Do you think that having a comments section on a website is ever beneficial?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BisonHero

I've been mulling this over for a while, and I just can't think of a website where I think it really benefits from having a comment section. A forum section tends to be somewhat better, in that people are more likely to stick around, put some time into their replies, make jokes with other users they've become familiar with, and in general not just be mouthy assholes. I'm applying this to the Internet as a whole, not just Giant Bomb.

Comments on the other hand, promote making 1-2 sentence posts by their very nature, but unlike Twitter, there's no accountability. And since the only group of people who seem to have the time and interest to be on the Internet all the time are teenage boys who think they know everything, most comments sections just seem utterly worthless to me. Comment threads seem to devolve into name-calling between 14-year-olds at an alarming rate.

My overall point is that on just about any site I go to, whenever I look at the comments section, 99% of the comments make me think "Oh goddammit, you stupid, stupid people." Almost everybody acts like a petulant child, just shooting out a knee-jerk reaction, that I don't feel enriches the site or my personal interaction with it.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By NickL

Not sure what exactly you mean.

It definitely isn't beneficial on EVERY page, but pages like a video or a picture I enjoy it on.

Not because it creates a "meaningful" discussion but because I am curious about other peoples opinions compared to my own.

If only everyone who ever gets the urge to say "first" or something similar could burn in a fire, it would be much better though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By napalm

No.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

I'd like to discuss the news story....in the news story, weird no?

Unless you are talking about yahoo, i don't usually see bad comments propagated to the top.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

No, and it's usually filled with a bunch of "first!", or "damn, I almost got the quest", followed by a bunch of one-liners about something that was already funny in the video. I rarely find "hmm, well this has me excited, but I'm still worried about ______", or "The presentation looks nice, and they seem to have improved the graphics side of their engine". In other words, it's almost all a bunch of junk.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Subjugation

I'm still trying to understand what you are getting at. You're okay with forums but don't see the point of comments sections elsewhere (like videos/articles)? Or have I misinterpreted you?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barrock

No. 99% of people spew absolute garbage.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JasonR86

Yes. Community involvement leads to people joining as members. The more members the stronger the community. The stronger the community, the more views a website has. For example, youtube.com

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but trolls are a small yet vocal minority....

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By audiosnow

Even when the posters (internet words!) attempt to write something constructive, they are often either incorrect or poorly written enough to be only vaguely better than the usual racist/sexist/pointless posts.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm referring to news sites, blogs, and other standard written media formats, NOT to Giant Bomb.

@JasonR86 said:

For example, youtube.com

...Which is why YouTube Options for Chrome is the first extension I install, and "Hide Comments" is the first box I check.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bybeach

I think it goes both ways, and is hugely dependent upon the content the comment section is focused on. Though communities in gaming can vary, so you do get what you might consider a significant group variability of negative or positive. But comments centered on say a particular gaming console or an idolized franchise will be much different from more generalized or mutually shared subjects.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn
@huntad

No, and it's usually filled with a bunch of "first!", or "damn, I almost got the quest", followed by a bunch of one-liners about something that was already funny in the video. I rarely find "hmm, well this has me excited, but I'm still worried about ______", or "The presentation looks nice, and they seem to have improved the graphics side of their engine". In other words, it's almost all a bunch of junk.

You need to read through more comments, on some sites that's accurate, but there's plenty of actual discussion in GB comments.

Yes, this website would be shit without some sort of user feedback besides forums.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I love the comment section. That's where all the drama is. Who doesn't love internet drama?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

@mlarrabee said:

Even when the posters (internet words!) attempt to write something constructive, they are often either incorrect or poorly written enough to be only vaguely better than the usual racist/sexist/pointless posts.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm referring to news sites, blogs, and other standard written media formats, NOT to Giant Bomb.

This is one of the things I was getting at. You're right on the money about most comments being "either incorrect or poorly written". I'd prefer a discussion involving tolerant, well-informed people, and hell, you sometimes barely get that from journalists themselves. The comments section of most websites reminds me that the majority of people in human civilization are pretty much those people that read [the newspaper in your country that every respectable person knows is a complete rag and sensationalizes everything] and think it's a great read.

I'd rather not be reminded of how depressing the human race is, if it can be avoided.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green
@Claude said:
I love the comment section. That's where all the drama is. Who doesn't love internet drama?
yes, i love to read, hear about drama. it is funny. 

yes, comments are great.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iamjohn

They're funny, sometimes. That's good enough for me.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Milkman

I'm of the idea that reviews just shouldn't have comment sections. Nothing good ever happens in them.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Virago

Yes. I want to hear what the average human has to say, and reading their comments on places like foxnews and youtube reassures my faith in humanity.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

@Virago said:

Yes. I want to hear what the average human has to say, and reading their comments on places like foxnews and youtube reassures my faith in humanity.

You forgot the MSNBC newsvine comment section.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally unnecessary, even on this site. Go look at the comments for the recent MGS HD collection QL or the Ultimate MvC 3 one on here or Youtube. Go ahead, I dare you.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would much rather have it than not.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By swoxx

@Claude said:

Thank you. At least someone sees reason.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cnlmullen
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By Levio

If there were no comments section, readers would just find some other outlet to post the same thing. The comments section serves to gather those responses in a nice, tidy section where they can be safely quarantined from the rest of the site.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Commisar123

It all depends on how they are used, like on this site they are great.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

Thanks for the interesting feedback, guys. The poll results were actually a lot closer than I expected.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By TehFlan
@Milkman said:

I'm of the idea that reviews just shouldn't have comment sections. Nothing good ever happens in them.

You're probably right. I can see potential for reasonable discussion within review comments, but it just never goes the way it should.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Karl_Boss

On Youtube, never.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By knetic2341

I find that fanboys and people with too high of an opinion usually comment on news and such. I try to avoid reading it because I know someone will be an idiot and kinda annoy me. (The worst was trying to watch anything MW3/BF3 related with the other side saying the other game sucks and how much this game was better.)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

If in 100 comments there is one that is insightful I've still gained a little bit of insight so yes.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexxan

I enjoy reading the comments, they're interesting from time to time. 

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meowshi

You're just mad that some people are engaging in creepy hero-worship on QL videos. Just be honest.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikkaQ

I've never seen a truly constructive argument or criticism ever on a comments board for an article, review or video in my entire time on the internet. It's all "FIRST!" or "This article sucks, the writer blah blah blah". It's almost never "I respectfully disagree, here are my well laid out thoughts". It's always personal attacks too. The internet is full of savages.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MiniPato

Well if they don't have the comments section people would be emailing their complaints directly to the source, so I'm sure both sides would want a comments section. There is good mixed with the bad, people just have a tendency to remember the negatives more cause it pisses them off.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mutha3

Giantbomb suffers a bit from "TGWTG-syndrom" sometimes, with some of our member being creepy oversensitive ninnies, but in general:

Yes, definitely. How else are you supposed to give feedback on a piece of content?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gamefreak9

I can tell you when i go looking for Naruto Anime, i skip to the comments to see if anyone says filler, and if they do, i don't watch... Comments actually save ALOT of time.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Dagbiker

Pro tip: Dont make a survey for open ended questions.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlinkyTM

@NickL said:

Not sure what exactly you mean.

It definitely isn't beneficial on EVERY page, but pages like a video or a picture I enjoy it on.

Not because it creates a "meaningful" discussion but because I am curious about other peoples opinions compared to my own.

If only everyone who ever gets the urge to say "first" or something similar could burn in a fire, it would be much better though.

Yeah, I agree.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jimbo

How would people find out how wrong the article was if I couldn't leave comments?

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thefjk

Yes, but at this stage I'm almost inclined to go with the herd and just do it through Facebook API's saves you messing about!