nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Edited By nightriff

The moment I was sold on the Bombcast, only took 2 episodes

One year ago I was a podcast addict. I listened to everything I could, sports related. I listened to ridiculous 3 hour podcasts that came out daily and I loved it. I even started listening to a Miami specific sport cast for reason unknown to me know (I live in Idaho and originally from Colorado and hate just about every Miami team out there). But the only thing I didn’t listen to was a video game podcast. I never thought about listening to something about video games and I don’t know why the thought never crossed me.

Around this time I was on IGN (and God dammit do I regret spending so much time there for so long, if I only knew). The community is full of assholes. Chobot was nowhere to be seen it felt like. The “news” stories were stupid and constant. The entire site was just not satisfying to me anymore. I never really cared for Gamespot and didn’t use them for years (little did I know of those who worked there).

July 4, 2011 that changed. I was visiting my sister for the Independence Day and was sick of how much sports talk I had on my iPod. Tony Kornhiser show (2 hours a day), MMAJunkie Radio (2 hours a day), Dan Lebatard Radio Show (2 hours a day) where just some of the shows I tried to listen to each day. I was stupid and was in over my head. I was sports out and needed a change. I was sick of the NFL, NBA, MLB everything but MMA in reality.

With my pallet cleaned of free time for my ears now I did a simple search in iTunes Podcast. “Video Game Podcast.” If I remember the order correctly it was “’Games Dammit’ – 1 Up” and then the “Bombcast.” I downloaded both of them but I was amazed at seeing 2 or 3 hours of podcasts talking about video games. I was looking foreword to the Bombcast the most.

The next day my ride was heading back to Idaho in time to be back at school the next day. I started to listen to “Giant Bombcast 07-05-2011.” I had no idea who these people were. I didn’t know what they were like but I was instantly hooked. The highlight of the episode specifically was Jeff (who at first I didn’t like which changed quickly within a few weeks) questioning Brad about the game Journey. It quickly escalated to harassment and hilarity as it turns into Jeff ask existential questions. I was in the car with several people I didn’t know and was trying not to laugh my ass off. I couldn’t wait till the next episode featuring my favorite moment still to this day from the Bombcast. Ryan is a Narc/Twitter bashing is probably the funniest 20 minutes I have ever heard. After this part I decided to do a google search about the Bombcast and these cast of characters that it had. I didn’t even know Giant Bomb was a website, I just thought it was friends that got together and talked about video games and loved to talk about it, just like me.

I came upon the site and was amazed at what I saw. Videos upon Videos. The first video I watched on the site was “Quick Look: Wipeout: In the Zone.” The concept of a Quick Look was fascinating to me. I never thought that about actually watching people playing a game and seeing/getting a feel of what the game is actually like. Writing a review is an ancient concept to me now. Deciding to purchase a game from reading something written by someone you don’t know what games they like or are into.

One of the best QL’s I’ve ever seen. Few have been as funny as this one

After one video and started watching every video I could. I never have seen anything like this in my life. Everything was funny and informative. I instantly felt regret that I have never come across this site before. Over the next few weeks I eventually created an account but didn’t use the forums. GB doesn’t really add news so I still used IGN but that was more out of habit and stupidity really. But over the next 2 months that changed quickly.

Around the time Deus Ex: Human Revolution was released I wasn’t completely sold on the game. I kept going back and forth on whether to purchase it or wait till it is really cheap. At this time in my life I only, ONLY, purchased games that got a score over 9, critically acclaimed, GotY, all that bullshit. A game lower than 8.75 was just not good enough. That is just stupid to me now. I can’t believe I thought that way for the majority of my life. But that all changed hearing Jeff break down the game. Is it a perfect game? Far from it? Does it have it’s problems? Absolutely, but it is a fantastic game and a game that I enjoyed more than those Blockbuster games released a few months later. I now look back on my video game career and thought about all the possible games I have missed out on because it wasn’t up to my absurdly high standards. I’m surprised I even liked and bought games because of this way of thinking.

I learned about myself that I’m never going to get a perfect gaming experience and if I never leave my shell of only buying Blockbuster/AAA titles, I will miss out on some fantastic experiences. Giant Bomb showed me my way of thinking. Very quickly I attached myself to specific Giant Bomb staff and learned that their taste in games where similar to mine. Games that they enjoy I will most likely enjoy too. Over the past year I have enjoyed more AA titles and games that I have never heard of more than the media pushed games that Gamestop tries to shove down your throat the second you walk into the store. I never even bought an Indie game. If the game is only $15 it can’t be good. I look back on myself and wonder what I really got out of gaming then. Since then I have bought quite a few smaller titles and enjoyed them, again, more than the bigger titles. Examples: It is going to be hard to find a game I enjoyed more than Journey this year. I have never experienced anything quite like Journey and 1 year ago I would have never given it a chance. Darksiders I never thought to play and that game is fucking awesome!!! I never would’ve thought a game would out Zelda Zelda. The list goes on.

Got to thank Patrick for recommending this one, I'm sad I missed this experience when it first came out.
Got to thank Patrick for recommending this one, I'm sad I missed this experience when it first came out.

Thank you Giant Bomb. You taught me that greatness could be found in any video game. You are going to miss every now and again but if you aren’t willing to take a leap of faith you are going to miss out on finding something special. My appreciation for video games has grown 10 fold over the year and showed me a new light on video games and how I can increase my experience with them. Thank you and I will forever follow Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad to wherever their endeavors take them. Thank you.

Favorites:

GB Crew: Vinny, Ryan, and Dave. MORE RPCG GUYS!!! Come on!!!!

Taste in VGs I’m closest too: Patrick (even though I hate his stories and comments, he is very passionate about video games and have only disagreed a few times.)

Favorite Bombcast Episodes: 07-12-2011, Giant Spoiler Snakecast, 10-13-2009

Favorite Quick Looks: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Wipeout: In the Zone, Amy, Once Upon a Monster, Michael Phelps: Push the Limit

Favorite GB Videos: RPCG: Phantasmagoria Parts 1 and 2 (Best 4 hours of my life, worth the yearly subscription in and of itself), Members Only SNES Party Parts 1 -3, Deadly Premonition ER – VJ: Episode 31 and 33

Still Need to watch Person 4 and DP - BR Endurance Runs. Cannot wait till I can watch it all!!!

AGAIN Thank you Giant Bomb, you are the best!!!!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

The moment I was sold on the Bombcast, only took 2 episodes

One year ago I was a podcast addict. I listened to everything I could, sports related. I listened to ridiculous 3 hour podcasts that came out daily and I loved it. I even started listening to a Miami specific sport cast for reason unknown to me know (I live in Idaho and originally from Colorado and hate just about every Miami team out there). But the only thing I didn’t listen to was a video game podcast. I never thought about listening to something about video games and I don’t know why the thought never crossed me.

Around this time I was on IGN (and God dammit do I regret spending so much time there for so long, if I only knew). The community is full of assholes. Chobot was nowhere to be seen it felt like. The “news” stories were stupid and constant. The entire site was just not satisfying to me anymore. I never really cared for Gamespot and didn’t use them for years (little did I know of those who worked there).

July 4, 2011 that changed. I was visiting my sister for the Independence Day and was sick of how much sports talk I had on my iPod. Tony Kornhiser show (2 hours a day), MMAJunkie Radio (2 hours a day), Dan Lebatard Radio Show (2 hours a day) where just some of the shows I tried to listen to each day. I was stupid and was in over my head. I was sports out and needed a change. I was sick of the NFL, NBA, MLB everything but MMA in reality.

With my pallet cleaned of free time for my ears now I did a simple search in iTunes Podcast. “Video Game Podcast.” If I remember the order correctly it was “’Games Dammit’ – 1 Up” and then the “Bombcast.” I downloaded both of them but I was amazed at seeing 2 or 3 hours of podcasts talking about video games. I was looking foreword to the Bombcast the most.

The next day my ride was heading back to Idaho in time to be back at school the next day. I started to listen to “Giant Bombcast 07-05-2011.” I had no idea who these people were. I didn’t know what they were like but I was instantly hooked. The highlight of the episode specifically was Jeff (who at first I didn’t like which changed quickly within a few weeks) questioning Brad about the game Journey. It quickly escalated to harassment and hilarity as it turns into Jeff ask existential questions. I was in the car with several people I didn’t know and was trying not to laugh my ass off. I couldn’t wait till the next episode featuring my favorite moment still to this day from the Bombcast. Ryan is a Narc/Twitter bashing is probably the funniest 20 minutes I have ever heard. After this part I decided to do a google search about the Bombcast and these cast of characters that it had. I didn’t even know Giant Bomb was a website, I just thought it was friends that got together and talked about video games and loved to talk about it, just like me.

I came upon the site and was amazed at what I saw. Videos upon Videos. The first video I watched on the site was “Quick Look: Wipeout: In the Zone.” The concept of a Quick Look was fascinating to me. I never thought that about actually watching people playing a game and seeing/getting a feel of what the game is actually like. Writing a review is an ancient concept to me now. Deciding to purchase a game from reading something written by someone you don’t know what games they like or are into.

One of the best QL’s I’ve ever seen. Few have been as funny as this one

After one video and started watching every video I could. I never have seen anything like this in my life. Everything was funny and informative. I instantly felt regret that I have never come across this site before. Over the next few weeks I eventually created an account but didn’t use the forums. GB doesn’t really add news so I still used IGN but that was more out of habit and stupidity really. But over the next 2 months that changed quickly.

Around the time Deus Ex: Human Revolution was released I wasn’t completely sold on the game. I kept going back and forth on whether to purchase it or wait till it is really cheap. At this time in my life I only, ONLY, purchased games that got a score over 9, critically acclaimed, GotY, all that bullshit. A game lower than 8.75 was just not good enough. That is just stupid to me now. I can’t believe I thought that way for the majority of my life. But that all changed hearing Jeff break down the game. Is it a perfect game? Far from it? Does it have it’s problems? Absolutely, but it is a fantastic game and a game that I enjoyed more than those Blockbuster games released a few months later. I now look back on my video game career and thought about all the possible games I have missed out on because it wasn’t up to my absurdly high standards. I’m surprised I even liked and bought games because of this way of thinking.

I learned about myself that I’m never going to get a perfect gaming experience and if I never leave my shell of only buying Blockbuster/AAA titles, I will miss out on some fantastic experiences. Giant Bomb showed me my way of thinking. Very quickly I attached myself to specific Giant Bomb staff and learned that their taste in games where similar to mine. Games that they enjoy I will most likely enjoy too. Over the past year I have enjoyed more AA titles and games that I have never heard of more than the media pushed games that Gamestop tries to shove down your throat the second you walk into the store. I never even bought an Indie game. If the game is only $15 it can’t be good. I look back on myself and wonder what I really got out of gaming then. Since then I have bought quite a few smaller titles and enjoyed them, again, more than the bigger titles. Examples: It is going to be hard to find a game I enjoyed more than Journey this year. I have never experienced anything quite like Journey and 1 year ago I would have never given it a chance. Darksiders I never thought to play and that game is fucking awesome!!! I never would’ve thought a game would out Zelda Zelda. The list goes on.

Thank you Giant Bomb. You taught me that greatness could be found in any video game. You are going to miss every now and again but if you aren’t willing to take a leap of faith you are going to miss out on finding something special. My appreciation for video games has grown 10 fold over the year and showed me a new light on video games and how I can increase my experience with them. Thank you and I will forever follow Jeff, Ryan, Vinny and Brad to wherever their endeavors take them. Thank you.

Favorites:

GB Crew: Vinny, Ryan, and Dave. MORE RPCG GUYS!!! Come on!!!!

Taste in VGs I’m closest too: Patrick (even though I hate his stories and comments, he is very passionate about video games and have only disagreed a few times.)

Favorite Bombcast Episodes: 07-12-2011, Giant Spoiler Snakecast, 10-13-2009

Favorite Quick Looks: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Wipeout: In the Zone, Amy, Once Upon a Monster, Michael Phelps: Push the Limit

Favorite GB Videos: RPCG: Phantasmagoria Parts 1 and 2 (Best 4 hours of my life, worth the yearly subscription in and of itself), Members Only SNES Party Parts 1 -3, Deadly Premonition ER – VJ: Episode 31 and 33

Still Need to watch Person 4 and DP - BR Endurance Runs. Cannot wait till I can watch it all!!!

AGAIN Thank you Giant Bomb, you are the best!!!!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

I came to GB the same way, via the podcast. Then was hooked forever by the Persona 4 ER and QLs. Congrats on the year and hope you make another 20! :D

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I came here for the Quick Looks. I soon found them far more handy than reviews.

misterfaulkner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By misterfaulkner

Podcast got me started, I felt identically about how the guys click with each other (and with me), and now I'm a paid member.

This was an awesome article. I hope Giantbomb reads it.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ddensel

I've been here since learning about Gerstmanngate sometime in 08, I listened to the first few Arrow Pointing Down podcasts and have listened to Giant Bomb weekly ever since.