Would you want a new video game network?

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBigBeefy

If a group of wealthy people got together and decided to make a new video game network on TV, would you want them to? Would you watch it? Or do you think it's unnecessary for a network to be made about video games?

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By EVHKwick

No. I'd rather they purchase G4 and fire damn near everyone, and start from scratch.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sanryd

The only thing I watch as far as gaming goes is an occasional Giant Bomb video and SC2 tournaments/Day9 stuff. I don't really feel like I need more than that.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By damnboyadvance

Nope. They'd probably broadcast for a few hours, then fill the rest of the time with reality TV and other crap.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

I would like to watch it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By tourgen

what is TV?  can i watch that on youtube?

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By nickux
@TheBigBeefy: I think five years ago I would have said hell yes. But honestly, I think sites like Giant Bomb are proving to me that internet-based content can serve a community just as good if not far better than the old guard of television networks. Nowadays, nothing beats the Whiskey Media channel on my Roku Box. 
JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By JustinSane311

I'd only watch if Cops is one eight hours a day

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Branthog
@TheBigBeefy said:

"  If a group of wealthy people got together and decided to make a new video game network on TV, would you want them to? Would you watch it? Or do you think it's unnecessary for a network to be made about video games? "

Who still watches actual television? Create the GBTV *online* network and use the same model that Leo Laporte uses for his TWiT network.
happyfatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By happyfatman

I think someone should take the idea of a 24-hour news network and apply it to games.  Around the clock constant discussion of video game news.  They could take all the top headlines from the various sites across the internet and in magazines and present it in a hard news format.  I would watch, it's more personal than just reading an article on the internet or in a magazine.  Just a thought. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

We don't need one, we have Giantbomb.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By monkeyking1969

There is probably only 12 hours of expensive hi-end gaming-related content needed each week.  That sounds like something an established channel could do better, or as people have said it needs to be made for online distrubution only.   

To be honest I think places like Giant Bomb can make the bulk of gaming discussion content.  Moreover, some of the best commentary on gaming I have seen is from The Escapist with eNN, UNSkippable, Zero Punctuation, Extra Credit, and Load-Ready-Run.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14  Edited By Sin4profit

The new video game network is called "The Internet"

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#15  Edited By EpicSteve
@Sin4profit said:
" The new video game network is called "The Internet" "
BAM!
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By eristocrat

I don't think I'd enjoy watching lots of commercials to learn about video games when similar content is available on demand on the internet without the time restrictions that come with TV programming.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By crusader8463

No. Sites like Giant Bomb can do anything a TV network can for a fraction of the cost and at a much timelier bases. Stuff like G4 just doesn't work in this day and age because of the internet, and how cheap it has become to buy audio/video equipment and editing programs. What used to take hundreds and thousands of dollars can be done in some ones bed room for a few thousand if they take the time to learn how. They could never compete.

The only thing they had going for them was a few weeks a year when big trade shows happened that they could cover, but now pretty much all of those are made available online for free.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think their is much hope for getting the video game network thing right. 

Even back when G4/Tech-TV was "good", it was kind of sad, shallow, and pathetic. Sometimes I'd almost feel sorry for the people on the show having to stand up and say some of that shit in front of a national audience.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By stinky
@hack745 said:
" No. I'd rather they purchase G4 and fire damn near everyone, and start from scratch. "
haha. i hate o be mean but just fire everyone and call it a day. 

TV= reruns and filler.  the web is so much better for gaming news, so i would not be interested in seeing any sort of gaming network. 
let the medium die.
hellknight8619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hellknight8619

What I wouldn't want is a bunch of tools who consider themselves professional gamers playing in multiplayer tournaments and pretending it's an actual sport.