Has anyone here ever been hypnotized?

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

I was just watching the Mythbusters "Mind Control" episode, and for some reason it reminded me of the time I was almost hypnotized.

When I graduated high school a little over a year ago, the parents hosted a graduation party. They hired a hypnotist to come and make us do funny things. I was one of the 20ish people who was chosen to be hypnotized. He made us stare at this glowing electricity ball and we were supposed to listen to his commands. After a while we were supposed to lose consciousness and continue obeying him. 
Well, he somehow noticed me and about 3 other people weren't being hypnotized and made us get off the stage. It's not that I was resisting or anything, I was just still fully aware of what was going on. The other people did some stupid funny things and claim they don't remember any of it. 

So what's it like being hypnotized? Does anyone know why some people can't be hypnotized? I just don't see how anyone could lose consciousness like that. I was a believer before someone tried to hypnotize me, but now I just don't believe it can happen.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

I don't believe it can happen.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By lemon360

if i could hypnotize i wouldn't be performing shows. i'd pull a yuris revenge

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By killdave

I was hypnotized once ... and woke up with a sore arse :(

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool

We had a hypnotist at a annual company conference this year and some of the things people did were just embarrassingly ludicrous.  ABout 50% of the volunteers were "hypnotised".  I couldn't be hypnotised because I refuse to believe it is real, so I wouldn't take it seriously.  I seriously doubt that those who were hypnotised were really hypnotised anyway.  I think people want it to happen and just simply go along with it in some way.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By _Phara0h_
@CL60 said:
" I don't believe it can happen. "
Then you can't be hypnotized. It's like Voodoo...
papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By papercut
Hello, I'm Hugh Bliss!
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Stage hypnosis is a myth, everyone. It does not happen, ever. Stage hypnosis relies on the mighty power of peer pressure and self-deception.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By farmer
@lemon360:
That, my good man, is a worthy cause
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By CL60
@Meowayne said:
" Stage hypnosis is a myth, everyone. It does not happen, ever. Stage hypnosis relies on the mighty power of peer pressure and self-deception. "
This.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By oldschool
@CL60 said:
" @Meowayne said:
" Stage hypnosis is a myth, everyone. It does not happen, ever. Stage hypnosis relies on the mighty power of peer pressure and self-deception. "
This. "
Which was also my point:
I seriously doubt that those who were hypnotised were really hypnotised anyway.  I think people want it to happen and just simply go along with it in some way.
I will always be a sceptic.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By tekmojo

It's bullshit. But it's funny when disfunctional people tell stories about having been hynoptized, I just laugh along, but inside I'm laughing at them.

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Phara0h_

The hole point of Hypnotism is getting peoples their guard down and so relaxed that they switch off the rational part of the brain. Now he is talking to your unconscious or more the creative part of your brain. Then he gives commands so your creative part of the brain can do something with and you will fallow. The problem with hypnotism is that it depends on how creative you are, you lack imagination or your rational mind is just to strong then it wont work.

@oldschool said:

I think people want it to happen and just simply go along with it in some way. "
Your right in saying that it's your rational part of the brain that is a sleep so that part of the brain is your police man but he is never fully a sleep because you couldn't tell a person in a hypnotic state to kill some one, without making a elaborate illusion of danger. What I'm trying to say it's all about boundaries and not able to see them, but some boundaries are set.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Red12b

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Drebin_893

I remember that episode, it was properly phenomenal.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By dbz1995

My mind has been blown.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArchScabby

your all idiots, people can actually be hypnotized.  In my high school AP Psychology class they would bring in a hypnotist to hypnotise people in the class.  To get hypnotized you have to be willing to let it happen.  It's not like the movies, you can't hypnotize anyone who doesn't want to be hypnotized.  But if you're willing to let it happen then it will.

wow, I never thought I would say the word hypnotist so much in 5 sentences.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NoDeath
@Red12b said:
"

"
I think if I made my career around cars and realised I suddenly couldn't drive one, I would be WAY more freaked out than he was.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

Hypnotism is definitely real, but it requires a willing mind. If you're not going to give in, it's not going to happen.

Focus plays a key role in hypnosis. Have you ever been so fixated on a task that you don't notice what's happening around you? For instance, playing a video game and not noticing someone walk in the room.

Inhibition is the other key to hypnosis. We analyze, hesitate and rationalize our actions. "Should I really do this? Probably not. I could get hurt." If this thought process was bypassed, you could accept something without thinking it over.

Suggestion is the final key, which only works when the hypnotist has your absolute focus to bypass any inhibition you might have against the suggestion. That's all it is and it does in fact work. It's really simple and actually quite logical.

A simple example of a hypnotic suggestion that could work: A person with a fear of swimming could be hypnotized to no longer have that fear. The fear happens when they think about all the ways they could die in the water. If they were to be hypnotized, being absolutely focused and willing to accept the suggestion that it's impossible for them to die in water, when they are awakened from the trance they would have no fear swimming. The suggestion has bypassed all of their mental barriers and is now deeply ingrained in their mind as the truth.

To the first person that says, "that sounds like brainwashing", well duh. :P

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

no, but if i ever do get hypnotized, i hope something like this happens to me. 

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Its real,but i have not.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By slinky6

If it requires a "willing mind," then it's not real.   It's people deluding themselves.   Here's a hint: you know for sure something's bullshit when part of the requirements for it working is "believing really hard."   That's fairytale shit and it's appalling how many adults buy into it.

JonChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JonChase
Hypnosis obviously exists, people experience it. It doesn't exist in the way a brick or a computer does it exists in the way any mental state and process does.

Hypnosis does not reqiure willing particiapation. It actually doesn't require voluntary or deliberate participation at all.

Not everyone can be hypnotised in exactly the same way that not everyone can hear when they are out of tune or have the balance to wire walk between the sides of the grand canyon. 

There really are a load of myths about the subject and I've been working in this field now for three decades and still less is known about this state and process than is known about Yak farming.

Guess we hypnotists need to improve our marketing.

Jonathan Chase - hypnotist
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@TwoOneFive: That's a wicked video. I'd be scared shitless too.
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By delta_ass

Just once. Megan Fox over the hood in Transformers.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
@Delta_Ass said:
" Just once. Megan Fox over the hood in Transformers. "

No Caption Provided
crusader8463

Forum Posts