• 64 results
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

OK, I thought what better way to share all of my different ideas for our profile pages than using paint to make a big ol' mockup?
Everything shown in the image is for example purposes and may not all be acurate, i.e - my points are higher than they are in this mockup, those aren't the games I am currently playing, etc.

Now, the image. It's about 2MB so click on it and go and make a sandwich or something if you have slow internets. ^_^

Super Crazy Awesome Mega Delicious Mockup Image!!! (click original size)

Here is a breakdown of what I did:

Profile Banner

I have seen plenty of requests for this, not much to say really, it's how a banner might look on your profile.

No more feed!

I think it's safe to say most of us don't like the feed filling up our profile main page, so poof - it's gone.
On the left there is a new link to a seperate page that could be the new home to the feed, should someone want to check out what you have been upto.

Currently Playing section

Similar in appearance to the list previews we already have further down the page. Just a nice, simple side-scrollable list of the games the user is currently playing so we can have a click through them using the arrows to see what games they are trying to beat.

Thats it for the main section of our profiles, onto the right side:

Seperate point counts

I made a thread about this a while ago that you may have already seen. Before you say "oh god, not this again" hear me out.
  1. We would be able to see exactly how users have contributed to the bomb
  2. If someone gets 1000 points for images, they can skip image moderation, but they still need to submit quality wiki edits to show they can be trusted with that too. That would stop people submitting piles of images to get to 1000 because all they would gain is the ability to submit them faster, but people who solely upload images would be more than happy with that. See? everyone wins!
Like I said in the original thread, if this can't be done that's fine. But if the guys upstairs can make it work, I think it would be a huge improvement.

Tags/Friend Codes/PSN IDs

Most of us want slots for our Xbox 360 gamer tags and so on. All we would need are little fields to upload an image into. I imagine we could have other slots for Steam and others too.
They should be optional so we don't get say, an empty PSN ID box if we don't have one.

Setup

I got this idea from a site called Playfire.
From what I have heard, the guys are going to redo the collection features for the site at some point. This could fit in with that. Just a click-to-enlarge photo of our main setup and a list of the platforms we own and the amount of games we have for each of them. We could then click on the games of the platform we want to look at and be taken to that section of the collection.
This should also be optional as some people don't care about listing their collection online.

So that's pretty much it, tell me what you think of the mockup and the different ideas in it. Also, if you have another idea for our profiles you would like to see added to the mockup, put it down here and if I think it's a good idea I will see what I can do.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shawn

Could you upload that image into your post? That link gives me an incredibly thin image
---
Edit: Thanks!

I really liked it, especially the idea of the flash-based arrows and the ability to scroll over what the user is currently playing. The addition of the Gamertag/PSN ID is a nice touch courtesy of Gamespot

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

It should be fixed now.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That looks really cool, and seems to answer a lot of the wants that people have for their profile pages.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

Profile banner is friggen awesome, specifically because it doesn't take up any more space than what's there already. I think it's still a no on the separate mod points, but I wouldn't mind if they were separate. Currently playing and gamer tags look great.

For people who have reviews, it was suggested before that a "more" button would help. I think that would be great. Also, the ability to cut down our blog posts, if we choose to and having people click "more" for blogs would be cool too.

Awesome mock-up!

Edit: Also, since the feed is gone, maybe have a separate page on our profiles just for forum posts we make?

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Shawn said:
"Could you upload that image into your post? That link gives me an incredibly thin image
---

I really liked it, especially the idea of the flash-based arrows and the ability to scroll over what the user is currently playing. The addition of the Gamertag/PSN ID is a nice touch courtesy of Gamespot
"
You're welcome ^_^
Glad you like it, what do mean courtesy of Gamespot? Have they done it already then?

MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"That looks really cool, and seems to answer a lot of the wants that people have for their profile pages."
Thanks, yeah hopefully it will.

brukaoru said:
"Profile banner is friggen awesome, specifically because it doesn't take up any more space than what's there already. I think it's still a no on the separate mod points, but I wouldn't mind if they were separate. Currently playing and gamer tags look great.

For people who have reviews, it was suggested before that a "more" button would help. I think that would be great. Also, the ability to cut down our blog posts, if we choose to and having people click "more" for blogs would be cool too.

Awesome mock-up!

Edit: Also, since the feed is gone, maybe have a separate page on our profiles just for forum posts we make?"
Yeah the more button is a great idea, having 5 full blogs and however many reviews can get pretty crazy.
The feed isn't entirely gone, it's on a seperate page. Did you read all of my post? :P

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shawn
Newten said:
"Shawn said:
"Could you upload that image into your post? That link gives me an incredibly thin image
---

"
You're welcome ^_^
Glad you like it, what do mean courtesy of Gamespot? Have they done it already then?

Yeah, Gamespot has the little column on the right with the Gamertag space. It's not criticism, I think it's really good (re-statement)
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Oh I know it's not critisism, I just didn't know gamespot had the feature.

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Mattzz10

I think when filled it would be a super long profile page. Also, the wall seems to be in a place really low and you would have to scroll down to see it, just one complain I could see, but other than that, it looks amazing!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Mattzz10 said:
"I think when filled it would be a super long profile page. Also, the wall seems to be in a place really low and you would have to scroll down to see it, just one complain I could see, but other than that, it looks amazing!"
Yeah it does make that side pretty long, but consider this; I only have 2 blog posts and no reviews. If I had 5 of each like lots of people the page would be super long anyway.

And thanks :D
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By brukaoru
Newten said:
Yeah the more button is a great idea, having 5 full blogs and however many reviews can get pretty crazy.
The feed isn't entirely gone, it's on a seperate page. Did you read all of my post? :P

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!
"
Totally missed that. :P Well then, I like the mock up for sure!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_

I like the feed.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

I like it!  I like it a whole hell of a lot!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Jayge said:
"I like the feed."
Do you mean you like the feed at it is? On the profile main page instead of on a page of its own???

Vaxadrin
said:
"I like it!  I like it a whole hell of a lot!"
Thanks!

I hope a moderator or someone drops a comment, I would like to see what the guys who know more about the site and whats going on behind the scenes think about this.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_

I like the feed as it is, really. I would change other things, but I like the feed. Although the ability to view your own feed in its entirety would be good.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

You have skill, nice job. Very slick, wouldn't mind this one bit.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Uh, I scrolled down too far and got distracted.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Jayge said:
"I like the feed as it is, really. I would change other things, but I like the feed. Although the ability to view your own feed in its entirety would be good."
Well lots of people want it on it's own page, I think it just gets in the way on the main page. It's a big thing it needs more space I think.

Vinchenzo said:
"You have skill, nice job. Very slick, wouldn't mind this one bit."

Thanks! Glad you like it.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_

You've had 8 unique posters in this thread. That's not that many.

What would be better is a facebook drag-and-drop style profile, that allows people to drag what they want to display up and around to customize the looks of their pages better. I don't see a seperate point count as absolutely necessary, and it would probably piss off a lot more people then it would please. The space for gamertags and PSN id's could go in the sidebar with your location and join date, but anyone who wants to share that could already put it in their about me. And the "setup" or "currently playing" thing could easily already be done with lists and a profile picture. Basically, there doesn't seem to be any need for the staff to bother with coding a bunch of new things into profiles that can already be synthesized easily already. New features for organization would be fine, so that people could display their Reviews up top, Wiki points in the middle, or feature their blogs as their main display- things like that would be great; but most of what you've suggested sounds rather trivial and pointless.

That, and the ability to customize how large the feed is on your page would be fine. There is no need to go changing up the entire aesthetic though.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Jayge said:
"You've had 8 unique posters in this thread. That's not that many.
That's such a nice thing to say, now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside -_-

Jayge said:
What would be better is a facebook drag-and-drop style profile, that allows people to drag what they want to display up and around to customize the looks of their pages better.
Agreed, although I think there should be some obvious restrictions, such as the profile image and points being fixed where they are.

Jayge said:
I don't see a seperate point count as absolutely necessary, and it would probably piss off a lot more people then it would please.
It's not absolutely necessary, I just threw all my ideas up there. Although I'm not sure why it would piss anyone off.

Jayge said:
The space for gamertags and PSN id's could go in the sidebar with your location and join date, but anyone who wants to share that could already put it in their about me. And the "setup" or "currently playing" thing could easily already be done with lists and a profile picture.
I know we can already show these things in our profiles, but I think they would look better with their own little dedicated sections. Plus users have been requesting a space for their gamertags since day one, so I'm pretty sure that's going to get done regardless.

Jayge said:
Basically, there doesn't seem to be any need for the staff to bother with coding a bunch of new things into profiles that can already be synthesized easily already. New features for organization would be fine, so that people could display their Reviews up top, Wiki points in the middle, or feature their blogs as their main display- things like that would be great; but most of what you've suggested sounds rather trivial and pointless.

That, and the ability to customize how large the feed is on your page would be fine. There is no need to go changing up the entire aesthetic though."
Hey, it's just a mockup, a bit of fun to see what our profiles could look like if a few things were changed around a bit. I doubt any of this, with the possible exception of gamertags and the feed as they are both been suggested by many users.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Wow I thought I would get a few more replies than this...

Are there any features missing from the mockup you would like to see?

Any more comments at all?

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DualReaver

'Newten said:

"Any more comments at all?"
Well I think you're quite narcissistic.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By clubsandwich

that's pretty awesome I must say. I'd love to see banners, I have plenty of them that I made for my profile on GS.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
DualReaver said:
"'Newten said:
Well I think you're quite narcissistic."
If you aren't interested why did you click on my topic?
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DualReaver
Newten said:
"DualReaver said:
"'Newten said:
Well I think you're quite narcissistic."
If you aren't interested why did you click on my topic?"
Because you're that dude who wanted girl help and I was hoping for another chance to lulz at your expense.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Willy105

I like this new design of yours!

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By Willy105

I like this new design of yours!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
clubsandwich said:
"that's pretty awesome I must say. I'd love to see banners, I have plenty of them that I made for my profile on GS."
Cool. I think banners will be just enough to make our profiles look good, we don't want to go down the crazy-ass myspace route...

DualReaver said:
"Because you're that dude who wanted girl help and I was hoping for another chance to lulz at your expense."
Well aren't you lovely? Thanks for bumping my thread and making yourself look like more of an asshole with each post. Keep up the good work!

Willy105 said:
"I like this new design of yours!"
"I like this new design of yours!"
Thanks, though I fail to see the need to say it twice XD It would appear those were posted at the same time, guess it's the site playing silly buggers.
sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sdodd02

that would be amazing.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Discorsi

yea gb needs a a NXE.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DualReaver
Newten said:
DualReaver said:
"Because you're that dude who wanted girl help and I was hoping for another chance to lulz at your expense."
Well aren't you lovely? Thanks for bumping my thread and making yourself look like more of an asshole with each post. Keep up the good work!"
Did you nail her yet? Just wondering.

Edit:

Ohmygosh oops that wasn't you. I'm getting DBZ avatars mixed up.
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Facepalm
Facepalm
Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The top part is nice, where the name goes, and the gamertag part is also cool.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By samcotts

That is awesome. Someone of importance, instead of us ground people, need to take a look at this. It would definitely be a big improvement to the current profile page.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Player1

Very cool. Maybe a tiny bit crowded on the left side, but then again most people WONT have 3 systems, nor upload a picture of there set-up. 

Having a pretty cool set-up I love the idea. But still its a little unneeded. 

great idea with the 3 separate point totals. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b04117c9080d
deactivated-5b04117c9080d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Player1 said:
"Maybe a tiny bit crowded on the left side, but then again most people WONT have 3 systems, "
right
CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
DazbotAthertron said:
"The top part is nice, where the name goes, and the gamertag part is also cool."
Thanks.

samcotts said:
"That is awesome. Someone of importance, instead of us ground people, need to take a look at this. It would definitely be a big improvement to the current profile page."
I sent a PM to MB about it but he didn't get back to me or post here.

Player1 said:
"Very cool. Maybe a tiny bit crowded on the left side, but then again most people WONT have 3 systems, nor upload a picture of there set-up. 
Having a pretty cool set-up I love the idea. But still its a little unneeded. 

great idea with the 3 separate point totals. 
"
The mockup is showing a proflie if it had eveything enabled, like you said not everyone will have all that stuff.
Most things in life are unneeded, that doesn't mean we shouldn't have them ^_^
And thanks, glad you like it.
Julian91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Julian91

looks pretty good and the gamertag bit sounds good aswell, i'd totally want to have one on my page :)

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CaptainScarLeg
Julian91 said:
"looks pretty good and the gamertag bit sounds good aswell, i'd totally want to have one on my page :)"
Thanks Julian, you can put your gamertag in your about me section for now.
coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By coonce

i like this too..... i'm talking w/ dave right now to see what we might be able to work into our next profile design.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AaronBelfast
coonce said:
"i like this too..... i'm talking w/ dave right now to see what we might be able to work into our next profile design."
Nice, very nice!
stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stucket

i love your IDEA!rock on

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By mracoon

It's quite good.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Thanks for all the comments guys! Especially coonce!

I have made a new Xbox GamerCard design to match Giant Bomb's design, I'm a little annoyed that I couldn't get the tag to match (I could use the correct font but there is no bold option so it looked terrible) so I just picked the font that looks the best (the others were kinda wacky).

It's not just a mockup it's a fully working gamercard, it updates as it should.

And here it is in the updated mockup profile: CLICK MEH! (like last time, click Original Size)

What do you guys think?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Emilio

Yes... YES... YES!! DO IT!

Looks great.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Thanks Emilio.

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

The status text on the first card doesn't seem to want to work properly so I might have to remove that.

Here is a second design with Avatar support, I don't have the NXE beta thing so my Avatar is blank but you can get an idea of what it would be like.

Thoughts?

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By MetalGearSunny

this is awesome!

CaptainScarLeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CaptainScarLeg

Haha, thanks Metal Gear Sunny, do you have any more detailed thoughts on the matter? ^_^
I might have another go at cleaning the mockup a bit later.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50  Edited By zyn

Awesome Gamercard design!