Your favourite "little girl you're supposed to care about" in games? (spoilers)

• 63 results
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By themangalist

Poll Your favourite "little girl you're supposed to care about" in games? (spoilers) (238 votes)

Ellie (The Last of Us) 18%
Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) 8%
Clementine (The Walking Dead) 32%
Nanako (Persona 4) 34%
...Other 7%

Watching a playthrough of The Last of Us, I'm surprised how detached I was from some of the emotions (although it is really really well-written). I believe it's because I'm reminded so much of Prince of Persia (2008), which I thought at the time to be absolutely amazing, when you (the main character) would say "fuck this world" and go with the selfish option.

It seems like a recurring theme and I swear it would get old really quick if this continues. Not to go all feminist but seriously, why are little boys in video games always supporting characters mirrored to the little girl character you're supposed to care about? ughh I don't know, man. I like having a likeable companion but I really am getting tired of this cheap trick to pull your heart strings.

I would have to choose.... Nanako. Man, when I learned that the perp killed her, I've never thought I'd believe pushing someone off a building is acceptable. You really are my favourite video game little girl ever.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

How does Elizabeth count? She's old enough to live on her own. Maybe not socially intelligent enough, but definitely old enough.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I would choose Liz but she's a grown woman.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

How does Elizabeth count? She's old enough to live on her own. Maybe not socially intelligent enough, but definitely old enough.

Yeah, If I remember correctly, she's 20 - or was it 19? Either way, I don't think you'd classify someone that's 19 or 20 as a little girl, unless you were being condescending.

Anyway, Clem.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By neoepoch

I think the ending of Infinite made me see Elizabeth in a new light at least.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Dom from Gears Of War

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like all of those, but Elizabeth most of all.

But really, Yorda is where it's at.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themangalist

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and the player/main character becomes attached to her as the story unfolds (and possibly matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...)

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...

Had I known that's what you meant I would have picked Elizabeth.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...

Does Alyx Vance count? :o

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nanako was flat out retarded

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rvone: She needs a shoulder replacement though

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LoveSpuds

As much as I enjoyed the story in Walking Dead....and this is going to make me sound very shallow.....the art style never allowed me to lose myself in the universe in the same was as I did in The Last of Us.

I feel the the story in The Last of Us was easily the equal of Walking Dead, not something I say lightly. But when you add in the gameplay and the quality of the graphics and amazing sound and music in TLOU, I found myself absolutely invested in that universe and genuinely scared for Ellie at points in that story.

I only wish I could erase my memory and play both Walking Dead and TLOU for the 1st time again, both epic games!

Great question too by the way OP

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nanako was flat out retarded

You're right. This thread is totally fucked :P

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yorda. Always Yorda.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FourWude

Ken Amada from Persona 3.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Amy.

lol j/k

Since I'm still enveloped The Last of Us hype, I want to say Ellie, but I dunno... Clementine actually got me to cry for starters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Making me choose between Clementine and Nanako, what kind of a monster are you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus said:

My thoughts exactly.

I'll go with the one that made me cry: Nanako. Yes, I cried at the end of Persona 4. I was torn up and out for blood... and crying like a baby...

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irvandus said:

My thoughts exactly.

I'll go with the one that made me cry: Nanako. Yes, I cried at the end of Persona 4. I was torn up and out for blood... and crying like a baby...

There is only one place for a little girl in my heart and that is Nanoko. Clementine comes real close for me but come on. She doesn't sing along with the Junes tune.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By afabs515

Neglectful father + "Every day is great at your Junes!" = immediate emotional attachment

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tiny Tina. Fuck yeah.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have said Clementine from The Walking Dead. I actually felt terrible when I did something that upset her. Plus, THAT ENDING...

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By sins_of_mosin

As in movies, I think having to protect a kid really kills the action and fun. Thats why I hope in that World War Z film, his family gets killed really quick.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played two of those games, so Clementine gets a slight victory over Nanako. Clementine was the only reason I finished the Walking Dead, while Nanako only really made me sad because she didn't welcome me home when she got kidnapped.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dom from Gears Of War

MAARIIIIAAAAAAA

Loading Video...

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By WalkerTR77

For anyone who didn't vote Nanako, please think back and remember the first time you came home and she wasn't there. No "Big Bro!", no cheery music, just an empty house and that sombre piano score. Now please rethink your choice, Clementine was a just a blank slate of a character.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigjeffrey

@fourwude said:

Ken Amada from Persona 3.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK That Kid.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Tarsier

guys is this really a problem with the video game industry? little girl sidekicks who you are meant to care for? really?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

guys is this really a problem with the video game industry? little girl sidekicks who you are meant to care for? really?

no one said it was a problem. I only said it's a story trope that's starting to get old.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Clem, because she acted how I expected a little girl to act.

Ellie's interesting when she's acting her age, but I thought her "tough girl" attitude was irritating, even if it did make sense considering the situation she was in.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're gonna make me chose between Clem and Nanako ? You monster.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Big bro...

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to pick Nanako because she's too bloody adorable and I felt bad every time she was sad.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

Er.....Elizabeth isn't a little girl but I guess her because I really liked Bioshock Infinite?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlie bitch

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I don't know why Elizabeth is an option, but Nanako, definitely. She can actually die in Persona 4's bad ending. Clem is just The Walking Dead's invincible child.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dom from Gears Of War

This actually made me laugh. Good work.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

I don't know why Elizabeth is an option, but Nanako, definitely. She can actually die in Persona 4's bad ending. Clem is just The Walking Dead's invincible child.

I never knew that. :[

To youtube i go

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

NANAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Chou Chou count? I've only played a couple of hours of Mugen Souls but I'd probably pick her on the basis of being a protagonist and the main character.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

One of these. Don't make me choose.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hollitz

Elizabeth is an adult woman who could tear worlds apart.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Er.....Elizabeth isn't a little girl but I guess her because I really liked Bioshock Infinite?

@hollitz said:

Elizabeth is an adult woman who could tear worlds apart.

I didn't mean her as a literal little girl per se but a "little girl" character. She is curious about the world, and the player/main character becomes attached to her as the story unfolds (and possibly matures as she accompanies the main character in the adventure they go on...)

Blame Giantbomb that I can't edit my post if it's a poll.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every day's great at your Junes!!

Nanako.

But to break it down further, The Walking Dead never grabbed me and I definitely had the feeling that both Ellie and Elizabeth could handle themselves (especially by the end of those games).

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ashley from Resident Evil 4 was probably the first... but she was pretty annoying.

Ellie was great because she was actually useful and even though you felt protective, you also knew that she was competent enough to look after herself.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@lovespuds said:

As much as I enjoyed the story in Walking Dead....and this is going to make me sound very shallow.....the art style never allowed me to lose myself in the universe in the same was as I did in The Last of Us.

I feel the the story in The Last of Us was easily the equal of Walking Dead, not something I say lightly. But when you add in the gameplay and the quality of the graphics and amazing sound and music in TLOU, I found myself absolutely invested in that universe and genuinely scared for Ellie at points in that story.

I only wish I could erase my memory and play both Walking Dead and TLOU for the 1st time again, both epic games!

Great question too by the way OP

I kind of understand what you mean. The story in the Walking Dead is phenomenal, but in terms of presentation there is certainly something to be desired, especially compared to a game The Last of Us. It isn't the art style that bothers me, but the abundance of canned animations really stands out compared to all the mocap in bigger budget games. I really hope the massive success of the TWD allows them to improve those aspects of the game in the second season.

As for the question, I don't really consider Ellie or Elizabeth "little girls". They are both teenagers; one pretty much an adult and the other drops more "motherfuckers" than just about any video game character I can think of off the top of my head. The little nickpick about the wording of the questions aside, I have to go with Ellie, though I can say I did become to attached to all the characters listed in the poll, some of the best in games.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I'm surprised Dom gets a mention in this thread before Big Bo!

Ugh, the final stages of my Binary Domain playthrough were so stressful because of him! First, I almost lose him to that Cerberus creature, he then thanks me by seemingly going turncoat for moment before going all like "J/K, instead I'm gonna sacrifice myself because I'm suddenly cool with yo gurl that we were reluctant about being cool with for the last hour" and this emoticon is basically my reaction to all of this: (;´Д`)ノ "Wwwwhhhhhyyyyyyy?!"

By the way: I know there's an ending where he lives but I'm super cool with my playthrough getting me the aforementioned ending.

In all seriousness, though. In spite of how much I loved Ellie in The Last of Us, how I think Nanako is one of the most endearing characters in a JRPG, and how I really appreciated Elizabeth's character and role in the scheme of BioShock Infinite; I still think Clementine will win this for me just because she's more forcibly thrust into a messed up world (Ellie still has Joel, but who does Clementine have now?) Thus I'd say I "care" more about her relative to this poll, SHE NEEDS THE CARE MOST!

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By shinjin977

If nanako don't win you guys are monsters.