• 57 results
spencer_twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By spencer_twin

While waiting for the bombcast, I listen the Sunday Radio Show with Dave Snider and heard him comment about how accents must be fading away.  This got me wondering, are they?  I'm from the Heart of Dixie and I'm proud of my voice.  So here's the question I want to throw to the giantbomb community, "How do yall feel about this?"  Is it getting harder to differentiate regions of the U.S.  by their voice?

spencer_twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spencer_twin

While waiting for the bombcast, I listen the Sunday Radio Show with Dave Snider and heard him comment about how accents must be fading away.  This got me wondering, are they?  I'm from the Heart of Dixie and I'm proud of my voice.  So here's the question I want to throw to the giantbomb community, "How do yall feel about this?"  Is it getting harder to differentiate regions of the U.S.  by their voice?

stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By stringbacon

I don't know about accents, but grammar are dying. Although it seems this is no longer relevant.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By TehFlan

Yeah, to some extent. It comes from television. Also, I think we may have more of a problem with grammar...

Edit: Darn, someone made the joke first.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Tireyo

Heh. I think everyone has an accent. I know that I sure do. = - P Unlike you, I hate my voice.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coaxmetal

By the thread title I assumed you were not a native English speaker.  In general though, a lot of the US does have a relatively uniform accent, radio english, which is one of the most neutral english accents and is usually considered the default.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slaker117

It only makes sense that as technology makes the world a smaller place all aspects of culture get more and more homogeneous.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nemt

I accidentally the whole accents.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Animasta

Are accents dying in America? no

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp
@Tireyo643 said:

" Heh. I think everyone has an accent. I know that I sure do. = - P Unlike you, I hate my voice. "

No not really.

There was already an accent topic. Rhotic English is the base form of all accents.

Did you know that the english didn't get their accents until after the 1800's when grammar schools and etiquette schools decided to teach a different form of speech to separate wealth classes.

Yes the english spoke Rhotic english at one point in time without their classy accents.

Southern accents actually occurred because they had the slaves raise the children and their african dialect tinged english rubbed off on the children.

If you notice singers who are trained formally sing in "American" accents as well.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster
@stringbacon said:
" I don't know about accents, but grammar are dying. "
Followed.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Tireyo
@Doctorchimp said:
" @Tireyo643 said:

" Heh. I think everyone has an accent. I know that I sure do. = - P Unlike you, I hate my voice. "

"Southern accents actually occurred because they had the slaves raise the children and their african dialect tinged english rubbed off on the children.If you notice singers who are trained formally sing in "American" accents as well. "
Yeah, I know about the singing. = - P Didn't know about the southern speech. Guess it rubbed off on me. = - P (Considering that I got a southern accent.)
Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kandycane2029

Nope.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nemt
@Laketown said:
"

Are accents dying in America? no

"

Accents in my America?

It's more likely than you think.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Of course they are, ethnic and racial stereotypes as well as accents are dying off one by one. Now excuse me comrades while i go eat some borscht,drink some vodka and ride a bear. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

I live in Virginia, I don't think I know a single person that speaks with the vanilla America accent. Honestly. There's a certain way most white people talk and a certain way most black people talk.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Of course there are accents. Just by speaking you have one.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm
@stringbacon said:
Oh god, I see what you did. So good. I love you. Perfect.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a slight Boston accent on some words. I tend to not notice it, and since I rarely travel no one has ever commented on it because they pretty much speak worse, if not equally as badly as I do.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By beargirl1
@stringbacon said:
beautiful 
evildeadron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By evildeadron
@stringbacon said:
/thread
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777
@stringbacon said:
Ah sweet irony, we meet yet again!

OT: No. Dialects (not accents) are ever evolving just like language itself. They will always be present as long as there's clusters of the population that speak them and teach them to their children. 
spencer_twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By spencer_twin
@Riboflavin: Born and raised in the great state of Alabama. Just wanted to focus more on the U.S. since its kinda obvious that people who live in different have different accents.@Doctorchimp:  Interesting tidbit here. 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, not really. Americans still have accents.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mshaw006

Are you looking for an answer or just random people's opinions? I don't think anyone here actually knows.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
@Bobby_The_Great said:

" Of course there are accents. Just by speaking you have one. "

Also this. There is no way to speak English or any language devoid of an Accent. Queen's English being an older accent doesn't make it a non-accent. Hollywood's preference for a vanilla American accent doesn't mean that's a non-accent. Languages are constantly evolving, there is no primordial accent. Before Queen's English there was Middle English, before that Germanic, and so on.
spencer_twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spencer_twin
@mshaw006: Mostly random opinions...although if anyone has a straight up answer, by all means lay it out there.  I really just posted it because I'v always thought it was funny when I'd be online and people make fun of my southern vocals.  
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Omega

I am from the Great country of Canada in the Great province of Ontario and I find myself losing whatever Canadian accent I have. I have a couple American friends that I talk to and play online with pretty much every day for a good five years now and I feel that I've lost a lot of what made my accent Canadian. At one time I would say "eh" quite often in conversation, now not so much. Though I still get shit for saying bagel "wrong"

I think that the Internet is the number one cause of losing unique accents. You can blame tv and radio all you want but passively listening isn't as effective as interacting and imitating.  

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Brendan
@stringbacon said:
You are one clever strip of bacon.
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By halberdierv2
@stringbacon said:
well said.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hunkulese
@eviltwin14 said:
" While waiting for the bombcast, I listen the Sunday Radio Show with Dave Snider and heard him comment about how accents must be fading away.  This got me wondering, are they?  I'm from the Heart of Dixie and I'm proud of my voice.  So here's the question I want to throw to the giantbomb community, "How do yall feel about this?"  Is it getting harder to differentiate regions of the U.S.  by their voice? "
Is it really too much to ask that you at least proof read your title?
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By toowalrus

I wish I could fade that accent out of Paula Dean... with my 9-iron.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Rayfield

IMPEACH CHURCHILL!
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead

When I skype people back home, they say I\m picking up a Canadian accent, so even if people who live there can't hear it, people who live away from it can.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Omega said:
" Though I still get shit for saying bagel "wrong" "
How do you say it? Is it "bay-gul" or "bah-gul?" I have actually gotten into arguments about this, and during these debates, I pulled out a dictionary to shut people up. I am not kidding.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Captain_Insano
@stringbacon said:
'Captain_Insano likes this'
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Read some Chomsky. He'll tell you the answer, albeit in a roundabout fashion.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingzetta

Yeah everyone has a Spanish accent now.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Omega
@Video_Game_King: It's kinda hard to nail down but I think its similar to "bah-gul." But I think what they get me on is that I don't emphasize the "a" which makes it sound like I'm saying baggle. So I guess I pronounce it "Bag-gul." 

...It's really hard to explain through text.  
the_gallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_gallo
@Doctorchimp said:
" @Tireyo643 said:

No not really.There was already an accent topic. Rhotic English is the base form of all accents.Did you know that the english didn't get their accents until after the 1800's when grammar schools and etiquette schools decided to teach a different form of speech to separate wealth classes.Yes the english spoke Rhotic english at one point in time without their classy accents.Southern accents actually occurred because they had the slaves raise the children and their african dialect tinged english rubbed off on the children.If you notice singers who are trained formally sing in "American" accents as well. "
That explains why Brad sounds so darn English
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By penguindust

Yes, because of TV and movies.  Television leans toward a standard American accent sometimes called the Nebraskan accent.  In the past, people were only exposed to their regional dialects and that was the norm, but now they are also familiar with a standardized pattern of speech and slowly, the local accents are fading.  There is also a more cross-regional integration to dilute accents thanks to mass transportation.  In other words, people have more options than living and dying within the same 30 mile radius in which they were born.  Moving halfway across the country is not a huge deal anymore.  A Bostonian marries a Texan and you've got two competing accents in one household.  The children will pick up a bit from both plus from TV and their local schools.  

Accents aren't going away quickly, but yes they are homogenizing toward one predominant style of speech.  I live in Florida which has a large number of citizens born and raised in other parts of the country.  Some native Floridian children develop accents, some don't (they sound like standard American).
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scrawnto

The Oklahoman accent is in part influenced by the large German immigrant population that settled there. I grew up in Oklahoma, but I never got the accent, or so my friends here in California say. I can't even imitate it, though I can hear it in my memories.

But then, my parents didn't live in Oklahoma all their lives and didn't have the accent. I was also rather particular about my pronunciation as a point of pride. Also, sometimes it's difficult to tell whether someone has a particular accent or if they just have peculiarities in their speech. I do think the way I say a small set of sounds was influenced by the Oklahoman accent (Much to my chagrin, one word that I definitely say with an accent is "accent"), but someone who isn't familiar with that accent might just think I say certain words oddly. And it wasn't until I went to college that I noticed that my mom has always had a slight mid-western accent. 
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Rockdalf

As a person from Kentucky, I can guarantee you that accents are still well alive in America.  The bad thing is my Appalachian accent gets worse as the night goes on.  Eventually, people online have trouble understanding me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stringbacon said:
I came in to make this joke, and I see it's the second post in the thread.

My work here is done.
wonderhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By wonderhare
@stringbacon said:
Well played, sir, well played.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Wolverine

I'm fine with it. I'm not particularity fond of most local accents. I speak with a regular American accent.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JBird
@stringbacon: genius
Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I'm from the south, but I've lived all over the eastern part of the continent from the eastern Canadian provinces all the way down to Charleston, S.C. Trust me, accents are most definitely not on the way out.

The most difficult for me to understand: Boston townies, who simply cannot pronounce the letter 'R'. Had a cute neighbor while I was staying there who I would always ask for sugar just to hear her say 'shugah?' She was cute.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Rockdalf said:
" As a person from Kentucky, I can guarantee you that accents are still well alive in America.  The bad thing is my Appalachian accent gets worse as the night goes on.  Eventually, people online have trouble understanding me. "
From the hills of East Tennessee, here. Well, Oak Ridge/Knoxville, but a few miles up the road it starts to get really thick. If I go up into Grainger or Union counties, I can't even understand people. It's like they stammer and mutter everything: "yam yurm yarm mar un fur mur mur mur" is all I can understand. All the old farm men just stand around nodding their heads while I scratch mine in confusion.
astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By astonish

Everyone made this assumption when big broadcast media came about, but the truth is accents and dialects are actually increasing especially in urban areas. There is a bunch of academic literature in phonology and linguistics, but I'm too lazy to google it, you can do it yourself :)