Gaming Update #7: Where's The Welcoming Committee?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax
This blog contains spoilers for Mass Effect

Now I'm starting to realize how difficult it can be to keep up a consistent user blog. As some of you may or may not have noticed, I disappeared for yet another week or so. The reason being is that my mom's laptop, which I had been using due to mine being killed by a virus, finally met the same fate. This is terribly ironic, as my mom is always telling me to not download stuff because I'll get a virus and that all Giant Bomb is somehow destroying my computer. Our neighbor took her laptop to get it fixed, and we finally got it back. The cool thing is that one of the tech dudes or whatever for the Senate fixed it. We're sending mine in to get fixed next.
 Eat Boot
 Eat Boot

Anyway, I'm trying to remember all of the things that happened during the time that I was gone. Probably the biggest thing was that after 2 weeks of school (because I'm incredibly spoiled) we went to Gamestop to spend 60 bones. I got 4000 Microsoft Points, respectfully pushing away Giant Bomb's recommendation of Batman: Arkham Asylum. With it I downloaded Shadow Complex and Mass Effect. The former I've been wanting to play since I watched the demo at E3. The latter of which I hadn't played in a year due to the fact that I had borrowed it from a friend. Both games are great, as I had expected. I never thought that I would play a game like Shadow Complex. I didn't think 2D (or in this case, 2.5D) games would interest me, but this game did , and it rocks. The story is kinda meh, and after about 30 minutes of playing I completely forgot about it. I beat it in just under 7 hours I believe. I started a second playthrough to try and collect 100% of the items, but after spending 3 and a half hours getting 50% of them, I totally screwed myself by doing the quick ending where you abandon Claire. Now I must start that all over again..... I still have 2000 points left, and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Red Faction: Geurilla maps coming out Thursday. That release day is great, because I don't have school Friday. I'll have three days to play them. Sweet.

Hey, I know what that is!
Mass Effect is still a great game. Back in '08 when I had it, I got to level 54 with my first character, a Soldier, and beat the game. I then started another quick playthrough where I played as a Renegade. Now, I'm on my third character, a Vanguard, and I'm trying to complete the majority o f the game and reach level 60, although I'll probably have to start a New Game+ or whatever in order to do the latter. Right now I have quite a lot of side quests completed, and my next main mission is Virmire. I know that after that mission, I get grounded on the Citadel, so it's been difficult trying to find every quest and beat it before heading there. I actually screwed up pretty bad on Feros. After the colonists turn against you, I ended up killing 2 or 3 of them because I ran out of Thorian grenades. It just so happens that the 2 or 3 that I killed were quest givers, which means I am unable to complete some of them. Lame. Anyway, I really love the whole atmosphere of that game. Everything about it is just......splendid.

Yesterday, we were at Gamestop once more returning Ace Combat 6, which my dad had randomly bought a few days prior. Because it was used, we got a full refund, and I ended up buying Crackdown for $17. This was another game that I had borrowed from the same friend and hadn't played in a year. I managed to beat it in a hour due to me being so close to the end. I've decided that sometime during this week I'm going to trade that back in and get Batman: Arkham Asylum. I can't wait, because that game looks like the sex, yo.

What else..... I've been incredibly lazy the past few weeks or so. Catching up on Giant Bomb can take some time, you know? On Saturday, I took the time to type up a quick review of the film Knowing, starring Nicolas Cage. You can find it here. Wanna know something mind blowing? I think he's a pretty good actor. Besides that, I've made very slow progress on my Left 4 Dead Versus Guide, which I suppose I can announce publicly that I'm making one. It's been in the making for probably 2 months now. I've been slowly putting stuff into it, and it's actually looking pretty good so far. I'm surprised I haven't deleted it.

Surprisingly, that's all I can think to write at this time. Weird, because I've been gone for over a week and then some. Oh well.

EDIT: Oh, and I laughed myself to sleep last night listening to Marshyd13 harass people on Xbox LIVE. Fantastic.

Until next time, children.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax
This blog contains spoilers for Mass Effect

Now I'm starting to realize how difficult it can be to keep up a consistent user blog. As some of you may or may not have noticed, I disappeared for yet another week or so. The reason being is that my mom's laptop, which I had been using due to mine being killed by a virus, finally met the same fate. This is terribly ironic, as my mom is always telling me to not download stuff because I'll get a virus and that all Giant Bomb is somehow destroying my computer. Our neighbor took her laptop to get it fixed, and we finally got it back. The cool thing is that one of the tech dudes or whatever for the Senate fixed it. We're sending mine in to get fixed next.
 Eat Boot
 Eat Boot

Anyway, I'm trying to remember all of the things that happened during the time that I was gone. Probably the biggest thing was that after 2 weeks of school (because I'm incredibly spoiled) we went to Gamestop to spend 60 bones. I got 4000 Microsoft Points, respectfully pushing away Giant Bomb's recommendation of Batman: Arkham Asylum. With it I downloaded Shadow Complex and Mass Effect. The former I've been wanting to play since I watched the demo at E3. The latter of which I hadn't played in a year due to the fact that I had borrowed it from a friend. Both games are great, as I had expected. I never thought that I would play a game like Shadow Complex. I didn't think 2D (or in this case, 2.5D) games would interest me, but this game did , and it rocks. The story is kinda meh, and after about 30 minutes of playing I completely forgot about it. I beat it in just under 7 hours I believe. I started a second playthrough to try and collect 100% of the items, but after spending 3 and a half hours getting 50% of them, I totally screwed myself by doing the quick ending where you abandon Claire. Now I must start that all over again..... I still have 2000 points left, and I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Red Faction: Geurilla maps coming out Thursday. That release day is great, because I don't have school Friday. I'll have three days to play them. Sweet.

Mass Effect is still a great game. Back in '08 when I had it, I got to level 54 with my first character, a Soldier, and beat the game. I then started another quick playthrough where I played as a Renegade. Now, I'm on my third character, a Vanguard, and I'm trying to complete the majority o f the game and reach level 60, although I'll probably have to start a New Game+ or whatever in order to do the latter. Right now I have quite a lot of side quests completed, and my next main mission is Virmire. I know that after that mission, I get grounded on the Citadel, so it's been difficult trying to find every quest and beat it before heading there. I actually screwed up pretty bad on Feros. After the colonists turn against you, I ended up killing 2 or 3 of them because I ran out of Thorian grenades. It just so happens that the 2 or 3 that I killed were quest givers, which means I am unable to complete some of them. Lame. Anyway, I really love the whole atmosphere of that game. Everything about it is just......splendid.

Yesterday, we were at Gamestop once more returning Ace Combat 6, which my dad had randomly bought a few days prior. Because it was used, we got a full refund, and I ended up buying Crackdown for $17. This was another game that I had borrowed from the same friend and hadn't played in a year. I managed to beat it in a hour due to me being so close to the end. I've decided that sometime during this week I'm going to trade that back in and get Batman: Arkham Asylum. I can't wait, because that game looks like the sex, yo.

What else..... I've been incredibly lazy the past few weeks or so. Catching up on Giant Bomb can take some time, you know? On Saturday, I took the time to type up a quick review of the film Knowing, starring Nicolas Cage. You can find it here. Wanna know something mind blowing? I think he's a pretty good actor. Besides that, I've made very slow progress on my Left 4 Dead Versus Guide, which I suppose I can announce publicly that I'm making one. It's been in the making for probably 2 months now. I've been slowly putting stuff into it, and it's actually looking pretty good so far. I'm surprised I haven't deleted it.

Surprisingly, that's all I can think to write at this time. Weird, because I've been gone for over a week and then some. Oh well.

EDIT: Oh, and I laughed myself to sleep last night listening to Marshyd13 harass people on Xbox LIVE. Fantastic.

Until next time, children.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Shadow Complex was pretty rad, I must admit. I have more complaints than most people with it but it was a solid game. Mass Effect is good too, though I played it somewhat recently and didn't think as highly of it now as I did before. A lot of the world seemed empty to me.

Also, Nicolas Cage was a good actor. I really can't see anyone saying he has been good in recent films like Knowing, National Treasure, Ghost Rider and especially Bangkok Dangerous. I loved him in Raising Arizona and Adaptation though and he was excellent there. He really was an excellent actor in many films. I just don't think he has been anything above mediocre over the last few years. That is just my two cents.

Nonetheless, solid blog. I always enjoy these roundup type ones.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I am ashamed to say I haven't played Mass Effect yet. It was one of those games from 2007 that I always meant to play but got swamped over with my addiction to CoD 4 and RB1.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jkz
@RHCPfan24 said:
" Shadow Complex was pretty rad, I must admit. I have more complaints than most people with it but it was a solid game. Mass Effect is good too, though I played it somewhat recently and didn't think as highly of it now as I did before. A lot of the world seemed empty to me.  Also, Nicolas Cage was a good actor. I really can't see anyone saying he has been good in recent films like Knowing, National Treasure, Ghost Rider and especially Bangkok Dangerous. I loved him in Raising Arizona and Adaptation though and he was excellent there. He really was an excellent actor in many films. I just don't think he has been anything above mediocre over the last few years. That is just my two cents.  Nonetheless, solid blog. I always enjoy these roundup type ones. "
I dunno, I thought he was acceptable in National Treasure (1, not 2), it was a light film, but I thought his approach fit it well and he played his part well...that is all
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@RHCPfan24: I thought National Treasure 1 and 2 were great films.

@Everyones_A_Critic: You've never played Mass Effect? :O
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

I keep meaning to buy some live points so I can play Shadow Complex. Oh yeah, you need to get off that evil Giant Bomb, it will destroy you and everything you know and own.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natetodamax
@Claude said:
Oh yeah, you need to get off that evil Giant Bomb, it will destroy you and everything you know and own. "
Just a part of their plan for world domination
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Tireyo
@natetodamax: National Treasure 1 & 2 are good movies I always thought. The movie could have been so much more though.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Xandurson

I plan on returning to Mass Effect pretty soon because I still have some side quests to get done for that one achievement.

Thwackers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Thwackers

I bought Mass Effect and put about 8 hrs into it, I think. Not even close to finishing it. Now I will have to go back and finish it. Im a sucker for Bioware. They are based in my home town of Edmonton.

www.thwackers.tv