Anime or Manga? (Qusetion of the Day: 8-10-10)

• 61 results
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I have no problem with manga but I prefer standard comics ;)

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

I can almost tolerate manga, so it easily wins. Anime makes me want to kill myself.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hadoken101

Anime all the way,  although I do like having the manga so i can go ahead in the story if I want.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By zidane_24

Uhh I might read a manga from time to time online, but I'd rather watch the anime of something, I think.  

Heh, my friends and I always used to call manga "left handed books for left handed people".
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By recroulette

Manga because if I'm going to be staring at a computer screen or TV, I might as well be playing video games.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By astrotriforce
@RecSpec said:
" Manga because if I'm going to be staring at a computer screen or TV, I might as well be playing video games. "
Hahahaha, good point. :P Although you can apply this to anything. I do it to movies. :/ As a result I've only watched like.... one of the 30+ movies I've bought. *sits in corner*
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I rather just watch anime instead of reading manga.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

I prefer anime over manga because manga is too cumbersome to collect and maintain.  Additionally, I don't have the time (or money) for every related hobby, so I've chosen games and anime.  Perhaps one day when everything is available for consumers to download and read on our Ipads (or whatever device is popular) then I'll get back into it and comics in general, but until that happens I'm drawing the line (pun!) at manga.  Besides, I prefer these types of stories to be in color. 

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Cincaid

Neither, so no vote from me. :) 

I don't hate it, I just don't understand it very well and don't think it's for me. I've played some anime-style games (if "Tales of...", "Final Fantasy", and stuff like that counts), and while I enjoy the gameplay I often find myself loathing the over-the-top-style stories and characters.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Daveyo520

I guess Anime cause I don't have to read but manga is cool and just fine.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By adoggz

wait, this is on gianbomb.com. where is the option for jerks?

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By astrotriforce
@adoggz said:
" wait, this is on gianbomb.com. where is the option for jerks? "
There's a new kid in town boy. Get used to it. ;)
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By astrotriforce
@PenguinDust said:
" I prefer anime over manga because manga is too cumbersome to collect and maintain.  Additionally, I don't have the time (or money) for every related hobby, so I've chosen games and anime.  Perhaps one day when everything is available for consumers to download and read on our Ipads (or whatever device is popular) then I'll get back into it and comics in general, but until that happens I'm drawing the line (pun!) at manga.  Besides, I prefer these types of stories to be in color.  "
^^ Totally agree. That actually reminds me of a female friend of mine who was literally running out of space for them. And everytime her mom came in she'd see that the collection had grown and nag her about it (She's Korean :P). Funny stuff.
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hourai

Manga. Much more diversity. Anime is just bleh. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#16  Edited By natetodamax

I've never actually read manga before. I chose anime though.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I prefer anime over manga.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By adoggz
@Hourai said:
" Manga. Much more diversity. "
this.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I prefer anime, but I don't have too much of a problem reading manga.  It's just that, if I have the choice, I'll most likely prefer watching and hearing instead of reading.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Dawglet

Anime because my eyes aren't backwards.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By astrotriforce
@Dawglet said:
" Anime because my eyes aren't backwards. "
Hahahahaa. Indeed
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By astrotriforce
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I prefer anime, but I don't have too much of a problem reading manga.  It's just that, if I have the choice, I'll most likely prefer watching and hearing instead of reading. "
Right I totally agree. I even took that tack with The Lord of the Rings books vs the movies. The books were good but I prefer to see the beautiful scenery and epic battle scenes. The films were just better in that regard IMHO.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Seeing as there is no Franken Fran Anime yet, Manga wins.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By JP_Russell

Manga.  Everything drawn and written in the manga is put there by hand by the author.  Everything you see and interpret went straight from the author's mind to their hand to the image on the paper, their exact expression of what they visualized and thought up.  It's a far more personal and unadulterated conveyance of the fiction.

I enjoy anime for the moments that it manages to give a new and more in-depth perspective on things you read in the manga, or better yet manages to make something that was good in the manga far grander and more amazing than it could ever be within the confines of a bunch of black and white stills with text bubbles.  However, due to budget and content constraints more than anything else, anime also has a tendency to not quite capture the same tone or awe or pacing, or whatever, that made some scene or another so good in the manga.  How often and to what magnitude this happens varies from anime to anime (and studio to studio), but in most cases it's enough that it feels like a bastardized, or at least just not quite as pure, version of the fiction in terms of the quality with which it's presented and conveyed.   

That doesn't necessarily make it bad, though, and the moments that the anime equals or transcends the presentation of the manga make it worthwhile to me.  I just have more reverence for and attachment to the manga, generally speaking. 

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By astrotriforce
@JP_Russell said:
"

Manga.  Everything drawn and written in the manga is put there by hand by the author.  Everything you see and interpret went straight from the author's mind to their hand to the image on the paper, their exact expression of what they visualized and thought up.  It's a far more personal and unadulterated conveyance of the fiction.

I enjoy anime for the moments that it manages to give a new and more in-depth perspective on things you read in the manga, or better yet manages to make something that was good in the manga far grander and more amazing than it could ever be within the confines of a bunch of black and white stills with text bubbles.  However, due to budget and content constraints more than anything else, anime also has a tendency to not quite capture the same tone or awe or pacing, or whatever, that made some scene or another so good in the manga.  How often and to what magnitude this happens varies from anime to anime (and studio to studio), but in most cases it's enough that it feels like a bastardized, or at least just not quite as pure, version of the fiction in terms of the quality with which it's presented and conveyed.   

That doesn't necessarily make it bad, though, and the moments that the anime equals or transcends the presentation of the manga make it worthwhile to me.  I just have more reverence for and attachment to the manga, generally speaking. 

"
HOLY CRAP dude. That is one heck of an argument for manga. I never thought of it that way. You're almost convincing me to go give some manga a shot. lol.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By beargirl1

anime is my pick, but manga is up there. i don't watch or read much of both. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Manga. Pretty much because it usually finishes what it started unlike the anime series they sometimes spawn. E.g. Air Gear, Tenjho Tenge, Kare Kano etc

And manga doesn't have shitty fillers. E.g. Naruto and Bleach

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By astrotriforce
@PrimeSynergy said:
" Manga. Pretty much because it usually finishes what it started unlike the anime series they sometimes spawn. E.g. Air Gear, Tenjho Tenge, Kare Kano etc  And manga doesn't have shitty fillers. E.g. Naruto and Bleach "
Ah very interesting. I've heard much complaining about the filler episodes from those that do watch anime.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@PenguinDust said:
" I prefer anime over manga because manga is too cumbersome to collect and maintain.  Additionally, I don't have the time (or money) for every related hobby, so I've chosen games and anime.  Perhaps one day when everything is available for consumers to download and read on our Ipads (or whatever device is popular) then I'll get back into it and comics in general, but until that happens I'm drawing the line (pun!) at manga.  Besides, I prefer these types of stories to be in color.  "
Yes! This 100%.
rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By rapid

Depends what anime, depends what Manga

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Anime because If I have to read subtitles I might as well get some animation for the fight scenes

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@astrotriforce said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
" Manga. Pretty much because it usually finishes what it started unlike the anime series they sometimes spawn. E.g. Air Gear, Tenjho Tenge, Kare Kano etc  And manga doesn't have shitty fillers. E.g. Naruto and Bleach "
Ah very interesting. I've heard much complaining about the filler episodes from those that do watch anime. "
Yeah, fillers are usually terrible. The only good one I remember is the Bounto Arc in Bleach. The rest of the Bleach fillers I can remember are pretty bad.  I'd tell you to watch a Naruto filler, but I don't hate you lol.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fjordson

Anime. I prefer American comics and graphic novels to manga.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By astrotriforce
@PrimeSynergy said:
" @astrotriforce said:
" @PrimeSynergy said:
Ah very interesting. I've heard much complaining about the filler episodes from those that do watch anime. "
Yeah, fillers are usually terrible. The only good one I remember is the Bounto Arc in Bleach. The rest of the Bleach fillers I can remember are pretty bad.  I'd tell you to watch a Naruto filler, but I don't hate you lol. "
Hahahaha. I'm actually watching Power Rangers Season 3, and some of the Power Ranger filler episodes are pretty bad too. This season hasn't had too many that were too terrible though.
SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SpiralStairs

Anime, because of the voice acting mostly. I don't like making up voices in my mind. It feels odd.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

i love me some anime. But manga i can read in class and shit. so if i have to choose i would say anime but if i could i would choose both.

Hexrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Hexrapper

There was a time when I preferred manga, but as of probably around five months ago I started shifted a lot more heavily into anime. The problem is that I like to purchase my manga, and a lot of the manga that I'm interested in hasn't been localized. On the other hand, virtually all of the anime I'm interested in has been localized, so I wound up buying more anime and less manga as time went on and now it's at the point where I don't purchase manga as often anymore yet I always have a new anime to watch.

I also started following the seasons as their air in Japan which I didn't do at first. So I've just started spending a lot more time on anime that I used to spend on manga.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By astrotriforce
@Hexrapper said:
" There was a time when I preferred manga, but as of probably around five months ago I started shifted a lot more heavily into anime. The problem is that I like to purchase my manga, and a lot of the manga that I'm interested in hasn't been localized. On the other hand, virtually all of the anime I'm interested in has been localized, so I wound up buying more anime and less manga as time went on and now it's at the point where I don't purchase manga as often anymore yet I always have a new anime to watch.  I also started following the seasons as their air in Japan which I didn't do at first. So I've just started spending a lot more time on anime that I used to spend on manga. "
Wow that's very interesting. I think it's sad that there is still untranslated manga that hasn't been localized. At this point you'd think that they would have done it, as manga is pretty widespread in readership. I hardly a know a girl who hasn't read at least one manga at some point. Whereas I can think of quite a few people who've never really read a comic book before....
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By luce

Anime

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#40  Edited By Jazz

I prefer manga...I like to read rather than watch.

dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dunderri

Manga is expensive, especially considering you can finish a book in 2 hours. I just like watching anime, because most of the time I don't have to spend any money.

Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By Bigheart711

I like anime a bit more than manga. I agree with the guy above me here, because where I live, buying a lot of manga volumes in one sitting is much more expensive than a single anime season/series box set.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jasta

I enjoy both but anime requires less effort and I agree that manga is damn expensive. 

IchiroYagiza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By IchiroYagiza

I prefer anime. XD
InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I watch more anime than manga, but I still do enjoy reading manga.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Turambar

I enjoy both equally.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By astrotriforce

Once again I'm surprised there are so many manga fans. But it's great. :) 

I myself am not into Manga or Anime (although it's something I'd like to do I just can't really find the time for it) and even I have owned a few manga books (though they were given to me as presents) and have watched all of Trigun. Which is one of the greatest shows I've ever seen in my life. I've seen it all TWICE. :D

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SilvarusLupus

Both. I like reading manga, but I also like seeing the characters moving while they interact with each other. For instance: Soul Eater. I like the anime, but I love the manga too. The manga is also much longer, but the anime is so good that I can't decide which one is better. 
There are also some series that don't have an anime adaption *cough*PokemonAdventures*cough* that are really good, but don't have one for some reason.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lawrens

Manga, I don't have a lot of time for animes anymore, I find myself less picky when reading manga as I won't have to go through the fillers and nitpicking the animation/everything, I could just use my imagination to fill in the blanks for manga. This has to do with the fact the series I watch were originally mangas, so it's kind of unfair to just say "animes sucks!", there are some OVAs that are original but I just don't have the time to go through them. Evangelion movie was one of the anime that I think wouldn't be the same if it's originally a manga (though I've yet to see the manga incarnation of the ending, I'm not sure if they're there yet)

I enjoy animes for some series thanks to the music and just different art and direction, where the manga equivalent is lacking in comparison (especially some of the 90s animes like Maison Ikkoku and Orange Road). 

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#50  Edited By Tireyo

Anime is pretty much the obvious answer.