Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Garfield360UK

Hey all

I have recently bought myself a Playstation 3 and am very impressed with it. However, one area I have not tried (well so far, I have borrowed a couple of films off a friend to try) is Blu Ray. This is in general TV shows and films.

What can you reccomend that is well worth the price of the Blu Ray? I like comedy/action films like Rush Hour, action films like Bourne, James Bond, and things like Truman Show which get you thinking. In terms of TV I like Lost, Ugly Betty, Simpsons, Band of Brothers, and just general stuff like documentaries.

Cheers

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Surely just find a bunch of films you like and buy the BluRay disc... It's just higher visual quality you aren't suddenly going to like stuff you didn't before... If you like Rush Hour and Bourne etc, go out and buy Rush Hour and Bourne...

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

The Bourne series was recently release in a box set. Can't tell you what the quality is like as mine is still in the mail, but I'd imagine that would be a safe bet.

Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Garfield360UK
@The_A_Drain said:
" Surely just find a bunch of films you like and buy the BluRay disc... It's just higher visual quality you aren't suddenly going to like stuff you didn't before... If you like Rush Hour and Bourne etc, go out and buy Rush Hour and Bourne... "
True but as I have seen them I was hoping for films I have not as I don't see many films at the cinema or on TV to be honest.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Hellboy 2, Tropic Thunder, some other ones no doubt.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By pirate_republic

The only blurays I have are quantum of solace and the planet earth boxed set. Both look great.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bruce

I recommend getting NetFlix and renting Blu-Rays from them. 30$ for a movie, regardless of quality, a tad too extreme in my opinion.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidiot

Any of the recent Marvel movies do good on BluRay (Iron Man/Hulk). The Dark Knight also looks great as well as HellBoy and HellBoy 2.
(GO SUPERHEROES!)

Any CG movies look great, Wall-E and the like.

And if you want to make yourself blind, I suggest renting Speed Racer aka: Colors The Movie.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust
Garfield360UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Garfield360UK
@PenguinDust said:
" Dude...similar thread exists on page one of "Off-Topic".  Best bluray movie. "
Ah sorry, I posted this in the general board and it got moved to off topic (which is fair as I had not realized the general board was games/hardware only discussion, but now that makes sense).

My appologies for not looking at this thread first.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kohe321

Planet Earth. It's seriously breathtaking on Blu-Ray.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ninjakiller
@Bruce said:
"I recommend getting NetFlix and renting Blu-Rays from them. 30$ for a movie, regardless of quality, a tad too extreme in my opinion."

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By KamasamaK

$30? Welcome to 2009 and Amazon.com where you can find most Blu-ray movies for around $20 or less. Although I can see how this might differ depending on where you live.

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

Dude, get the Planet Earth box set. It was the first thing I played on my HD tv and it looked fantabulous.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kohe321
@Muttinus_Rump said:
" Dude, get the Planet Earth box set. It was the first thing I played on my HD tv and it looked fantabulous. "
Same, it was the first thing I ever saw on my HD tv as well! It completely blew me away... Going back to anything non-HD now is impossible.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Having owned quite a few bluray and hd dvds id say most movies by bigger studios will look good, as well there is a certain time limit or age that is that you should expect when quality becomes a concern.
The older the movie the more likely its quality will not be up to snuff either from the fact that though we are told different  it really does matter what type of film and camera were used to film the picture since most of these films used with low budget film and cameras will need quite a few clean up passthroughs through digital correction computers...etc

Movies released from 2000 or so on are all pretty much guaranteed to be great quality in HD because they are filmed with more recent film and cameras and even at times true HD cameras don't expect old movies too look amazing compared to more recent movies specially on very old movies because even the bigger studios like to do quick cash ins and do very little in the form of correction and digitization on these films and often do just straight analog rips.
As well Amazon is your friend often the movies will have a review that touches on their quality of transfer...etc as well expect to do work on amazon.com because often movies with dvd and bluray/hd dvd releases the hd dvd reviews and bluray reviews will be buried under dvd reviews so make sure your looking sharp for the notification of what version of the film is being reviewed *sadly amazon doesn't give you an option of organizing by high def reviews.

so as to summarize.
1.Amazon is your friend many films will have reviews for the HD release which will touch on the quality of sound and transfer.
2.Older films are touch and go if the film studio puts quite alot of preparation into the film then it will look great if they don't then it will look like total shit in HD.

P.S: the bourne movies look great on hd dvd and bluray i highly recommend them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sin City is great, V For Vendetta and Planet Earth are all awesome.

tanline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tanline

300, The Dark Knight....on that note, probably any superhero movie.

I also loved the Simpsons movie on blu-ray. even though its just a cartoon, the colours really pop out. it looks fantastic.

And on the comedy side......you've got to get Super Troopers!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By CL60
@Bruce said:
" I recommend getting NetFlix and renting Blu-Rays from them. 30$ for a movie, regardless of quality, a tad too extreme in my opinion. "
Not everybody can, like me, they don't ship to canada.
tanline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tanline
@Bruce said:
" I recommend getting NetFlix and renting Blu-Rays from them. 30$ for a movie, regardless of quality, a tad too extreme in my opinion. "
dude you can get them for cheaper than $30 dollars.........just dont buy from the stores, buy then online. sales are always going on for blu-ray movies
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By skywing
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers