Career change late in life

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By deathstroke75

I'm not saying that i'm old (I'm 35) but I've come to the realization that I just can't do my career for much longer.  I currently am in IT, I'm one of those general IT guys....I've done systems, network, management, site support, etc....but no specialization in any specific area.  I could specialize, but I know I wouldn't be happy in that career....plus I could see a lot of it going away or being farmed out.   

It's one of the things I admire about Jeff G., he got a raw deal and landed on his feet doing what he wanted to do his way.   

Just trying to get a feel for what the effect might have been on you personally, financially, emotionally, etc. for leaving a career...maybe attending a school to train in your new career....and how the new career path has been better or worse. 

Avatar image for walker_after_dark
Walker_after_dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Walker_after_dark

For me, leaving my old career was, emotionally speaking, the best thing I've ever done. I was constantly stressed out and unhappy and walking away has made a huge difference. However, I could not have done it without having a very supportive spouse who has been willing to help me make the change. Financially, it hasn't been great trying to find a new entry-level job in a down economy, especially when all my experience is in something that I'm trying to get away from. Most recruiters tend to look at your old skills and discount anything new. I have heard that it's easier to make the transition if you can use your old skills in a new way or build on your skills (for example, go from IT to programming). I chose to go in a completely different direction and it has been fairly difficult starting at the bottom again. My experience is all in the computer/engineering field and I went back to get a bio degree, so pretty much none of my old experience applies. All that said, though, I don't regret a thing.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deathstroke75
@Walker_after_dark: thanks for the response i really do appreciate the insight.  my career change would be in a different direction as well....been looking to do 3D stuff for a while and have done some, but realize i need to get in with some schooling, build a portfolio up and go from there.  thank you again.
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap

I'm just coming out of university for the first time with a degree in Interactive Games Design, so I've done a lot of 3D already, it's a great field to get into and a lot more broad than people might think. There is a lot of very high quality competion out there though, which is making me a bit nervous. 

Good luck to you though, it's a big step to make such a big career change and takes a lot of courage.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deathstroke75
@Soap: it's a career i've tinkered in as a hobby...and i enjoy the creative aspect of it, i'm sure just as with any career there is a amount of BS that is involved, but the creative part was very nice and refreshing.  thanks for the information.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By lazyturtle

Worked out great for me. Out of high school I became a SCUBA instructor for about 12 years. At first it was really fun, then not so fun, then I hated it (I still like to dive, I just hate dealing with the stupidity of the general public). So I started going to college and got a science degree. Now I work for the government, get paid well, have a great work environment.  

The downside to a switch is finding work. I finished school about 2 years ago. The economy was such that it took me about 9 months to find a job. When I did find a job, there were 45 other applicants to compete against (which made me feel good about being chosen!). The job I did find wasn't exactly what I wanted to do...but its good experience.  

The main thing is to remain focused on your goals. Decide what field you want to work in, research it to find out as much as you can about it, get whatever qualifications you need as quickly as possible and find the dream job.  Good luck.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deathstroke75
@lazyturtle: thank you very much for the information.  kinda the vibe i'm getting from everyone is it's totally worth it, no regrets.  thank you again.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I respect your decision. I can't say I have switched careers, since I'm only 23, but I went into  college knowing what I wanted to do, and graduating college not having a clue. Then working odd jobs, having a clue what I wanted to do, then realizing it wasn't feasible, then got a job I never thought I could or would get and I'm happy. Is this what I want for the rest of my life... no, but it is one step closer to knowing myself. It would be hard to give up the financial security as well as the emotional security of a previous job... I guess my 2 cents is, we all think we know what we want and may go for it, but we get tired of it or want a change and I respect anyone that heads in the direction of doing something that will make them happy, no matter what it is.  Sometimes stability can become stagnant and what is the point when you are not happy?

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@deathstroke75 said:
" I'm not saying that i'm old (I'm 35) but I've come to the realization that I just can't do my career for much longer.  I currently am in IT, I'm one of those general IT guys....I've done systems, network, management, site support, etc....but no specialization in any specific area.  I could specialize, but I know I wouldn't be happy in that career....plus I could see a lot of it going away or being farmed out.    It's one of the things I admire about Jeff G., he got a raw deal and landed on his feet doing what he wanted to do his way.    Just trying to get a feel for what the effect might have been on you personally, financially, emotionally, etc. for leaving a career...maybe attending a school to train in your new career....and how the new career path has been better or worse.  "
well,  I've not long qualified with a Nursing degree last year and I'm currently working as an addiction nurse. Prior to that i was a research scientist in one of the largest research companies int he world. It was a huge choice leaving a steady job, to go back to uni for 3 years and totally change everything. 

For me, I'm in a much better place mentally and I'm certainly making a little bit more money now than then, but I'm not doing what I'm doing for the money, I'm doing what I do because I'm making a difference in people's lives.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By lazyturtle
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By diz

Hi, 

I've had a few careers at 43: I started in IT support, went into technical planning, (firm and staff) got outsourced, started project managing clients, managed web developments, joined an online agency, did some contracting, then finally got fed up and left the industry! 

I started a teaching career with a years "traiining" (working at 75% time and duty of a fully paid teacher) for an utter pittance (comparatively!). I also had to endure one day a week of some of the wooliest, ill-thought out lectures and seminars. I Joined an academically "good" school after that year, then got promoted, but got overwhelmed with awful conditions, mindless repetition, meaningless government, council and other interventions and intiiatives, crazy amounts of time needed to do a decent job, but mainly the culture of indifference, mediocrety, aversion to change, mindless repetition, unionisation and other teachers (but especially head teachers). 

I should also say that I started my IT career at 27, after leaving uni as a "mature student". Before that, I'd had plently of other jobs and a couple of careers too.  The teaching decision was an awful one. I wanted to do a job that seemed more meaningful than delivering websites to suits, but the joys of helping people learn are off-set massively by the realities of the job - at least in the UK - to me.

Right now though, I'm going back to my first love, and the reason I ended up having to become a mature student, rather than doing A levels - playing music. And I'm loving it! So my current advice is: Only ever do what will make you personally happy. You can always slip a bit of freelance IT generalising in your local area if you get stuck, so you'll always have that to fall back on. Good luck in your brave choice. Change is good.
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12  Edited By RJay_64

You have to do what you love doing.  Or else you're just going to get bored and it won't be good for anyone in the company you work for. 

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deathstroke75
@auspiciousqueue: i can tell you one thing....figuring things out for yourself isn't any easier as you get older.  thanks for the kind words, hopefully i can pull the trigger on it...already started doing the research and getting my application and portfolio together.
deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deathstroke75
@lazyturtle: very cool link, thank you.  yep i'm in the US.
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By super_machine

I can't say for leaving as I'm getting settled into my career. I personally enjoy what I do, but I know its one of those jobs can can burn a person out pretty quick.

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By raegunz_

Do whatever you want to do while you still can. If IT isn't making you happy, then by all means find out what will, and go for it. You are inspiring to me, because at 25, I know in the future I will have to make a similar decision. I'm already miserable career-wise, and I'm taking steps to change the path I'm following, but it will take time. 

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By simian

I've been IT for 10+ with the last 8 being on night shifts so every once in awhile I suddenly want a change (work days, move from Systems Administration to Development, etc). I'm then reminded of my crushing debt from making a crap wage and having to relocate many times and that it would take a miracle to get me out of the current field. 

That's me. Company man for life. Just call me Ol' Gill.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deathstroke75
@Phobos said:
" Quit. Go have an adventure. Take 2 pair of pants, a shirt, and move to the horizon. "
best advice i've ever received.   :)
deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deathstroke75
@diz: thank you very much for the input.  nice to hear that the path worked out for you.  the more and more i talk to people and the more i think on it personally...the more i'm just going to have to just do it.  thank you again.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm currently studying on one of the top (if not the top) computer games programming course in the UK, I think I have a pretty good chance of getting into the industry but with the nature of the job my time as a video game programmer seems inherently limited. It's very probable that I'll hit a point in my life where I'll just have to hang up my games programming hat and go program elsewhere. I really hope there are alternative jobs out there for me if and when the time comes.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By carlthenimrod

Just don't become an MMA fighter like Jose Canseco.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Do it! You're not too old at all, now is your chance to change things up before it's too late. I'd recommend trying to keep your job while getting new training, if possible.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By s10129107

I just got my Mech. Engineering degree and have been having a hard time finding work.  I'd stay stick with your current line until you secure something in  whatever other field you choose.  

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By roborobb

I've also considered a path change. I'm 21 and I've mostly studied various forms of Art, currently Graphic Design. I do enjoy Art but I've always enjoyed playing video games & English also, so with the influence of Jeff Gerstmann & the Giantbomb guys I'm starting to reconsider getting into Games Journalism. I'm average at English, though I really enjoy it

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deathstroke75
@Phobos: I dabble in 2d and 3d stuff...i think it would be something i would like to do.  maybe some special effects design, not a natural artist so i couldn't be a high end modeller or animation guy.  but i do pretty good with lighting and stuff.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By csl316
@Walker_after_dark said:
" For me, leaving my old career was, emotionally speaking, the best thing I've ever done. I was constantly stressed out and unhappy and walking away has made a huge difference. However, I could not have done it without having a very supportive spouse who has been willing to help me make the change. Financially, it hasn't been great trying to find a new entry-level job in a down economy, especially when all my experience is in something that I'm trying to get away from. Most recruiters tend to look at your old skills and discount anything new. I have heard that it's easier to make the transition if you can use your old skills in a new way or build on your skills (for example, go from IT to programming). I chose to go in a completely different direction and it has been fairly difficult starting at the bottom again. My experience is all in the computer/engineering field and I went back to get a bio degree, so pretty much none of my old experience applies. All that said, though, I don't regret a thing. "
Good stuff.

I have an MBA and want to go back for Audio Engineering (once I finished school, music started filling up the time that used to be spent on homework).  Seems to be a good idea.
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By csl316
@raegunz_ said:
" Do whatever you want to do while you still can. If IT isn't making you happy, then by all means find out what will, and go for it. You are inspiring to me, because at 25, I know in the future I will have to make a similar decision. I'm already miserable career-wise, and I'm taking steps to change the path I'm following, but it will take time.  "
I'm 24 and in the same boat, but part of it is just the place I'm stuck at.  It kinda sucks looking back on all the money spent on college, but a change in the mid 20's is a helluva lot easier than doing it later.  Seems the more people put this off, the more comfortable they get in their miserable situation.

So kudos for taking steps to address it.  I'm trying to do the same.
deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deathstroke75
@Phobos: i've done a few mechanical poly and nurbs models.  i've got some 2d stuff that is portfolio worthy...but been looking to get back into something with a more creative effort.  the results are...if that is a path that i ultimately choose i know i would need to move, attend a program (Something like http://www.gnomonschool.com/), get the proper training in traditional art, build a proper portfolio and enter that job market at close to 40.