Your favorite unsung games.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By galacticgravy

First off, this thread will NOT spiral in to a "my game is more rare than yours".  Don't mistake the title of the thread. Unsung. People might know about it, but it may not have gotten that much praise for one reason or another. So let's state what the game is, what platform you played it on, and why it deserved your attention.  I'll start.

Game: Grandia II
Platform: PS2 
Genre: JRPG
Why?: It stands as the only JRPG I have ever played where I intentionally walked in to random encounters. I loved the battle system, and while it was a bit easy, it still remains the most fun RPG in my library. The story wasn't the best, but the voice acting was comparatively good and the gameplay was great.

Your turn.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Game: Breakdown 
Platform: Xbox 
Genre: First Person... Fighting? First Person Adventure? Hard to say. 
Why?: Well, the storyline is beyond messed up. It's really interesting, and you get to go to some very strange places and the combat is extremely satisfying. It's kinda like Zeno Clash, except it came out like years and years ago. It was a Japanese-made Xbox exclusive so it wasn't really heard of very much, but nonetheless an extremely fun and unique game. 

Can I do another? 

Game: Gunvalkyrie 
Platform: Xbox 
Genre: Third person mech suit and jetpack based shooter 
Why?: Gunvalkyrie was, along with Jet Set Radio Future, Sega GT 2002, Shenmue 2, and the Otogi series, one of Sega's excellent Xbox exclusives. The games they were churning out back then (developed OR published) were simply amazing. This game is probably my favorite of them all and it comes down to one thing: the controls. Gunvalkyrie featured some of the most ass-backward control you'd find in a game, even today, but once you learned it you almost felt like you took a course or something. The controls became so fluid and intuitive, you would look down at your hands and wonder how the hell you managed to multitask so much. It was a balance between saving enough energy to stay in the air (The ground is covered in enemies, too much to handle from down there) and gunplay. Amazing sound effects, Wicked graphics, and truly thrilling gameplay. Too bad I still have my copy with no Xbox to play it on :(  

@BoogieWithStu: Boogie With Stu is one of my favorite Led Zep songs :D

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure 

I don't give two flying shits what people say or think about the title/marc ecko/graffiti. This game is worth your time, it actually has a decent story that picks up quite quickly, the gameplay has some really good moments (as well as some bad ones) and overall I thought it was fantastic, i'm so glad I bought it because originally I bought it as a joke. 

That and: 

Alundra  

I honestly think this game eclipses every 2D Zelda game. It's got a fantastic story, mind-blowingly awesome boss fights, epic puzzles, great music and fantastic 2D top-down adventure gameplay. 
Imo this game kicks the crap out of the 2D Zelda series, and I don't just say that to crap on Zelda, I love those games, I mean to convey just how amazing I think Alundra is. Don't bother with the sequel it's shit.
gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gosukiller
@BoogieWithStu: 
I loved Grandia 2. I played it back to back with Final Fantasy 7 and it felt like the best gaming month I had.

Game: Freespace (2)
Platform: PC
Genre: Space Sim
I wouldn't exactly call it ''unsung", but since the new generation of consoles have  ZERO games comparable to Freespace and the fact that it's a licensing nightmare, I KNOW it will never get a true sequel. 

Flying around killing/protecting ships that were 100.000 times larger than you was just a beautiful experience.

P.S. I am aware of the X3 and Freelancer games. Both good games, but nothing like it.
galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By galacticgravy
Game: Prey
Platform: Xbox 360
Genre: FPS
Why?: Look, I found it for $3.99 in a bargain bin at GameStop. It was a standard, and solid FPS. Having some work done by Art Bell was a nice touch, too. For $3.99 I got about 15 hours of gameplay (maybe a little less. It's been a while) out of it. Take a look at that ratio compared to many other, solo, activities.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Illmatic

I don't know if it was unsung at the time of its release as I didn't really read much from the games press at the time but...

Game: Jet Force Gemini
Platform : N64
Genre : Third Person Shooter
Why: I will wholeheartedly admit it may just be because I hadn't really ever played a shooter till this game but the ridiculous setting (ants and other bugs against tribal bears) and characters (a dog with a gun attached to its back and hover paws) just added to my enjoyment of the game. I do recall the game being very difficult but I had a blast playing multiplayer with friends. The only setback I can think of was the ridiculous mandatory collectathon of captive bears in order to beat the game. I never got to witness the ending as a kid because even as a child I refused to embark on a quest to "collect them all." Don't get me wrong, I don't want a sequel to this game or even a remake but it does take me back to remember the time spent with this game.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@BoogieWithStu:  Good choice, it's a really solid and enjoyable shooter imo, especially for the price you can pick it up for nowadays it's well worth every penny.
Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Cazamalos
Yakuza 3  

people think this game is dated and the cuts that SEGA done to it, make it shitty and shorter, but the truth is, i've played a lot of open world games, and Kamurucho is by far the most vivid open world city on a video game, there are unique people actually doing things, not just pedestrian waiting to be killed or something, there are shop , and the voices like "konichiwa" when you leave a shop that really give live to places,  the battle system it may have bad things but it just fits perfectly into the yakuza idea and the wepons usage is very fun,  the plot and story telling are great too, very movie like and plus it have some crazy things, side missions and mini-games are a lot of fun and what SEGA  cut off  for the american release was things we really would't understood , if you are curious to try this game go ahead and buy it used or something, or maybe wait for yakuza 4 i heard it have a more polish battle system,.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

It isn't all to rare or unknown, but it's far from being a standout game that practically everyone knows about; 

Game : God Hand 

Platform: Ps2 
Genre: Beat Em Up 
Why: It's just a fantastically fun game paying homage to a lot of the old school brawlers from the SNES/Megadrive. A great amount of customisation for your combos and like any other CAPCOM game, a whole heap of unlockables to give it some lengthy replay value. And even a single playthrough is a healthy chunk of content at around 12 hours I think.
galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By galacticgravy
@xyzygy:  Haha yeah I feel like "Boogie With Stu" is pretty unsung itself.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain

Ohh I almost forgot. 

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/Lucifer's Call 
As much as I LOVE Persona 3 and 4, people need to STFU about them just because of the Endurance Run. Nocturne is the absolute pinnacle of the SMT series so far in my mind and one of the greatest JRPGs ever made in my personal opinion. I enjoyed every single second of this game, it's unique in almost every facet, the story is intriguing (if a little sparse) and it offers a lot of depth in it's combat system as well as hundreds of hours of content to play through. 

Seriously, if you even pretend to be an SMT fan, you MUST play this game. It's amazing. And it also features two rather unique elements. 1 being the end of the world in the games opening scene. 2 being Dante from Devil May Cry. He starts out as an enemy, but can be recruited to your team later on. 

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By galacticgravy
Game: Mega Man X5
Platform: PSX
Genre: Platform
Why?: I know what you're thinking. Just because it's a Mega Man game doesn't mean it's a blockbuster. Truth is, MMX5 didn't get nearly as much praise as MM1-3, or MMX1-4. Was it worthy of it? Perhaps. While fundamentally not as amazing as those previously mentioned, MMX5 used many throwbacks to those games. From little hints in the background to the lasers from Quickman's stage. Overall it was a solid Mega Man game, and as a Mega Man nerd it was nice to see old bosses like Rangda Bangda remade for Zero to take a crack at.  
galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By galacticgravy
Game: Pocket Tanks Deluxe
Platform: PC
Genre: Arcade...tank...shooting game
Why?: So much mindless fun. With like 7 billion weapons and tons of ways you could use them, it really made you think sometimes. Put the CPU difficulty on max, and make the weapon load out random (you get 10 or so random weapons out of a possible 50 or something. Maybe more now with the expansions) and you're in for an awesome game. It's great figuring out how the AI works and finding ways to trick it. Many late nights spent playing that. Fun little soundtrack, too.