• 72 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

It seems like all my friends and people at school use facebook everyday but I've stopped. I realized it was a waste of my time and it didn't really do anything for me, I don't really care what my friends are doing when I'm not with them. I think facebook will disappear after they really start invading people's privacy or something way better will come out offering total privacy. So what about you guys? Do you still use facebook? How long do you think facebook will be around?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

I don't know, I remember thinkin myspace was going to be around forver, and look what happened there, Facebook kinda murdered it.  Although I still like myspace for band music news...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I sure hope not. The chaos that would ensue! 

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

I deleted my facebook account last month. I would like to think it'll fade away, but google never faded away like alta vista or dogpile did, so it facebook might not go away of friendster or myspace did.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Organicalistic_
@mosespippy: I miss search me, that was my favorite internet browser, i do hop fb fades away
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Ace829

I don't see any other promising social networking sites on the horizon so I think Facebook is here to stay.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

I hope not, it's a cheaper way of keeping in touch with family and friends across the pond. 
Calling them would get mad expensive.  
But I guess not having friends would make me not care about FB but "sadly" that is not the case.  
I have been smitten by the Facebook fad. Except for all the weird "games" on there o.O

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FlyingRat

Of course it will. It's a fucking website, how long do they generally stay? Not more than a few years

Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#9  Edited By Karolis

NEVER.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By inkeiren

Yeah, someday, but something else will take its place.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RE_Player1
@Lone_f said:
" NEVER. "
Maybe?
masterherocard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By masterherocard

It will eventually, probably to be replaced by something else. 

It's the cycle of internet personal-information sites. They start out small, for a specific group, grow way too large, then someone else starts a new site for a specific group of people and the process repeats itself.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pazy

Unlike Myspace which, as far as I remember, tended to exist alone Facebook has brought in so much more like Games and Website Integration. When people left myspace they readded there friends and uploaded some photo's and moved on but with Facebook they lose all the attachment's they have made to other websites (for example being able to log into third-party websites with your Facebook account) and the time they have spent on a facebook game. While its fundamentally the same as Myspace/Bebo or any other social networking site its spreading out to get its thread's into other things to make it harder to give it up and move on so Im not sure if it will go away, at least not so easily.

I however done use it and never have so I dont care what happens as long as it leaves me alone.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By gingertastic_10

If it went away my mom would be pissed.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By xMP44x

Facebook will definitely burn out over time. All sites do and it's perfectly understandable for such a thing to happen. However, how long Facebook will take is going to be interesting to see. I have an account on the site and I do not use it too much. However, I like having access to two social networks, as I use Twitter more for discussions with people I know from the internet. If Facebook burns out I have a feeling Zynga Games will have part in that seeing as they have threatened to pull off FB and use their own site instead to get the FarmVille Addicts converted. Twitter is a good site in itself, but it lacks the features Facebook offers, and therefore it will probably not take over in the same manner. Then again the excitement seems to be minimum features now - MySpace burned out and it had more features than Facebook. Granted they were not as well executed, but there were more features present there for customising profiles at least.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist

i hope it won't. Who knows what will happen to my college friends after 10 years?

FACEBOOK STALKER.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GreggD
@ZeForgotten said:
" I hope not, it's a cheaper way of keeping in touch with family and friends across the pond. Calling them would get mad expensive.  But I guess not having friends would make me not care about FB but "sadly" that is not the case.  I have been smitten by the Facebook fad. Except for all the weird "games" on there o.O "
You pretty much summed up my thoughts.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It will not fade away, it will transform into something else, just like Myspace transformed into Facebook, and the charade will live on.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If ppl has a face, they will keep using it, unless they don't have a face anymore and wants to stay trendy.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By DanielJW

Chances are something will better it. It's hard to fathom now, but it's harder to fathom Facebook being around forever. 

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallen189

For regular, well adjusted people with friends, I doubt it. This is a thinly veiled facebook hate thread.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By RJay_64
@FlyingRat said:
" Of course it will. It's a fucking website, how long do they generally stay? Not more than a few years "
Facebook has been around for a while now.  I created my account in 2005.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hot_Karl

I think so, eventually. It'll lose steam because teenagers are the bread and butter of social networking sites, yet they are fickle, so they'll eventually move on to the next big thing, whatever that is. Myspace ain't what it used to be. Eventually, Facebook will become that.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lucas_kelly

I doubt it ever will. Facebook has a framework which extends beyond its main site and into others. A new social networking site would have to be something really special to top Facebook. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck
@ZeForgotten said:
" I hope not, it's a cheaper way of keeping in touch with family and friends across the pond. Calling them would get mad expensive.  But I guess not having friends would make me not care about FB but "sadly" that is not the case.  I have been smitten by the Facebook fad. Except for all the weird "games" on there o.O "
Call with skype?
FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FlyingRat
@RJay_64 said:
" @FlyingRat said:
" Of course it will. It's a fucking website, how long do they generally stay? Not more than a few years "
Facebook has been around for a while now.  I created my account in 2005. "
Yeah, that's 5 years. That doesn't prove it won't be gone in 2 or 3 years, which i still count as a few years in the large scheme of things.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zeforgotten
@Azteck said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
Call with skype? "
I don't wanna call those guys when they're sleeping. 
And I don't want them to call me when I'm sleeping either. 
We're all friends but not best friends ever!  

:P 

But sure, sometimes a skype call gets done here and there, but the bunch of who have a job don't have time for that all the time. 
So for me Facebook is perfectly fine to just leave a quick message to someone. 
Also to plan vacations.. 
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Whisperkill
@FlyingRat said:
*looks around* 

well it looks like its time for me to get outta here...
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blair

Nothing lasts forever, especially on the internet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Facebook may fade sometime in the foreseeable future, but giant bomb will reign forever.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By armaan8014

Giantbomb will take over it.

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SumDeus

Facebook might, but social networking will outlast mankind.

Dysnomia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dysnomia

Eventually, but not anytime soon.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FlyingRat
@Whisperkill said:
" @FlyingRat said:
*looks around*  well it looks like its time for me to get outta here... "
If you're talking about this website dissappearing, i wouldn't worry. I think we got a good few years ahead of us. :)
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenousrattler

if what i hear about facebook wanting to charge people money for using it is true, then it will fade away

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Tireyo

Well nothing lasts forever that's for sure.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By RipTheVeins

Eventually it will whenever the newest flashier social networking site comes along to dethrone it.  It's just like how people though that Everquest would never be topped but then World of Warcraft came along, or how few people thought Myspace would get old until Facebook started getting more recognition.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Teaspoon83

Nothing is eternal but that is the easy answer. Right now, I don't see it going away for a long time. 400 million users are part of Facebook, it is the largest site, only behind Google. Facebook has apps on every Smartphone, integrated itself across other websites (GiantBomb, Pandora, Yelp), introduced a "Like" button to share content you came across the web with friends (Like Digg) and keeps adding features from other trending sites like Foursquare (bringing Location updates) and Twitter( Using a form of @ replies, well almost). We have Blizzard integrating Facebook into Battle.Net 2.0 for Christ Sakes.  

If they could control their privacy issues and perhaps hire a person to do some decent PR, Facebook will remain king of all things social. That being said, teenagers are the quickest to call out what is trendy and with several of them now questioning Facebook's privacy, I'm sure a large amount of the users will head over to anything up and coming, like Diaspora. People donated large amounts of money to this open source social hub being built and the four guys only had one line of code started. People want something out there to compete with Facebook. 

Facebook will still survive though, when people realize they spent years and are integrated with the site. The hub for all their friends, updates, pictures and games with no easy way to export out. Until Facebook screws the pooch so horribly the dog needs therapy, it is here to stay for a while.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as the pretentious douches like to think "It's just a fad." it's here to stay. 

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jesus

Don't see it happening anytime soon. 

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm guessing that something else will come out that people will become obsessed with

nafta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nafta

First, the people in charge of facebook, i.e. Zuckerberg and company, will die rich men, so will their children, and their childrens' children.  They have as much freedom as you can have in this world.

Second, I think facebook will slowly fade away and that it is time to cash in the stock.  It will take decades for it to be shut down, if ever.  However, I believe it is a flawed product, long term.  It tries to do too much and lost too much of its exclusivity with open registration outside of colleges.  What differentiates facebook from a telephone number?  A telephone number does not waste your time by sucking you into the lives of all the people in your yellow pages, facebook can.  I knew it was doomed when this guy in his 30s, a professional limo driver, had facebook, the same website I was joining in 2006 before starting engineering college.

Sites like linkedin, twitter, and even this one are better long term products.  They have an exact purpose or a niche audience that comes back for more.  If the sites try to do too much, they will lose their original purpose, maybe the owners will get rich quick, but the long term product will be faulty.

Think of GM, it used to have so many brands and it did too much.  Eventually, GM downsized and stuck to a smaller number of brands.  Railroads used to own hotels, ships, ports, now they are focused, agile, long term value businesses.  The bosses of GM and the railroads, like Zuckerberg, always cashed out.  Whether their product was healthy long term or not is another question.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Eventually, yeah. Just like with what happened to Myspace, eventually something bigger and better will catch on. However, I don't see it happening anytime soon. I imagine facebook is going to have smooth sailing for at least 5 more years.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSValis

No it will stay strong like Myspace.....oh wait.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fearthephins

At first I thought it would but seeing how it is now...  I hardly think so. It's an easy way to keep in contact with friends/family you don't get to see as much so I can see this thing going on for a very long time. It has other things that I have kept people oddly addicted to it so I don't see facebook fading away anytime soon.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By megalowho

Once Zuckerberg flips the switch that makes everything you've ever done on Facebook public to all, thus causing mass hysteria to society at large as people realize how creepy everyone else really is, then yeah it may lose some of it's luster.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dichemstys
@ArchScabby said:
" I don't know, I remember thinkin myspace was going to be around forver, and look what happened there, Facebook kinda murdered it.  Although I still like myspace for band music news... "
MySpace is still great for music. Not much else...
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Hizang

Hopefully not, I need my fix!
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mazik765
@FlyingRat said:
Well Facebook as been around for about 6ish years now and there are plenty of websites that are older than it that are still going strong, so...
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Eventually yes, but until a new format comes along, I doubt it. It's the best experience out there and will probably continue to be so for a long time to come. I'd much rather a good service stick around so that I don't have to use a new social networking site every 3 years. And I like the lack of obnoxious ads on Facebook. Any other equivalent is almost certain to use the myspace tactic of shoving gaudy, hideous, irrelevant ads down our throats. Facebook sticks to text ads that aren't overly intrusive (unless you use those stupid apps, but if you use those, you're the kind of idiot that deserves a page full of unhealthy links), and I greatly appreciate that. Plus, everyone uses it so until someone comes out with something sexier and manages to take that monopoly away, Facebook will just slowly grow and grow and grow.