How is David Wong keeping his job at cracked? Seriously?

• 62 results
Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/ 

If you were wondering, this guy is a good writer. However, when it comes to videogames he is quite possibly a bigger dumbass about it than Roger Ebert about the medium. (Not joking in the slightest.) Literally every other word out of the guys mouth is gloom and doom and is the biggest cynical editor they have, He isn't funny and he has no facts at all. Just how the fuck does a guy like this get a job? Hell, you know it's pretty obvious that the guy doesn't have a clue about videogames when the entire comment section hates the article. (A couple comments listed below.)  

" And the verdict is in. David Wong hates FPS`, confuses sequels with continuations-of-story, (Mass Effect), thinks the videogame sky is falling every couple of years, really needs to stop mentioning his damned book and should probably quit playing videogames, (if he hasn`t already). It`s getting old, dude. "  

" Wow, if we look at all the military shooters coming out in a single year, and take a screenshot while all doing the same thing, they'll look similar.... who knew?

This article is bad and you should feel bad for writing it.  "

Sorry for black text guys. I don't know how to change that stuff. But yeah, the comments are FILLED with stuff like this, and this freaking colum is EXACTLY the same as all the other ones the guy has made. I am not fucking joking. check out his E3 predictions and you can tell this guy is just a feeble old man that isn't smart enough to review any medium. much less videogames. While also being the most unfunny bastard alive. (Which cracked hates, most of their good stuff is funnier than hell.) Hell, even the guy who writes bad fanfiction about mass effect with explicit details on asari anatomy are better, and funnier than this guys crap.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By oatz

How does Cracked still exist? 

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe leave your thoughts on a cracked article and the comments on a cracked article in the comments section of said cracked article 

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not a fan then I take it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The site is literally nothing but lists, I wouldn't take it very seriously. They certainly don't seem to.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

@oatz said:

Lists means hits and more pages to put ads on. Hits+more ads=Profit!

So basically, because Digg like lists.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By beforet

@billnyethesciencepie said:

What is Cracked, first of all?

It's a comedy site based on lists. Like, top 10 ten weirdest weapons of World War I.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueduck

I agree with a lot of whats he's saying and the comments are just full of fan boy butt hurt.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Chummy8

Lol, are you saying that Mass Effect 2 is not a sequel to Mass Effect; but merely a continuation of the story? 

Dude, that's the definition of a sequel. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

I kinda enjoyed this clip that was in that article.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By elcalavera

You know what, I think he is largely right in what he's saying. Gaming is sort of crap at the moment, in some regards at least.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jay444111
@blueduck said:

I agree with a lot of whats he's saying and the comments are just full of fan boy butt hurt.

Not really considering the fact that he has made the same exact list 3 fucking times in a row now for the past 5 fucking years. No joke. The guy is a butthurt old man that misses old mario games, nothing else. Why he has a job writing articles is beyond me since he has been shown to be incapable of doing even that.
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaggE

He makes some good points and some incredibly stupid points, but he wrote John Dies at the End, so he gets a "get out of shame free" card from me. :P

suckafree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suckafree

um yeah dude, not everybody commenting on the article hated it.

i actually agree somewhat with what he said.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blueduck
@Jay444111 said:

@blueduck said:

Not really considering the fact that he has made the same exact list 3 fucking times in a row now for the past 5 fucking years. No joke. The guy is a butthurt old man that misses old mario games, nothing else. Why he has a job writing articles is beyond me since he has been shown to be incapable of doing even that.
What points do you feel are the most out of line?
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By time allen

a few of the things he said i'd actually agree with but he probably should done some research first. he completely neglected all the good things that are happening with games.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aronman789

Because when I go and rant about something I found on the internet that I didn't like, everyone agrees with me and hails me as a genius, right? 

Duder actually makes some good points in the article, and most of the comments are trash.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

@rebgav said:

Let us take this cracked.com article very seriously. It could be important.

@drag said:

maybe leave your thoughts on a cracked article and the comments on a cracked article in the comments section of said cracked article

Heh.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Best part.

He's right.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iam3green

pretty funny. iron site is the new things in games. it was introduced and then everyone is taking it. security measures do suck though, like what he said.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jay444111
@ShaggE said:
He makes some good points and some incredibly stupid points, but he wrote John Dies at the End, so he gets a "get out of shame free" card from me. :P
I think that puts him in a more responsible position and shouldn't be a dumbass in public such as his article. It just shows how much he does not care for the industry and is, in all regards, shouldn't talk about it because he doesn't understand it at all. here is a list of why this guy is bullshit from me. 

6, gaming is not de-evolving, it is trying to figure out what works for future reference when it comes to virtual reality, that is what all these motion devices are fucking for. virtual reality is a thing gamers dream about. and that devs are experimenting with on motion control devices, overall, the wii sucks, but in terms of Ipad developments they defienitly know what they are doing with augmented reality. 

5, GOG and Steam. that is all on DRM services. they are quickly dying out in favor of what those two sites are doing. again, this guy is out of his freaking mind if he thinks all PC gaming is, is DRM.  Although I do think hackers should get capital punishment charges. now, hacking just to make fun of someone by posting a funny picture is funny, but when you hack something and threaten a developer you should get your fingers chopped off for  doing that shit. That way it becomes impossible to hack shit ever again so we all don't have to worry about dumbasses getting our bank numbers and using them to threaten devs. We need to make examples. NOW. 

4, Like people will subscribe to COD? Good luck, once the game has come out for 3 months and mothers and fathers find out their sons are baying 10 bucks a month to play a fucking videogame it is going to stop quick. 

3, So... Franchises that are heavily creative are bad all of a sudden when they get a sequal?????? Also that with all the writers and designers that devs hire they are uncreative anyways????? My God is that guy a moron. 

2, The main reason there is no vision of a future is because it is advancing so damn fast that you cannot tell where the hell it is going A MONTH LATER. We went from the cellphone to the Ipad within 2 fucking years. I think that just shows how much things change within the industry. 

1, If it is interactive, it is a fucking game... that simple enough David Wong?
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah it's a lot of bitching, but whatever, you don't have to listen to the guy.

I like taking a less cynical approach to games and shit, I'm cynical enough when it comes to world affairs and politics, there's only so much misery one can wallow in.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jay444111
@Toms115 said:
a few of the things he said i'd actually agree with but he probably should done some research first. he completely neglected all the good things that are happening with games.
Every point he made is EASILY destroyed within logic when you just take a ten second glance at the good of videogames and what they are doing. That is why this guy sucks as an editor.
Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Getz

Comparing him to Roger Ebert is exaggeration to the point of absurdity. Also, calling him a good writer as well as not smart enough to "review any medium" is contradictory. Being good with language and having insight in to things is directly linked to intelligence level. For example, your post isn't really doing you any favors.

I think David Wong is hilarious, not a journalist. He makes funny lists on a humor site; this article is funny (my opinion). I'd say he's doing what he's paid to do.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Jay444111: This is the second time I've seen his article linked here. That may be part of how he keeps his job.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hot_Karl
@oatz said:
Booo
Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Khadyn

Only part caught my attention:

Granny: Did you just call me an "Ass Cunt"?

Grandchild: Just play the fucking game, noob.

Yeah, that was a horrible article....

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DystopiaX

@Jay444111 said:

@ShaggE said:
I think that puts him in a more responsible position and shouldn't be a dumbass in public such as his article. It just shows how much he does not care for the industry and is, in all regards, shouldn't talk about it because he doesn't understand it at all. here is a list of why this guy is bullshit from me. 6, gaming is not de-evolving, it is trying to figure out what works for future reference when it comes to virtual reality, that is what all these motion devices are fucking for. virtual reality is a thing gamers dream about. and that devs are experimenting with on motion control devices, overall, the wii sucks, but in terms of Ipad developments they defienitly know what they are doing with augmented reality. 5, GOG and Steam. that is all on DRM services. they are quickly dying out in favor of what those two sites are doing. again, this guy is out of his freaking mind if he thinks all PC gaming is, is DRM. Although I do think hackers should get capital punishment charges. now, hacking just to make fun of someone by posting a funny picture is funny, but when you hack something and threaten a developer you should get your fingers chopped off for doing that shit. That way it becomes impossible to hack shit ever again so we all don't have to worry about dumbasses getting our bank numbers and using them to threaten devs. We need to make examples. NOW. 4, Like people will subscribe to COD? Good luck, once the game has come out for 3 months and mothers and fathers find out their sons are baying 10 bucks a month to play a fucking videogame it is going to stop quick. 3, So... Franchises that are heavily creative are bad all of a sudden when they get a sequal?????? Also that with all the writers and designers that devs hire they are uncreative anyways????? My God is that guy a moron. 2, The main reason there is no vision of a future is because it is advancing so damn fast that you cannot tell where the hell it is going A MONTH LATER. We went from the cellphone to the Ipad within 2 fucking years. I think that just shows how much things change within the industry. 1, If it is interactive, it is a fucking game... that simple enough David Wong?

I agreed with you until you said people won't buy the CoD elite subscription...tons of people will, if you think they won't you're deluded. If you think most people who play CoD have to answer to their mothers and fathers, you're also deluded. As popular as the "13 year old boy" meme is regarding CoD, it's just not true. Cell phone to ipad is not an evolution of technology...those are two separate markets. 1. is something that if I had all the time in the world I'd argue it with you...but I don't so I won't. I also agree with his view that there's no vision of a future...whether or not it's doom and gloom at this point is unclear, but I see no clear "future" for FPS. Right now everyone's making more CoD/what they used to (in halo/BF's case) and I have yet to see something as game changing as CoD4. Don't know if it's doom and gloom yet but to say there's no vision of a future isn't entirely inaccurate, and it's not cause we "move at a fast pace". It's been what? 3/4 years since CoD4? And people are still basically doing the same thing? doesn't seem so quick to me.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By GreggD

Cracked is the reason that when I saw the flamethrower bit in Assassin's Creed: Revelations, I knew it wasn't bullshit.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Beforet said:

@billnyethesciencepie said:

What is Cracked, first of all?

It's a comedy site based on lists. Like, top 10 ten weirdest weapons of World War I.

Was turtle cannon number one? 

Was it even a weapon in WWI? 
niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By niall_sg1

I like lists. What's not to like about lists. I mean, they're lists. 

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Oh look. A ridiculous article from Jay444111. Never would have guessed.

valiom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By valiom

There is more whining and complaining from the OP in this thread then the entirety of that cracked article.  Contrary to popular belief, freedom of speech is a thing in the developed world . That guy over at cracked is allowed to write about his views if he so sees fit. I didn't agree with everything he said, but he made some points. Try reading articles not as a fan boy once in awhile and see the good and bad in what people are saying.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I like the part where he says L.A. Noire and Farmville aren't real games.

I wish I could get paid to write complete bull shit.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By ReyGitano

He keeps his job because people read what he writes, that's all.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By slantedwindows

i read the article. you're insisting that your opinion is better and more correct than his, which is a stupid assessment to begin with. that said, some of his points are very valid.  

stop crying.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hairydutchman

I think it's a good article, especially the bit about creative bankruptcy.

Give me something different then Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet Vita or Mario Kart 3DS. I want more fresh games like Journey (can't even think of another original game at E3).

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slaker117
@slantedwindows said:
i read the article. you're insisting that your opinion is better and more correct than his, which is a stupid assessment to begin with. that said, some of his points are very valid.   stop crying.
This, but with more capitalization.
evilCON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By evilCON

David Wong has a way with (bad) words when it comes to video games and for some reason these are my favourite of his articles. I also have an ill attraction to lists, so I check Cracked often.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@oatz said:

my question too I thought they had died years ago...I was surprised when I heard of this I was like cracked is still around?
RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RazielCuts
@oatz said:
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bones8677
@blueduck said:
I agree, David Wong is making a lot of sense in that article.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hatking

The market is becoming saturated with similar looking and feeling shooters.  I'm saying this and that doesn't mean I hate all FPS games.  I only play a few a year and generally only pick the mildly creative ones (i.e.: I avoid military FPS games like the plague).

evilCON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By evilCON
@WilliamRLBaker: the magazine went out of print some time ago. They tried to start printing the magazine again, but failed miserably after the first issue. They scraped the whole idea of magazine and turned Cracked into a website and it's been running like this since.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#48  Edited By Claude

I thought it was a great article. There's always a little truth in humor.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jay444111
@Hairydutchman said:
I think it's a good article, especially the bit about creative bankruptcy.   Give me something different then Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Little Big Planet Vita or Mario Kart 3DS. I want more fresh games like Journey (can't even think of another original game at E3).
El shaddia is coming out, besides, most of the creative games weren't at E3. Also, why is it that a sequal=uncreative, just look at assassins creed 2! it did what the first game was supposed to and did so amazingly, is it uncreative? Or just as creative as the last game? Why is it that people DEMAND sequal means bad? When in reality it isn't, Hell, dead space 2 is a thousand times greater than the first game. Also having a great story helps out. 

Again, SOME people agree with him just because of how cynical they are. When I could literally blow holes all through the arguements that David Wong has made easily.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By JasonR86
@Jay444111

I didn't even know what cracked was until I clicked on the link.  I certainly don't agree with him on many of his points and I think he is being overly dramatic but I don't think he should lose his job because his opinion might not be popular with everyone.