Your XBL account gets banned = no XBone games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

No funny business or altered pictures here. This is a direct screen cap. If for whatever reason your account gets banned all those PHYSICAL discs you bought? Useless.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@demoskinos said:

No funny business or altered pictures here. This is a direct screen cap. If for whatever reason your account gets banned all those PHYSICAL discs you bought? Useless.

No Caption Provided

Do not do stuff to get you banned? Seems a bit extreme but I am sure there is a work around or something.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

The MS guys said yesterday that MS support doesn't know any of this stuff for the Xbox One, they only know how to support the 360.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, there's no reason for your account to get banned unless you're doing shit you shouldn't. If it's mistakenly banned I would assume it will get rectified and licenses restored. However, we all know what happens when you "assume".

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

@the_laughing_man: That isn't the point here. I can get banning you from the service of being online but locking out out of the games you own and paid good money for as well is fucked up. I'm all for banning the idiots off of live but even if you do get banned you should still be able to access the games you paid for.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

AHAHAHAHA! This is EXACTLY the same problem as with Origin. They're so fucked.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By musubi

@zombie2011: Right, but seeing as you have to register and licence every XBone game with Microsoft side servers the logic on this one isn't a very far leap.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The MS guys said yesterday that MS support doesn't know any of this stuff for the Xbox One, they only know how to support the 360.

@the_laughing_man: That isn't the point here. I can get banning you from the service of being online but locking out out of the games you own and paid good money for as well is fucked up. I'm all for banning the idiots off of live but even if you do get banned you should still be able to access the games you paid for.

I also wanna ad Zombie is right. The MS guys do not know anything abut X1. They have even told me that a few times.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: There have been enough cases of unwarranted bannings that it is a bit of a concern.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zombie2011: Right, but seeing as you have to register and licence every XBone game with Microsoft side servers the logic on this one isn't a very far leap.

Why don't you stop jumping to conclusions about stuff you know nothing about? We get it the internet hates MS, they suck and PS4 is awesome.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TyCobb

@the_laughing_man: Holy crap. It's like Skynet is real. Who the fuck is manning a corporate twitter account at 9:30PM on a Friday? Wait. . . I am at home drinking by myself. Shit, never mind.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

Why don't you stop jumping to conclusions about stuff you know nothing about? We get it the internet hates MS, they suck and PS4 is awesome.

The fuck are you flipping out about? Settle down.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Isn't this how it already is? Bans on XBL, PSN, Origin, and formerly Steam(changed last year) bar you from your games.

It would be nice if both Microsoft and Sony took a page from Steam's change to allowing access to your single player games following a ban.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I wanna say that for the current Xboxlive. Not the disks.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

I wouldn't be reading too much into what Support has to say about the XBONE. They would be some of the last people getting briefed on how that system is going to work because it doesn't apply to their job for another 5 months.

Also, it's probably not the same person running that Twitter at all times.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By bigjeffrey

@xboxsupport The official spoke people for the unreleased Xbox One.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Shivoa

This is mostly the same as Origin, Steam, iTunes, et al.

Digital licenses mean you have to see what stuff you can squirrel away and use without connecting. The above services I mentioned have some media where, as long as you had a copy already before you got banned, the ban doesn't matter. Of course there is the revocation of access to something that you may never have downloaded (court cases where people have even tried to argue the case that the ability to download your copy was the completion of the contract of sale, as the TOS state for all the above services, and so later blocking access does not make for a nullified sale: none) and in cases of some of the media there is a continued need to access an auth server to access the downloaded media (Origin and Steam DRM, possibly iTunes media outside of the now DRM free mp3s?)

Because 100% of Xbox One requires these regular checks then it does seem likely that a ban will revoke your access to all your games and that includes discs. Origin has certainly had cases of this, so has Steam, and they sometimes get a bit of press. The real question is how good is the support team and what are the policies for getting a ban reversed.

To avoid such questions of ownership and paying money for nothing (also see online games, F2P and what happens when the servers go off and your credits or services paid for in perpetuity vanish with no refund) then disc games on the PS4 or purchasing content with known breakable* DRM is the answer. Another approach would be services that offer a DRM free experience (eg iTunes mp3s, GOG.com) but remember to back-up your content after purchase just in case you lose the ability to download them in the future for some reason.

* Breaking DRM on the copy of media which you have purchased may be an illegal act, depending where you live.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

No Caption Provided

I wanna say that for the current Xboxlive. Not the disks.

The difference between the disc and the digital copy is null and void on XBone since you have to register the game anyways. The single and ONLY difference is the delivery method. All games are installed to the hard drive and all games ping Microsoft servers. If you are locked out of going online and you can't ping the server then what good is the disc? Its not like you can just make a spare account either since again discs are tied to accounts.

I'm not making some huge conspiratorial jump in logic here. The facts are facts all XBone games ping MS servers and have to be online within 24 hours to keep working.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@zeik said:

@tycobb: There have been enough cases of unwarranted bannings that it is a bit of a concern.

Not even that. To lose your games because you cursed someone out? Wow... This is Origin, but worse!

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone had got to reign in that Twitter account. The amount of trouble they have caused with their lack of information is astounding. We are at a point where somebody at Microsoft has to be fired for how bad they fumbled the message.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

i thought our group of duders was above trolly console wars. at least we used to be back in the day. i guess i was wrong. sad day.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

yeah, well, if they get to retain control of the product after the sale is made you should be expecting abuses like this.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clonedzero

I can't imagine that's true, if it is, well thats massively FUCKED.

I own a 360 and been a Live customer for over 5 years now. I let other people play on my account all the time, I'm sure tons of other people let others play on their accounts as well. I'm not going to force my brother to sign out of my account cus he wants to play a few matches of call of duty while im out picking up supplies for a BBQ or something, thats insane. But the idea that something someone else did on my account could make me lose access to all my games is crazy.

Sure you can say "oh if you're worried about it, don't let other people play on your account ever". Well its a god damn video game console. It's supposed to be FUN. I shouldnt have to worry about ridiculous stuff like that.

Though, If you could actually get banned for cussing someone out or even racial slurs half of XBL would be banned. So i dunno. Still a horrible policy if its accurate. Like i have something like 150 bucks worth of games tied to my XBL account as it is with arcade games and a couple games on demand (they were on sale).

It's just another reason to go to Sony. I mean I don't want to be "that guy" but i've been a happy and loyal 360 owner for over half a decade, everything i've heard about microsoft and the XboxOne has me concerned. Everything about the PS4 looks great.

This sorta policy is not unbelievable and its not even unprecedented, EA does the same thing. So i dont think it's trolly console war BS, i think its actually people trying to find stuff out. Though I still question how accurate the Support twitter is.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By SomeDeliCook

So in other words Call of Duty will be a pretty clean community within a week

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still you'd think you own the right to play your own games that you bought? Seems a bit extreme.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By reisz

Good, the amount of garbage I have seen and heard on Xbox live that just gets a pass means you must be doing something really irredeemable to get banned, if that's the case some actual consequences sound like the right answer.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Please re-direct any comments or opinions you have related to this matter over here.