Would you like to work in the video game industry?

• 124 results
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Claude

Video Games

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I guess I do already, given how I rule over them and stuff. Where's that option? Or do I have to play along and assume that I don't work in the industry? Fine, might as well. Yea, I'd like to work as a reviewer or something.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FourWude

"MOOOOOM!!.... Claude's drunk again!"

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Kjellm87

I always wanted, but then I joined a forum....

I kinda regret it sometimes.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

I would. I'd like to move up north to where all the video game companies are and try to get any possible job that I am qualified for but there is no way I could make that kind of move right now.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By benjaebe

I'd consider it. I'm a writer, but I'm not sure if I'd want to make something like reviewing games my career - I enjoy them too much in my free time. We'll see where it takes me I suppose.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Simplexity

I really don't, it sounds like hell to work as a developer and you don't really have any creative input on the end product anyway, so it sounds like glorified office work where you have to spend large part of your freetime working unpaid overtime during crunch times. However as a reviewer or just games press in general sure, but I can't write to save my life so it's probably not my calling.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jkuc316

I dreamt of reviewing games, but my writing sucks, so I guess developing games is better for me. I found some colleges here have courses on developing video games.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By wrighteous86

Got really close about a month ago, in Sales. My creative focus is writing though, and it's almost impossible to find an entry-level writing job at a video game company, ironically enough.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

No I like being an outsider to the industry and would like to keep it that way. Video games are a hobby and if they became work I know I would enjoy them less and become jaded.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By laserbolts
@Prodstep making the assumption that all game companies suck to work for due to a few horror stories is pretty stupid. I would love to work in video games and that's why I plan on doing some sort of programming course in the near future.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

I always pick the joke choice in polls because including them defeats the entire point of making a poll, but if I were to really answer your question, then it would be yes with an *. I would only want to work in the industry if it was in the creative design and development part where I was allowed to design the games and oversee the development to make sure it was staying true to the vision. Otherwise, a resounding fuck no. It's a crap ton of work, zero job security, long hours, average pay, and depending on what company you work for can be zero thanks or appreciation for any of that work or extra effort.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bicycleham

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude

@crusader8463 said:

I always pick the joke choice in polls because including them defeats the entire point of making a poll, but if I were to really answer your question, then it would be yes with an *. I would only want to work in the industry if it was in the creative design and development part where I was allowed to design the games and oversee the development to make sure it was staying true to the vision. Otherwise, a resounding fuck no. It's a crap ton of work, zero job security, long hours, average pay, and depending on what company you work for can be zero thanks or appreciation for any of that work or extra effort.

There is always a little truth in a good joke. Video Games covers the other. You never know.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

As a kid I wanted to, but as I get older I realize more and more that I would hate working in the video game industry.

That being said- getting paid to play games is a cool vacation from my real job and thusly why it is generally what I do.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By RobotHamster

Thats where I'm looking to go, I'm starting to apply to places and hopefully they like my stuff.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By EuanDewar

No. I like having my soul being at least still partially intact.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Gerhabio

PR

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aronman789

Fuck no, I've been a level builder for a couple projects before, and that shit fucks with your head. Couldn't enjoy games for a while.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Akrid

Well, I guess it's either that or straight CGI at this junction, so I guess there's a decent chance that I'll be attempting to get into the industry in 4-5 years time.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crusader8463
@Claude said:

@crusader8463 said:

There is always a little truth in a good joke. Video Games covers the other. You never know.

Don't mean to come across as an insult at you or anything, I have just never heard a good reason to include a joke choice in a poll. The entire point of a poll is to get a sense of how people feel, and including the joke choice just screws up those numbers and makes the entire reason for using a poll pointless. 

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine that drives me nuts every time I see people do it.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#24  Edited By natetodamax

Similar to Jeff, the more I hear about the inner workings of the industry on the developer side, the less desire I have to be involved in it. Game journalism, though, is something that I am pursuing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463
@Xolare: Pretty much that. It was a sad realization after spending two years of my life in college trying to get a job as a 3D artist.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude

@crusader8463: My polls are not designed to create numbers. They create a sense of tension of understanding and feeling. Go with your gut feeling and vote. If you decide to comment, even fucking better.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PeasantAbuse

No, I just like to play games.
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rattle618

Of course not, don´t be silly.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seedofpower

@FourWude said:

"MOOOOOM!!.... Claude's drunk again!"

Wow, everything up till now makes far more sense.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thedj93

Video Games. 

I like them.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#31  Edited By Hailinel

I already have, as a tester. Easily the most brutal hours of any job I've ever had. I wouldn't mind gettig back into it, but the pay and hours at my current testing position are so much better than when I was grinding away on games at $10 an hour.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Nah, i refuse to work in anything that has industry as a part of the name. Small business owner is the sensible choice.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By YI_Orange

On the journalism side definitely. That's actually my goal right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to work in the industry, specifically on the development side, but I possess no skills relevant to the making of video games. :[

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Claude

@Soapy86 said:

I would love to work in the industry, specifically on the development side, but I possess no skills relevant to the making of video games. :[

Did you vote Video Games?

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Surkov
@Soapy86 said:
I would love to work in the industry, specifically on the development side, but I possess no skills relevant to the making of video games. :[
Go to college. 
bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bicycleham
@crusader8463 said:
@Xolare: Pretty much that. It was a sad realization after spending two years of my life in college trying to get a job as a 3D artist.
There's a guy named Kimono that worked on texturing models for modding communities and he eventually got a job at Crytek. As far as I know, the best way to get an "easy" start in the gaming industry is to learn and do by yourself and release your work publicly. Eventually someone from somewhere contacts you.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By Kyreo

I've always wanted to write for video games, but I wouldn't mind the development process, I don't think. Video games are an amazing burgeoning medium that I have a real passion for. I'm realistic though. I'm pursuing a career in Psychology.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39  Edited By bonbolapti

maybe as a writer, or it was video game voice over. but I think the writing about the games seems a lot more fun to me : /

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Claude

@Xolare said:

@crusader8463 said:
There's a guy named Kimono that worked on texturing models for modding communities and he eventually got a job at Crytek. As far as I know, the best way to get an "easy" start in the gaming industry is to learn and do by yourself and release your work publicly. Eventually someone from somewhere contacts you.

This comment right here made this poll great for me. Stories told, lives lived, enjoy and good luck.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#41  Edited By KillyDarko

If I'm writing the story, then yes. If not, no, not really.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By ReyGitano

Yes, I want to provide my audience excellent content, like the Deadliest Warriors Legends quicklook.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Mayu_Zane

Yes, not as a programmer though. I'm currently a freelance concept artist/illustrator but it would be cool to work for a game dev studio.

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Amilmitt
@Xolare said:
@crusader8463 said:
This isnt entirely easy in the least. teaching yourself is ok, but you have to be very motivated.
The easiest and most assured way of getting a job in this industry is the people you know. 9 times out of ten a studio will hire a person they know and like then someone whose just good.
Going to school for any part of game development(3D modeling, texturing, concept, game dev) will be the most beneficial.  
not just because of the courses but of the contacts you make. The people you went to school with are highly likely to score you a job later on. 
Also a school that has an advanced course where game dev students, artist, animators come together to make a game are great. allowing on hands experience working in a team.

Clearing up the actual jobs, Most developer's will treat their employees very well.  there is indoubtable crunch time, but from stories ive heard companies will provide dinner and etc, for you.
Also one must realize that most jobs you get will be contract work, you'll be on for a set number of months. if a developer likes you they may extended your contract or hire you on permanently.
Though you should always research the company you are applying for to see if they have a good track record on how they treat their employees.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#45  Edited By citizenkane

Depends on the company. From all that I have heard about Rockstar, I would not like to work for them. I would, however, like to work for someone like Naughty Dog.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

Fuck no, I like enjoying video games. Being involved with the film industry has made it difficult to watch a film un-critically, I imagine the same thing would happen with games, and I like the fact that I'm still really easy-going on bad games. Saves me some disappointment.

bman3737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bman3737

I'm actually about to begin my college career at RIT where I'll be studying Game Design and Development, so naturally my choice was a "Fuck Yes" haha.  I'll be going in on the programming side of things, so I'll likely be working on engines and stuff, but I enjoy sitting down to code and walking away with something that I only had in my head.  And, if the whole game thing doesn't work out well, I can always try to become a software engineer as the toolsets for those jobs are similar in nature.  I love games and being able to make them sounds like a dream job, but only if I'm not at some company to makes working on them living hell.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bicycleham
@Amilmitt said:
@Xolare said:
@crusader8463 said:
This isnt entirely easy in the least. teaching yourself is ok, but you have to be very motivated. The easiest and most assured way of getting a job in this industry is the people you know. 9 times out of ten a studio will hire a person they know and like then someone whose just good. Going to school for any part of game development(3D modeling, texturing, concept, game dev) will be the most beneficial.   not just because of the courses but of the contacts you make. The people you went to school with are highly likely to score you a job later on.  Also a school that has an advanced course where game dev students, artist, animators come together to make a game are great. allowing on hands experience working in a team.  Clearing up the actual jobs, Most developer's will treat their employees very well.  there is indoubtable crunch time, but from stories ive heard companies will provide dinner and etc, for you. Also one must realize that most jobs you get will be contract work, you'll be on for a set number of months. if a developer likes you they may extended your contract or hire you on permanently. Though you should always research the company you are applying for to see if they have a good track record on how they treat their employees.
Notice the quotes around "easy" :D Kimono worked for years and years on texturing models and because he accepted the contract from Crytek he hasn't been able to release anything for any games that he works on. But to be fair, the man definitely deserves the work and the money. Check out his work, it's amazing. 
http://www.gamebanana.com/members/submissions/skins/81382
MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MezZa

Yep I'd like to. Definitely interested in the journalism side of things. Development looks cool, but I imagine it must be hell most of the time.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, but I don't think my poly sci degree is going to do me much good.