figured the new card would do. I might hold off and wait til the new nVidia cards roll around so if anything the 5850 will come down.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Wait and see what nVIdia brings out shortly. I know everybody is saying there will be a premium price to pay with the 300 series, but why not wait and see just how much?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Every six months they bring out new cards. I suggest you keep your 8800gt for a few more months to see what nvidia has in stock and it might drive the prices down for their existing cards. Definetly upgrade later on, not right now, you will notice a difference with newer cards, just look at benchmark sites to see the difference for a variety of cards. Your videocard will have a lot of slow downs with newer games. Even if you get that DX11 ati card, yes it would be worth it and it will be very noticable.  

Edit: You even could probally wait until all these new cards drive down the price of these existing cards and even a gtx285 for cheaper later on will be noticable for framerates, with your quad core overclocked.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kblt
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Every six months they bring out new cards. I suggest you keep your 8800gt for a few more months to see what nvidia has in stock and it might drive the prices down for their existing cards.

"
The problem is that once Nvidia has a dx11 card out Ati is almost finished with a new set of cards, thus lowering their prices even further. Expect around 200€ 5870 in Q1-2 2010.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Diamond
@Kblt said:
The problem is that once Nvidia has a dx11 card out Ati is almost finished with a new set of cards, thus lowering their prices even further. Expect around 200€ 5870 in Q1-2 2010.
Is there any evidence that ATI will be able to follow up on their current DX11 cards that quickly?  Why should Nvidia fall so far behind?
Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kblt
@Diamond said:
 Why should Nvidia fall so far behind? "
Pushbacks on fermi, 20% clock speed reduce, 1,7% yields on the first batch, renaming their low-end cards to 3xx.

There's also rumours floating that suggest that there's a 5890 in the works, which is highly possible. It'd be Ati's answer to fermi, that is supposed to ship with similar specs compared to gtx295.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've got an 8800 right now, and I see absolutely no reason to upgrade. If I were you, I'd go for a new CPU instead.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Bellum: His cpu is quad and from his overclock there is probally no bottlenecking, he doesn't need a new cpu since a gpu would probally make more of a difference for slowdowns.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HitmanAgent47: 
Durr, you're right. I was thinking it was dual core. In that case, he should just wait.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By torus

When the nVidia 300 series comes out, and current Dx11 cards drop in price, THAT is the time to upgrade from your 8800 GT. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28  Edited By Geno

Short Answer: Wait 2 months for Nvidia.  
Long Answer: With an all-new Fermi architecture on the way with some estimates pointing at 100% performance gains over the previous generation, buying an ATi card is quite foolhardy when something much better and at the same price may come just a couple months later. Also an 8800 is alright for games until at least the next generation of consoles if you're on medium-high settings. 

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmrwacko
@septim said:
"@Marz said:

" Getting a radeon 5750 might be worthwhile if your looking to upgrade without spending a buttload of money,  it's the low budget version of the new generation of cards but performance wise you'll get a bit more performance than the 8800gt while having dx11 support.  i think it's aroudn 130$ "

The money isn't really the main issue. If I'm going through the trouble of buying and installing a new card I want a tangible leap in performance and not just an incremental increase.  I think I may have talked myself out of getting a new card. The 2010 PC slate is pretty depressing and it looks like no matter what any single GPU is not gonna push 40 FPS in Crysis anyways. "

That's true, except who the hell plays Crysis anyway?