Are hoop earrings the new thing for cool kids?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

I've seen a bunch of dudes recently with those black hoops that go in your earlobes. It's usually the same dudes who wear those thick framed glasses and have those faux hawkes / hitler youth looking hair cuts. A lot of them have beards. Is this the next stage of the hipster or is it another group? Is anyone aware of this movement?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are you talking about hoop earrings or gauges? Hoop earrings are a totally different thing. I hope you haven't seen a bunch of guys wearing them. Gauges have been around for awhile.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@aegon said:

have those faux hawkes / hitler youth looking hair cuts

Back the fuck up, because that is a huge logical leap.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aegon

@video_game_king said:

@aegon said:

No I mean they look like the two combined. Don't know what the specific name is. It's like something you'd expect a viking to have only more tidy and shiny.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SomeDeliCook

Who honestly fucking cares if something looks hipster? Growing up I thought this type of mustache was always awesome and I always wanted to grow one

No Caption Provided

But now its too 'hipster' and people just give me constant shit when I start to style it that way. Who cares

People have had gauges/stretched ears for a while, and its ugly and a permament mistake of a fashion statement. However its been around and popular way before 'hipster'

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you talking about hoop earrings or gauges? Hoop earrings are a totally different thing. I hope you haven't seen a bunch of guys wearing them. Gauges have been around for awhile.

Googled gauges and yes those things. I've only recently seen a bunch of people with them.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@aegon:

So I'm guessing you mean something like this:

No Caption Provided

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Brother_PipPop

Gauges have been in vogue for quite some time, and they make your ears stink so bad, the smell is horrible don't ever forget that.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Are you referring to gauges? Yeah, kinda a hipster thing. It was something I was considering doing before it was cool though so, y'know....

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 e30bmw  Online

Yeah, gauges have been around for forever, weird that you're just seeing them now.

And I kind of agree with Patrick's opinion (he's expressed it on his tumblr) on this, hipster is basically a useless word now. It's been overused so much that it doesn't have any real meaning.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: If by that you mean from the temple upwards, then I guess so.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By RonGalaxy

@aegon said:

I've seen a bunch of dudes recently with those black hoops that go in your earlobes. It's usually the same dudes who wear those thick framed glasses and have those faux hawkes / hitler youth looking hair cuts. A lot of them have beards. Is this the next stage of the hipster or is it another group? Is anyone aware of this movement?

nah, those are just metalcore kids. They've existed for awhile. They're into music with lots of double bass and breakdowns.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Spoonman671

@video_game_king said:

@aegon said:

And I don't think it's that huge a leap. A lot of Hitler Youth members had their heads shaved on the sides, leaving hair on the top. The mohawk is a more extreme version of this haircut, and the faux-hawk is somewhere in between. I'm not saying they're actually related in origins (and neither is Aegon), but their aesthetic similarity is not worlds apart.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spoonman671:

I was picturing something akin to Hitler's comb-over.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@aegon said:

Please tell me where these awesome rocks are that one can apparently lay under for extended periods of time.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671

@video_game_king: This style was common, though I don't think it was required.

No Caption Provided

Interestingly enough, if you google "hitler youth haircut" you will get mostly images of modern people sporting this look.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@aegon said:

Please tell me where these awesome rocks are that one can apparently lay under for extended periods of time.

There is no spoon.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

There is no spoon.

I vehemently disagree.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@aegon said:
@humanity said:

@aegon said:

There is no spoon.

Seriously though, gauges (the metal earrings that people shove in their earlobes) as well as thick rimmed glasses, beards, flannel, videogame/meme/anchor tattoos etc..have been a thing for a while and I'm honestly surprised you've only noticed it now which makes me fascinated in finding out where you live that this awful subculture has only penetrated recently.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

Yeah, I think you're referring to gauges, which I hope you are. I mean, I haven't seen many people wear those, but it's pretty nasty with the huge holes in their ears and all. I'm not a huge fan of earrings on men or tatoos in general. Oh and uh, yeah, I don't know about that hair.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@aegon said:
@humanity said:

@aegon said:

There is no spoon.

Seriously though, gauges (the metal earrings that people shove in their earlobes) as well as thick rimmed glasses, beards, flannel, videogame/meme/anchor tattoos etc..have been a thing for a while and I'm honestly surprised you've only noticed it now which makes me fascinated in finding out where you live that this awful subculture has only penetrated recently.

I am currently in Toronto. My facebook feed has recently seen a big jump in these types of people and I've noticed more of them around the internet in general.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Milkman

Gauges are not at all a new thing.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a recent SNL sketch where they made fun of all the displaced 20-something, know-it-all, jerk-faced Blockbuster employees, and they all had gauges.

I thought, "Yep, that sounds about right." People who have gauges look like they should be working at a Blockbuster Video.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

All the cool kids are doing it.
All the cool kids are doing it.

dobschutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One time i made this bully kid who was in one of my HS math classes cry because i made a hullabaloo over how i couldn't sick next to him he smelt so bad cause his gauges. It was pretty cool cause he was a total jerk/bully asshat and i became a minor hero, Even the teacher was laughing his butt off. Apparently most of the class could smell it too, idk why i was the only one who would say something. I texted that teacher in class and asked if i could go to the library and print out info for the jerk on how to clean it, he let me! hehe ahh good times. :)

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ear gauges are this generation's bell bottoms. Except you can take off bell bottoms, those floppy earlobes are for life.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Flappy

@dobschutz: You texted your teacher? During class? What?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The bigger the hoop, the bigger the whore. I didn't read a single post in here, just came in to say that.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@aegon said:

Googled gauges and yes those things. I've only recently seen a bunch of people with them.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but do you live in a fairly rural, non-urban area? Those have been trendy for... hmmm, feels like at least a decade now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Out of curiosity, OP, how old are you? I'm honestly having trouble fathoming a world where these are new concepts to you. That's not a dig at you, it's just a completely baffling concept to me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Recently turned 23. Not sure what could answer your confusion as to how I was unaware of this until now. It's just the way it is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I finally got used to seeing them sometime in high school, but I still think that gauges look fucking disgusting. You're stretching your earlobe out to lengths that it was never meant to be stretched to and then sticking a piece of metal in there? WHY!?

And I even listened to metalcore in high school!

By the way, if they have gauges then it's almost certain that they listen to something like this. Or this, if their tastes are terrible. Or at least that's how it was when I was in high school, they might all listen to Justin Beiber now.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tsutohiro

Why isn't this a service provided by an automated booth in every mall in America?

Add Flobee haircuts and "classic" tattoos... toss in a vending machine that sells thick-rim glasses, skinny jeans and tight flannel shirts, you've got a money making machine.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Gauges make me uncomfortable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

I thought those things were called spacers...

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have nothing against spacers, I don't have them personally but they do look pretty good on some people.

It's when some people get them disgustingly large to the point where looking at them makes you physically ill that bothers me.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is painfully socially/culturally inept.

Jacktrote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My level of fascination and bewilderment by that "fashion statement" has not decreased since I learned it was a thing a year or two ago. What causes a human being to do that to their earlobes? I'm dumbfounded everytime I think about it. Luckily they don't do it where I'm from, like, at all.

Never knew about the stink though, that's hilarious :D Choose to look like a primitive tribesman AND have your ears smell terrible, what a life.

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SleazyWizard

You may have noticed but everyone thinks they're cool but we're all just stupid.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By Nictel

Thought OP meant gauges with hoop earring through them, kind of like this:

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Hoops are back in town. Wow!!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Fuck man, gauges were a thing since 2002.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jesus people, stop calling them gauges. Gauge is a size. I despise the fact that too many people wrongly called them gauges and now is used everywhere. They are plugs!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I think hoops are kind of hot on ladies. I think they would look silly on a guy but whatever.