Giant Bomb's Greek Members, I Need Some Suggestions...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yahsu and kaleespera all. I am off to Greece next week for a short break and was wondering if any of the fGrecians we have on Giant Bomb could recommend a few places, particularly those that are off the tourist trail?. I'm heading to Athens but I do have four days free to travel around, so everywhere is in reach really.

By the way, just so you know, I am so on your side as far as the whole Elgin marbles thing. I may be British but I'm also well aware we are thieving scumbags that have stolen from many truly "great" cultures around the world. And continue to do so.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any help,

Efcareesto!

PS: If you could recommend some food dishes I would appreciate that too

Dolmadakias ftw.

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

http://www.athensguide.com/

A lot of good tips in here.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Do you like olives? Greeks do. A lot.

They like seafood don't they?

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

British thieve..

j/k, enjoy your trip duder! I hear their big fat weddings are a hoot ;)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Smarter_Martyr said:

"  http://www.athensguide.com/  A lot of good tips in here. "

No offense mate but if If I wanted to read some shitty tourist guide for Athens, I would have already. I want suggestions from Greek people or those that have been themselves, people who will point to places in Greece, that are simply not to be found in tourist guides.  

@Jolly_Lolly said:

" British thieve.. j/k, enjoy your trip duder! I hear their big fat weddings are a hoot ;) "

They are, I've actually been to one when I was younger, great food and hot women, I faintly recall :)  

I woke up on a mattress and found two beautiful ladies feeding me stuff, not food, nor body parts :)
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

@Linkyshinks: 
Just trying  to lend a hand. I went to Greece back in '05, but I'll be damned if I could remember all the off the beaten path hotspots. I did go to a couple of places in that guide, though.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Smarter_Martyr said:
"  @Linkyshinks:  Just trying  to lend a hand. I went to Greece back in '05, but I'll be damned if I could remember all the off the beaten path hotspots. I did go to a couple of places in that guide, though. "

Cool, you have my apologies if I seemed abrupt in my reply. 

I do really want first hand suggestions from those in the know, I already have enough guides pointing out the same places...I'm not a touristy traveler, I never have been, I always look to divert off the well worn path. It's dull and no way to truly experience a country.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
@Linkyshinks said: 
 They are, I've actually been to one when I was younger, great food and hot women, I faintly recall :)      I woke up on a mattress and found two beautiful ladies feeding me stuff, not food, nor body parts :) "
...but what else is the-?  

o_o
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan

My friend went to Greece this summer to visit some family members there, I'll ask him where some good places are.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Jolly_Lolly said:

" @Linkyshinks said: 

They are, I've actually been to one when I was younger, great food and hot women, I faintly recall :)      I woke up on a mattress and found two beautiful ladies feeding me stuff, not food, nor body parts :) "

...but what else is the-?            o_o "

Well lets just say they were not Jelly Beans.  Only God knows what they did to me that morning...All I recall is waking up in a state of bliss repeatedly throughout the day, and being pleasantly surprised by what I saw. I don't think we had sex, I checked downstairs and there seemed to be no traces, if you know what I mean ;). But then the could have covered their tracks well, if you know what I mean.

@Br3adfan said:

" My friend went to Greece this summer to visit some family members there, I'll ask him where some good places are. "

Well I leave on Monday, so if you get the chance ask before then... 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By breadfan

He says the islands Crete and Mikonos are good places to visit

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Tiwi

is Crete an option?
if so you really should go to Knossos

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
@tiwi said:

" is Crete an option? if so you really should go to Knossos "

Absolutely,  I can take a travel to any of the island easily enough.  Never heard of that particular place, I will look into it. 

Thanks.

edit:

The Minoans!, if you had said the Minoan palace ruins I would have known the place instantly.  I would like to go there.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

We won those marbles fair and square.  They knew the risk when they agreed to play for keepsies.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Jimbo said:

" We won those marbles fair and square.  They knew the risk when they agreed to play for keepsies. "

"Won", nothing was won, it was stolen as it always is when were concerned. Elgin paid off the Turks, the last weak remnants of Ottoman empire, in some dirty deal. Those Turks had no legal ownership of the great antiquities of Ancient Greece. It was a case of thieves selling onto thieves.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

When are you coming? Earthdance Crete Festival is on Sept 25-26. For off the beaten path stuff try the plakias and fragokastelo areas, many great beaches to find and stuff. Then again the weather's just turned to shit these days so beaches may not be what you can visit...

My sister just came back from Milos island with her fiance and they said they had a great time there too.

Edit: Nm, saw the date, guess you'll miss the festival.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Al3xand3r said:

" When are you coming? Earthdance Crete Festival is on Sept 25-26. For off the beaten stuff try the plakias and fragokastelo areas, many great solitary beaches and stuff. Then again the weather's just turned to shit these days so beaches may not be what you can visit...Edit: Nm, saw the date, guess you'll miss it. "

Monday, but only for a week. It sounds like my kinda thing too, my Girlfriend would love going to something like that. 

Plakias and Fragokastelo - will look into them now. Thanks a lot.  

Now where's VigourousJammer, I know he's Greek also, or at least his obsession with Carrie Gouskos suggests as much.   

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

It was a marbles joke, but whatevs.  We did come back a century later and liberate their country - seems like a fair trade.

maa4208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By maa4208

My grandpa came from Mykonos and I spent 2 weeks there last year and I loved it. Go there if anything. And I love pastichio, so you have to have that.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Jimbo said:
" It was a marbles joke, but whatevs.  We did come back a century later and liberate their country - seems like a fair trade. "
Um, wat?
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

I was referring to the process whereby Greece went from surrendering to Germany and being an occupied nation, to no longer being an occupied nation, due to the German forces having to retreat in the face of the oncoming Allied and Soviet advance.  

Which part were you having trouble with?

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, you won the war all by yourselves and consider yourselves "the" (not even "among" the) liberators of any part that was once occupied by Germans and left alone with the German retreat? Nice, especially since you had the grand alternative of, um, not fighting in a World War?

Oh and thanks for sticking kings in the motherland of Democracy.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well we arrived this morning, took a trip to the Acropolis and had a good look at the Parthenon, which was amazing despite all the scaffolding all over the place. Then we went the National Museum, which we both actually found to be pretty cool. It really opened my eyes to how diverse Ancient Greek culture and art is throughout the various periods. It's raining now but later I were heading down to the foot of the Acropolis and dining al fresco, there seem to be some great taverna's around there. I had a awesome kebab earlier, or should I say Gyros.

On another note. F***!, the pollution here in Athens is ridiculous!, I thought London was bad, but this feels twice as worse! It's been a sticky day today, quite humid at times. The weather is looking up for tomorrow and Wednesday though.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Bruce

I mean, Greece is so beautiful, why not just walk around and find things for yourself?

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By dbz1995

Kratos would show you a damn good time.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Al3xand3r said:

" Yeah, I wanna go to the new Acropolis Museum too some time. "

Yeah, we would have gone today but it's closed on Mondays, something which I consider very odd. We are going tomorrow morning though. It looks great, I love the architecture of it, and how it mirrors certain aspects of the ancient architecture. It's the place where the stolen marbles should be. 

@Bruce

said:

" I mean, Greece is so beautiful, why not just walk around and find things for yourself? "

Great idea Bruce! :D ... we only have a couple of days here. As it happens we have done ample walking today, getting lost in the tight knit streets of downtown Athens, which is no bad thing when there's good food and Ouzo to be had almost everywhere.

Had a great bath today at my hotel, some fat man with a mustache gave be a scrub with a very rough glove, lol  It actually felt good, I have not felt this clean in ages.

Going to dinner in a hour or so, been drinking Ouzo while staring out at Athens from the balcony :). I like how vibrant the people are here, even the old women are loud lol, it must be the healthy food I reckon.

See ya.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gizmo

Just don't say you're Turkish, you'll be fine.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am Greek myself but have never been to Greece. I don't like that, I really should go one day. I am thinking of visiting this summer. I heard Mykonos is a great island though.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Gizmo said:

" Just don't say you're Turkish, you'll be fine. "

They don't seem to like what we would call Kebab's. being called a Kebabs even, I mentioned the word and some bloke gave me the arm lol.

@RHCPfan24

said:

" I am Greek myself but have never been to Greece. I don't like that, I really should go one day. I am thinking of visiting this summer. I heard Mykonos is a great island though. "

You should definitely put that right...  I'm going there later in the week, it looks pretty awesome from all that I've seen and heard from other people here. The weather should be a lot better in a few days too.   

The streets are buzzing with activity, people drinking, smoking and joking on the pavement, you can hardly walk. so you have to walk on the road. which is dangerous when youve been drinking Ouzo and smoking all night as I have.  The drivers here are crazy, we were nearly run over twice earlier today. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Linkyshinks: Yeah, I believe I am going this next summer. My family is Greek so I have no excuse haha.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Linkyshinks
We have just arrived in Poro, and it looks fucking amazing, my heart skipped when I got off the ferry.   It's so nice to be out of chaos of Athens, it was really starting to get to me, the smell, the sound, not my kind of place at all.   

Poros smells like no place I've ever smelt before, it really is quite amazing, apparently it's the fragrant lemon trees in the forest we are going to later. We are going to the temple of Poseidon now though. He's always been my favourite Greek god so that should be cool.  We went to the Acropolis Museum yesterday and it was awesome, I saw tons of great sculpture and wall relief's, which should help with a few work projects when I get back.