Hand cramps and game controllers ---> myth?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By TechHits

I have never in my many years of playing games have ever gotten a hand cramp from a controller. It's a thing people seem bring up constantly when talking about older controllers that they don't like or when odd time a controller debate comes up. I was wondering if it was one of those loud minority issues or am I just weird (lucky?) So I wanted to know: 

Have you ever gotten a hand cramp from a controller, if so what one?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

How big are your hands though? Mine are pretty big and it's an absolute PAIN to play on either Gamecube or Playstation controllers. Gamecube is the worst though.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sameeeeam

I did have a really bad one playing Ninja Gaiden: Black on the original Xbox. That's the only one I can recall.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d
@xyzygy said:
" How big are your hands though? Mine are pretty big and it's an absolute PAIN to play on either Gamecube or Playstation controllers. Gamecube is the worst though. "
I have also got pretty big hands and I've never felt any sort of pain from holding a controller. I think it is likely to do with people's hands as opposed to the controllers at all.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By shirogane

Playing on the NES/SNES controllers for long periods aren't very nice...those things are so thin. Though it kinda does depend how you're holding it/what games you're playing, but no, it really isn't a myth, it can happen.
TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TechHits
@xyzygy:  according to my ruler I have laying beside me 20 cm from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger.
Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vanek

I've never had any problems with controllers, but my hands sort of cramp up when I use a PSP or DS.  They're just so damn small and uncomfortable. 

opp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By opp

I have personally never experienced a hand cramp.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The only time I've ever gotten hand cramps was playing Metroid Prime: Hunters on the DS. I honestly don't see how it's possible to not get hand cramps when you play that game for more than 15 minutes.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
@TechHits: I think there's a bit more to it than that. Not just the length of your whole hand, but the size of your thumbs, palm, and fingers individually.
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By CastroCasper

There was a time when I didn't have any time to play any games, and then had a big stretch of free time. After a few hours of Fight Night I noticed parts of my hand were cramped after putting the controller down. But I think it was because of the crazy amount of stick mashing in that game.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By ssj4raditz

I had my hand cramp only once when play a game, It was Super Metroid, and the only reason was probably because I'd been playing for about 8 hours straight. It's not happened since, because I have the brains to take a break every once in a while when I'm playing.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IBurningStar

I have had it happen to me a few times. I can't remember any of the games it happened during, but I do remember it only occured during long play sessions.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TechHits
@IBurningStar:  do you remember the controller? 
borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By borodin

I'm pretty sure I've had some minor cramping from playing a lot of PSP - can't remember every having cramp trouble with a console controller though, I split my thumb a fair few times on the old N64 controllers though!

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By craigbo180

I have the hands of a giant and they have never cramped up playing video games, and I play quite a lot of video games!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jams

Never got a cramp using a control or KB/M for that matter

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Tally_Pants

I've never had an issue with hand cramps on a controller and I have fairly big hands. My only issue is trying to use a DS. My thumbs cramp trying to get on the Dpad (its even worse with the 3DS now because they moved it lower down to make room for the analog "joystick") and my two index fingers cramp trying to keep them on the L/R buttons.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IBurningStar
@TechHits said:
" @IBurningStar:  do you remember the controller?  "
Think I remember it happening with a SNES controller. Almost positive one time involved a PS1 controller.
Zapbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zapbrader
@borodin said:
" I'm pretty sure I've had some minor cramping from playing a lot of PSP - can't remember every having cramp trouble with a console controller though, I split my thumb a fair few times on the old N64 controllers though! "
I was going to say I've never had cramps, but this reminded me of all the blisters I would get from that stupid, good for nothing, piece of crap controller. My hands get more sweaty than anything while playing games, which is preferable to any kind of pain. 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By toowalrus

The only controller to ever give me problems was long sessions ith the Guitar Hero PS2 controllers, but that's kind of a different thing, I've never had a 'hand cramp'.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust

Pretty much all of them cramp my hands, but it has less to do with the controller as it does the game I am playing.  Any game that requires a lot of rapid continuous button presses will cramp my hands quickly.  Fighting games do this which is one of the reasons I never developed any skill in the genre.  I know, I'd probably have a better time if I invested in a fight-stick but, the other reason I'm bad at the games is I have no desire to memorize lots of different combinations, so buying a stick for a genre of games I won't spend too much time with is silly.  One of the reasons I get hand cramps is because I get tense playing those games and I jam on the buttons hard.  I don't have a problem with shooters, racers, RPGs, platformers, etc... but fighters agitate me and thus change my playstyle. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Vonocourt

Using the analog nub on the PSP is the only time I can recall some kind of consistent discomfort.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By N7

The only time I've ever had my hands start hurting(Never had a cramp from a controller before) was playing Portable Ops on the PSP. Seriously, the controls were so fucked up it was insane. You had to hold it in a weird way to be able to use everything right. Great game, bad controls.

Other than that, I normally start getting a cramp during button-mashing-QTE's. But it's usually from pressing one button and not because of the controller.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By kingzetta

I get a cramp when I play a lot of Dynasty warriors.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

I get them all the time. My mouse hand is cramping right now in fact, and all I have been doing is browsing the internet. Handhelds are the biggest culprit for me though. Can't begin to describe the pain I got after my 5-6 hour long play sessions of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on my Gameboy SP.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Depends on how long you play as well. I used to get really painful hands playing COD4 after a Friday night Drinking / Gaming session. That and I can only play my DS for short bursts as my hands are to large to fit comfortably. So I can see it.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

Hand cramps are a myth. Never got them in all of my gaming career. Just something someone came up with to trick people. 

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By gla55jAw

They are not a myth. I get them when playing an FPSs for hours in a row. The worst I can remember was Boderlands, the COD4 Beta and Bad Company 2. Also from holding my PSP slim for an extended period of time.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tally_Pants
@Grimskallinj said:
" Never had it from hardcore gaming on many different consoles....getting blisters from the PS1/snes controller i recall though. "
Oh Yeah! I totally forgot about those mildly painful red zones on my thumbs from playing an action heavy snes game.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By EuanDewar

I have never had any hand cramp using a controller, which makes me even more horrified of it.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sarkhan

Only minor cramp from playing the psp. And then you have the "claw" for a half a minute :)
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By damnboyadvance

Nope. But those Gamecube controllers are really uncomfortable. I think Nintendo is the loser when it comes to designing game controllers. (Save for the Wii Remote)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

With some games, I need to shake out the old hands a little. I did get some bad cramps playing GTA IV on the Xbox 360, but I hadn't picked up a dual analog controller in about two years when that happened. I had been playing PC games and Wii games for those two years.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By zidd

my hands cramp up when i use the PSP. Even the original model.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By fox01313

I'm so used to the normal controllers now (ps1-3, xbox, xbox360) so I'm fine there but still having issues with the Wiimote where after an hour of gameplay it's just damn uncomfortable.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CL60

My wrist cramps up sometimes, but that's only because it's been messed up ever since I broke it and got a bone graft.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fajita_Jim

I have problems with any controller that requires my hands be near each other. M/KB are fine as I can separate my hands by a foot or more, but just a few minutes after picking up a controller and using it, the nerve that runs down my thumbs and into my forearm starts to hurt like hell.

Edit: Wasn't always so, I grew up on the Atari, NES and SNES, and the N64 had just released when I started having this problem. So it's been almost all PC for me since then.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iam3green

i get them from time to time. i use to get them but not lately. i think it's because of the designs of the controllers, xbox 360 and ps3.

stroker446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By stroker446

I get them with hard use from any controller. I have had a boxer fracture and my right pinky cramps easy. My only solution was to take regular breaks. Now i use some grips that fit over the handles of the ps3 and xbox controllers. They have all but eliminated the cramping. They are called play maker grips and make the controllers cushioned and larger