How to use Ad Block Plus?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I installed ABP a few days ago and it was working fine. No ads on Giant Bomb. But now I can see the ads, but I don't know how to block them. How do I block these?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

View -> Adblock Plus: Blockable Items. Select the ones you wish to block from there. Should block everything aside from the skinning of certain pages such as the background of the ODST page.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By natetodamax
@Kowbrainz: Still not working. I click on the ads I want to block and it redirects me to wherever the ad links to.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By MetalGearSunny

What's so bad about these few ads?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

" What's so bad about these few ads? "

Well, I'd like to be able to use the thing I installed. If I didn't mind the ads, I would not have installed the program.

Still can't get it to work. A moment ago all the ads were gone, but they're back now
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

Are these pop up ads or EVERY ad? Personally, I think everything looks fine but some people just don't like ads for whatever reason.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@natetodamax: Dude, that wasn't my question.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

You should subscribe to a regular program. There is an "easy filter" choice I believe under preferences that usually block most ads, including ones on the site. I have it enabled and don't see ads here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

You need to subscribe to one decent list, like this one: http://easylist.adblockplus.org/  (Using several non-related lists at once is generally not recommended)

These are my subscriptions
 These are my subscriptions
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By natetodamax

Alright, I subscribed to EasyList. Seems to be functioning now.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Ken420

Personally I disable Ad-block for sites I go on the most, such as this one.  I figure the more money from displaying ads they get for offering good content, the better.  It's not like GB is resorting to using annoying flash ads that cover the page and require you to click x.  Just sayin'.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By natetodamax
@Ken420: They only make money from the ads if you click on them, right? I never click on ads anyway
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187
@eroticfishcake said:

" Are these pop up ads or EVERY ad? Personally, I think everything looks fine but some people just don't like ads for whatever reason. "

That's because people are whiny bitches.  They wouldn't have survived in late 19th/early 20th century with radio shows.  It almost makes me curious what the numbers look like for people who hate ads vs. people who saw A Prairie Home Companion (which was an excellent movie).
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake
@jakob187 said:
" @eroticfishcake said:

" Are these pop up ads or EVERY ad? Personally, I think everything looks fine but some people just don't like ads for whatever reason. "

That's because people are whiny bitches.  They wouldn't have survived in late 19th/early 20th century with radio shows.  It almost makes me curious what the numbers look like for people who hate ads vs. people who saw A Prairie Home Companion (which was an excellent movie). "
Can't deny that. Human beings love to happy in their own misery. As do I. Was radio that saturated with advertisements? Speaking of which, I remember the BBC didn't have any news to report at all in a day so they dedicated a few hours of air time to "pleasant music". Havn't seen that movie but I'll take note of that, I'll trust your judgement on this one.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@jakob187: Yeah, it's in vogue to complain about advertising becoming more invasive but just imagine how people would react today to something like this.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463
@SuperfluousMoniker said:

" @jakob187: Yeah, it's in vogue to complain about advertising becoming more invasive but just imagine how people would react today to something like this.

"

They do do stuff like this these days. Only now when they do it they say it with sarcasm and its supposed to be funny. I cant begin to count how many shows i have seen them do it like that, "30 Rock" does it all the time, and "The Office" does it from time to time as well. My favorite one is when for no reason the table all the characters are sitting around have 4-5 different products that always have the label facing the camera no matter which angle they change to. It's on every show you just need to pay attention to it. Some can hide it better then others and some of them literally have some product on display in almost every scene.