Would you use content ratings to determine what games your children can play?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By dungbootle

Poll Would you use content ratings to determine what games your children can play? (84 votes)

Yes, and I would be very strict about it too 10%
Yes, I would take them into account but I'd be fairly lenient about it 57%
No, I would ignore ratings completely but would not let them play anything too severe 30%
No, my 6 year old could play Dismemberment Simulator 2013 for all I care 4%
 • 
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Justin258

I would use them as a good guideline but they are nowhere near as valuable as actual knowledge about the game. A simple letter or number can't match that.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

That's assuming a lot, like that I'd ever have children.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

I would do my own research and create my own rating for the game. I would trust my own judgement over that of a ratings board.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I would use this mystical thing known as having good judgement for what is appropriate.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being part of a group that follows the industry, the ratings are almost inconsequential since a lot of the times we already have a good idea of what to expect before a game even comes out. If it's a game or series I'm completely unfamiliar with, watching trailers and checking the ESRB website or commonsensemedia.org for more detailed descriptions on the rating is better than saying "Under 13? No T-Rated games for you!".

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

I would do my own research and create my own rating for the game. I would trust my own judgement over that of a ratings board.

This. Have we fallen so far that we need other people to tell us what is appropriate for our own children?

...Don't answer that.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

I have complete confidence that if I ever had kids, I would probably get them hooked on Pokemon and Megaman 2 and 3 at a very early age. So I'm not too worried.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@jasonr86 said:

Pretty much.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By phantomzxro

@jasonr86 said:

Pretty much.

third that!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

No. I would not use content ratings. I would use sources other than content ratings to determine if a game is appropriate. "Too severe" seems real subjective so my response falls right in-between the last two options.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Nope, I'm savvy enough to know what games I will and won't want my daughter to play when she's older.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Me? No. I expect to be in touch with video games when I have offspring so I'd be informed enough as to what he/she can play or not.

Now my spouse on the other hand...

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Me and my wife have a pretty open policy when it comes to what my kids(when old enough) can play, we are going to take it on a case by case basis. Me, being savy enough when it comes to games and the content there-in will look at the game assess it and decide if my child is mature enough to digest that content, if not no matter what the box says, they are not going to play it. Key things I will look at is how gory/violent a game is and rather or not it has nudity. If it is a game I have no info on I will do research or have them play it in front of me for a while to get a good Idea.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I won't but this is assuming I still play games in the future and I can watch some videos of anything my kid wants before I buy it. Growing up the ratings didn't always make sense, or weren't properly justified, so I'd rather make up my own mind about it.

But ultimately, once my kid is like 10-12, there is nothing I can do to stop him from seeing or playing the shit he wants, I would know from experience. So I hope I remember that whenever I have a kid and I don't seem too harsh with content. I don't mind being the strict disciplinarian dad but I don't wanna be the asshole dad who never lets their kid watch anything fun.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Uhm. The two extreme scenarios I can see are.

• I still play and keep myself as informed about games as I do now, even after having kids.
  • I quit games and do other stuff.

In scenario one I decide on a case to case basis on what is suitable and will likely keep getting games for the kid whether he/she asks for it or not. However in scenario 2 I probably wouldn't want to accidentally buy something that could be "bad" by mistake. So during impulse purchases walking with the kid in a store or something, ratings would probably be useful! At home however I would likely just go read up on it first.

Also if the digital age is the future. KEEP AN EYE ON WHAT YOUR KIDS ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING. It's not going to be as easy to control as retail is.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the ESRB isn't enough, there's always Commonsensemedia.org.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dungbootle
audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Halo: Combat Evolved and Condemned: Criminal Origins are rated M. In my opinion, one is fine for a twelve year-old and the other is not. Batman: Arkham Asylum is rating T for Teen, but I've worked with kids and there are a few fourteen year-olds that would get nightmares from some of the headier stuff in it.

I'd note the rating, but understanding personalities and tolerances and judging the media for oneself is a much more accurate measurement.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By pyromagnestir

Or, if I do at some point have children, that I'd ever let them have a turn.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AiurFlux

I wouldn't be fairly lenient about it, but I also wouldn't unleash the Fourth Reich over it either. Everything is dependent on what the game is, how old they are, and if they can understand real violence over hyper stylized fictional violence. Typically when I have my kid, if they're interested in games, then I'll play it first and see if it's right for them. At least I'll be able to make an educated and informed decision unlike most parents of today that let their kid play a violent game, they shoot somebody, and the game is blamed instead of the shitty parenting.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jasonr86 said:

Yep. This. I'm knowledgeable enough about games that researching them myself wouldn't be anything difficult.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:D

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

for the record my mom let me play UMK3 when I was 6 years old, and I turned out...

well I turned out fine in that regard, anyway!

B is the obvious answer.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Dalai

I'd use the ratings as a guide, but I would do my own homework on the game before I buy my fictional kid something too adult for his age. Maybe more parents should follow this example.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado said:

@jasonr86 said:

This. Have we fallen so far that we need other people to tell us what is appropriate for our own children?

...Don't answer that.

Since when have we not placed the onus of determining what's proper for children on someone other than / in addition to parents?

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

I would do the same and apply it to most entertainment really. Most esrb/mpaa ratings are complete bullshit nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I will look at the ratings but being a gamer myself I will probably play the game myself or hear about it. I will look at it but it won't be my final word because of it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clonedzero

as a huge gamer myself, i realize the ratings are almost meaningless.

halo is rated M. its tame as SHIT. while gears is way more bloody and vulgar.

Skyrim is rated M, its also tame as hell. while witcher two is way more mature.

M is pretty much the most worthless rating in the industry. it tells you NOTHING about the game.

i have 30-something 360 games, all but like 2 or 3 of them are rated M. theres only about 5 or 6 i'd be worried about a 12 year old playing.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would definitely take it into consideration, although it would be more important to do my own research first.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By nightriff

Yes and I would be strict. Currently having a my first born right now I've thought a lot about this. I want my child to appreciate games so as an avid gamer, I'll select games and he can choose what to play from that selection, what I think are appropriate for his age and maturity. I will also not play certain games in front of him (Saints Row, GTA, etc) as to not be a "hypocrite" in his eyes, even though I wouldn't be one but he could think I am.

EDIT: Actually I wouldn't use their content rating but will be the judge if my child is old/mature enough to handle said material