Did Metallica reallly get worse?

uberpwner93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By uberpwner93

People have always said Metallica went to hell after the Black Album, but honestly, some of the stuff after that is ok. They just changed there style a bit. Now St. Anger was pure crap, but are they really worse than what they were in their prime?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

The only Metallica songs I like (not many) are from their early days, and don't get me started on the tripe that was Death Magnetic. It's definitely a downhill slope.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Metallica were ever good?....*braces for impact!*

But i only ever really liked Master of Puppets by them, mainly because we invented a drinking game around that song. They are a good band i guess but having grown up listening to their music i've grown bored of them.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead
Hamz said:
"Metallica were ever good?"
Good question.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

Yes, yes they did. St. Anger sucked and this new album isn't very good either, in my opinion... They should just stop making any new albums.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Verdugo

I just bought Death Magnetic (and Gears of War for my new 360:P) today.

On the 8th song, and I don't find it to be all that impressive, but it's not half bad either. From here they should most definitely stop making albums though.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

"Worse" is a relative term that relates to subjective enjoyment.  I can't answer the question as to whether the band has become "worse." 

I can tell you that, technically speaking, the band has used less and less complex note structures and rhythms as its career wound on.  Now the band has reached a point where the individual players are recycling iconic riffs from their past, and the band is not trying to electrify its creative mind so much as it is trying to regurgitate once more the staples it used to garner praise and success in the past. 

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Verdugo
Sir_Ragnarok said:
""Worse" is a relative term that relates to subjective enjoyment.  I can't answer the question as to whether the band has become "worse." 

I can tell you that, technically speaking, the band has used less and less complex note structures and rhythms as its career wound on.  Now the band has reached a point where the individual players are recycling iconic riffs from their past, and the band is not trying to electrify its creative mind so much as it is trying to regurgitate once more the staples it used to garner praise and success in the past. "

Finished listening to Death Magnetic, and I'm going to have to agree with this post. Not to say Death Magnetic was that bad (Except for tracks 2, 3 and 8, those were actually quite mediocre), but it was very predictable sounding for the most part.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gizmo

The Day That Never comes is a brilliant song, until the second half, just trashy guitar.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Gizmo said:
"The Day That Never comes is a brilliant song, until the second half, just trashy guitar."
yeah that one and unforgiven
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RetroIce4

One Word. Yes.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#12  Edited By JackiJinx

At this point, how can you tell?

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate

Metallica have sucked since - oooh - god i dont know , conception?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Milkman

Eh, Metallica is pretty lame to begin with.

TRC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TRC

Metallica was decent in the Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets days...

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

They peaked in late 80s & trying to make themselves sound as good as that after nearly 20 years is an impossible task.  A lot of other musicians keep putting out albums, but sadly sometimes they never play any of the new material when they tour. They stick to the old stuff.  Except for bands like Rush, which can still put out decent albums.  Tom Petty put out a new album a couple years ago but when I saw him on tour on Labor Day weekend, he didn't play any of those..too much back catalogue.

Massive success has killed Metallica's creativity. Plain & simple.