How many of you young men on here know how to change a tire?

Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Austin

Lol, a public speaker was at our highschool today and asked us this question and out of a school of over 2,000 kids I'd estimate that only 30 boys raised their hands!:O

Also, how many of you at least know how to change the oil?

Sadly, I don't know how to do any of these things.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I know how to change the oil, and helped change a tire once, but I doubt I could do the latter again without some help.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By jakob187

My dad is a grease monkey and a trade carpenter.  I can change a tire, a motor, and build the side panels for a Woody in a day.  = D

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Systech

Uh... No. Not into motor vechicles so much.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Rowr

Childs play.

Changing a truck tire, now that takes a little bit more work.

Srsly tho, the bigger hurdle is people having the confidence to do it i think. Anybody with some sense can work it out.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

The basic concept of changing a tire is easy.  When I was young my dad replaced a tire with a spare.

It seems that it's very rare that you actually need to do this.  Most tires will run when 'flat' for longer than they used to.  You take it to a service place to get the tire replaced because you need to buy a new tire (or more often sets because of balance) anyways.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By RichardLOlson
Changeing a tire and the oil is really easy and at least every person (guy and girl) should know how to do so.  I know a lot of people don't know how to.  But in the case of being stranded in a rual area of town where there are a lot of "druggies" and "gang bangers", these people need to know how to do these things. 
Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Duke_Lion

I know how to do both.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar

Ironically, both of these things are easy enough to do that you can even youtube up tutorial videos on how to do both. Howvever unless I find myself living in a place where there isn't a local garage or towtruck easily accessible, it'll forever be on my list of shit I should get to but will not unless I have to.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By m1k3

Yup i know how to change a tire (i just rotated my tires a few days ago) and change motor oil and tranny fluid.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By teptom

I can change a tire. I can't change my oil.  I plan on moving somewhere I can walk, take a taxi, take the bus, or  hop on a subway to get where I'm going.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
Shini4444 said:
"I can change a tire. I can't change my oil.  I plan on moving somewhere I can walk, take a taxi, take the bus, or  hop on a subway to get where I'm going."
Watch the movie "Midnight Meat Train" and you might consider other options.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I'm a woman and I theoretically know how to  change a tire and the oil. I've never had to try, but I think I might be able to. It never hurts to know if there is no one to help out.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

My uncle taught me how to change a tyre the first time he took me out for a driving lesson. I believe that how to change a tyre, care for you engine and how to safely fill a tank of fuel (plus forecourt etiquette) should be taught as a part of getting a license. Too many people dont just act like tools on the road but in car parks and service stations as well.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By teptom
jakob187 said:
"Shini4444 said:
"I can change a tire. I can't change my oil.  I plan on moving somewhere I can walk, take a taxi, take the bus, or  hop on a subway to get where I'm going."
Watch the movie "Midnight Meat Train" and you might consider other options."

Chauffeur?
HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HairyMike87

I've rotated tires. So basically, I can take off the tires and put them on. So I can change a tire.

Avatar image for toxicenchiliada
toxicEnchiliada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toxicEnchiliada

I can change tires but not change the oil

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
Shini4444 said:
"jakob187 said:
"Shini4444 said:
Watch the movie "Midnight Meat Train" and you might consider other options."

Chauffeur?"
Probably a good idea...but get a thorough background check...and make sure she's hot.  You never know if she'll wanna ride in the backseat sometime.  giggity giggity
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By AndrewGaspar
c1337us said:
"My uncle taught me how to change a tyre the first time he took me out for a driving lesson. I believe that how to change a tyre, care for you engine and how to safely fill a tank of fuel (plus forecourt etiquette) should be taught as a part of getting a license. Too many people dont just act like tools on the road but in car parks and service stations as well."
I think being able to spell the word tire correctly is important too... Not really, but how did you spell tire wrong with it spelled in both the title of the thread and in every post succeeding it?
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike
AndrewGaspar said:
"c1337us said:
"My uncle taught me how to change a tyre the first time he took me out for a driving lesson. I believe that how to change a tyre, care for you engine and how to safely fill a tank of fuel (plus forecourt etiquette) should be taught as a part of getting a license. Too many people dont just act like tools on the road but in car parks and service stations as well."
I think being able to spell the word tire correctly is important too... Not really, but how did you spell tire wrong with it spelled in both the title of the thread and in every post succeeding it?"
Tyre is how the British spell tire - it's not wrong.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
Roger_Klotz said:
"Yes, I do. I'm not even going into a story I have about changing my tire. All I can say is, there was a concert, my tire was flat and the only gas station near by had no working air pump. And I was 200 miles away from my college."
As a wise man once said:

Dictates good?
Dictates good?

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#22  Edited By strangeling

I can do all that basic maintenance stuff.  I can even figure out how to replace parts, though I can't always figure out what parts need the replacing.

But I'm not technically considered a "young man" anymore, so I don't know if I count in this thread.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If GTA has taught me anything over the years, it's that when you get a flat tire, presumably from a police spike strip.. the ideal method is to run steady on your flat tires until you can safely get to a new car that is ripe for stealing. Pfft... changing tires... not a very safe thing to do...

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Virago

Isn't that part of your guys' DNA or something? Knowing how to play with cars...

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

TheGreatGuero said:
"If GTA has taught me anything over the years, it's that when you get a flat tire, presumably from a police spike strip.. the ideal method is to run steady on your flat tires until you can safely get to a new car that is ripe for stealing. Pfft... changing tires... not a very safe thing to do..."
Best way to deal with flat tires is to use a helicopter.
rivalbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rivalbro

I am working as a road safety person, so I know the basic stuff. It's always good to learn all simple things if you drive.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Changing a tire isn't exactly hard if you cant figure it out with the tools you get in the car it self...but yeah oil is easy to change too.
surfice to say i know how.

AsciiSmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AsciiSmoke

My first Giantbomb post, at it's as random as I am.

Changing a tyre:
1. Get your car onto some flat, solid ground.
2. Get jack (the lifty thing not your free-riding friend) out of boot (your trunk, not your footwear).
3. Find the jack-point under your car, will be a flat area near the outside, near the wheel you need to change.
4. Jack the car up until the tyre's just off of the ground.
5. Grab the wheel nut spanner (wrench) and attach to the first nut (you may need a locking-wheel nut key for one of the nuts).
6. Attempt to undo the nuts on your wheel until your hands are bloody and your back is killing you.
7. Jump up and down on the wrench until your body wheight loosens the nut and then try again.
8. Once all the nuts are off the wheel probably wont come off easy, I recommend kicking the tyre on alternating sides until it gets loose enough to remove.
9. Take the wheel off, replace with spare, do nuts up as tight as you can.
10. Drive, very carefully to a professional fitter to get it checked for safety and/or get your space-saver spare changed for a proper replacement.

Changing the Oil:
1. This jobs way too messy for anyone remotely technical, get a grease-monkey to do it, or better yet get your car serviced once a year and make sure the oil change is included.

AsciiSmoke

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By c1337us
MB said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"c1337us said:
I think being able to spell the word tire correctly is important too... Not really, but how did you spell tire wrong with it spelled in both the title of the thread and in every post succeeding it?"
Tyre is how the British spell tire - it's not wrong."
This is correct. In Australia we pretty much follow the British way of spelling and grammar in "proper English".
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c1337us

Oh, and we also change our flats on the left side of the road. If your changing a tyre on the right hand side the last thing you should be worrying about is a tyre :)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_

I helped change one once. I'm pretty sure I can figure it out.

I do know how to change the oil though.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Changing a the oil or a tyre is hardly rocket science. I've never owned a car or even driven a car, but I could do either of those things easily.

BothBarsOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BothBarsOn

Not only can I change a tire, I can easily get tired of change.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stanford

I can't drive, so what do you think

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hexpane

Changing a tire is probably the easiest thing to figure out on any car, as long as you have the tools for it.   Changing the oil is also very simple, albeit  very messy.  I really am no mechanic at all, but changing a tire is something anyone can learn how to do in about 5 minutes

heruer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By heruer

Yea, its enough to change a tire. To ask a normal man to do more would to bring down shame and disgrace

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I've changed a tire or two in my day. Of course.

It's just like working on a skate deck, only bigger.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HandsomeDead

No way. Changing a tire is man's work.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By dsplayer1010

I don't even have a car

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bullet_Jr
dsplayer1010 said:
"I don't even have a car"
Neither do I. I skate or bus everywhere but I at least know how to change a tire.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#41  Edited By JackiJinx

Not a young man, but I can change a tire.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

Yes I know how to fix a tire, on my bike...

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jonnyp

i got a flat once in my dads truck and it took me longer to figure out how to lower the spare from under the bed than to actually change the tire.  good thing the manual was in the glove box or i would have been on the side of the road all night.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By OGCartman

I woked at an autoshop for about a year when i was in highschool
so yea, i do :)