• 66 results
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By MikkaQ

The real trick is to wear the clothes and not let the clothes wear you. That is to say when people wear something too far out of their comfort zone, it looks really obvious and like they're "trying too hard". Good fashion just looks natural.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All i can really say is be yourself. You don't need to get a haircut, or get everything brand new, just get clothing that represents who you are. (I'm a guy with long hair btw, so my hair cuts are much different then what most guys have it seems.)

As long as it is clean and not filled with holes its fair game ... and a big fuck you to he/she that thinks having bottoms ups/suits or any other of that awfull style of clothing is a sign of maturity.

And this is all you need to know.....

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All i can really say is be yourself. You don't need to get a haircut, or get everything brand new, just get clothing that represents who you are. (I'm a guy with long hair btw, so my hair cuts are much different then what most guys have it seems.)

As long as it is clean and not filled with holes its fair game ... and a big fuck you to he/she that thinks having bottoms ups/suits or any other of that awfull style of clothing is a sign of maturity.

And this is all you need to know.....

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@mcghee said:

I've had the attitude for many years that since my body wasn't where I wanted it to be (since I was over weight) that I didn't even want to bother with improving my fashion. But recently I've gotten healthier and lost some weight. And even though I still need to knock off about twenty to thirty pounds to be as lean as I really want to be, I feel that I really want to improve the clothes I wear. At best right now, I will wear jeans and a button up shirt.

But I'm looking to improve this. I have some ideas of what I want to do, but here's my problem. My friends dress like complete slackers. Cargo pants and t-shirts are the best they will do. One girl who I have become pretty good friends with will, without fail, wear the same Star Wars shirt every time we go drinking.

I want to improve myself and my standards. I believe this will improve my well-being and confidence even more. But how does one deal with a drastic change in how one presents himself? Not only is there the change, but there is the fact that I would be overdressing my friends. I have already experienced this in a small way just by wearing clean and pressed pants and a shirt with a collar, while others are wearing khakis with holes in them.

Just something I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out there. I don't know. I'm drinking again.

Who cares how your friends look, it's how you feel in your own clothes.

Shop simple, you don't need to wear pressed pants and a collared shirt to look good. A nice new pair of jeans that fit with a plain snugger t-shirt looks great. I'd recommend going to a J.Crew or Banana Republic and just browsing. Nice clothes are expensive, slowly rebuild your wardrobe.

An ex of mine said to me a handful of times that I'd look good in J Crew clothes (I was tall and skinny, put on some weight since then) but it stood out to me.

Also http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice is a great place to ask for help.

Good luck. Changing my appearance helped me in many ways.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By DrFlapjack

@tesla said:

First, know your measurements. Research tailors/alteration places that have good reviews in your area and get to know them. Most places you can go in and just ask for your body measurements like inseam, waist, sleeve, shoulder, etc. Just getting your measurements should be cheap (free sometimes if you go to a mom and pop type place). Knowing these are vital for online shopping, which is where you can get the best quality for good prices many times. Knowing your measurements also allows you to buy clothes that truly fit, which is the most important thing. Fancy clothes still look bad if they're too tight or baggy.

As for what clothes to buy, the best place to start would be with the basics. It sounds obvious, but there are certain staples that are timeless and go with a lot of things and different styles:

1. Dark indigo jeans

2. Khaki and Navy colored chinos (no pleats)

3. Khaki and Navy colored shorts (no cargo)

3. Solid color tshirts and polos (no brands/graphics, you want versatile to build a foundation)

4. White canvas sneakers and brown or black boots of some kind

From there you can use your existing clothes and just build your own style one piece of clothing at a time. A lot of what you wear depends on the climate of where you live. As someone who lives in Florida, I have more linen and seersucker shirts than someone who lives in a colder and less humid climate. Check out various style forums to learn more once you get going, and don't feel like what you read are hard and fast rules. You can break the rules, but you do have to learn them before you are able to do that effectively. Have fun!

Bingo, this guy gets it. One other thing- try not to buy complete outfits at one store. It will be tempting to wear that outfit every time you see it in your closet, but buying things you can mix and match lets you get a lot of mileage out of only a few different items.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramsy: Hmmmm, maybe it's a cultural thing. In Ireland, your friends always take the piss out of you. It's part of our society. We make fun of everything and everybody and people who can't handle it tend to be a little socially excluded. However if someone takes the piss out of you who isn't your friend then your friends flip out because chances are we've all been drinking. That's another important part of our culture :)

You're right about the girl in the Star Wars T.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cramsy said:

@aetheldod said:

addressing me or someone else?

In general .... sorry if I offended you directly

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

BAM

No Caption Provided

Sir, prepare to be swimming in pussy.

Perfect.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcghee said:

I've had the attitude for many years that since my body wasn't where I wanted it to be (since I was over weight) that I didn't even want to bother with improving my fashion. But recently I've gotten healthier and lost some weight. And even though I still need to knock off about twenty to thirty pounds to be as lean as I really want to be, I feel that I really want to improve the clothes I wear. At best right now, I will wear jeans and a button up shirt.

But I'm looking to improve this. I have some ideas of what I want to do, but here's my problem. My friends dress like complete slackers. Cargo pants and t-shirts are the best they will do. One girl who I have become pretty good friends with will, without fail, wear the same Star Wars shirt every time we go drinking.

I want to improve myself and my standards. I believe this will improve my well-being and confidence even more. But how does one deal with a drastic change in how one presents himself? Not only is there the change, but there is the fact that I would be overdressing my friends. I have already experienced this in a small way just by wearing clean and pressed pants and a shirt with a collar, while others are wearing khakis with holes in them.

Just something I've been thinking about and wanted to throw out there. I don't know. I'm drinking again.

Clothes and fashion have an interesting inverse relationship.

Clothes can give a man confidence, which will make the man look good. But, at the same time, a confident man can make clothes look good. That's why celebrities can go out wearing absolute costumes and still look good. They have the charisma and the confidence to make the clothes look good.

As for out-dressing your friends, I would say, "don't be afraid to out-dress your friends."

We live in a society that is all about dressing down and being "comfortable", but as a result, we have an absolute appalling standard of dress. Racing for the bottom is not a thing that someone who wants to enjoy life wants to participate in. Good aesthetics, good food, good health and good life takes work. So ignore the crabs who are looking to pull you back down into the bucket so they feel more comfortable about their lack of effort.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Cosplay as Squall from Final Fantasy 8 every day (the clothes, not the attitude). Blow everyone away with your bold, manly fashion.

Fuck that shit.

Irvine's where it's at.
Irvine's where it's at.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cramsy said:

@aetheldod said:

addressing me or someone else?

In general .... sorry if I offended you directly

Nah not at all!

@arabes said:

@cramsy: Hmmmm, maybe it's a cultural thing. In Ireland, your friends always take the piss out of you. It's part of our society. We make fun of everything and everybody and people who can't handle it tend to be a little socially excluded. However if someone takes the piss out of you who isn't your friend then your friends flip out because chances are we've all been drinking. That's another important part of our culture :)

You're right about the girl in the Star Wars T.

I think it's similar in Australian culture, too. But yeah, I think if someone was genuenly interested in somethig they shouldn't really have the piss taken too badly

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irvine's where it's at.

Maybe if you're into crossdressing.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@ravenlight:

It's a JRPG. That shit's par for the course.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By McGhee

@video_game_king said:

Irvine's where it's at.

Man, fuck those guys. Check out these badass fucking jorts!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Ravenlight
trav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two words: Fedoras, bro.

I'm lying don't wear fedoras. But good for you! That first post in hear sounded about right! Other than the kpop thing. My friend sent me a terrible kpop music video where the guy was wearing half a jacket with one furry shoulder pad.

What.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Whitestripes09

I think since after high school my fashion sense has been on the decline. Now that I'm in college where it seems like most people don't give a flying poo about who you are I just dress more comfortably. Although, I still like to dress up once in awhile when it's not blazing hot.

Looking nice in clothes has more to do with your physical body structure than the actual clothes you are wearing. With that in mind, just wear what you think looks good. Also, for whatever reason when I get a haircut and shaving regularly rather than looking like a hobo with an afro usually makes me feel more confident. Maybe that will help you as well if you need it?

Think of wearing nice fancy brand name clothes like this. It's kind of like having a really nice car. Would you rather have people like you because of the car or because of who you are?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, first of all you CAN dress differently for different people unless you live, work, and play with these friends 24/7/365.
Probably you can dress how you want at work, so improve you image there. Then just slowly change how you dress around your friends. Eventually, they will probably just get it in their heads that 'you do' dress that way.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#69  Edited By monkeyking1969

Well, first of all you CAN dress differently for different people unless you live, work, and play with these friends 24/7/365.
Probably you can dress how you want at work, so improve you image there. Then just slowly change how you dress around your friends. Eventually, they will probably just get it in their heads that 'you do' dress that way.