True Blood 2%
Eastbound & Down 1%
Treme 0%
Boardwalk Empire 3%
Girls 0%
Veep 1%
The Newsroom 1%
Other (Please Specify) 6%

Alright so first off just look at that fucking list! HBO has for years been my go to programming for TV for obvious reasons mostly being that they almost always make quality stuff. Out of the twenty shows I've listed here I've seen 14 of them (and own most of those 14) so yeah I clearly have a problem. I did not include miniseries (sorry Band of Bros) and skipped some of the shorter lived series which were less known (Enlightened etc.) so if you guys like those feel free to put other.

As of right now I am getting into The Wire (just finished second season Love me some Nicky Sobotka) and wanted to see the level of love GB had for HBO. Honestly anyone looking at this list and who hasn't seen many of these shows check em out they are on the whole awesome (ha ha).

Depending on the day of the week my personal faves are Oz and Six Feet Under. Over the years I have met lots of people who enjoy HBO but have skipped over Oz declaring it as a "prison rape show" to which my mouth curls and I argue with them for half an hour. Oz started it all really and begins the amazing cycle of serious drama (especially violent in this series, seriously like one death a show) and had great characters. Six Feet Under is much more subdued but knocks the family drama dynamic out of the park. The Fischer (I think that's the spelling) family is entirely believable (even though I loathe Ruth) and you follow them to what I can only describe as the single best finale I have ever seen for a series. Just saying.

I'll probably vote for Oz as it was my first step and I think it is so underseen and underrated.

So yeah my love letter to HBO laugh if you will but just watch at least one or two of these series and enjoy the awesomeness!! Give me your thoughts/opinions I never get to talk about this shit at length before people go yeah there good and then go glossy eyed when I try comparing them.

Runner Up: The Sopranos.

Current Series I Watch: Boardwalk Empire, Girls, True Blood and Game of Thrones.

Oh and one last thing, some of these series are great girlfriend tv share moments. She had to twist my arm to watch True Blood and Girls but they are fairly well written (and True Blood is stupid fun) and I got to force her to watch Game of Thrones and Oz so everyone wins :D

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I haven't watched even half of the shows listed, but The Sopranos gets my vote anywhoo considering it's one of my favourite TV series, if not my top favourite, of all time.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The Wire.

Though there's some heavy competition from some of the others.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@crosstheatlantic said:

The Wire.

Though there's some heavy competition from some of the others.

Agreed. The Wire is the greatest show ever. Not only super entertaining, but very informative and relevant.

Carnivale, Sopranos, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Curb, Rome are all awesome. Eastbound has been flaky after season 1 but season one is maybe the best season of any comedy series ever to me.

I need to watch Oz, never have.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By Kidavenger

Where's Mr. Show or Larry Sanders?

The only show on that list I've seen more than a few episodes of is Game of Thrones, so it wins by default I guess...

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By D_Bones
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The Sopranos, is, I think, *easily* the TV show to beat, which I know frustrates some peeps because it's older now and it gets so much acclaim and yadda yadda yadda, but that mixture of character, directing, humour, drama, weird dreams and great music has never been equalled, on or off HBO. After that it's The Wire. My other big time HBO faves that I always pimp are Carnivale, Deadwood and Game of T. Oz is way up there too but I haven't seen it all, so consider it partially omitted.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Agreed agreed. Only I need to get around to watching season 3 of Eastbound and Down. Season 1 is basically a perfect season of television, I feel. Season2 wasn't as good, but that bar was absurdly high.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

DEADWOOD.

(cuz swearengen is like, the best evrrr)

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OfficeGamer

Gotta love Larry David

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's Mr. Show or Larry Sanders?

Ah big omissions I didn't even think if them. Neither is my favorite but both are excellent. Larry Sanders was especially groundbreaking in retrospect.

@artisanbreads: Agreed agreed. Only I need to get around to watching season 3 of Eastbound and Down. Season 1 is basically a perfect season of television, I feel. Season2 wasn't as good, but that bar was absurdly high.

Season 3 is definitely better than 2 so if you've put it off for that reason give it a shot. There are some really good episodes. Still not to season 1 levels though.

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: And yeah the wire so far is really good. Although if I'm going to be honest slow to start and get into (which was why I lost my gf two episodes in. Now that I'm on season two I'm noticing they are just methodical. And they always have great endings to seasons with unexpected stuff left and right. Just wondering what is your favourite season? A friend of mine said the school season (4 I think) was the best, just curious what you think.

@crosstheatlantic: Hm I tried to get into Eastbound bought the first season and watched it with my gf. Loved Danny McBride stuff but couldn't get into it. Think the only episode we laughed at was the Will Ferrell one. Must just be me, I'm probably gonna stop there especially if you guys are saying later seasons were worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Mr. Show

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arli$$

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#14 chaser324  Moderator

If Deadwood had gone a few more seasons and reached something resembling a true conclusion, it would probably undoubtedly be at the top of my list. However, as it stands, I've got to say Game of Thrones.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Wire, hands down. I dare say it's the best TV show in history.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rome was awesome. I think it still is my favorite, but it ended too soon.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@d_bones said:

@artisanbreads: And yeah the wire so far is really good. Although if I'm going to be honest slow to start and get into (which was why I lost my gf two episodes in. Now that I'm on season two I'm noticing they are just methodical. And they always have great endings to seasons with unexpected stuff left and right. Just wondering what is your favourite season? A friend of mine said the school season (4 I think) was the best, just curious what you think.

Definitely a bit of a slow burn.

And it's tough to pick a season that's really my favorite.. it's between 2 and 3.

With 2:

It's funny because it was, the first time I watched the series, my least favorite. I thought it focused too much on the dock. But re watching it, some of the best moments with the whole Barksdale crew and others take place in this season, and the stuff with the dock was very well done. It was an interesting change of pace. D'Angelo also was a terribly tragic moment.

With 3:

Tons of great stuff (lots of Clay Davis, Marlo, Cutty, Bunny, etc), but Avon vs Stringer is the best. I think Stringers death scene and the scene where Avon and Stringer are out on the balcony, acting as friends but in reality plotting against each other, are the two best scenes in the series. And as I said, part of why I like the show so much is it's message, and to me, Hamsterdam was the most powerful in the series.

Seriously, watch this shit. Wow.

Loading Video...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@artisanbreads: I love the Wire, and the rooftop scene is probably my favorite. Damn, what an intense moment.

I'm on Season 3 of SFU right now, and although it's a great show it hasn't quite made the same impact on me that The Wire did.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate how the Sopranos got in the later seasons. So I have to go with The Wire followed by Game of Thrones

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By crithon

no tales from the crypt? no deal

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By DarthOrange

I don't care too much for HBO shows but I do enjoy watching Taxi Cab Confessions and Funny or Die.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jay_ray

Game of Thrones followed by Rome

Been meaning to watch The Wire and Deadwood.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

Other - Generation Kill

...closely followed by Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. Generation Kill is only a mini-series, so there's just a handful of episodes, but there's not a single speck on it. A taste of it is embedded below.

I guess Band of Brothers deserves some mention too - what an epic show. Haven't seen The Wire yet. Watched the pilot years back, but way after its time on the air, and never followed it up. Should check it out for serious one of these days.

Loading Video...

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: yeah I thought second season was better than the first. I only briefly looked at your season 3 spoiler block because I hate them and afraid of ruining the season for me but was curious and yeah I can't wait to see Stringer and Anton go up against each other. Sounds intense. Personally I'm on team stringer yo.

Overall impressions of this poll so far.....WAY less love for the sopranos than I thought, sort of disappointing that the new kid GoT is kicking ass (even though it is great 2 seasons doesn't warrant a fave IMO) and tons of people giving me shit for not including Mr. Show and miniseries (which isn't part of the poll...period!) but they don't choose other for unknown reasons :). Oh and at this point I'm thinking it would have been better if I had just done an HBO drama series because honestly their comedies aren't as good.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

Boring choice but probably The Wire. Some of the others on the list (the ones I've seen) have the quality, but they either don't have the consistency, lose their way or were cut off in their prime.

The Wire is consistently outstanding and it feels complete. It neither feels rushed nor outstays its welcome, and that in itself is impressive and unusual.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As much as I really, really like nearly all of those listed I would have to say that I love the hell out of Eastbound & Down. One of the most consistently laugh out loud funny shows I have seen in the last few years.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshthebear

The lack of love for Six Feet Under is depressing. The Wire is great and all, but Six Feet Under is where it's at.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

None

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I liked (like) a lot of those shows but I think my favorite has always been deadwood. Cancelled to soon, it 'twas.

Side note: ha, I'm still able to break the format bar

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benpicko

Game of Thrones first in the poll? What?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wire.

Game of Thrones is great, but so were the books. The Wire is original and brilliant.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boardwalk Empire for sure, already read Song of Ice and Fire so the show doesn't have the same impact when you know everything that happens and can spot all the changes.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

life and times of tim easy

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Gotta give it to my boy Larry David for giving us Curb Your Enthusiasm. Love that show.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Sex & the City is the only show on that list I have seen so it wins by default.

Man, I really don't watch much TV.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where the fuck is Enlightened on this list?

Maybe nobody watched it, and HBO ultimately decided to cancel it, but this season was without a doubt the best season of any show HBO has ever done. And yes, I'm including The Wire.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By butano

Hmm....probably Game of Thrones, though Band of Brothers and John Adams are excellent also!

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I havent seen enough HBO series to really say, but i do highly enjoy Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. I should also get around to watching The Wire

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta give it to my boy Larry David for giving us Curb Your Enthusiasm. Love that show.

Gotta love Larry David

Loading Video...

Hell yes, good tastes guys.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'd say Entourage or Eastbound and Down. I was also fond of Bored to Death, but the way that show ended left a bad taste in my mouth, sorta like the latter half of Sopranos.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn I just had the terrible realization that the only HBO show I've seen is True Blood.

I watched the first two seasons, and didn't think it was good enough to warrant going back.

I really need to watch The Wire.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Winternet

The Sopranos, followed by Six Feet Under.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gotta be Game of Thrones since you did not include John from Cincinnati. ( ha ha ha that show was a piece of shit)

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Mr. Show

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Band of Brothers

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rome was/is the best show HBO will ever make. Then Curb.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

The sopranos and Game of Thrones.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Sopranos gets my vote but fuck HBO has had some kick-ass shows...

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love me some Boardwalk Empire.