Do you own an E Reader like the kindle or nook?

• 53 results
DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I just got my kindle 3 yesterday, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm waiting for my lighted case to come in, and I'm protecting this bad boy like no ones business. I'm really enjoying the book selection as well as all of the free books there are to read. Has anyone else bought into the E book craze? If you haven't thought about it you should, because hey it's pretty cool like that.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Yeah, I got one of those Kindle's just a few weeks back when they were released and I really love it.  I rarley have time to read, but I take the thing to work with me and whenever I have a free moment I pull it out.  Much easier than having to carry around books and it has some nice features.

So far I've just been going through some of the free classics that I've never had the chance to read or was just too young to really appreciate.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thebatmobile

No, I prefer regular books.

jackbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jackbag

If I didn't live within walking distance of an amazing library, I would totally get a kindle. 

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By irishjohn

I'm interested in getting one. I prefer the look of the Nook but Amazon's store is a lot better so if I do get one I'll get a wifi Kindle I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-6342b5d558672
deactivated-6342b5d558672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had a Sony PRS-505 for two years. Never used it much though. I sold it at the right time - $285. Two weeks after, Amazon announced the new Kindle for 140 bucks... ;-)

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By hinderk

No, but I'm strongly considering getting one.

jaxjaggywires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By jaxjaggywires

I have an iPad, and it has books on it...does that count?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah I just got mine

AtomicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AtomicEdge

I use a Sony PRS300, the pocket reader, it's great, portable and the battery lasts for ages.  

Much love for my Sony Reader.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My girlfriend owns a Kindle, I just sync to it via my iPhone.  I prefer reading on my iPhone to a Kindle anyway.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By tranquilchaos
@Irishjohn said:
" I'm interested in getting one. I prefer the look of the Nook but Amazon's store is a lot better so if I do get one I'll get a wifi Kindle I think. "
I work at the nook desk of a local Barnes and Noble. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you think makes amazon's store better?
Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jasonofindy

My Kindle should be arriving in today's UPS shipment.  I'm trying to decide between an "always on" bookcover type case or using it naked and storing/transporting it in a full Belkin zippered case.  The former has the advantage of always being somewhat protected, but the latter gives much more protection when I'm not using it. 

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ptc

Kindle owner here.  Use it primarily for newspapers and magazines.  I think I've only read one book on it in the 10 months I've owned it, still prefer hardback books.  But I love the Kindle.  Foreign Affairs: $2/mnth.  NYT for $20/mnth.  Not feeling guilty about papers stacking up when you skip a day or two: priceless.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By irishjohn
@tranquilchaos: Well, there's a few things. For one, Amazon just seems to have more books available online. I also hold a lot more faith in Amazon's commitment to get more titles in e-book format. Secondly, I've had bad experiences with B&N in the past when ordering good old fashioned books, i.e. being charged for several books which never turned up. Finally, I fly to Europe and Asia a lot, and B&N's international support is pathetic compared to Amazon's. The second point is more of a personal thing that is the result of a bad customer service experience and the third point is clearly specific to my situation, being from Europe but living in the US and occasionally working in Asia (not typical for the average American customer!)
Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Okari

Someone I know got a Kindle 3 a few days ago. In the past I've been strongly against E-Readers, mainly because I like the feel of a real book, but after playing with one for a bit, I actually don't want to go back to real books. The text is easier to read than most books I have read, and it's amazing not having to physically turn a page.  I'll pick one up before the end of the year.

I'm not a huge fan of the Nook. Having a color screen is nice, but the lag time between when you click something and it actually registering is ridiculous.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jack_daniels
@DriveupLife:  Yep, I got the kindle three about a month ago. I got it to put e-editions of textbooks on. Do far its been pretty damn amazing. Once you get a pdf formated right its really easy to jump around it. I have my statics book on the kindle and it works great!
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I got an E-Reader for the GBA any one want to trade Ice Climber for Urban Champion ? I also got some sweet levels for Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario 3 I will trade for a EON Ticket for Pokemon Saphire bro.

ElCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ElCount

Really i just use my iphone because i have it with my at all time and any free time i have i can just get it and start reading 

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tranquilchaos
@Irishjohn: Well I can't speak for the customer service or international support, but BN has a load more ebooks than Amazon. People seem to think otherwise for who knows what reason.
TheShaneTrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By TheShaneTrane

I don't own one but I use one at work.

Anyone in for a free personality test?

m0nk3y80y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By m0nk3y80y
@thebatmobile:  I like real books to. I like to have things on my shelves. I feel the same about games, I like having the boxes all lined up.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

No.  I like to feeling of having an actual book in hands.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

No, I want one but they are too much money for the little I read. Besides, I just like the feeling of holding a book in my hands and having the shelf of books along the wall even though I know I will never read them again. Which is rather ironic considering I pretty much only buy my games through Steam now.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#25  Edited By donutfever

iPad with kindle app.

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Tolman

My Droid 2 has all the major ereader softwares on it so i guess that counts. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I have a Kindle 3.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@tranquilchaos said:
" @Irishjohn: Well I can't speak for the customer service or international support, but BN has a load more ebooks than Amazon. People seem to think otherwise for who knows what reason. "
I can see why you would make this assumption. Amazon says they have 670,000+ ebooks for SALE while Barnes and Noble's site says they have millions of ebooks available. See in BN's number they are including books that are free because they were published before 1923 while Amazon's number only includes books that were published after 1923. This means BN is offering no solid number on how many ebooks they currently have for sale which leads me to think they have less.
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lukeweizer

I have the Kindle app for my iTouch and got a bunch of free books. Haven't really used it yet though.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eternitymemory

While I do like having an actual book in my hands, I am strongly interested in getting a Kindle, especially if I will be able to download textbooks. 

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

I have the Kindle app on my android phone. It's not the greatest experience reading on a phone, but eff getting a dedicated device. I'm poor.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By unchained

My in-laws bought me a Kindle DX. I fucking love it. 

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I had the original E-reader thank you very much.

No Caption Provided
God this thing was such a bitch to get the cards to read.
Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sorrowsan

got a kindle and love it :) currently reading the dark tower :)
Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aronman789

No, because most likely if I did, someone would steal it. That's how my town works, this is the reason I don't have one of those fancy touch phones, I have an old cellphone and an old hockey puck ipod from back in 2005.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hosstile17

I bought an original Kindle, the first Christmas they were available. I still use it almost every day and totally enjoy it. I wouldn't go back to books for any amount of money.
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tranquilchaos
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
" @Irishjohn: Well I can't speak for the customer service or international support, but BN has a load more ebooks than Amazon. People seem to think otherwise for who knows what reason. "
I can see why you would make this assumption. Amazon says they have 670,000+ ebooks for SALE while Barnes and Noble's site says they have millions of ebooks available. See in BN's number they are including books that are free because they were published before 1923 while Amazon's number only includes books that were published after 1923. This means BN is offering no solid number on how many ebooks they currently have for sale which leads me to think they have less. "
I don't make assumptions, I work on facts. BN has 1.2 million titles in it's store, for purchase, not public domain. Beyond that there are 956,000 public domain titles to add to that number making a total of 2.1 million or so. Amazon is still set at around 700,000 before factoring in the public domain library. BN also takes books from other ebook retailers as well as from public libraries that have begun to put ebooks out via their own websites. Amazon does not. I don't make guesses, it is my job to know these things.
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By cnlmullen

No, but I really want a Nook.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By YoThatLimp

Kind of into the 3G kindles, does anyone browse the webs on it?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tranquilchaos said:
" @Irishjohn said:
" I'm interested in getting one. I prefer the look of the Nook but Amazon's store is a lot better so if I do get one I'll get a wifi Kindle I think. "
I work at the nook desk of a local Barnes and Noble. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you think makes amazon's store better? "
Fuck yes. Barnes and Noble employees unite! 

I bought a nook at the beginning of the summer. I've used the hell out of it. The nook/Kindle ability to purchase books on the fly is awesome, and the price of the books themselves are such that the device pays for itself when you read as much as I do. 
irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By irishjohn
@tranquilchaos said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
I can see why you would make this assumption. Amazon says they have 670,000+ ebooks for SALE while Barnes and Noble's site says they have millions of ebooks available. See in BN's number they are including books that are free because they were published before 1923 while Amazon's number only includes books that were published after 1923. This means BN is offering no solid number on how many ebooks they currently have for sale which leads me to think they have less. "
I don't make assumptions, I work on facts. BN has 1.2 million titles in it's store, for purchase, not public domain. Beyond that there are 956,000 public domain titles to add to that number making a total of 2.1 million or so. Amazon is still set at around 700,000 before factoring in the public domain library. BN also takes books from other ebook retailers as well as from public libraries that have begun to put ebooks out via their own websites. Amazon does not. I don't make guesses, it is my job to know these things. "
Is it your job to be a superior ass? Come on man, take it easy. How about a link? I don't doubt your facts but I'd like a link as this completely contradicts everything I've heard about e-books in the two stores.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
" @Irishjohn said:
I work at the nook desk of a local Barnes and Noble. Just out of curiosity, what is it that you think makes amazon's store better? "
Fuck yes. Barnes and Noble employees unite!  I bought a nook at the beginning of the summer. I've used the hell out of it. The nook/Kindle ability to purchase books on the fly is awesome, and the price of the books themselves are such that the device pays for itself when you read as much as I do.  "
Have you ever purchased a book on the fly? Why? I just load mine with all the books I could possibly want to read and carry them around. 
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Irishjohn said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @tranquilchaos said:
I don't make assumptions, I work on facts. BN has 1.2 million titles in it's store, for purchase, not public domain. Beyond that there are 956,000 public domain titles to add to that number making a total of 2.1 million or so. Amazon is still set at around 700,000 before factoring in the public domain library. BN also takes books from other ebook retailers as well as from public libraries that have begun to put ebooks out via their own websites. Amazon does not. I don't make guesses, it is my job to know these things. "
Is it your job to be a superior ass? Come on man, take it easy. How about a link? I don't doubt your facts but I'd like a link as this completely contradicts everything I've heard about e-books in the two stores. "
Yeah some proof and little less of a holier-than-thou attitude would be nice.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@GIVEMEREPLAY: It's got a lot to do with me being fickle and frugal. I'll want a certain book, for instance, but I'll never be absolutely sure if I need to buy it, or whatever. And because I tend to have my nook on me at all times, and because I'm out of the house almost all the time (that is, away from the computer), it's astoundingly easy to go ahead and purchase a book after I've finally decided--whether it be in a coffeeshop or on the bus ride home or in class--that I want to own it.  

Short answer: Yes. I buy books on the fly all the time. Nearly exclusively, in fact, because it's a lot easier than buying them and side-loading them. 
tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tranquilchaos

Sorry guys, didn't intend it sound holier than thou. My wording could have been better. 

I use the store devices to check book count daily, but I do not have much of a means of showing that here. You can see our library online anyway. Besides, I'm not trying to sell you something on my off time, just don't like misinformation. Especially when it makes my job harder...  

I don't make commission so I don't tend to lie about these things. If you don't believe me, that's fine, but I felt like I should help straighten out the facts or what have you.

Leonct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Leonct

While I have never used an e reader before, I do like having my physical books. Its always nice to have a bookshelf filled with books you've read on it. I am also too cheep to pay for a device so that I can read e books, whereas I could just buy a book in the first place for a fraction of the price.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By velucyraptor
@m0nk3y80y said:
" @thebatmobile:  I like real books to. I like to have things on my shelves. I feel the same about games, I like having the boxes all lined up. "
This. Also the fact e-readers don't smell like books.
Shadowjester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shadowjester
 I just purchased a Kindle for my father in-law for his birthday. Have yet to see it in action though. 

@velucyraptor:
  They should sell a bottle of "new book smell" along with all of the e-readers for those of us who like the smell of books :)   
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By Sin4profit

i was thinking of scanning all my books and putting them onto my Kindle 3 making it basicly the original iPod for books.
My kindle wish list: wish it had external storage, touch screen, incremental image scrolling (for reading comic pages on it)
Now i have my eye on the Qualcomm Mirasol.