#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

Can somebody explain to me what's so popular about this font? If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at Sega:

and CNN:

and the FDA:

What is it about a line through the middle of it that people love so much? I know that there are more examples of this, but I can't figure out what people love about it. Can somebody explain?
#2 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Edgy isn't it?

Shadow the hedgehog I mean. Not the logo design

#3 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -
@luce said:
" Edgy "
Liney.
#4 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

The Illuminati fills the line with subliminal messages >.>

#5 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -

It looks like the FDA made its logo, somebody told them CNN was going to sue them, and so they took the corners off the A.

#6 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

What? I'm sure it's not that everyone loves it, it's just one of those thing that just is. So much so that I would have never even thought about it before I saw this thread. And once I leave this thread, I'll stop thinking about it because it's not really important. There's no real reason why it is the way it is, it just is. But I if I had to guess why some of the people that used that font did do it that way, was to make it stand out to viewers by being bold.
#7 Posted by buzz_clik (6892 posts) -

Is it a line running through the middle of one piece, or is it two pieces that are next to each other? *mysterioso look*

#8 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:
" Is it a line running through the middle of one piece, or is it two pieces that are next to each other? *mysterioso look* "
It's a LAZZZARRR 

#9 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2115 posts) -
@mylifeforAiur said:
" The Illuminati fills the line with subliminal messages >.> "
I lol'd.
#10 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

If the FDA stands for the Font Design Adminstration, I'd ask them. Because I have no idea.

#11 Posted by BeachThunder (11646 posts) -

You forgot IBM :(

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -
@BeachThunder: 

That doesn't count; that's more like "fonts with scanlines in them."
#13 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

Wow, the FDA has a horrible, horrible logo.

#14 Posted by ch3burashka (4993 posts) -

It's just a font. 

#15 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it gives off different things to the color. it is just a basic thing that people do.

#16 Edited by AgentMOO (186 posts) -

And what's the deal with comic sans?

#17 Posted by Hamst3r (4436 posts) -

Yup.
#18 Posted by Portis (1279 posts) -

After all these years, I still really like the Sega logo.

#19 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (503 posts) -

It stands out and grabs your attention. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. A lot of thought goes into those logos.

#20 Posted by Mrnitropb (2090 posts) -

Alright font fanatics: Whats the name of this font?

#21 Posted by GlenTennis (3144 posts) -

I know one man who approves of this font.

#22 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Mrnitropb said:
" Alright font fanatics: Whats the name of this font? "
There's a version of it I remember using called 'Sega'. Yup, it was a version of the font styled more like the Sega logo than anything else. The variant used for CNN is available online called 'CNN Font'. I couldn't be bothered looking for the FDA version of the font seeing as you probably never will want to recreate the FDA logo.  

I've never actually noticed all these companies use the same font till now. Excellent powers of observation, OP! It's somewhat disappointing though, because despite all their graphic designers and such, they still just use the one font that looks so similar. Regardless, I don't really see much of CNN, or the FDA outside of the United States. To me that will probably just be the 'Sega' font.
#23 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

forgot the sears logo, too.

#24 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

buzz_clik would know the answer.

#25 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@GlenTennis said:
" I know one man who approves of this font.

"
excuse me non-lined fonts ima let u finish but Sega has the best font with a line running through it ever !