BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BirthWild
No Caption Provided

I want to make a comic in the vain of Redwall and Mouse Guard kind of stuff, I like the mice but I like many animals like gorillas and badgers, and the idea of them as different cultures and warriors and such sounds cool to me.

Making them stand on their back legs and stand up and wear clothes. Does this make it furry-tastic? I'd rather not go that route but I'm not sure what fits in that territory if like, FIffle Goes West or Battle Beasts or Mouse Guard again is basically furry? I ask mostly because, not trying to offend furries but I'd rather not be associated so heavily with that because I'm not a fan. I grew up reading ranger ricks and animal fact books there is a fascination with the cool animals that roam earth and I'd like to install that into something I work on.

Am I simply asking for to much? Am I on a fools errand to try and represent animals with human qualities as something cool? Should I just go draw people agian?

Also I wasn't sure if there was a board to talk about art, so I put this here, hopefully that's okay.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By falling_fast

redwall's not furry because the animals aren't supposed to look "sexy" in that series. they just look like animals that happen to be wearing clothes, as opposed to weird human/animal hybrids.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

As long as you're not fetishising them or making them fuck you shouldn't get any furry accusations.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@dekkadekkadekka said:

As long as you're not fetishising them or making them fuck you shouldn't get any furry accusations.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By AngelN7

Just don't give the female gorillas human like breasts , abs and curves that's what people don't like about anthropomorphic creatures when they are sexualixed, other than that you can put a funny hat on you cartoon gorilla or a hawiian shirt ... I mean just look at the old Dinosaurs TV show, that's how you do it right.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fattony12000

THE MOUSE KNIGHT NEEDS TO BE RIDING INTO BATTLE, MOUNTED ON A BADGER.

Draw whatever you damn well please, it doesn't make you a furry.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Dude, draw what you like and forget about the kind of people who would look down on you for wanting to tell a story with anthropomorphic characters. I know a lot of people on the internet now seem to have this fear that things might be "furry", and in this situation I think you'd need to state what you think "furry" means for us to fully answer your questions, but if someone is going to start yelling that you're "furry" and therefore weird or bad for wanting to put animal people in a story then they've proven that obviously they're not the kind of people who's opinion is worth anything, at least not in this situation. There have been plenty of great stories across all mediums that have involved anthropomorphic characters, from children's literature, to video games, to Pixar or Dreamworks movies. If you want to draw and write about animals, draw and write about animals, don't be suppressing what you really want to do because you think others won't approve, that doesn't help create good work.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Simplexity

Back when I was kid I used to read a lot of Donald Duck comics does that make me a furry?

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MaxOpower

Hahaha I was in tears by the end of the post. Was expecting some "clever" remark concerning Dust. But this was price less. Good on you OP, thanks, you made my day.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

I'd write about how you should just do whatever you want to and fuck the haters but that's already been said by

I would go on to say that the only things I would consider "furry" are those things that are overtly sexualized.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I never thought Mouse Guard was furry-ish, All of the animals keep their animal like shapes. The Mice stand on their hind legs and have swords and cloaks,but they're still very clearly mouse-shaped.

bennyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bennyboy

Yeah Gamer_152 already mentioned it but I'm still going to say it anyway who the fuck cares what people think.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By monkeyking1969

Who cares? I mean really...who cares what people say or think when what peopel think is dumb.

Worrying about , "Is this furry?" is pointless. I didn't see anyone's grandfather feeling embarrassed when Elmer Fudd kept falling in love with Bugs Bunny EVERY TIME he dressed in drag.

Is Whinnie the Pooh furry story telling? Is Disney's Robin Hood or Tom & Jerry fetishism because the Robin Fox likes the female vixen Marian, or is Jerry Mouse immoral if he dressed up like a "Latin lady" with fruit on his head?

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BirthWild

:') it looks like I can push forward with the drawing then. I figured it was more of a sexual thing having to do with animal people that are made to look "hot" I wasn't sure if I'd get jumped for making this thread for some reason, thanks for proving me wrong kind internet folk.

I guess I figured I might be accused of it for the simple fact of having animals speak and be in clothes, of whether people considered most cartoons with animals and clothes furry, but not in the horrifying sense. Because I never considered them that way, even with more "arms" than they should have, I like keeping them as animal as they can.

but yes I apologize for not having the gumption to do what I want without dealing with people not liking it, because that's a given. So I will continue to draw on!

Thanks again for the feedback.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wjb

Is that swan supposed to be so desirable? I don't understand these feelings I'm feeling...

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WalkerD

That art style is pretty slick. If any finished work is reminiscent of those sketches I'm sure you won't get a single "furry" comparison.

Do care what other people think. If you're trying to build a fanbase public opinion should be a concern.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jerseyscum

Yeah, you're free of the furry virus. For now.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By triple07

It's only weird if you get a boner.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the idea of animals being different cultures and everything is cool, I def enjoy stuff like Pride of Baghdad.

If you want to fuck animals or people dressed as animals that's furry-tastic

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sodacat

@BirthWild said:

I want to make a comic in the vain of Redwall and Mouse Guard kind of stuff, I like the mice but I like many animals like gorillas and badgers, and the idea of them as different cultures and warriors and such sounds cool to me.

I'd be less worried about this being furry, and more worried about it being unintentionally incredibly racist.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheHumanDove

@sodacat said:

@BirthWild said:

I'd be less worried about this being furry, and more worried about it being unintentionally incredibly racist.

and unintentionally sexist. AHHHHH!

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sodacat

@TheHumanDove: Well, yes, unintentional sexism is always a problem, but when you're portraying a different culture as literally a different species you're treading very close to racist caricature territory.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHumanDove

@sodacat said:

@TheHumanDove: Well, yes, unintentional sexism is always a problem, but when you're portraying a different culture as literally a different species you're treading very close to racist caricature territory.

No

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By toowalrus

If being into DuckTales, StarFox and the World of Warcraft makes us Furries, then god damn it, I'm gonna embrace it. Stand tall and sing it from the rooftops. 

...uh, honestly though, unless you're drawing them nude and fantasizing about fuckin' em, you're not a furry.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MiniPato

Anthropomorphic cartoon animals were a thing long before furries became a thing.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NegativeCero

In my eyes, as long as you don't draw them going at it, then you're fine. You doubly rest assured if you feel nothing other than you think that art style looks cool.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By audiosnow

I've seen videos of people dressing up in dog outfits and walking about on all fours sniffing anuses. I'm being completely literal.

Furry culture is bestiality toned down for legality. What you want to do is not furry in the slightest.

As has been said here already, if you assign inappropriately human anatomy to an animal for the purpose of sexualizing it, that's furry.

The designer of Dust didn't intend this, but some of his fans certainly did.

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spoonman671

Cheetara?  No, everybody has a thing for her.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By habster3

No, this does not make you a furry (as long as you don't sexualize the characters, at least)

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By medacris

I agree with Gamer, just draw what you want and don't mind what people think. A lot of people drew anthropomorphic animals-- Hanna & Barbera, Tex Avery, Walt Disney...Make sure to link it here, we want to see! Although they're both more of the standard definition of a "furry comic", you might want to read Lackadaisy or Blacksad for research. Both are very good stuff.

@Spoonman671: I'm probably alone in this, but I love the 2011 reboot version of Cheetara. She was awesome.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mlarrabee said:

I've seen videos of people dressing up in dog outfits and walking about on all fours sniffing anuses. I'm being completely literal.

Furry culture is bestiality toned down for legality. What you want to do is not furry in the slightest.

As has been said here already, if you assign inappropriately human anatomy to an animal for the purpose of sexualizing it, that's furry.

The designer of Dust didn't intend this, but some of his fans certainly did.

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

I hate you so much for that link. I expect a forum thread with words. WORDS DAMN YOU!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

People spazzing out about 'furries' is hecka dumb. Like the whole "I can't play Dust cause furries!" garbage. You draw what you want dude. Also Mouse Guard is awesome.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

Dressing up in animal costumes and having sexy fun time with other people makes you a furry. Anything less than that is just makes you fur-curious at best.

And just for giggles here's Oscar winner Jim Rash, who doesn't like it when you use the word furry because it ruins his google alert for furry information. Furry stuff starts @ 3:40.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bicycleham

Do you wear an animal suit?

Do you wear animal ears?

Do you enjoy animals fucking?

If you answered yes to any one of those you're a furry.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By notdavid

Redwall is dope as fuck. Secret of Nimh is dope as fuck. Any Disney flick with talking animals is usually dope as fuck. Just focus on making your comic dope as fuck, and most people will look past the furry thing.

And yes, it is a furry thing. Even if it's not sexualized. I get that anthropomorphic animals have been a thing before the furry fandom was a thing, but it's clearly an issue of semantics.

I fucking hate that word. Fandom.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By Dalai

Yeah, the people who came up with Thundercats are sick fuckers.

gumdealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gumdealer

Like others have said, I think the furry aspect comes from the artist's style rather than the general use of anthropomorphic animals. As long as you don't give a skunk a huge rack I think you're good.

The comic Maus made good use of the different animals representing different cultures, you might want to take a look at that if you haven't already.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MariachiMacabre

No. Also Redwa was the shit. Goddamn I loved that series.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#40  Edited By psylah

No matter how hard you try, I am still going to masturbate to it, so yes it is furry.

You cannot fight this.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JakeLogan

I gotta say, you folk surprise me - there's more tact open mindedness being excersised here than I was expecting in a furry discussion thread on Giant Bomb.

My personal stance, is there's a fine line of distinction between anthro and furry. It may blend together or overlap at the edges depending on what direction you take it with both art style and story content, but it's very possible to be one without the other (or at least anthro without furry). It's when you take the next big step into furry-dom, and the next big step after into the dark, seedy under belly of the internet, now that's an entirely new ball game.

Looking at your concept here, I'm seeing Redwall, I'm seeing Maus, I'm seeing any number of stories that have tread that familiar path before - I wouldn't worry about it being furry at all, unless you include a story arc where a frisky ferret lady tries to tempt the mouse knight (however, if that makes it in, I want a shout out). If you end up with a partial furry fan base, the worst that could happen is a few forums get devoted to fan art and you get more traffic as a result, but that's Rule 34 at work.

The 80's saw a huge boom in anthropomorphic cartoon characters of greater or lesser depth, and there were talking animals long before that. To reiterate what everyone else has said so far, do what you like (as long as it doesn't deliberately hurt anyone) and damn everyone else. I'm gonna steal the term pyromagnestir brought up, and just sign off saying at the end of the day, I think we're all a bit fur-curious to a degree.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By JasonR86

@BirthWild:

Don't worry about titles people place on you. Be yourself and if people don't like it fuck'em.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By intro

@BirthWild said:

I like the mice but I like many animals like gorillas

Yeah.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zeforgotten

Meh, nobody even knows what a furry really is so you're fine. 
Also, don't even worry about what some idiots might think. Their definition of "Furry" is liking Star Fox and Sonic.  

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By geirr

As an artist sometimes making money on furry art commissions, I don't consider myself a furry or anything of the kind, and let me give you the "common sense" advice of not giving a fuck what some people think about you.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sploder

It's only furry if balls are touching

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mistzero

Dude have your read Animal Farm. You can express philosophical and political messages with animals and not have a "furry" agenda.

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OmegaChosen

Concur with the advice to not care. To be honest, I don't see how a work could be "furry" unless it was specifically tailored with that fetish in mind. If the worry is that some segment of people may find some part of the work titillating to a degree then it would probably be better to not make anything ever because if something gets popular enough, people will make porn of it. There are really no exceptions.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

as long as you don't start drawing them fucking each other. drawing penis, vaginas, and boobs then your good.