Could Hot dog's be considered open faced sandwiches?

• 68 results
Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Obviously not.

And it's "hot dogs", no apostrophe.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By Hunter5024

You've stumbled onto something bigger than you realize sir. I suggest you take your theories and go home.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By Video_Game_King

And it's "hot dogs", no apostrophe.

What are you talking about? He's obviously talking about the gentleman's club "Hot Dog's", which, need I remind you, is not an open-faced sandwich.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refuse to accept the concept of an open-faced sandwich.

So, no.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@leebmx said:

@oldenglishc said:

@stalefishies: @leebmx:

No Caption Provided

So stuffed french toast is a sandwich? You're "bread around blah, blah - fart noise -" theory is bullshit.

Firstly that's french toast not bread. Secondly it has jam on the outside of the bread making it a desert or pudding. Otherwise bread and butter pudding would be a sandwich and we know that isn't the case. Theory back on track - but your querys and questions are welcome. I will be publishing a paper in next months Science Now which will explain in more detail about my theory and the work behind it.

I think sandwiches with toppings can be classified under open sandwiches, although that does assume that anything on top of a piece of bread is an open sandwich.

I think it's a lot more complicated than bread around some shit anyway -- is a Double Down sandwich a sandwich? Is an Oreo cookie a sandwich? If I hold two pieces of bread around me, would I be a sandwich?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@leebmx said:

@oldenglishc said:

@stalefishies: @leebmx:

No Caption Provided

So stuffed french toast is a sandwich? You're "bread around blah, blah - fart noise -" theory is bullshit.

Firstly that's french toast not bread. Secondly it has jam on the outside of the bread making it a desert or pudding. Otherwise bread and butter pudding would be a sandwich and we know that isn't the case. Theory back on track - but your querys and questions are welcome. I will be publishing a paper in next months Science Now which will explain in more detail about my theory and the work behind it.

I think sandwiches with toppings can be classified under open sandwiches, although that does assume that anything on top of a piece of bread is an open sandwich.

I think it's a lot more complicated than bread around some shit anyway -- is a Double Down sandwich a sandwich? Is an Oreo cookie a sandwich? If I hold two pieces of bread around me, would I be a sandwich?

Double down is not a sandwich, it's a chicken dish. An oreo is a sandwich cookie. It's not really a sandwich, it's primarily a cookie with sandwich characteristics. A hot dog is not a sandwich. Unless you wrapped bread around you with the intent of consumption, you are also not a sandwich.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

A hot dog is not a sandwich. Fuck you.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you flip a hot dog in a bun on its side, does it become a sub sandwich?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By audioBusting

@dystopiax: Damn, that was quick.

By the way, I just found out that there is legal precedence regarding the definition of a sandwich in the U.S. court. A burrito is not a sandwich, and a sandwich is required to have two pieces of bread surrounding the filling.

I'm starting to doubt open-faced sandwiches' membership in the sandwich classification. I think a hot dog has to be either a sandwich or an open-faced sandwich, but not both.

edit: changed the link to a better one.

edit again: But then, this guy has a point...

Those are more persuasive points than the dictionary’s definition, and as is often the case, the court got the definition wrong. (Scalia and Garner miss this, too.) A sandwich does not have to have two slices of bread; it can have more than two (a club sandwich) [...]

Richard A. Posner, link
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Vuud

@milkman said:

A hot dog is not a sandwich. Fuck you.

A hot dog by itself is just a sausage. But hotdog on a bun is a sandwich. Meat + bread = sandwich my friend. But a hotdog is NOT open faced because it is flanked by bread. Open faced means one piece of bread with your shit piled on top.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#61  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

.. . I'd like to go to a Weinerschnitzel, stare the girl in the face and say, "I'd like a Chicago style open-faced sandwich, please. Don't skimp on the mustard, gurl.."

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@mattyftm said:

A subway sandwich is still a sandwich, even though they never slice the bread all the way through.

That was...profound. Settled the argument for me!

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By DystopiaX

@dystopiax: Damn, that was quick.

By the way, I just found out that there is legal precedence regarding the definition of a sandwich in the U.S. court. A burrito is not a sandwich, and a sandwich is required to have two pieces of bread surrounding the filling.

I'm starting to doubt open-faced sandwiches' membership in the sandwich classification. I think a hot dog has to be either a sandwich or an open-faced sandwich, but not both.

edit: changed the link to a better one.

edit again: But then, this guy has a point...

Those are more persuasive points than the dictionary’s definition, and as is often the case, the court got the definition wrong. (Scalia and Garner miss this, too.) A sandwich does not have to have two slices of bread; it can have more than two (a club sandwich) [...]

Richard A. Posner, link

I think a hotdog in bun is more like a pita than a sandwich, it's more pocket-like than 2 pieces of bread-like.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think the core argument here is whether "open-faced" sandwiches are really sandwiches at all. I mean, to me, a sandwich is between two or more pieces of bread, and open-faced sandwiches do not fit that requirement, and therefore are a separate classification all together! My point here is, a hot dog may be an open-faced sandwich, but that does not automatically make it a proper sandwich.

fonkymucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And open face hotdog sandwich is when you put the sausage on a slice of bread because you forgot you had no buns.

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hmm, I don't know. There might be too much fold to consider it open-faced. If you pour some gravy over it, I might consider it.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By YoThatLimp

There are a few rules to a sandwich:

-a baked bread component (single, double or multiple slice)

-a meat or dairy (or a veggie substitute)

-it's meant to be eaten with your hands

To be considered a sandwich you must contain 2 of the 3 things.

Discuss.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By TheHT

If you take the makings of a sandwich, put it on ONE slice of bread, and then fold that bread in half, is it a hot dog?

Oh wait, is that what an open faced sandwich is? Did I just essentially rephrase the thread title?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By GreggD
Loading Video...

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YoThatLimp marked this as the best answer

There are a few rules to a sandwich:

-a baked bread component (single, double or multiple slice)

-a meat or dairy (or a veggie substitute)

-it's meant to be eaten with your hands

To be considered a sandwich you must contain 2 of the 3 things.

Discuss.

Assuming that that is true, a meat burrito is a sandwich as it fulfills criteria #2 and #3. It's been legally concluded that a burrito is not a sandwich. Therefore, I don't consider that premise to be true.

I think one of criteria #1 and #3 is necessary, while #2 is not. A sandwich does not have to be savory, but it has to be sandwiched by a bread component or meant to be eaten by hand (or both, of course).