• 63 results
Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Your favourite "little girl you're supposed to care about" in games? (spoilers) (238 votes)

Ellie (The Last of Us) 18%
Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) 8%
Clementine (The Walking Dead) 32%
Nanako (Persona 4) 34%
...Other 7%

Watching a playthrough of The Last of Us, I'm surprised how detached I was from some of the emotions (although it is really really well-written). I believe it's because I'm reminded so much of Prince of Persia (2008), which I thought at the time to be absolutely amazing, when you (the main character) would say "fuck this world" and go with the selfish option.

It seems like a recurring theme and I swear it would get old really quick if this continues. Not to go all feminist but seriously, why are little boys in video games always supporting characters mirrored to the little girl character you're supposed to care about? ughh I don't know, man. I like having a likeable companion but I really am getting tired of this cheap trick to pull your heart strings.

I would have to choose.... Nanako. Man, when I learned that the perp killed her, I've never thought I'd believe pushing someone off a building is acceptable. You really are my favourite video game little girl ever.

#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36090 posts) -

How does Elizabeth count? She's old enough to live on her own. Maybe not socially intelligent enough, but definitely old enough.

#2 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

I would choose Liz but she's a grown woman.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11719 posts) -

How does Elizabeth count? She's old enough to live on her own. Maybe not socially intelligent enough, but definitely old enough.

Yeah, If I remember correctly, she's 20 - or was it 19? Either way, I don't think you'd classify someone that's 19 or 20 as a little girl, unless you were being condescending.

Anyway, Clem.

#4 Edited by neoepoch (1293 posts) -

I think the ending of Infinite made me see Elizabeth in a new light at least.

#5 Posted by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

Dom from Gears Of War

#6 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -
#7 Posted by RVonE (4607 posts) -

I like all of those, but Elizabeth most of all.

But really, Yorda is where it's at.

#8 Edited by themangalist (1727 posts) -

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and the player/main character becomes attached to her as the story unfolds (and possibly matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...)

#9 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2204 posts) -

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...

Had I known that's what you meant I would have picked Elizabeth.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11719 posts) -

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...

Does Alyx Vance count? :o

#11 Posted by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

Nanako was flat out retarded

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3836 posts) -

@rvone: She needs a shoulder replacement though

#13 Edited by LoveSpuds (114 posts) -

As much as I enjoyed the story in Walking Dead....and this is going to make me sound very shallow.....the art style never allowed me to lose myself in the universe in the same was as I did in The Last of Us.

I feel the the story in The Last of Us was easily the equal of Walking Dead, not something I say lightly. But when you add in the gameplay and the quality of the graphics and amazing sound and music in TLOU, I found myself absolutely invested in that universe and genuinely scared for Ellie at points in that story.

I only wish I could erase my memory and play both Walking Dead and TLOU for the 1st time again, both epic games!

Great question too by the way OP

#14 Posted by themangalist (1727 posts) -

Nanako was flat out retarded

You're right. This thread is totally fucked :P

#15 Posted by SpaceRunaway (848 posts) -

Yorda. Always Yorda.

#16 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Ken Amada from Persona 3.

#17 Posted by jimmyfenix (3836 posts) -
#18 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

Amy.

lol j/k

Since I'm still enveloped The Last of Us hype, I want to say Ellie, but I dunno... Clementine actually got me to cry for starters.

#19 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

Making me choose between Clementine and Nanako, what kind of a monster are you.

#20 Posted by TheRealMoot (356 posts) -
@irvandus said:

My thoughts exactly.

I'll go with the one that made me cry: Nanako. Yes, I cried at the end of Persona 4. I was torn up and out for blood... and crying like a baby...

#21 Posted by themangalist (1727 posts) -

@irvandus said:

My thoughts exactly.

I'll go with the one that made me cry: Nanako. Yes, I cried at the end of Persona 4. I was torn up and out for blood... and crying like a baby...

There is only one place for a little girl in my heart and that is Nanoko. Clementine comes real close for me but come on. She doesn't sing along with the Junes tune.

#22 Edited by afabs515 (1014 posts) -

Neglectful father + "Every day is great at your Junes!" = immediate emotional attachment

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Tiny Tina. Fuck yeah.

#24 Posted by RawknRo11a (554 posts) -

As others have said Clementine from The Walking Dead. I actually felt terrible when I did something that upset her. Plus, THAT ENDING...

#25 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

As in movies, I think having to protect a kid really kills the action and fun. Thats why I hope in that World War Z film, his family gets killed really quick.

#26 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I've only played two of those games, so Clementine gets a slight victory over Nanako. Clementine was the only reason I finished the Walking Dead, while Nanako only really made me sad because she didn't welcome me home when she got kidnapped.

#27 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

Dom from Gears Of War

MAARIIIIAAAAAAA

#28 Edited by WalkerTR77 (1352 posts) -

For anyone who didn't vote Nanako, please think back and remember the first time you came home and she wasn't there. No "Big Bro!", no cheery music, just an empty house and that sombre piano score. Now please rethink your choice, Clementine was a just a blank slate of a character.

#29 Edited by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

@fourwude said:

Ken Amada from Persona 3.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK That Kid.

#30 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

guys is this really a problem with the video game industry? little girl sidekicks who you are meant to care for? really?

#31 Posted by themangalist (1727 posts) -

@tarsier said:

guys is this really a problem with the video game industry? little girl sidekicks who you are meant to care for? really?

no one said it was a problem. I only said it's a story trope that's starting to get old.

#32 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Clem, because she acted how I expected a little girl to act.

Ellie's interesting when she's acting her age, but I thought her "tough girl" attitude was irritating, even if it did make sense considering the situation she was in.

#33 Posted by SlashDance (1806 posts) -

You're gonna make me chose between Clem and Nanako ? You monster.

#34 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

Big bro...

#35 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

I have to pick Nanako because she's too bloody adorable and I felt bad every time she was sad.

#36 Edited by Demoskinos (14585 posts) -

Er.....Elizabeth isn't a little girl but I guess her because I really liked Bioshock Infinite?

#37 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Charlie bitch

#38 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

I don't know why Elizabeth is an option, but Nanako, definitely. She can actually die in Persona 4's bad ending. Clem is just The Walking Dead's invincible child.

#39 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Dom from Gears Of War

This actually made me laugh. Good work.

#40 Posted by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

@hailinel said:

I don't know why Elizabeth is an option, but Nanako, definitely. She can actually die in Persona 4's bad ending. Clem is just The Walking Dead's invincible child.

I never knew that. :[

To youtube i go

#41 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

NANAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

#42 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Does Chou Chou count? I've only played a couple of hours of Mugen Souls but I'd probably pick her on the basis of being a protagonist and the main character.

#43 Posted by Mento (2443 posts) -

One of these. Don't make me choose.

#44 Edited by hollitz (1443 posts) -

Elizabeth is an adult woman who could tear worlds apart.

#45 Posted by themangalist (1727 posts) -

Er.....Elizabeth isn't a little girl but I guess her because I really liked Bioshock Infinite?

@hollitz said:

Elizabeth is an adult woman who could tear worlds apart.

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and the player/main character becomes attached to her as the story unfolds (and possibly matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...)

Blame Giantbomb that I can't edit my post if it's a poll.

#46 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

Every day's great at your Junes!!

Nanako.

But to break it down further, The Walking Dead never grabbed me and I definitely had the feeling that both Ellie and Elizabeth could handle themselves (especially by the end of those games).

#47 Edited by Sweep (8826 posts) -

Ashley from Resident Evil 4 was probably the first... but she was pretty annoying.

Ellie was great because she was actually useful and even though you felt protective, you also knew that she was competent enough to look after herself.

#48 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1479 posts) -

@lovespuds said:

As much as I enjoyed the story in Walking Dead....and this is going to make me sound very shallow.....the art style never allowed me to lose myself in the universe in the same was as I did in The Last of Us.

I feel the the story in The Last of Us was easily the equal of Walking Dead, not something I say lightly. But when you add in the gameplay and the quality of the graphics and amazing sound and music in TLOU, I found myself absolutely invested in that universe and genuinely scared for Ellie at points in that story.

I only wish I could erase my memory and play both Walking Dead and TLOU for the 1st time again, both epic games!

Great question too by the way OP

I kind of understand what you mean. The story in the Walking Dead is phenomenal, but in terms of presentation there is certainly something to be desired, especially compared to a game The Last of Us. It isn't the art style that bothers me, but the abundance of canned animations really stands out compared to all the mocap in bigger budget games. I really hope the massive success of the TWD allows them to improve those aspects of the game in the second season.

As for the question, I don't really consider Ellie or Elizabeth "little girls". They are both teenagers; one pretty much an adult and the other drops more "motherfuckers" than just about any video game character I can think of off the top of my head. The little nickpick about the wording of the questions aside, I have to go with Ellie, though I can say I did become to attached to all the characters listed in the poll, some of the best in games.

#49 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2008 posts) -

I'm surprised Dom gets a mention in this thread before Big Bo!

Ugh, the final stages of my Binary Domain playthrough were so stressful because of him! First, I almost lose him to that Cerberus creature, he then thanks me by seemingly going turncoat for moment before going all like "J/K, instead I'm gonna sacrifice myself because I'm suddenly cool with yo gurl that we were reluctant about being cool with for the last hour" and this emoticon is basically my reaction to all of this: (;´Д`)ノ "Wwwwhhhhhyyyyyyy?!"

By the way: I know there's an ending where he lives but I'm super cool with my playthrough getting me the aforementioned ending.

In all seriousness, though. In spite of how much I loved Ellie in The Last of Us, how I think Nanako is one of the most endearing characters in a JRPG, and how I really appreciated Elizabeth's character and role in the scheme of BioShock Infinite; I still think Clementine will win this for me just because she's more forcibly thrust into a messed up world (Ellie still has Joel, but who does Clementine have now?) Thus I'd say I "care" more about her relative to this poll, SHE NEEDS THE CARE MOST!

#50 Edited by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

If nanako don't win you guys are monsters.