Anime discussion thread.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5501  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I read all of the manga of Shingeki no Kyojin, but I still encounter mangacaps on imageboards that I did not see before. Like these:

Did I miss something? If so, could someone tell what.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@alexandersheen: That was part of the chapter involving Eren's first days of military training, using a busted 3D Maneuver gear and all. He has a conversation with some of the other guys asking for advice on how to use one.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've recently got into reading Screaming Lessons. It's basically Shoujo romance manga meets Tales from the Crypt.

No Caption Provided

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5504  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@turambar: Could you tell me which chapter it was? I've only read 9.5 and 18.5 of the bonus chapters, so at first I thought maybe it was in another one of those.

@bocam: That manga is messed up as fuck. Geez, I need a hug and some comforting...

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: I read up to the latest release of Shingeki no Kyojin and I always felt like I was missing some parts of the manga. I don't think I even read anything of their training days, just straight to graduation and becoming snacks.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5508  Edited By Animasta
jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5509  Edited By jiggajoe14
AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5510  Edited By AlexanderSheen
metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

This happens to be every year, where I just missed a good show. The show I'm talking about is Attack on Titan.

No Caption Provided

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5512  Edited By Petiew

I ended up reading 30 chapters of the Attack on Titan manga. I really wish I hadn't. The anime seemed fairly decent to start, but I'm really disliking the manga. Fights will end up looking cool, but I can't get interested in the story or characters at all.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I watched the 2nd episode of Aku no Hana and that dude is exactly the type of dude I thought he was when I saw he was into all those books. It stinks of "Catcher in the Rye" and Holden Caulfield. The only redeeming part right now is the chick with the red/pink hair.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@golguin said:

I watched the 2nd episode of Aku no Hana and that dude is exactly the type of dude I thought he was when I saw he was into all those books. It stinks of "Catcher in the Rye" and Holden Caulfield. The only redeeming part right now is the chick with the red/pink hair.

He gets better but it takes a while.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: I hesitate to ask what better means in this context

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5516  Edited By Bocam

@animasta: He gets more confidence and then gets raped

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5517  Edited By Wraith1
metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wraith1: I tend to avoid watching anime to live action works. Have there ever been any decent ones?

Caught up with Attack on Titan. Man, I really don't like this series. I've lost count of how many times something completely new has been introduced with a flashback and then resolved that chapter, it seems super lazy. Characters are named and introduced with the sole purpose of killing them off. There're so many I haven't got attached to any, and can barely name a single character that died. Some of the foreshadowing is actually quite good, but the twists they lead up to are so dumb and boring that I don't really care.

I was expecting Valvrave to do something dumb, but not this quick. Uhh, any other shows you guys are watching that are worthwhile? I lost enthusiasm for this season very quickly.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5520  Edited By metalsnakezero

@petiew: The only one I know that is good is the Bunny Drop live action movie. Sticks to the made the series very touching.

As for Attack of the Titan, I really like it. I can under that it a bit weird that the manga keeps flashing back a lot to fill in gaps but the anime looks to be doing things in proper order. As for remembering characters, I guess it all about if you're willing to remember them by their little moments instead of big ones.

Anyway, episode 3 of Devil survivor 2 has a nice little surprise.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5521  Edited By Petiew

@metalsnakezero: I'll admit that part of the reason I don't remember many characters is probably due to me reading the series over a period of 3 days, rather than the 3-4 years people following from the beginning will have done. In general though I feel like a lot the characters were mostly pointless (Maybe other than showing the strength/brutality of the titans) and it really reminded me of Gantz. Possibly interesting characters that get killed off before there's any time to develop them (Quantity over quality), it just seems like a waste.

If the flashbacks are introduced at more appropriate times in the anime that'd be good! The flashback in the most recent chapters for example would have worked way better if they'd actually shown it at around chapter 3 or something. The way the author introduces the flashbacks makes me think he's kind of just making them up as he goes along. (Which is kind of annoying since a recent reveal was foreshadowed since almost the very beginning!)

I might check out the live action Bunny Drop, I could see it working well. Thanks! Devil Survivor has been pretty fun too.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@wraith1: This news intrigues me. It will probably be terrible but funny.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you haven't seen Little Witch Academia yet, Trigger has uploaded it on youtube with subs. Stay awesome Trigger

Loading Video...

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After spending the past 4 years pretty much not reading any manga, reading through and catching up on JoJo and Attack On Titan (which I love, sorry @petiew) has kicked me into gear, so I've decided to dive back into stuff I never finished or never started. So far I've finished Kamen Teacher, which was pretty short and ok, and Kongoh Bancho, which was completely amazing and ridiculous. Started reading 3x3 Eyes, Shaman King, and Assassination Classroom. I've seen the OVAs for 3x3 but don't really remember them, so far I like the manga, it's pretty interesting. I've watched all of the SK anime but only read a bit of the manga. AssClass is goddamn hilarious.

Also I watched 5 eps of Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san and the first of Ben-to. Azazel is hilarious and Ben-to seems like it could be good.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5525  Edited By penguindust

@rubberluffy:

I like Azazel-san, too. I haven't seen any of the new ones but I liked the first season. It reminded me of an Adult Swim show but in a good way back when Adult Swim had some good shows...years ago. Ben-to was pretty good early on but I think it kinda peters out midway through. The finale is enjoyable though. There aren't enough martial arts comedies made these days in anime. I'd like to see more brawlers like this and Kenichi.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I am working my way through the short series Line Offline Saleryman. The animation is Flash-grade and the character design amateurish, but I like the show just the same. Working in an office as I do, I empathize with the main character. I've been spending a lot of time playing games recently so I really haven't been watching much anime as of late. These 4 to 7 minutes shows are just perfect for my limited free time.

On a side topic, why are the AKB girls wearing scouters in this Wreck-it-Ralph video?

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5526  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

I haven't posted here or watched anime in some time. So, what's good right now? Any awesome anime this season?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5527  Edited By Petiew

@rubberluffy: Man, everyone else seems to like it. I guess I'm just a crazy person!

@penguindust: AKB music videos never seem to make much sense to me. Some of those things run for over 10 minutes, and the original video for their Beginner song got banned as it was just the group getting killed inside this weird VR video game thing. Anyone know any anime they've had songs feature in? All I know is 0048 and the 2nd ending to Dragon Ball Kai.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

@wraith1: That's awesome. Can't wait for Trigger's new TV show.

Also, this is the SnK everyone's been talking about huh? Lol.

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I am actually trying to follow some of the spring shows and so far Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet is the best one I've seen. I've really big digging it so far after two episodes. The first two episodes seemed to fly by really fast and always seem to end leaving me wanting to see more. Also just some of the little touches have been great like the way they've introduced the language barrier and how they've handled that has been really cool to see.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manu_fan10ne: try aku no hana if you like good atmosphere (dark atmosphere, obviously)

(also bad quality rotoscoping which adds to it)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@manu_fan10ne: try aku no hana if you like good atmosphere (dark atmosphere, obviously)

(also bad quality rotoscoping which adds to it)

I just saw the third episode and man is that dude the worst. You literally couldn't imagine a weaker protagonist. I don't know how a character like that plays in Japan, but he is the epitome of the word "pussy". The girl with the pink/red hair is pretty much a boss though.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Time to start GTO. So damn pumped.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: He's up there... he's up there.

When I think about the most pathetic protagonist, I think about Ikari Shinji. He single handedly made me almost instantly hate NGE. The only difference between him and Kasuga is that Kasuga has to face his shitty classmates instead of Angels. Both of them are cowardly, have mental issues and physically weak.

By the way, what's up with these people?

First it was the one who has a girl's voice and has braids but otherwise looks like a dude and has sideburns.

And now we have Mrs. Mustache...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I think about the most pathetic protagonist, I think about Ikari Shinji. He single handedly made me almost instantly hate NGE. The only difference between him and Kasuga is that Kasuga has to face his shitty classmates instead of Angels. Both of them are cowardly, have mental issues and physically weak.

First it was the one who has a girl's voice and has braids but otherwise looks like a dude and has sideburns.

I also pretty much hated Shinji. When I was first watching TTGL and Simon started to get all "Shinji" I literally groaned. His reveal a few episodes later was extremely effective because it destroyed the "Shinji Persona" and told you he wasn't going to be that character.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5535  Edited By Turambar

@alexandersheen said:

There's a pretty big difference between a world destroying monstrosity and shitty classmates. Just sayin'.

I appreciate Shinji's character because that's how real people actually act and behave well into early adulthood, and Shinji's just a teenager. He has no wish to be some sort of savior and pilots Evas for a childish and selfish goal that is all too understandable (to please his father) and I like that. His feelings and personality are consistent and it takes a whole lot for it to start changing (Rei number 2).

Edit: also, the manga page that you posted about is from chapter 16, page 16.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5536  Edited By golguin

@turambar said:

@alexandersheen said:

There's a pretty big difference between a world destroying monstrosity and shitty classmates. Just sayin'.

I appreciate Shinji's character because that's how real people actually act and behave well into early adulthood, and Shinji's just a teenager. He has no wish to be some sort of savior and pilots Evas for a childish and selfish goal that is all too understandable (to please his father) and I like that. His feelings and personality are consistent and it takes a whole lot for it to start changing (Rei number 2).

Edit: also, the manga page that you posted about is from chapter 16, page 16.

How "real people act" you say? I know some real people and I can tell you I didn't know any of them to act like a wussy even in their teens. Then again I grew up in an area where showing weakness was not tolerated so I guess I can't talk about teenagers in general.

EDIT: You'd get your ass stomped is what I'm saying.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5537  Edited By Turambar

@golguin said:

How "real people act" you say? I know some real people and I can tell you I didn't know any of them to act like a wussy even in their teens. Then again I grew up in an area where showing weakness was not tolerated so I guess I can't talk about teenagers in general.

Don't confuse the tough guy act people put on in average days with how people behave in the face of actual danger and disaster. Since it just happened, lets look to Boston. How many ran away from the explosion? How many ran towards it? We hold those that do the latter in high esteem because there are far fewer of them, and those that do the former is how in fact people behave in reality.

Your average person is not a brave. Self-preservation outstrips bravado in most of us.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5538  Edited By rubberluffy

3x3 Eyes is pretty great. Gonna watch the OVAs soon-ish. I'm only 30-40 chapters in and it feels like a lot has happened already, but MAL lists it as having 576 chapters? This is gonna take a while.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5539  Edited By golguin

@turambar said:

@golguin said:

Don't confuse the tough guy act people put on in average days with how people behave in the face of actual danger and disaster. Since it just happened, lets look to Boston. How many ran away from the explosion? How many ran towards it? We hold those that do the latter in high esteem because there are far fewer of them, and those that do the former is how in fact people behave in reality.

Your average person is not a brave. Self-preservation outstrips bravado in most of us.

Believe me when I tell you I'm referring to real danger. My area was pretty gang heavy up through high school. I saw a guy stabbed to death in the street right in front of me (15 yards away) in broad daylight when I was about 5 years old. My friend had a guy beaten to death in his front yard at night when he was about 10 years old. I had several friends get jumped in high school. One of them took a knife to school because he was worried he was going to be stabbed. I knew a guy (he was friends with some of my other friends) that got shot in the leg during a drive by at his house. His brother was shot in the stomach. They both survived. I had some other friends run from several parties that broke out in shootings.

Like I said before I can't really speak about teens in general because I don't know how teens lived or acted in areas that didn't have to constantly think about gang activity. I've mentioned this on giant bomb before, but the house next door to me where I lived for 18 years was a favorite hang out for various gang members. That's what I'm used to so I'll reiterate that Shinji and the dude from Aku No Hana are the worst from my perspective.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@manu_fan10ne:

Acura Max, BigHeart711, and I created a Spring 2013 guide. Check out the shows.

For the most popular shows, here's my take after observing things.

• Attack on Titan - If you're into horror and don't mind gore with Titans eating humans, this show would be for you. Its animation is like comic book style, and it's top notch.
  • Flowers of Evil - If you don't mind the animation style, it's a psychological thriller about a girl who blackmails a guy.
  • Devil Survivor: The Animation - If you like Atlus games. I haven't play those games like Persona, but I enjoyed it. It's about a group of kids who answered an app that predicts how they died. They end up fighting this demon invasion later on. Animation is pretty good. I can't say anything else because of spoilers.
  • Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet - If you enjoyed Gen Urobuchi's works on Fate Zero or Madoka Magica, he is the writer of this show. It's a bit slow at first, but from experience, Gen Urobuchi has a surprise for his fans in the story. It's a mech series about Ledo who is stranded on a water planet after a battle with aliens.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew: A quick search on Google turned up AKB doing the second season opener to Deltora Quest. An English dub of that show ran on The HUB channel when it for premiered.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5542  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Got bored today and decided to rewatch a large chunk of Bounen no Xamdou. Goddammit. God-fucking-dammit. I forgot how much I absolutely loved that show. I remember the majority of reviews being mostly "meh" about it, but man, I still freaking love it.

Other than that, while many people here decided to go read Shingeki no Kyoujin, I decided to take the road less traveled and read Aku no Hana. I despise the whole rotoscoping thing even more now because I really like that series. It goes places I would not expect it to go and I will simply leave it at that lol.

Also read the latest chapter of Medaka Box. Man....MAN. Did not see that coming. Speaking of surprises, same thing could be said about the latest chapter of Horimiya, but I don't think anyone reads that here.#sadface.

Psh, that's all I gots to report on. And I guess, just to satisfy my own curiosity, anyone else like to keep a stable of shows around you break out on rare occasions just to take a trip down memory lane? Not even ones you consider your favorite per se, but ones that just inadvertently remind you of everything from other anime you were watching at the time to what you were up to in your personal life when you first came across those series?

Like, Xamdou is a big one for me because it triggers memories of my freshman year in college and just all the batshit insane fun that that was. It also makes me go rewatch Michiko and Hatchin and Macross Frontier. Fuck...looks like I'm off to Amazon!

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@babychoochoo: I guess mine would have to be Orphen, Blue Gender, Mitsudomoe, Tytaina, Shadow Skill there's more, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I haven't been in this form (or any other form for that matter) in a while. However, I'm here now so um hi everyone.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many seem to be reading the Attack on Titan manga now, but for those that are just following the anime, a quick primer on the human military. These details will probably be mentioned somewhat in next week's episode too.

The military forces behind are separated into three groups: The garrison, the scouts, and the military police.

The military police resides in the city behind the third wall, and handle imperial affairs. Since it's the "safest", many who become the soldier aim to join that group. However, only the top 10 ranking soldiers of a class are given the option of joining. It's also notoriously corrupt.

We saw the garrison during the first two episodes, but they are the ones handling defense and maintenance of the walls as well as maintaining basic public order in the more outlying regions. Most soldiers join this group upon graduation.

Lastly are the scouts, a group that go beyond the wall on expeditions in order to fight as well as learn about titans, and the group Eren has talked about joining. Most people see the scouts' work as a waste of resources and lives. The average cost of taking down 1 titan is 30 humans, so the scouts rarely get through an expedition without a whole lot of fatalities, and constantly have a manpower shortage, while rarely coming home with significant gains,.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5545  Edited By Bocam

The scanlations for Attack on Titan are bad. Sometimes they have the opposite of what was actually said. For example

No Caption Provided

The original line: これで私と離れずにするんだと思って安心してる

What it should have been translated to: He's relieved, thinking "With this, I won't have to be separated from her."

離れる means "be separated" or "to leave", while 離れず is one of the negative forms.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

The scanlations for Attack on Titan are bad. Sometimes they have the opposite of what was actually said. For example

No Caption Provided

What it should have been translated to: He's relieved, thinking "With this, I won't have to be separated from her."

I believe the sub for episode 3 said exactly that. She said, "With this, I won't have to be separated from her." The dude actually said something about not being a baby/dependent on her.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5547  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@turambar: If it was only the times when he fights Angels that he shows negative emotions, that would be understandable. But his mental condition is way worse when it comes to being outside battles and living his everyday life. Having a crippling depression, cowardice and questioning your life's worth is not what normal teenagers are like. So in that regard I think they are on the same ground.

And thanks for the manga info. Looks like Mangafox updated its collection and added chapter 15-18.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5548  Edited By metalsnakezero

@golguin said:

@bocam said:

No Caption Provided

I believe the sub for episode 3 said exactly that. She said, "With this, I won't have to be separated from her." The dude actually said something about not being a baby/dependent on her.

Had a feeling something was a bit off with the scanlation. That line was off character with her in the manga. Good to know that the line in the anime is correct.

Also Potato-chan and Goddess

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personal favourite is Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Great art style, and good story.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5550  Edited By Mezmero

Still enjoying Attack on Titan although the character development is my least favorite part of what I've read from the manga. I think I'm resolved to not read anymore pass the first third of the manga and will just end up riding out the rest of the story with the anime. I'm still dreading the impending plot twist that kind of soured me on the book but I can recognize the production values of the show are high so I'll keep watching.

One Piece was sort of meh. Other than that there's a JoJo sized hole in my heart that I'm filling with comic books and 80's cartoons.