I don't like capitalism for this reason .....

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

Well hello there people of the web . If you have read some of my other threads on this forum , you will know that i am currently studying media production at College . I love this course , Everyone on it has the same intersts as i do and the  love to make and talk about films e.t.c
However over the past couple of weeks i have hit a few flaws . Its simply is the price of the euipment i need to get to help me with the course.
Here is a example of how much i needed to spend :

1. Decent latop that can upload and edit footage : £399 (really good bargin on this one)

No Caption Provided
2. Adobe premier , Photoshop , After Effects and office : over a grand

3. A camera that has external Mic slot and records in widescreen (16:9) : £ over 600

No Caption Provided

(i bidded on this one but it went over my budget...damn)

4. TAPES ...... Cheap you may think but wait untill you need over 50 to record your assignments

No Caption Provided

And Finally ....

5. My life .....and red bull

No Caption Provided

And thats only the begging ...

So the point of this massive long thread (if you haven't click this far down becuase it involves effort) is how much a 18 year old, like me, has to spend to do this course.
Now my college is really baddly funded so we Barley have enough computers for the 30 of us on it , let alone camcorders .
Yes i know i could steal the software but that's against the forum rules so lets not go there.
So yea just had to get that of my chest .

What do you guys think ?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

Forgot to mention External Hardrives
Need 3 already and i'm only a year in to the course.

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By timay

One thing you really need to do when in school is exploit those academic discounts.   Not sure if you already picked up the adobe stuff or office but both have cheaper versions for students.  Its still horrible that you need to drop so much money.

Adobe Design Premium cs4  and  Microsoft office

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turbomonkey138
@timay: Yea i had a look at those . But its still fucking loads .
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Drebin_893

This is why you hate capitalism?

Nah, I kid. This is appalling, they make this stuff so expensive because they know Students and businesses have to have them.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By turbomonkey138
Drebin_893 said:
This is why you hate capitalism?Nah, I kid. This is appalling, they make this stuff so expensive because they know ... [more]
Adobe monopolise the Consumer market as they are cheaper than final cut . (As you have to buy a mac to run it ..lulz)
So they can charge what they wan't.

In the industry no one uses windows or adobe its all apple dominated .
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By roofy

this is not really a reason to hate capitalism.

adobe spends lots of money to develop its software which creates a high price point. That along with the built in piracy expectations raise the price extremely high. the last factor that creates the high price point is that they are aware that businesses have hugh budgets to spend on the software and will pay whatever price they chose. in reality adobe is in a great situation because they basically have an inelastic product in a shitty global economy.

if you need the adobe software just let me know i can hook you up

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

The price on Adobe products and others like it are really expensive but those same programs are used for almost anything in that industry.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turbomonkey138
roofy said:
this is not really a reason to hate capitalism.adobe spends lots of money to develop its software which creates a ... [more]
There are other reasons like how it costs apple less than 50 quid to make a macbook and they charge Over a grand for one . But lets not get into that .
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roofy
@turbomonkey138: well sorry to drag this on but you created a thread called "i dont like capitalism for this reason" which is why i came here to defend it.

the only reason apple is able to get away with the so called "apple tax" is because consumers rarely fight for their rights anymore. its a simple issue of supply and demand. if apple decides to sell their computers for what they are worth compared to PC the market would be flooded and the value of their products would drop. if they keep it as a luxury item but within peoples reach they maintain the balance or equilibrium price and get away with raping the average mac whore (who use computers as a fashion statement)
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138
roofy said:
@turbomonkey138: well sorry to drag this on but you created a thread called "i dont like capitalism for this reason" ... [more]
Lol yea i know what you mean . Average mac user sits in starbucks writing screenplays
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RetroIce4

I got my methods. YEAH NICCA! Fuck Capitalism... ALL ANARCHY! (J/k...)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crunchUK

capitalism is great if you're rich, not so great if you're poor. HA you poor piece of shit, get back into your hovel

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turbomonkey138
RetroIce4 said:
I got my methods. YEAH NICCA! Fuck Capitalism... ALL ANARCHY! (J/k...)
Nah i like some aspects of capitalism . Just not the exploiting people part
brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By brainwins

1.- Laptop? For film editing? Really?
2.- That´s why there are student editions. And when you become a professional your job will give you the software.
3.- Your school surely gives you one for assignments and all that. When you graduate you can rent them for pretty good prices.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By turbomonkey138
brainwins said:
1.- Laptop? For film editing? Really?2.- That´s why there are student editions. And when you become a professional your job ... [more]
1. yes its portable
2.I know
3.No they don't i said why if you bothered to read
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By cinemandrew
@turbomonkey138: As someone who's been through film school, and does video/film work daily, I absolutely feel your pain. The trick is getting someone else to pay for that stuff. It doesn't really work when you're in school, but if you're working for someone else it does. In the end you just need to think of it as an investment. I have thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but I use it all the time. The more stuff you have the easier it will be to get work outside of college. Say you want to go into videography/cinematography. Most low budget productions are looking for someone with equipment already. If they have a choice between 2 guys, one with a little more experience, and one with all the equipment, they'll probably pick the dude with the equipment every time. Eventually you'll even be able to charge extra for the equipment. So just make sure you get equipment that's going to last you, and you'll be able to use after school as well. It's nice to have your own equipment anyway, so you don't have to worry about messing up, or figuring out someone else's stuff. Sure I haven't been able to make a ton of money from my equipment yet, but I also know that if a band needs a music video, or I want to go shoot a short film, or whatever, I've got most of the gear I need up front.
Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Otacon

I've never got why adobe software is so expensive.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138
cinemandrew said:
@turbomonkey138: As someone who's been through film school, and does video/film work daily, I absolutely feel your pain. The trick ... [more]
Freelance dude respect . Probably the best answer to my question.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138
Otacon said:
I've never got why adobe software is so expensive.
Piracy and they have a monopoly over the consumer editing market .
brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brainwins
turbomonkey138 said:
brainwins said: 1.- Laptop? For film editing? Really?2.- That´s why there are student editions. And when you become a professional ... [more]
I thought they would have at least a few cameras. How come most of the people do their homework?
Coming from 3d school, most of us would have had a pretty hard time if the school didn´t provide hardware and software.
Good that you found an answer you liked.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138
brainwins said:
turbomonkey138 said: brainwins said: 1.- Laptop? For film editing? Really?2.- That´s why there are student editions. And when you become ... [more]
Hopefully we will be getting more funding later on next year . But its pretty rough atm
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ahriman22

*COUGH*torrents*COUGH*

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Stang

You hate capitalism because you have to spend money for school? Welcome to the real world! I will be paying off school bills for quite a while.....sadly that is just how it is.

Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pirate_republic

This isn't capitalism's fault, it's the gov'ts for not preventing monopolies. That's why adobe can charge so much, theres no competition. And competition is the basis of the capitalism ideology.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Suicrat

The government can't make a company build a video editing suite. That's just ludicrous.

This whole thread is ludicrous.

Without a semblance of capitalism, there would be no reason for video editing training, or even video for that matter.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By toowalrus

You're British, so college = high school, eh? Yeah, a high-school student trashing his government because he can't afford thousands of dollars worth of electronic equipment and energy drinks... there are hundreds of better reasons to bash our governments, this is pretty lame. (And besides, who the fuck uses film anymore?).

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ahriman22
TooWalrus said:
You're British, so college = high school, eh? Yeah, a high-school student trashing his government because he can't afford thousands ... [more]

Everything is film in the beginning idiot. Then it's converted.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thegoldencat7

Communist!

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pirate_republic
ahriman22 said:
TooWalrus said: You're British, so college = high school, eh? Yeah, a high-school student trashing his government because he can't ... [more]
Yeah, idiot. I hate idiots, don't you?
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31  Edited By Black_Rose
thegoldencat7 said:
Communist!
I lol'd
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

That's not a reason to dislike capitalism; that's just a reason to dislike the college education system.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
pirate_republic said:
This isn't capitalism's fault, it's the gov'ts for not preventing monopolies. That's why adobe can charge so much, theres no ... [more]
What? There are competitors. They just don't provide as good of a product. A monopoly doesn't exist. Adobe makes the best software, by a longshot. As such, they can charge as much as they want until people realize they are paying more than the product is worth. Right now, consumers have decided that it is worth the price they are paying. What's so evil about that?
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Try to find free Open Source software?

pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pirate_republic
lilburtonboy7489 said:
pirate_republic said: This isn't capitalism's fault, it's the gov'ts for not preventing monopolies. That's why adobe can charge so much, ... [more]
When Adobe was first starting up, it bought out lots of it's competitors, and closed them down. Now it's impossible for another company to compete because it's costs lots of money to create this software and they don't have it.

This also happened with Microsoft... it bought out quite a few companies just to shut them down. It's the gov'ts job to stop that.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By turbomonkey138
TooWalrus said:
You're British, so college = high school, eh? Yeah, a high-school student trashing his government because he can't afford thousands ... [more]
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turbomonkey138
lilburtonboy7489 said:
pirate_republic said: This isn't capitalism's fault, it's the gov'ts for not preventing monopolies. That's why adobe can charge so much, ... [more]
I could go into the issue that apple dominate the media industry with Final cut and the only people that use adobe premier are stundents or people that can't afford mac system prices . But i won't
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pirate_republic
turbomonkey138 said:
lilburtonboy7489 said: pirate_republic said: This isn't capitalism's fault, it's the gov'ts for not preventing monopolies. That's why adobe can charge ... [more]
I'm sorry to inform you, but Final Cut is only for Macs, and is therefore completely void.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By turbomonkey138
@pirate_republic: Lol have you ever used them both ? Final cut is the better system . And the mass media market only use Mac computer BECUASE of final cut . Don't try and argue with me or you will fail .
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pirate_republic
turbomonkey138 said:
@pirate_republic: Lol have you ever used them both ? Final cut is the better system . And the mass media ... [more]
No one uses Macs. No one. Therefore, no one uses Final Cut. Anyone who believes otherwise is blasphemous.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By turbomonkey138
pirate_republic said:
turbomonkey138 said: @pirate_republic: Lol have you ever used them both ? Final cut is the better system . And the ... [more]
Are you joking me . LOL thats too easy sorry i can't do it lol
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pirate_republic
turbomonkey138 said:
pirate_republic said: turbomonkey138 said: @pirate_republic: Lol have you ever used them both ? Final cut is the better system . ... [more]
Blasphemy.

EDIT: you do know I'm not being serious, right?
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By turbomonkey138

I didn't untill your second post when yousaid it was blasphamey lol