Xbox #9 kicked the bucket last night. My first E74 error.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Hosstile17

I got home from work last night to find that I have experienced another console failure. My ninth Xbox 360 has died. Funny thing is, I got my first one on launch day and It lasted for almost two years. It has been downhill ever since. I have now had just about everything happen to them. I had one that decided to not recognize any storage devices, dead disc drives, Red Rings, defective power bricks, and one that just wouldn't turn on the moment it came back from the factory. *sigh*

How many 360s have you gone through?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hosstile17

I got home from work last night to find that I have experienced another console failure. My ninth Xbox 360 has died. Funny thing is, I got my first one on launch day and It lasted for almost two years. It has been downhill ever since. I have now had just about everything happen to them. I had one that decided to not recognize any storage devices, dead disc drives, Red Rings, defective power bricks, and one that just wouldn't turn on the moment it came back from the factory. *sigh*

How many 360s have you gone through?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NoXious

Still on my first, I don't get how you people treat your consoles. Putting it next to radiators / in the sun or something?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
@NoXious said:
" Still on my first, I don't get how you people treat your consoles. Putting it next to radiators / in the sun or something? "
Nope, we just play them. Mine froze 3 times last week giving me a green checkerboard pattern on the screen. My GPU is failing, it's only a matter of time.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@NoXious said:
" Still on my first, I don't get how you people treat your consoles. Putting it next to radiators / in the sun or something? "
Funny this always comes up, I treated mine like I treated all my consoles that still work yet the 360 kept breaking.
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hosstile17

I have taken all of the necessary precautions. It is away from other devices, in an air-conditioned room, on a glass table, and away from the power brick. I don't know what else I could do to make them last longer.

Hell, my launch Wii and PS3 systems are crammed into an entertainment center and the PS3 is even sitting on top of a Direct TV box and still operates totally fine.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

Wow, bad luck.  I am still on my original although it red-ringed twice.  I sent it in and it came back inside of ten days.  Actually, what happened is it red-ringed, I sent it in, it came back, four days later it red ringed again, this time I sent it with the power brick, it came back, I haven't had any trouble since.  My 360 is a near-launch edition without the HDMI.  I applaud your perseverance for making it to number 9.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hosstile17
@PenguinDust: I can't quit Microsoft. If it was Nintendo or Sony, I could. I own over 100 disc games and over 100 arcade games. Hell, I bought a Japanese 360 to play all the bullet-hell shooters. I almost walked away last year when the warranty was up and that system failed, leaving me with no choice but to buy another console. But, I sucked it up and bought a new one with HDMI. Hopefully, this is the last time.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

Mine died once from the E74 error and not by my own hand either.  It's actually over four years old from the last time I said this.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Skald

Last time my Xbox failed I had to buy a new one, since the error was not covered under warranty. On the plus side, my new Xbox has HDMI.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By louiedog
@NoXious said:
I had two consoles die. Both were sitting on a wire rack, which means air circulating on all sides. Both happened during the winter, when that room never got warmer than the high 60s. They did not receive direct sunlight. Even in the summer that room never got above the low 70s, so it wasn't from extended wear and tear. Neither were ever on for more than a few hours at a time*. I took very good care of those 360s. I'm sure there are cases where consoles die because of user error. I'm sure there are people who get the RROD because they keep their consoles in bad locations (of course they should still be designed better). However, you can't rule out the fact that the consoles are just not made that well.

*Unless they release a slim with a very low failure rate, I've accepted the fact that I'll never even try for the 7-day survivor Dead Rising achievement.
nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nanikore

I would've learned my lesson after Xbox #2.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fwylo
I had an xbox, then sold it and it didn't red ring while I had it.  And I currently have two xbox's, and neither have ringed.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By LeetBalla

Still on my launch console, November 2005.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
@NoXious said:
wafflestomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By wafflestomp

Still on my launch 360, never had a problem. *Knocks on wood. *Knocks on wood again for Vinny.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your 360 :(

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By CyleMoore

I think it is time for you to buy a PS3 now.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hosstile17

I own a PS3 and a Wii. I just use them for the exclusives. Everyone I like to play games with owns a 360.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By moelarrycurly
@Hosstile17: You'd better hope that MS's next console is more reliable and has backwards compatibility.
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hosstile17
@moelarrycurly: I at least hope that the arcade games and achievements carry over. The disc based games would be nice. But, my PS3 is backward compatible and I never play any of the mountains of PS2 games I have amassed.
KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Fuck, man...NINE Xboxes? I don't know whether I want to commend you or slap you across the face for sticking with MS for that long. I'm currently on my second one. I just bought it in December, so I really hope it lasts for a long time. My first one I bought used in the Summer of 07, right after I graduated. In its final months, it gave me endless problems, mostly with the disc drive, and it finally bit it this past August. All I know is that if my current Xbox dies within the next year I will absolutely be switching to a PS3.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

My '07 (still launch model though, RIGHT before the upgrade) xbox died once, but nothing since. And brother I ABUUUUSE my consoles. 

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hosstile17
@OneKillWonder: There have definitely been a couple times when I have had to look in the mirror and ask, "What have I become?" You gotta realize that I have actually only bought three. The others were all fixed under warranty.
nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nail1080
@CL60 said:
" @NoXious said:
"
gotta love the cocky dudes who haven't had a break yet and think it's the consumers fault when it is an obvious fact at this stage that most 360s break not because of us but because of how microsoft built them. I've had 5, or 6 or 7 360s, don't know I've lost count, but I have loads of money anyway so I dont give a shit
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:
" @NoXious said:
"
I and all my friends have taken good care of our 360's but they always broke, the number of launch 360's still alive must be very very slim.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60
@Bucketdeth said:
" @CL60 said:
" @NoXious said:
"
I and all my friends have taken good care of our 360's but they always broke, the number of launch 360's still alive must be very very slim. "
Probably are. But the new 360s don't break as often as some people would like others to believe.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bones8677

Are you buying these consoles brand new from legitimate sellers?

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hosstile17

My two American consoles were bought from big-box retailers brand-new. My Japanese console, which has never malfunctioned, I bought from play-asia.

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JB16
@NoXious said:
Ahh arrogant ignorance at its best.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Snail

Haha. Xbox.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJOR64

Damn, I must be lucky to be on my first Xbox 360 still.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scullinator
@Hosstile17:   Wow buddy you got some bad luck.  have you had to pay for any repairs?  Im on my 5th.  On my last call to 18004myxobx they tried to charge me for my repair.  I wasnt rude but I did raise a little hell.  I finally spoke to someone who could see that I had 4 consoles die already and agreed to replace my last one for free because of the number of past failures.  I smoke a lot and live in a small apartment so I think thats why I have had so many systems break down.  One red ringed the rest were disc read errors.  Currently my PS3 will not read discs.  I dont think any amount of hell I could raise could get that system fixed for free.  Oh well.

@Snail: dont be a dick.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zombie2011

You're doing something wrong.

yevinorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#34  Edited By yevinorion

Man, I feel for you. Hopefully this one will last you awhile. I'm on my second one right now. Bought one around March 08 when I first moved back to The Bahamas. That one died around November last year, full on 3 red rings. I kept it away from the power brick, no direct sunlight and supported by something (usually a thick novel) just a little less wide so the vents on all sides are unobstructed. Living where I do, it's a real pain in the ass to ship them in and out so the warranty really isn't as useful as in the US. I ended up just buying a MW2 360 since it had the 250GB HDD. So far so good on that one. *knocks on wood*

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By btman

funny how my ps3 has never broken....not once

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hosstile17

I am actually not that worried about it. The only thing I was gonna play for the next few weeks was the Halo: Rech beta and it works on my Japanese console. So, all is well. It is not like it broke the day that Reach came out or anything. Ha ha. Because I said that, the next time it breaks will totally be the day that Reach comes out.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hosstile17
@btman:

Neither has mine. Want a cake?
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dalai

My original N64 still works. 14 years strong!

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Azrail

ahhhh pc's not so bad afterall!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By PerryVandell

My 3rd 360 red ringed a couple weeks ago and just received an email from microsoft saying they are sending one back so at least I'll be able to get some Reach beta in, but not for TNT.

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EliasT
@Hosstile17 said:
" I got home from work last night to find that I have experienced another console failure. My ninth Xbox 360 has died. Funny thing is, I got my first one on launch day and It lasted for almost two years. It has been downhill ever since. I have now had just about everything happen to them. I had one that decided to not recognize any storage devices, dead disc drives, Red Rings, defective power bricks, and one that just wouldn't turn on the moment it came back from the factory. *sigh*  How many 360s have you gone through? "
HOLY SHIT, YOUR NINTH????
FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FireSketch

Damn, nine Xboxes?!
You deserve a medal, or at least some fucking points cards.

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EliasT
@btman said:
" funny how my ps3 has never broken....not once "
This [is why I love PS3].
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hosstile17

To be fair, I might have gone through 9 PS3s by now. Except I never play mine, like, ever.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By jakob187

Dood...9 Xbox 360 consoles? 

It's not the Xbox 360 consoles at this point.  If I had to guess, you are not keeping that thing cleaned and well-ventilated.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DystopiaX
@NoXious said:
no, you're just lucky. I treat all my shit with extreme care and I still got RROD.
GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GnaTSoL

Are the newer 360s failing too? Like the elites and special editions?

I bought a RE5 special edition elite last year and hope it never dies. I wouldn't be able to accept bulls**t like that. Stuff I paid good money for shouldn't be failing like that.  Who cares that I can send my broke 360 to Microsoft to be fixed. I shouldn't fear things getting to that point in the first place knowing I take good care of my console.

It's beyond me why Microsoft hasn't fixed this problem by updating their console hardware. The consumers haven't bitched enough.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Lame. I'm on my first 360 and I just that care of it like anything else, just sits there and seen as I know it's a piece of shit I don't play it for ages, I most I've had it on for was like 7 hours. Also this is my only console, planning on getting a PS3 sometime this year, but I'm good with my PC.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By bybeach

Mine failed once, and got a 'new' one for replacement. I tried 2 extra fan pack solutions, base and back. What I found was the back screwed the 360's fans up, and the bottom base unit had a noisy fan of it's own. What I did then was remove the back  After market Addition, and disconnected the fans in the Base unit. That base was bullsh*t  in a few ways anyways,  had what looked like the button in front, but the actual piss-poor switch in back. Some poor design..except the base is rather solid and well vented and it keeps the bottom of the Box 360 off  the table.  Air gets through.

Since then a door has fallen of my 360, so I have lack of trust on some quality issues..But  it runs well! I'd say 3 years now mabe.