.....what?...

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By warchief

please, please, please let this be the stupid decision that causes gamestop to go out of business.

so yes gamestop release this thing next year, heck make 5,000,000 of them bet the farm on this "awesome" idea.

Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Agent47

@Warchief:

Yes please I hope Gamestop gets fucking shut down and all their stores be replaced by the much better, friendly, Play N Trade.

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By spctre

Kudos @Patrick, that sub-headline cracked me up thoroughly.

captroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By captroy

This idea is, frankly, insane. Given Nintendo's problems with selling the 3DS (and I'm having problems figuring out how the Vita is going to be successful), handheld gaming on devices that lack the easy capability of smartphones is becoming a serious gamble. I can't imagine how GameStop is going to get people to buy a TABLET that's somehow dedicated to gaming, even if it can do all of the other things Android does. What percentage of today's public is buying iPads PRIMARILY for gaming? If that number is above 2%, I'd be shocked.

Apple is cleaning up in the tablet market because they're making the hardware, which allows them to produce a high-quality product at a cost lower than their competitors. Amazon's upcoming tablet might be a serious competitor, if only for the same reason - they're making their own hardware, IIRC. Lord knows, with GameStop's horrible customer service and questionable business practices, I'll be damned if I ever buy something that tied me to their company in any way.

Oh, and @Law313, you shouldn't buy a tablet if you want it to do everything a laptop can do. That's what LAPTOPS are for! The day I got my iPad was the day I decided to give my netbook to my neighbor. It's the perfect device for web surfing, answering email, reading books, watching YouTube videos and playing an occasional game. I don't have to wait 2 minutes for it to boot up. I don't need to download Windows Updates, virus updates and other BS when I just want to search for something on Google. If I have serious work to do that an iPad can't handle, I use one of my laptops. If I just want to play Words With Friends or write an email, I use the iPad. In fact, one of the best uses for it is to look up game info (FAQ's or YouTube gameplay videos) If I'm playing something on my 360 or PS3 that I'm having a problem with. I don't want to have my laptop sitting on my lap to do those kinds of things - it's a pain and total overkill.

I'm a PC person, but I've never had anyone use my iPad for longer than 5 minutes who didn't love it and wanted to buy one for themselves. Apple isn't selling millions of iPads because they're useless. Buy the base $499 model, try it for a week and if you don't find that it's a terrific, convenient device, take it back. I think that if you go into it with an open mind, you'll find you really like it and wonder why someone didn't come up with the idea sooner.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Is this really necessary?

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By NekuCTR

The tablet market is already getting too crowded, did not expect that honestly. Seriously, this probably isn't even going to be a "cheap" model. Why would someone buy this instead of an apple or a mainstream android, AND there are cheaper alternatives.

EDIT: also way to go corporate assholes, with your "we don't have enough shelf space for rhythm peripherals" whiny bullshit. Apparently you have enough space for this atrocity.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By AuthenticM

Next: GameStop launches its own smartphone, followed by a GameStop-branded television. A year later, GameStop files for bankruptcy. Everyone wins.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BadNews: But this doesn't seem like innovation at all! If the innovation is tactical buttons added onto a tablet then it's an oddly shaped notebook or just a more tablet esque 3ds and PlayStation Vita as both of those have touch screens and tactical buttons and motion control! In fact the best comparison I can think of is the Wii U controller if it was the whole console. There are so many things coming out that have similar inputs that I fail to see this as innovation.

This isn't innovation this is the PlayStation move!

Boopie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Boopie

I want to see Amazon's tablet I have no interest in seeing or hearing about this thing ever again

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111  Edited By rjaylee

Interesting to see all this infrastructure and market expansion Gamestop has planned using it's used game sales profits, which of course were extracted via the sweat and tears of developers.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By UnrealDP

Cool, i'm always open to new ideas and i hope this works out. I just hope that there's a decent tablet under all those games.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By amomjc

Seems interesting, the tablet industry needs some competition and GameStop, if what they say about it is true, sounds like a worthy contender.

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet it will want an e-mail address upon first boot so it can flood that inbox with Gamestop advertisements.

Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

It's going to bomba. I can't wait until Gamestop goes out of business.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By iam3green

o cool. i'm not going to be getting it but cool. i wounder how its going to work. 

i wounder how onlive is going to see it.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By tourgen

alright, well good for them.  a bricks-and-mortal retailer trying to make that jump over to the new age and way of doing the game business.  I'd rather see them try something like this than dragging down game retail into a pit of doom.  Android is probably the way to go too.  Big question tho - what is that controller going to look like and will it be separate or integrated into the tablet?

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Corvak

Oh god. Why is this allowed to exist?

Somehow I am thankful that, like everything Gamestop does, this will probably only be in the US.

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By JohnDudebro

I will buy one of these off eBay.

Then I'll bring it into a Gamestop and tell everyone how great it is to buy their tablet used.

Sundance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Sundance

Okay, so think about this for a second though. What if, when you buy a copy of a game from Gamestop, they give you a digital code to play that game on the tablet? That would be pretty cool. I'd could get into playing some Skyrim on-the-go. Would also explain the whole hullabaloo over pulling the Deus Ex Onlive coupons (which basically were doing the same thing).

Kind of like how you get a digital copy of a DVD now when you purchase the physical copy.

This has the potential to be cool, if this is one of the benefits. I mean, didn't they just buy a company that's sole purpose was streaming console games? What other purpose would that be for?

It all depends on the details, but I wouldn't write this off as just another tablet flop. A handheld console streaming device would be pretty sick in my opinion. Especially if it was set up for online gaming.

StickyW3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By StickyW3b

Ill stick with my IPad

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By phrali

I WANT TO PREORDER IT

CAN I HAZ WARRANTY

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#125  Edited By ptys

This is going to go down like a lead balloon!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By DonPixel

Well, they do need to invest their money before retail goes the way of the dodo.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#127  Edited By mariokart64fan

omg , nintendo get your gun ready---- the nintendo gameboy 3d , seriously make one of those, na the 3ds can wipe this thing out alone but i wouldnt mind nintendo going for the 2 punch strategy !!!!

omg seriously take out gamestop , they need to be stopped , before they even get started, if they enter the console market id be royally mad, cause that means theyll no longer carry other games then its own nintendo should take drastic action using wii u , or come out with gameboy tablet, that would put an end to vita and this pos lol

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Capum15
@ptys said:

This is going to go down like a lead balloon!

Didn't Mythbusters make one float? Granted, it was so thin a light cough could tear a hole in it, but still, it carried a little basket.

On topic, this is sure...interesting. Kinda weird, too.
lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By lead_farmer

@mariokart64fan said:

omg , nintendo get your gun ready---- the nintendo gameboy 3d , seriously make one of those, na the 3ds can wipe this thing out alone but i wouldnt mind nintendo going for the 2 punch strategy !!!!

omg seriously take out gamestop , they need to be stopped , before they even get started, if they enter the console market id be royally mad, cause that means theyll no longer carry other games then its own nintendo should take drastic action using wii u , or come out with gameboy tablet, that would put an end to vita and this pos lol

Settle down. It's a tablet. I doubt they would stop selling other games seeing as how they are a huge retailer and still making money off of it. Besides there are plenty of other ways to purchase games.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By napalm

@darkjester74 said:

I wonder what the trade in value will be?

You'll get back at least seventy-five percent of the cost on the first day, and after that you'll get a maximum of ten percent.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#131  Edited By piropeople13

@WJist said:

Unless they offer a library as deep as Steam's (or allowing Steam to work on the tablet, doubtful), this is going to be a big No Thank You. Maybe I don't know enough about PC gaming, but aren't there other hardware limitations, even if they do use OnLive-like tech to stream games that demand better horsepower?

They had a tech demo that was exclusive to onlive, but all the other normal games looks worse than their console counterparts because of the heavy compression used in the 720p video stream.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By mewarmo990

This news is already odd enough, but a tablet with a self-designed gaming controller? Huh?

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By beeftothetaco

Hated it as soon as I saw "Gamestop."

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Wolverine

Why would anyone buy a GameStop branded gaming tablet? All tablets have games available for them. They would far of better just selling a controller for general gaming on Android and try to create a standard.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By foggel

I hope they don't print Gamestop on it, as most people assosiate the brand with poor quality.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Sharpless

No.

And, if I may elaborate on that point: Nope.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By shodan2020

Do you remember that one time when Blockbuster tried to out Netflix Netflix? Yeah, this is probably going to end a lot like that...

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By scarace360

How do they sell you a digital used game?

BlaineBlaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By BlaineBlaine

I look forward to buying these from clearance sales on Woot.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By penguindust

Everyone is making an Android-based tablet these days.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By sins_of_mosin

So most likely it will run mobile games and maybe a few games dev for it.  I don't really see this as being all that exciting.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Tally_Pants

@foggel said:

I hope they don't print Gamestop on it, as most people assosiate the brand with poor quality.

There knock off console peripherals are absolute garbage! (controllers, memory cards etc) I can't see this being of any better quality. The controllers always had those cheap hard plastic buttons that "clicked/clunked" when you pressed them, and the case of the controller always felt like it was going to come apart in your hand as you played.