CNN Reporter loses his humanity after Texas school shooting.

• 146 results
Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

Duders, what's sup (yes, that was an ironic twist on the whole sup-thing).

As you might have heard by now, there was shots fired at a school in Texas today. Lone Star College in Houston was the latest victim for this cowardly action. Several people were injured. As any sane human being, this makes me angry.

Yet, I find that my attention is more drawn even more to a reporter over at CNN. The basterds name is Justin Lear, and he is a first class asshole. Why do I find this person to be the scum of the universe? You need look no further.

Thoughts?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

need humanity

+1

(also I think you're being a little harsh, this was a way better situation than sandy hook and people were doing that there too; not to say he was right in doing it but meh)

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By gamefreak9

Um... guy is just doing his job. Also If I hear a gunshot the first thing I do won't be to tweet about it...

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

Journalism is an ugly business

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

Bit of a dick but there are probably a lot of journalists who would do the same.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Snapping a photo is quicker than tweeting. Just sayin'.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta: While it might be true that it is not even near as bad, he is still a dick. Not scum of the universe but still a dick.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

It's shitty.

Reminds me of them trying to interview kids after Sandy Hook. No class.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jay_ray

This isn't new, reporters have to do this to get the story. He's not an asshole, he has a job to do and this is what he has to do. Now if you want to talk about the current state of journalism and why these people have to do this to stay employed then that's something I can get behind.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

@coakroach said:

Journalism is an ugly business

This. They salivate over tragedy. I don't watch the news because its all sensationalism and bullshit.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Legion_

@gamefreak9 said:

Um... guy is just doing his job. Also If I hear a gunshot the first thing I do won't be to tweet about it...

Who knows how someone acts in a crisis? Maybe she was on Twitter when it happened, and her brain reacted that way. He had time to think about his actions. He asked a young girl if she had pictures of the school shooting she was in the middle of. There is no way around it, he's a dick.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta: beat me to it.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mellotronrules

let's have a conversation about twitter and it's propriety in relation to on-going crimes.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

So can somebody sum it up for somebody too lazy to click the link?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Brendan

At the very least, the way he worded it did not conjure up images of an attractive person in my mind.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By RobertOrri

She didn't think to take any pictures, but she bothered to type up a short tweet message, punctuation and all.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

Well that's just uncouth.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it would be hyperbole to say this man has lost his humanity, but yeah, it's pretty shitty to be this insensitive to someone who's just experienced going through potential mortal danger, and the fact that he did this for his job doesn't make it not shitty either.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EuanDewar

@Video_Game_King said:

come on dude, really, like I get that you have a schtick to uphold but christ

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Legion_

@Jay_Ray said:

This isn't new, reporters have to do this to get the story. He's not an asshole, he has a job to do and this is what he has to do. Now if you want to talk about the current state of journalism and why these people have to do this to stay employed then that's something I can get behind.

Remember when Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head? That was truly a dark day for journalism. Major outlets in the US, like Fox and CNN reported that she was dead, even though they had no confirmation. Despicable. All moral goes out the window in search of the best headlines.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

@EuanDewar:

Why support this behavior by upping the link? Or whatever the logic behind that is.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

You can't just say "I can't call out an individual" in a case like this and blame the larger body for it, being journalism here.

Individuals make up the larger body. People need to be called out or it will never change. How will we try to change this larger entity?

I always hate that argument.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EuanDewar

@Video_Game_King: its just an image explaining what he did behind that link

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

Yes, it is his job. He is still a dick for it.

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Soulreaverm

With all the buildup towards something unbelievably awful, seeing the actual thing he did was very underwhelming. A more appropriate statement might have been 'journalist is kind of a callous douchebag'.

Focusing on this guy and his forgettable dickishness in the wake of something actually really terrible happening seems dumb to me.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By KaneRobot

@RobertOrri said:

She didn't think to take any pictures, but she bothered to type up a short tweet message, punctuation and all.

Possibly because there is much less risk in sitting in a closed room, making no noise, typing a sentence on your phone than going out and seeing what all that gosh darned racket is and tryin' to snap a few pics. I'm not sure why she wasn't on the phone with the police either, but between Tweeting and playing secret agent with a camera, the former is the easy pick.

@Video_Game_King said:

Nope.

lasergreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lasergreen

I took two units of Journalism at University before I decided it was not for me. The thing they drum into you is that you're expected to do things that you're not always necessarily going to feel comfortable doing, buts its your job, and unfortunately this revolves entirely around getting the 'story', finding some sort of angle that makes it 'News'. How far you go with that is of course were the ethical debate lies.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AssInAss

It's sad that there are even attention-seeking, copycat criminals.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LikeaSsur

I'm finding more fault with the "Better tweet about this possible life ending event going on" more than someone getting the story about it.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Legion_

@Soulreaverm said:

With all the buildup towards something unbelievably awful, seeing the actual thing he did was very underwhelming. A more appropriate statement might have been 'journalist is kind of a callous douchebag'. Focusing on this guy and his forgettable dickishness in the wake of something actually really terrible happening seems dumb to me.

I disagree. Journalism is moving into a place where it will not benefit anyone, and this is just one example. Whatever happened to taking pride in your work, or just showing the slightest piece of empathy. The two actions combined just shatter my faith in humanity.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By colourful_hippie

@TooWalrus said:

Snapping a photo is quicker than tweeting. Just sayin'.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Legion_

The girl was in a moment of crisis.

The thing is, not everyone handles a crisis well. Your body can shut down, your mind can shut down, you can do stuff that you aren't aware of. She wrote this message in the midst of gunfire. In her ordinary life, suddenly there were people shooting around her. And she later wrote on Twitter that she tweeted that message to prevent other people from going to the school. Pretty damn noble in my book.

Soulreaverm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Soulreaverm

This doesn't make him a monster, it makes him an idiot. All I'm saying.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akyho

He is a news Journalist, this is expected behaviour. Die hard even makes fun of such things....mainly with a punch to the face.

Also Mass Effect and many other films with the solution of a punch to their faces.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By bwmcmaste
@LikeaSsur

I'm finding more fault with the "Better tweet about this possible life ending event going on" more than someone getting the story about it.

This.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By toowalrus

@Legion_ said:

To everyone pointing out what the girl did, I say this:

SHE WAS IN A CRISIS

The thing is, not everyone handles a crisis well. Your body can shut down, your mind can shut down, you can do stuff that you aren't aware of. She wrote this message in the midst of gunfire. In her ordinary life, suddenly there were people shooting around her. And she later wrote on Twitter that she tweeted that message to prevent other people from going to the school. Pretty damn noble in my book.

I've actually been in a school shooting. It was post-columbine so there was a procedure in place, kill the lights, lock the door, and move out of sight from the door window. As long as the danger is behind a locked door, out of site, 'not immediate' etc, a school shooting is an adventure. Obviously the first thing everyone did was whip out their phones and start texting YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT'S HAPPENING RIGHT NOW! (this was before Twitter, though).

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus

@Legion_: I suppose I shouldn't act like I'm defending what the reporter did, he's a piece of shit, absolutely. I'm just saying that if she was really trying to warn people not to come to the school, she would have said something like "DON'T GO NEAR THE FUCKING SCHOOL". The tweet was a status update to her twitter friends- there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By paulwade1984

It seems pretty reasonable to me. The girl was obviously fine. Sending out a nice little "look at me" tweet from her phone. The guy took a chance and went for a story. In this fucked up world we have all created that's what he has to do.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, if I was a news journalist I would do the exact same thing.  But thats why I dont want to be a journalist.  

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm sure he was aware of how he came off, but he had to do his job.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jay_ray

@Legion_: That was a really bad day for journalism, but you know, follow the money.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By JasonR86

It's his job. It is what it is.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Legion_

I am truly shocked by some of the responses here. Some of you actually have me believing in the whole "games desensitize duders"-thing.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fiberpay

Sorry bro that's the nature of journalism or any job really, you do what your paid to do, in his case get information for stories. This girl obviously felt ok enough to tweet about it, taking it to a public forum. So he should feel fine asking her for an interview on a public forum. If you ever watch the new they interview people all the time after a horrific thing, how do you think they go these people to talk on camera? The same way he did, by asking them.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By John1912

Still not worse then the photographer that didnt help the guy who fell in front of the subway train. Claimed he knew he was to weak to help him, so the only thing he could think to do was use the flash on his camera to try and alert the driver of the train. Which of course took some nice photos at the same time. >.>

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By paulwade1984

@Legion_ said:

I am truly shocked by some of the responses here. Some of you actually have me believing in the whole "games desensitize duders"-thing.

I bet even shit smells like bubblegum in your world of sunshine and rainbows. Dude has a job to do. That girl is a story. It's not like she was shot dead and he's desperately trolling her twitter asking for a quote from God.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Jay_Ray said:

Engh... no, I think he is definitely a jerk.

Especially insomuch as he is in a way encouraging her to TRY to get pictures, which is incredibly dangerous. I also don't think CNN was in any way interested in compensating her for those pictures.

The thing to say would be "get to safety"

Incidently, I used to go to that school...

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheHumanDove

I took a journalism course in uni once, and it's a pretty insensitive job. Your job is to find out information, and a lot of times that means discarding the feelings of those you're questioning.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ravenlight

@Animasta said:

need humanity

+1

I feel like this was the best possible response given the thread title.