True Blood 2%
Eastbound & Down 1%
Treme 0%
Boardwalk Empire 3%
Girls 0%
Veep 1%
The Newsroom 1%
Other (Please Specify) 6%

Alright so first off just look at that fucking list! HBO has for years been my go to programming for TV for obvious reasons mostly being that they almost always make quality stuff. Out of the twenty shows I've listed here I've seen 14 of them (and own most of those 14) so yeah I clearly have a problem. I did not include miniseries (sorry Band of Bros) and skipped some of the shorter lived series which were less known (Enlightened etc.) so if you guys like those feel free to put other.

As of right now I am getting into The Wire (just finished second season Love me some Nicky Sobotka) and wanted to see the level of love GB had for HBO. Honestly anyone looking at this list and who hasn't seen many of these shows check em out they are on the whole awesome (ha ha).

Depending on the day of the week my personal faves are Oz and Six Feet Under. Over the years I have met lots of people who enjoy HBO but have skipped over Oz declaring it as a "prison rape show" to which my mouth curls and I argue with them for half an hour. Oz started it all really and begins the amazing cycle of serious drama (especially violent in this series, seriously like one death a show) and had great characters. Six Feet Under is much more subdued but knocks the family drama dynamic out of the park. The Fischer (I think that's the spelling) family is entirely believable (even though I loathe Ruth) and you follow them to what I can only describe as the single best finale I have ever seen for a series. Just saying.

I'll probably vote for Oz as it was my first step and I think it is so underseen and underrated.

So yeah my love letter to HBO laugh if you will but just watch at least one or two of these series and enjoy the awesomeness!! Give me your thoughts/opinions I never get to talk about this shit at length before people go yeah there good and then go glossy eyed when I try comparing them.

Runner Up: The Sopranos.

Current Series I Watch: Boardwalk Empire, Girls, True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Oh and one last thing, some of these series are great girlfriend tv share moments. She had to twist my arm to watch True Blood and Girls but they are fairly well written (and True Blood is stupid fun) and I got to force her to watch Game of Thrones and Oz so everyone wins :D

#1 Edited by Yummylee (22568 posts) -

I haven't watched even half of the shows listed, but The Sopranos gets my vote anywhoo considering it's one of my favourite TV series, if not my top favourite, of all time.

#2 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

The Wire.

Though there's some heavy competition from some of the others.

#3 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

@crosstheatlantic said:

The Wire.

Though there's some heavy competition from some of the others.

Agreed. The Wire is the greatest show ever. Not only super entertaining, but very informative and relevant.

Carnivale, Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Curb, Rome are all awesome. Eastbound has been flaky after season 1 but season one is maybe the best season of any comedy series ever to me.

I need to watch Oz, never have.

#4 Edited by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

Where's Mr. Show or Larry Sanders?

The only show on that list I've seen more than a few episodes of is Game of Thrones, so it wins by default I guess...

#5 Edited by D_Bones (365 posts) -
#6 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3507 posts) -

The Sopranos, is, I think, *easily* the TV show to beat, which I know frustrates some peeps because it's older now and it gets so much acclaim and yadda yadda yadda, but that mixture of character, directing, humour, drama, weird dreams and great music has never been equalled, on or off HBO. After that it's The Wire. My other big time HBO faves that I always pimp are Carnivale, Deadwood and Game of T. Oz is way up there too but I haven't seen it all, so consider it partially omitted.

#7 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Agreed agreed. Only I need to get around to watching season 3 of Eastbound and Down. Season 1 is basically a perfect season of television, I feel. Season2 wasn't as good, but that bar was absurdly high.

#8 Posted by mellotronrules (1250 posts) -

DEADWOOD.

(cuz swearengen is like, the best evrrr)

#9 Edited by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

Gotta love Larry David

#10 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

Where's Mr. Show or Larry Sanders?

Ah big omissions I didn't even think if them. Neither is my favorite but both are excellent. Larry Sanders was especially groundbreaking in retrospect.

@artisanbreads: Agreed agreed. Only I need to get around to watching season 3 of Eastbound and Down. Season 1 is basically a perfect season of television, I feel. Season2 wasn't as good, but that bar was absurdly high.

Season 3 is definitely better than 2 so if you've put it off for that reason give it a shot. There are some really good episodes. Still not to season 1 levels though.

#11 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

@artisanbreads: And yeah the wire so far is really good. Although if I'm going to be honest slow to start and get into (which was why I lost my gf two episodes in. Now that I'm on season two I'm noticing they are just methodical. And they always have great endings to seasons with unexpected stuff left and right. Just wondering what is your favourite season? A friend of mine said the school season (4 I think) was the best, just curious what you think.

@crosstheatlantic: Hm I tried to get into Eastbound bought the first season and watched it with my gf. Loved Danny McBride stuff but couldn't get into it. Think the only episode we laughed at was the Will Ferrell one. Must just be me, I'm probably gonna stop there especially if you guys are saying later seasons were worse.

#12 Posted by bartok (2585 posts) -

Mr. Show

#13 Posted by uniform (1838 posts) -

Arli$$

#14 Posted by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

If Deadwood had gone a few more seasons and reached something resembling a true conclusion, it would probably undoubtedly be at the top of my list. However, as it stands, I've got to say Game of Thrones.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5328 posts) -

The Wire, hands down. I dare say it's the best TV show in history.

#16 Posted by JadeGL (974 posts) -

Rome was awesome. I think it still is my favorite, but it ended too soon.

#17 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

@d_bones said:

@artisanbreads: And yeah the wire so far is really good. Although if I'm going to be honest slow to start and get into (which was why I lost my gf two episodes in. Now that I'm on season two I'm noticing they are just methodical. And they always have great endings to seasons with unexpected stuff left and right. Just wondering what is your favourite season? A friend of mine said the school season (4 I think) was the best, just curious what you think.

Definitely a bit of a slow burn.

And it's tough to pick a season that's really my favorite.. it's between 2 and 3.

With 2:

It's funny because it was, the first time I watched the series, my least favorite. I thought it focused too much on the dock. But re watching it, some of the best moments with the whole Barksdale crew and others take place in this season, and the stuff with the dock was very well done. It was an interesting change of pace. D'Angelo also was a terribly tragic moment.

With 3:

Tons of great stuff (lots of Clay Davis, Marlo, Cutty, Bunny, etc), but Avon vs Stringer is the best. I think Stringers death scene and the scene where Avon and Stringer are out on the balcony, acting as friends but in reality plotting against each other, are the two best scenes in the series. And as I said, part of why I like the show so much is it's message, and to me, Hamsterdam was the most powerful in the series.

Seriously, watch this shit. Wow.

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I love the Wire, and the rooftop scene is probably my favorite. Damn, what an intense moment.

I'm on Season 3 of SFU right now, and although it's a great show it hasn't quite made the same impact on me that The Wire did.

#19 Posted by Bocam (3826 posts) -

I hate how the Sopranos got in the later seasons. So I have to go with The Wire followed by Game of Thrones

#20 Edited by crithon (3448 posts) -

no tales from the crypt? no deal

#21 Edited by DarthOrange (3906 posts) -

I don't care too much for HBO shows but I do enjoy watching Taxi Cab Confessions and Funny or Die.

#22 Edited by Jay_Ray (1132 posts) -

Game of Thrones followed by Rome

Been meaning to watch The Wire and Deadwood.

#23 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

Other - Generation Kill

...closely followed by Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Generation Kill is only a mini-series, so there's just a handful of episodes, but there's not a single speck on it. A taste of it is embedded below.

I guess Band of Brothers deserves some mention too - what an epic show. Haven't seen The Wire yet. Watched the pilot years back, but way after its time on the air, and never followed it up. Should check it out for serious one of these days.

#24 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

@artisanbreads: yeah I thought second season was better than the first. I only briefly looked at your season 3 spoiler block because I hate them and afraid of ruining the season for me but was curious and yeah I can't wait to see Stringer and Anton go up against each other. Sounds intense. Personally I'm on team stringer yo.

Overall impressions of this poll so far.....WAY less love for the sopranos than I thought, sort of disappointing that the new kid GoT is kicking ass (even though it is great 2 seasons doesn't warrant a fave IMO) and tons of people giving me shit for not including Mr. Show and miniseries (which isn't part of the poll...period!) but they don't choose other for unknown reasons :). Oh and at this point I'm thinking it would have been better if I had just done an HBO drama series because honestly their comedies aren't as good.

#25 Edited by Jimbo (9998 posts) -

Boring choice but probably The Wire. Some of the others on the list (the ones I've seen) have the quality, but they either don't have the consistency, lose their way or were cut off in their prime.

The Wire is consistently outstanding and it feels complete. It neither feels rushed nor outstays its welcome, and that in itself is impressive and unusual.

#26 Posted by GunstarRed (5475 posts) -

As much as I really, really like nearly all of those listed I would have to say that I love the hell out of Eastbound & Down. One of the most consistently laugh out loud funny shows I have seen in the last few years.

#27 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The lack of love for Six Feet Under is depressing. The Wire is great and all, but Six Feet Under is where it's at.

#28 Posted by Pr1mus (3950 posts) -

None

#29 Posted by CornBREDX (6041 posts) -

I liked (like) a lot of those shows but I think my favorite has always been deadwood. Cancelled to soon, it 'twas.

Side note: ha, I'm still able to break the format bar

#30 Edited by benpicko (2006 posts) -

Game of Thrones first in the poll? What?

#31 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The Wire.

Game of Thrones is great, but so were the books. The Wire is original and brilliant.

#32 Posted by Zella (827 posts) -

Boardwalk Empire for sure, already read Song of Ice and Fire so the show doesn't have the same impact when you know everything that happens and can spot all the changes.

#33 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

life and times of tim easy

#34 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

Gotta give it to my boy Larry David for giving us Curb Your Enthusiasm. Love that show.

#35 Posted by StarvingGamer (8558 posts) -

Sex & the City is the only show on that list I have seen so it wins by default.

Man, I really don't watch much TV.

#36 Posted by jsnyder82 (763 posts) -

Where the fuck is Enlightened on this list?

Maybe nobody watched it, and HBO ultimately decided to cancel it, but this season was without a doubt the best season of any show HBO has ever done. And yes, I'm including The Wire.

#37 Edited by Butano (1790 posts) -

Hmm....probably Game of Thrones, though Band of Brothers and John Adams are excellent also!

#38 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1482 posts) -

I havent seen enough HBO series to really say, but i do highly enjoy Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. I should also get around to watching The Wire

#39 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Gotta give it to my boy Larry David for giving us Curb Your Enthusiasm. Love that show.

Gotta love Larry David

Hell yes, good tastes guys.

#40 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6398 posts) -

I'd say Entourage or Eastbound and Down. I was also fond of Bored to Death, but the way that show ended left a bad taste in my mouth, sorta like the latter half of Sopranos.

#41 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (619 posts) -

God damn I just had the terrible realization that the only HBO show I've seen is True Blood.

I watched the first two seasons, and didn't think it was good enough to warrant going back.

I really need to watch The Wire.

#42 Edited by Winternet (8055 posts) -

The Sopranos, followed by Six Feet Under.

#44 Posted by Marcsman (3294 posts) -

It's gotta be Game of Thrones since you did not include John from Cincinnati. ( ha ha ha that show was a piece of shit)

#45 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

Mr. Show

#46 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5090 posts) -

Band of Brothers

#47 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Rome was/is the best show HBO will ever make. Then Curb.

#48 Posted by wwfundertaker (1404 posts) -

The sopranos and Game of Thrones.

#49 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6311 posts) -

The Sopranos gets my vote but fuck HBO has had some kick-ass shows...

#50 Posted by Stepside (510 posts) -

Love me some Boardwalk Empire.