Has anyone else cried because of sports?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ramone

Sports seems to be one of the few things in life which can illicit a genuinely strong emotional response from me. I don't cry or get angry that much during movies, T.V, games or songs but when this happened I cried and then couldn't stop shaking for about 2 minutes afterwards:

I had a similar reaction when Newcastle were relegated in 2009. Even watching the above video now gives me chills and puts a massive smile on my face. Is this something that's happened to anyone else or am I just too invested in my local team?

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HellBrendy

My father didn't cry, but when Norway beat Brazil in soccer in 1994 he sure ws close, as was the whole of the norwegian soccer-nation.

As for my self, I like to see good talent what ever the thing, and can really appreciate a nice goal like the one in the first post.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Canteu

Only us true geordie men can get so emotional over the Toon... any other club supporter are just robots.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

No.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 49th

Fuck no, I don't really cry at anything if I think about it.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

lol at Steve Harper giving his teammates the people's elbow.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By imsh_pl

I cry from laugh sometimes when I hear Day9's SC II commentary. Does that count?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

When I was 7 I cried, raged and tore up my sports posters the night France beat Brazil in the World Cup final

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By JCTango

@Ramone: Absolutely, I have. There are a lot of great moments in sports where you can't help but feel emotional.. whether it's something that's really, really clutch and unbelievable, or it's something that just takes a lot of guts, courage, and determination... something you can not learn; it's inherent.

Here are two examples that come to mind:

1. Steve Jones doing the near impossible of fending off two pursuers to the finish line - almost losing it at the end, only to battle back and take it all.

2. Derek Redmond at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. I remember watching this live on TV one early morning. I came downstairs to see what my dad was doing - he was fixing up our trailer for a camping trip - I looked at the TV and saw the most amazing moment in sports for me to this day. On the backstretch, Redmond injured his leg and fell to the floor, unable to finish the race competitively. Unwilling to give up and determined to finish the race, he got up and hobbled his way to the finish. Seeing his son in a lot of pain, Redmond's father broke past the security lines to join him in his battle home. That moment defines what it means to not give up on something you worked really hard for. I couldn't understand the weight of this moment at the time, since I was very young, but as I got older I began to appreciate the moment and what it stood for.

PS: That was an awesome strike in that video you posted.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Broke my arm while playing hockey when I was 6 years old.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Karl_Boss

No, I played football (american) my 8th grade year and when we lost the final game of the season to our arch-rivals I was like the only one not crying on the team.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The only times men can cry are at their father's funeral and when a sports guy retires.

Ray Bourque finally getting his Cup after 22 years is tear jerking.

With other things like games, I feel strongest about moments in retrospect. In the moment I thought the 'final confrontation' in Bastion was really cool, in retrospect it actually gets me a little emotional. Or some musical cues just drag you back to playing a game when you were 10.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Yes, I once got kicked in the genital triangle during a martial arts class. HANG ON!

In all honesty, however, I'm not the kind of man invests myself in sports, though I certainly know a few people for whom sports is the only opportunity to show any emotions, whatsoever. It all comes pouring out.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chokobo

I was 9 and I BAWLED my eyes out.

In another instance, I didn't cry, but had the blues for about a month after the NFC championship game 2 years ago with "12 men on the field" and Favre throwing an interception instead of sliding to get into field goal range with the game tied.

It sucks to be a vikings fan.

NeVeRMoRe666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeVeRMoRe666

Only in football. I cried once in High School when we lost the City Championship game by one play.

We were down by 6 points with 2 minutes to go. We were starting on the other end of the field. I was playing Fullback at the time but had to sub in at Guard because our starter got hurt. We got into the huddle- our Quarterback was saying about how it was time for us to make history and all that. The ball was snapped, a defensive player blitzed, I picked him up, he jumped up just as the ball was thrown and tipped it into the air. It was caught by a Linebacker behind him who ran it down, I missed the tackle and they scored a TD.

I remember sitting and watching the other team celebrate with the trophy, cigars and scotch in the parking lot as I was waiting for my ride.

I felt responsible for losing us that game that day...still eats me up inside.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013

We had a scrimmage between the boys and girls competitive soccer teams once, and I got kicked in the nuts, but I can't say I cried.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Sooty

That's pretty homosexual, dude.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StingerMK2

im pretty sure i had tears of joy when Man Utd won the Champions League is 1999

for those who dont know (americans mainly :-p) they managed to comeback from 1-0 down and scored 2 goals in last few minutes of the game, i dont really follow football anymore, but that is definitely one of my favourite memories from when i did

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By galiant

No, because I don't care about sports.

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dave_442

Bayern Munich played Man Utd in the 1999 European Cup final. Missing their inspirational captain and both first choice central midfielders Utd find themselves a goal down after 11 minutes and fail to find an equaliser in normal time. As the fourth official indicates 2 minutes of stoppage time Bayern fans set off celebratory flares in the stands and the officials prepare to carve Bayern's name on the European Cup....

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By laserbolts

I'm not sure if I'm capable of crying.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

LOLNO

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamefreak9

Yeah... i did cry because of sports... but not like some moron who thinks some team who happens to come from his area of the world has something to do with him. I think supporting football the way its done today is saved exclusively for people who are to moronic to truly find passion.

That being said, i cried when i won New York State Nationals in 100 meters, and cried when i lost tri-state.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SerHulse

@StingerMK2: I had a similar moment when Liverpool came back from 3-0 down at half time against A.C. Milan to win the '05 Champions League. I remember people stopped watching at half-time and my cousin (who is a really big football fan) missed the epic comeback, he was so sure we'd lost.

I didn't out and out cry, but I was definitely welling up, I'll never forget that day.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By crusader8463

Nah. Hard to get emotional watching millionaires play sports. Plus I don't really care for watching sports anyway.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By JCTango

@Brodehouse said:

Ray Bourque finally getting his Cup after 22 years is tear jerking.

That was a good moment in history =). It was good to see him finally get it... and on his last NHL game, no less. It was even better when Joe Sakic handed the cup over to him without even taking the traditional captain's skate around the rink with the cup first. Very classy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus

Nope, never. It's not because I'm such a manly man, but I just don't feel any real attachment to any particular team- not even our local teams. I mean, I'd like for them to do well, but I don't really care either way.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PulledaBrad

Nuff said.....

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rentfn

I cried when the Red Sox won the world series in '04

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By mosespippy

Yes. When I first started playing rugby in grade 10 our team hadn't scored a point in 5 years. We had 12 rookies and lost our first game 97-7 against the only other high school in the town (making them our biggest rivals). Four people showed up to watch. They have only ever lost the provincial championship 3 times. Over the next couple seasons we broke our losing streak and built up our team to be a contender.

Our final regular season game against our rival in grade 12 was a close fought battle that ended 17-12. About 100 people showed up to watch. Ten hours later we played the number 2 team in the other division for an exhibition game and won that despite being super tired. We knew we had the potential and the ability to win the provincial championship.

When we finally met our rivals in the semi finals we got hit with some injuries. I got a soft tissue injury on my shin and couldn't walk for 3 days. One guy playing with broken ribs got knocked out. Two others broke their collar bones. We had to put our rookies on the field and we lost 33-10. It wasn't nearly as close as the previous game and the 300 people that showed up to watch were disappointed. They thought it would be a closer battle. They certainly weren't anywhere near as disappointed as we were. We built our team for 3 years with 1 goal in mind and we just fell short and peaked 1 week early. Just about every senior on the team was crying.

The following year our 17 rookies had become sophomores and couldn't compete as well as we had. With no seniors and few rookies the team has gone to shit and hasn't won a game in a few seasons.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Azteck

Nope, I never watch sports and have no emotional hooks invested in it

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tunaburn

seems kinda stupid......

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Ugh, football is so fucking bad. Listen to those commentators, it's embarrassing.

When Eddie Guerrero died I cried.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

I cried when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers let Doug Williams sign with the USFL back in the 80's. I cried when the Atlanta Braves won the World Series in '95.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By UnrealDP

Why has no one posted this yet!?!? Wresting is still a sport to me dammit!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Animasta

I thought you were talking about playing sports and, while a little weird, is still totally valid

but watching sports? really?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Must... Not... Make... Rude... Comment... About... The... Dirty... Rotten... Georide... OP........

Anyways, I've never cried over sport, but that's mostly because I'm used to relegation and general failure since I'm a Sunderland fan. Although I think if I was old enough to fully appreciate it at the time, I might have shed a tear after the play off final against Charlton 1998. That was one of the most spectacular games of football ever. Whenever they went one up, we pulled one back. Whenever we went one up, they pulled one back. The final score after extra time being 4-4. Then it was penalties, and Micky Gray missing that penalty was painful to watch. The players were working so hard, giving 100%, and they went out like that. It was dreadful.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikkaQ

No, god, no. That seems really silly. It's just a game, there aren't even any plotlines to follow. It's just nationalistic, or city-loyalty garbage.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Simplexity

I cried tears of joy when Liverpool won the CL in 2005, probably the happiest I've ever been in my life, oh how I want us to be back in the CL.

I also cried every time Liverpool lost when I was like 5 years old, which meant I cried a lot.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By oatz

I've goten emotional.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By StaticFalconar

Yeah, 1999 NFC championship game. Vikings and Falcons. Minnesota was at the 20 yard line and missed an easy fieldgoal. :(

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fajita_Jim
@Galiant said:

No, because I don't care about sports.

Same. If I'm at someones house and the game is on the tube, I'll go into the other room and hang out with the women.

Seriously, who gives a fuck if a team losses, they start at 0 again no matter what in less than a year. Crazy shit.
VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By VicRattlehead

when liverpool won the champions league in 2005 i cried... probably one of the greatest come backs ive ever seen.... 3-0 down at half time to the mighty ac millan with a team with the likes of smicer, djimi traore and baros... fantastic night

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cap123

I did in fact cry with laughter when arsenal threw that game away, yes.