Which Nintendo homeconsoles were primary platforms for you?

• 57 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Which Nintendo homeconsoles were primary platforms for you? (310 votes)

NES 41%
SNES 46%
N64 42%
GameCube 30%
Wii 6%
Wii U 2%
None 19%

Primary platform, as in the one you buy most of your games on - your mainstay in gaming.

There's this discussion going on, about how Nintendo can win back 3rd parties. Obvious answer, by its box becoming the primary platform for the core audience. The box we buy all our games on. Because otherwise, even if the Wii U eventually sells well, it'll be a secondary or tertiary platfrom, for us to play Nintendo's first party games on - which really doesn't help 3rd parties at all.

The only time Nintendo had me in that manner was with the SNES. I guess it just was the most desirable system at the time, with the most capable hardware and the most awesome games, a thing which hasn't been true for a Nintendo homeconsole in forever - at least if it's me who's talking.

So here's me asking, which Nintendo homeconsole systems qualified as your primary platform and why? Does the Wii U have a chance of being this for you? As far as I'm concerened, it's impossible for the Wii U to become my primary platform. It's just not technically capable of it.

• 
MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Once PC primary platform, always PC Primary Platform.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just the SNES.

During the NES era I also played a lot of Atari and Sega, and by the time the N64 came out I'd moved on to the Playstation and PC.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I'd say there was a Nintendo decade for those machines, from 1991-2001, and after that they fell too deep into irrelevance for me to care.

It was in the early 2000's that I started getting better access to computers and, as a result, more interested in PC games.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I didn't buy another console until after Gamecube, I bought a PS2 at some point during that gen.

WiiU might be my primary console because if I don't get a PS4 I'm just gonna build a fucking gaming PC.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

NES, SNES and N64. The generation after that I went with the PS2. Because the PS2 was rad.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. I didn't own a Nintendo home console until the N64 and the Playstation got much more use. Which is a pattern that repeated for every following generation.

The DS was actually the closest to being my primary console over the course of this gen. In terms of pure gaming I used it about as much as my PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

SNES, N64, Gamecube.

Admittedly now I think the PS One is a trillion times better than the 64, but back then all I needed was Pokemon Stadium and Starfox 64.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NES, SNES, and for a little while, the N64. But I soon began seeing that there wasn't much on the 64 and that everything I wanted was on the Playstation. I sold that 64 and jumped ship, and the PS1 became my all time favorite console. I don't think that Nintendo has done anything groundbreaking on consoles since Mario 64. Look at the new Mario game. They are still chasing Mario 64. Same old, same old. These games aren't amazing enough to buy a whole system for when you consider how lacking their systems have been. Nintendo would do best to get out of the console business and make games for other consoles, while also sticking to handhelds. And I think something like this may happen soon enough looking at how poorly the Wii U is doing.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By happenstance

Just the NES for me. I skipped the SNES for the Mega Drive then had all the others but they were no longer my main platform.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My primary platforms in chronological order: NES, Genesis, Playstation, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lived in a SEGA town son. These colours don't bleeeeed.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Pretty sure that when I had a GameCube that was the console I had the most games for. Other than that, on generations of home consoles both before and after that one, my games library was pretty balanced throughout the systems I had, until I got a killer PC build and started buying games on Steam like a mad man.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was all Nintendo all the time up until the Gamecube era, at which point I had a pretty equal spread among all three platforms. This gen, I have hardly anything on the Wii. Whether or not I bother to get a Wii U at all remains to be seen.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I have never owned a Nintendo system, unless you count buying one as a wedding gift.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of feel like I should put down the Wii, seeing as for a stretch of three years it was my only current gen console, but I'm really not sure. In that time I became mildly obsessed with WoW for about a year (before falling out of love with it entirely), and I didn't actually end up finishing any of my Wii games until after I'd gotten my PS3. Not to mention that for the entirety of 2009 I was just wishing for a PS3 (before the slim came out), but knew it wouldn't be happening.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gotta love the SNES. After that I grew up to be a PC-kid.

Avatar image for deactivated-613c903ddf820
deactivated-613c903ddf820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a kid I was the proud owner of a SNES and I played the hell out of those games even when the Playstation was at the hight of its popularity. This also triggered me to buy the Gamecube and I've used it as my main console for the biggest part of that generation of consoles before I got a PS2 on the cheap.

The PS2 exclusives hooked me to such an extent that I basically switched camps and bought a PS3 at launch. I don't regret that choice at all but Sony did test the limit of my patience as for a long time Resistance was the only game I owned on that platform simply because nothing else was worth spending any amount of money on.

Now I'm leaning towards buying a PS4 but I can't rule out getting an Xbone if the line up proves to be more solid than sony's.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NES was my only primary home console. After that I didn't play games that much until half way through the PS1's lifespan.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES.

Even during the NES era, my go-to platform was the Commodore 64.

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had all the main Nintendo systems barring the GC and the WiiU, but they've never been my primary system (even the SNES - I preferred my Mega Drive)

The closest was probably the N64, but even then I played most of my games on the PC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Other than the Gamecube, all of Nintendo's consoles were my mainstay. NES, SNES, N64 and even the Wii were my go to source for home console gaming at one point in time. The Gamecube was an odd bird because I had a Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox when I purchased it. The Wii was the shit from launch day until I bought an Xbox 360 two years later. The PC played a major roll in my gaming life too I might add.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only the NES because I didn't have anything else. SNES and Genesis were equal for me. Everything else has been second place or lower.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ExplodeMode

NES and SNES. They lost most third parties when PS1 came out and have still not recovered. By the N64 they had become the Nintendo platform rather than the platform.

indianajonze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NES (RYGAR!!!) and the SNES (SuperMarioWorld)
I remember getting the NES for my birthday. I got the console and my older brother Chris got the games. very clever parents.
We got the SNES on Christmas morning. I'll never forget my mind being blown at the echo effect of the sound when Mario went subterranean in a pipe.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gargantuan

None, I've never owned a Nintendo device. My primary platform has always been PC. I own these consoles:

Sega Megadrive

Xbox

Xbox 360

PS3

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've only owned a NES so... then moved to PC.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

None, I've never owned a Nintendo device. My primary platform has always been PC. I own these consoles:

Sega Megadrive

Xbox

Xbox 360

PS3

Played a lot of Nintendo games on the PC, I'm guessing. Otherwise, you missed out on a lot of good shit.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Quarters

NES and SNES. All downhill from there. Even then, I just played the third party stuff primarily. Never have liked first party Nintendo.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PC Master Race represent.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I think it's just the N64, although you could make an argument for the Wii, I guess.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jams

I think it went like this for me:

0. PC - I've always played and always will play on PC's. Started on Commodore 64

1. NES
  2. Genesis with Sega CD towards the end
  3. Playstation (Bought N64 after a while)
  4. Dreamcast (Started getting deeper into PC's around this time)
  5. PS2 (then later an Xbox. Bought a black GCN for $99 way later in its life)
  6. Xbox 360 (PS3 and a Wii which I only ever bought 2 games for)
  7. PC (thinking about getting a PS4 at some point)
Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Assuming "primary" doesn't mean "exclusive," ... I suppose it's been every console up until now.

• I had an NES and a Commodore 64 around the same time, but the NES is what I primarily played.
  • SNES was the only console of its generation I had.
  • Same with 64.
  • GameCube was all I had for awhile, though I eventually came into a PS2 and got a lot for it. Still, I'd consider GameCube my "primary".
  • I got the Wii close to launch. It was probably about halfway through this generation before I got my PS3, and it's mostly what I play lately. So what's the ruling on a half/half?

No plans for NEXT GEN yet. Though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if I ended up with a WiiU first, since it'll end up having stuff I want faster than the PS4 will.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Lokno

Holy crap this poll is painting a stark picture.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SNES, although I did have a Nintendo 64 for a little while before I got a Playstation as well and ended up getting a lot more games for that than I did the 64.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. NES

2. Genesis

3. PS

4. PS2

5. PS3

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Wraxend
@psylah said:

1. NES

2. Genesis

3. PS

4. PS2

5. PS3

Same.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. SNES. Also had a Gensis but SNES got way more play.

2. PS. Got N64 first but the PS was where I spent most of time.

3. PS2. Had all three but I only ever had a handful of games for GC and Xbox.

4. PC. Started with a PS3 got a gaming PC in early '09 haven't looked back since. The PS2 might be my dark horse second this gen. I spent a lot of time going back and playing PS2 games I missed or just love on my BC 60GB PS3. P3 and P4 are on top that list.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

NES, SNES, Game Gear, PC, PS1, PS2, PC, Xbox 360, PC. Kinda how it ran down... Good start with Nintendo but then it fell off hard. My friend had a 64 and my GF had a GameCude but I never had a reason to get one myself. Had the handhelds all my life as well... but was nothing more then what I use my phone games for... just pass time on long trips or if I'm waiting for something.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the way up through the N64, I was a young Nintendo fanboy through and through.

Granted, between myself and all my friends, I probably had access to every major system, and enjoyed a lot of non-Nintendo games-- but if it had ever come down to Console War, I knew where I stood.

By the time I bought the Gamecube, I was starting to look at the Xbox and Halo and wondering if there was a better way.

Then the Wii got announced... and, well, that was pretty much the last nail in my Nintendo fanboy coffin.

I haven't even played the last two Zeldas or the last two Metroids. What the fuck has happened to the world???

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By devilzrule27

Back when I was a wee lad in the early 90's I had a Genesis and an NES and I played the Genesis more. That was the closest I've ever come to having a Nintendo system as my primary console. From there it was mostly Sony and Microsoft consoles. I own all the Nintendo platforms, except the WiiU, but only used them for a select handful of games.

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0. PC, for ever and ever.

1. Genesis

2. Nintendo64

3. PS2

4. Gamecube

Never owned an NES, but played it a a cousin's place. Barely ever played SNES or PS1, at least until much later on using emulators.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just the NES for me. I own an everything else except a Wii U but those consoles have mostly being secondary.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Growing up I had Genesis and PlayStation so I didn't have a Nintendo console until the GameCube. That said I played the crap out of my GBC, GBA and DS.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started with SNES when I was just starting to play games. All the games we owned were my dads or brothers though so I wasn't the one making any purchases. After that it was the N64 and then Gamecube/GBA. Once I got an original Xbox and Playstation 2 Nintendo consoles stopped being the primary ones in the house.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NES, SNES, and N64 for me. Got a PS2 instead of a Gamecube, and a PS3 instead of a Wii. Sorry Nintendo, I jumped ship... :(

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's a weird thing, because while those poll results align with a general presumption of the "golden age" of Nintendo console gaming, I'm betting they also indicate a specific age range for the average Giant Bomb user. Is the youth market still where that company does most of its business? If you conducted this poll in fifteen years would it peak around the Wii?

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

N64 until I got a PS2.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii and Wii U have actually been the main *consoles* for me if measured by number of games bought (in Wii case my roommate owned a PS3 so I only bought Wii games, since I moved out and got a Wii U, I inherited that PS3 and am mostly working through backlog via PS+), but after GameCube I mostly game on PC (2nd place is DS/3DS). So I didn't check those two boxes.