Help me decide which phone to get

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'm looking to get a new smartphone with Sprint. I'm looking at two phones; the Samsung Galaxy SIII and HTC 4G LTE. I have relatives that own the Galaxy, and they say it's a good phone, but the HTC phone is looking just as good. I'm getting it in less than a week, and any advice/experiences involving these phones would be appreciated!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

iPhone 4S.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By damnboyadvance

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Out of the question. I considered it, but Android looks so much more appealing than iOS. Also, I already own an iPod Touch, so I don't see any real benefit in also owning an iPhone.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SexyToad

I was going to say iPhone 4s as well. But it's your decision. But I love my phone. There's so much you could do with it. Plus if jail broken it can do so much more. I have a triforce instead of At&t.; Anyways from looking up the HTC evo 4g I can say it sounds pretty awesome. But once again I'll go with IPhone.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By zidd

Have you considered the galaxy nexus on sprint? Its still the most supported phone on the carrier.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Samsung Galaxy

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

Samsung Galaxy SIII. I have enjoyed the Galaxy SII for quite some time, and it is amazing. I'm sure the Galaxy SIII is a rather impressive phone, as its predecessor is fantastic and versatile.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Karmum

Between those two, Galaxy SIII. My brother has one and he loves it. Just picked up an unlocked Galaxy Nexus about a week ago and it's fantastic on T-Mobile. I considered getting an unlocked SIII, but the price point of the Galaxy Nexus at $350 and the fact that the NA version is dual-core made it pointless to choose it over the Galaxy Nexus and sacrifice so much more money and whatever the hell Samsung tacks onto Android. I also know I could have picked up the international version for around the same price.

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By monstersnsoup

They're pretty similar phones in terms of performance. I'd say the Galaxy, but they're but really nice phones

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas

Windows 8 phone.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrockNRolla

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Out of the question. I considered it, but Android looks so much more appealing than iOS. Also, I already own an iPod Touch, so I don't see any real benefit in also owning an iPhone.

But it's the right answer...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

Have you looked into the default applications included with each phone? Being Android, most of the default apps can be easily and seamlessly replaced, but it's even better when they already work the way you want them.

@SexyToad said:

I was going to say iPhone 4s as well. But it's your decision. But I love my phone. There's so much you could do with it. Plus if jail broken it can do so much more. I have a triforce instead of At&t.; Anyways from looking up the HTC evo 4g I can say it sounds pretty awesome. But once again I'll go with IPhone.

The equivalent of jailbreaking on Android is rooting. And you don't even have to root if you just want to install "non-Market apps".

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SexyToad

I knew about rooting but I didnt know that you don't even have to root to install not market apps

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an Evo and I love it.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#15  Edited By ManMadeGod

@handlas said:

Windows 8 phone.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Samsung make much better phones than HTC in terms of quality, so I'd get the SIII and immediately install Cyanogen.

Personally, I'm hanging out for Windows Phone 8. I had an iPhone, and I can honestly say I don't ever want another one. I also am hoping the Surface will be good enough to work on that I can get rid of my iPad; if not, I'll be picking up an android tab next year.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Go with the Galaxy S3. Either that, or the slightly older but always supported Galaxy Nexus. With Jelly Bean already on it, it's just as fast as the Galaxy S3.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vodun

@damnboyadvance: I prefer HTC Sense over Samsung's TouchWiz (their mockeries of the Android OS), but they're both pretty crap in my mind. If possible I would go for a Nexus phone which gives you the pure Android experience.

But if your mind is made up to just consider those two, I would probably recommend the Samsung. Even though I hate their version of the OS, it still feels like a better phone from what I've seen. Also, like said, Cyanogen is a good option for a better OS if you can't have proper Android, but it requires a bit of work.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zella

I would say go with Samsung SIII, though would add the Galaxy Nexus as a better option. Yes it's less powerful but it has none of the shitty bloatware and skins put on by HTC/Samsung and since it's the current flagship phone it already has Jellybean and is supported really well by Google.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ze_ro

Galaxy S3, best phone on the market.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By swoxx

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Sooty

@BrockNRolla said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Not really, Android (4.0 onwards, but especially Jelly Bean) is a better OS than iOS is, by a long shot and iOS 6 doesn't really change that. (I say this as a future iPhone 5 buyer and iPad 3 owner - running iOS 6 beta on that) It just depends how important games are to you as iOS is way better in that department. The reason I'm buying an iPhone 5 is because then my phone, Mac and iPad will all be in perfect sync, but I'm going to re-consider that if the battery still sucks. A lot of people don't seem to understand how vastly superior Android notifications are as well as the superior keyboard options and usefulness of widgets, widgets are amazing. I hope nobody brings up the fragmentation argument because that is irrelevant if you buy Nexus devices, which you probably should be doing as they are the pedigree.

and it would be dumb to buy an iPhone 4S now when the new one comes out in September/October which is meant to be a redesign. Also the battery on the iPhone 4S is pretty terrible, no shortage of complaints about it especially from Tested's own Smith and Chan.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By billyhoush

Such an odd time. I would wait until October when a lot of the new phones come out for back to school and holiday season.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zella

@Sooty said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Not really, Android (4.0 onwards, but especially Jelly Bean) is a better OS than iOS is, by a long shot and iOS 6 doesn't change anything. (I say this as a future iPhone 5 buyer and iPad 3 owner) It just depends how important games are to you as iOS is way better in that department. I hope nobody brings up the fragmentation argument because that is irrelevant if you buy Nexus devices, which you probably should be doing as they are the pedigree.

and it would be dumb to buy an iPhone 4S now when the new one comes out in September/October which is meant to be a redesign. Also the battery on the iPhone 4S is pretty terrible, no shortage of complaints about it especially from Tested's own Smith and Chan.

Gaming is getting better on Android too, it's just taken a while to gain momentum. Pretty much all the big name games(except for Infinity Blade) are released for both platforms, and some are even cross-compatible.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By rynbeed

If your looking for an android phone, get a nexus. We are about half way through the life span of Samsungs Galaxy Nexus, but the phone is great. Update OS and get the 2100 battery and you'll be sset

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MegaLombax

I'm personally waiting to see what Apple has to offer for their latest smart phone. But if its btwn S3 and HTC Evo 4g, I'd say go for S3.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bell_End

@Zella said:

@Sooty said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Not really, Android (4.0 onwards, but especially Jelly Bean) is a better OS than iOS is, by a long shot and iOS 6 doesn't change anything. (I say this as a future iPhone 5 buyer and iPad 3 owner) It just depends how important games are to you as iOS is way better in that department. I hope nobody brings up the fragmentation argument because that is irrelevant if you buy Nexus devices, which you probably should be doing as they are the pedigree.

Gaming is getting better on Android too, it's just taken a while to gain momentum. Pretty much all the big name games(except for Infinity Blade) are released for both platforms, and some are even cross-compatible.

whats better about it?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zella

@Bell_End said:

@Zella said:

@Sooty said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

whats better about it?

Well a year or two ago there really weren't any games that weren't casual stuff or crazy pervert apps. Now there are games like Shadowgun and NBA Jam that have a degree of depth and high production values. Just to clarify I am saying gaming on the android platform has gotten better than what it was, not that it is better than IOS gaming.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By krazy_kyle

I got the galaxy note and i love everything about the phone itself but the android ios im not a big fan of, sure apple are more expensive but I think iOS is much better suited for a mobile phone than android

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Baillie

Do you Love Evo? Well, WITNESS THE UNRIVALED POWER OF THE NEW HTC EVO 4G LTE ONLY FROM SPRINT. Giant Bomb recommended.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By ikwal

I'd go for the Galaxy SIII. I've had mine for a couple of months and I'm really satisfied with it, it's thin, light, feel solid and super fast. And because it's so popular it's highly likely that Samsung will continue to bring out updates for it for a longer time than on most android phones.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By AssInAss

I'm in a similar situation, I want S3 but which is the fastest phone?

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By buft

@Baillie said:

Do you Love Evo? Well, WITNESS THE UNRIVALED POWER OF THE NEW HTC EVO 4G LTE ONLY FROM SPRINT. Giant Bomb recommended.

i was just about to say that

BoomBlasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By BoomBlasta

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By zidd

@Wallzii said:

S3 > iPhone.

Also, Jelly Bean is right around the corner for the Samsung Galaxy Note, S2, and S3.

with its track record of updating the original galaxy s phones to gingerbread JB will be available on those phones some time in late 2013...

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By damnboyadvance

Well, I went ahead and decided to get the Galaxy SIII. The design of the HTC phone was better, but the Galaxy seems like it will last a lot longer, considering that it's battery is replaceable and it has an extra GB of RAM.

The phone works great, and I haven't had any problems with it thus far. Thanks to everyone who gave their advice!

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Hizang

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Trade in your iPod Touch and get an iPhone 4S, you will thank me later.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By damnboyadvance

@AssInAss said:

I'm in a similar situation, I want S3 but which is the fastest phone?

Neither is really faster than the other. Both have the same processor, and the only difference in hardware is the 2 GB of RAM for the Galaxy, compared to 1 GB for the HTC.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By damnboyadvance

@Hizang said:

@damnboyadvance said:

@laserbolts said:

iPhone 4S.

Trade in your iPod Touch and get an iPhone 4S, you will thank me later.

Already bought the Android, and I have no regrets thus far.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@ManMadeGod said:

@handlas said:

Windows 8 phone.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I'm not real knowledgeable about Android but the Tested guys always say if you're gonna go that rout get a Nexus otherwise you have to put up with the garbage manufacturers put overtop of it. Also you're guaranteed to actually get the updates when they're released.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@TheSouthernDandy said:

I'm not real knowledgeable about Android but the Tested guys always say if you're gonna go that rout get a Nexus otherwise you have to put up with the garbage manufacturers put overtop of it. Also you're guaranteed to actually get the updates when they're released.

Well, he already bought the Galaxy S3. But seeing as it is the flagship Samsung phone, it will definitely be supported for quite a while. Also, while most of the UIs manufacturers put over the Android OS are a little too much, Samsung's TouchWiz is actually pretty good.

Johnnboy2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Johnnboy2000

I wouldn't go with sprint their 4g is using WiMAX which is a lot slower then LTE and the LTE they might have it not everywhere, and most unlimited plans are not unlimited they throttle you around 2 GB of Data usage. If you want the faster LTE with the most LTE coverage it verizion there LTE download rate is about 21.0 mbps( megabytes per second) which is ridiculous. I like both the s3 and htc phones but if you want the latest tech in you phone the s3 would have it. Dual core 1.5 GHz Processor, nearfield communication for wireless sinking and l a lot more. iPhone's ok but your right if you have a iPod Touch you have the best part of the iPhone, the part without the phone . Keep in mind all current versions of the iPhone are only 3G. I have both iPhone and a droid raza I never use the iPhone to make calls and I only use it for music. If you want to look at and compare different phones go to www.phonescoop.com they have a lot of good reviews and detailed spec sheets on any cell phone you can think of .they will even do a side by side spec comparison. I sell cell phone for a living and I use that site all the time.

Max422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Max422

HTC Evo 4G, I haven't used Samsung Galaxy yet, but I used other Samsung cellphone before, it's good at voice quality but the system sucks.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By aleryn

I hear nothing but good about the Galaxy series. Just get that over the HTC.