I got a ship date to Afghanistan

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

Today I received a call from my Sergeant. He told me I had an official ship-date to Afghanistan January 7 next year. The way he explained it to me was I'll be flying overseas on that day to a friendly area, and will be trained for three months before being exposed to any “hostile experiences”. After that's done, I'll be officially doing my job (Calvary Scout) early April/Late March. '

I joined the military very quickly, knowing if I thought about it too much I would talk myself out of it. I spoke with a journalist in my local area who was doing an article on why young people join the military, and I had a pretty frank answer. I basically explained my desire to get into the videogame journalism business, and explained to him the difficulty of obtaining a job. Not to mention the extreme cost of living in San Fransisco.

I come from a lower middle class family who wouldn't be able to pay for my college. My dad lost his job, and my mother makes plenty of money, but not enough to cover the high rates of a four-year college. I refused to work three jobs and pay of loans until I'm 35, so my only option was the Army. I knew I wanted to major in writing, criticism, and film. Hopefully, those skills will paint an attractive resume to 1up, IGN, or, Giantbomb (I can dream)

Next he asked, why become a Scout? When speaking with my recruiter, I immediately told him I wanted nothing to do with mechanics, or paper work. I told him I'm cool with just being straight-up infantry. After a few days, he made me a deal telling me I could get a larger enlistment bonus if I wanted to be a Scout. He explained what my job would revolve around, and I was a little freaked out. Being an arrogant 17 year-old male, I said, “I'll take it!” Yeah, that was stupid, but for some reason I don't regret it. This did bump my enlistment bonus from $12,000 to $20,000. That'll be my “move to California” money.

I leave for Basic Training in July, I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Before doing that, I'm taking a trip to San Fransisco to visit some game journalist offices. I'm so stoked for that! Perhaps it was a good idea to have this extreme physical experience before I spend the rest of my life covering videogames? I'm happy to say I did manage to get a review published in a print magazine! Military Times will feature my Killzone 2 review in their next issue, not a videogame magazine, but close enough.

I feel insane for doing what I'm doing for a mere job in videogame criticism, but it's something I really want. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend who supports me, and a valuable goal that I can reach. Yes, I will listen to the Bombcast in the desert. Yes, I'll find some awesome beverage in a weird Afghan market for the good men at Giantbomb to drink.

Dear,
Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny

I'll spread the good word of Giantbomb to podcast deprived children. I'll also work for shots of alcohol.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

Today I received a call from my Sergeant. He told me I had an official ship-date to Afghanistan January 7 next year. The way he explained it to me was I'll be flying overseas on that day to a friendly area, and will be trained for three months before being exposed to any “hostile experiences”. After that's done, I'll be officially doing my job (Calvary Scout) early April/Late March. '

I joined the military very quickly, knowing if I thought about it too much I would talk myself out of it. I spoke with a journalist in my local area who was doing an article on why young people join the military, and I had a pretty frank answer. I basically explained my desire to get into the videogame journalism business, and explained to him the difficulty of obtaining a job. Not to mention the extreme cost of living in San Fransisco.

I come from a lower middle class family who wouldn't be able to pay for my college. My dad lost his job, and my mother makes plenty of money, but not enough to cover the high rates of a four-year college. I refused to work three jobs and pay of loans until I'm 35, so my only option was the Army. I knew I wanted to major in writing, criticism, and film. Hopefully, those skills will paint an attractive resume to 1up, IGN, or, Giantbomb (I can dream)

Next he asked, why become a Scout? When speaking with my recruiter, I immediately told him I wanted nothing to do with mechanics, or paper work. I told him I'm cool with just being straight-up infantry. After a few days, he made me a deal telling me I could get a larger enlistment bonus if I wanted to be a Scout. He explained what my job would revolve around, and I was a little freaked out. Being an arrogant 17 year-old male, I said, “I'll take it!” Yeah, that was stupid, but for some reason I don't regret it. This did bump my enlistment bonus from $12,000 to $20,000. That'll be my “move to California” money.

I leave for Basic Training in July, I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. Before doing that, I'm taking a trip to San Fransisco to visit some game journalist offices. I'm so stoked for that! Perhaps it was a good idea to have this extreme physical experience before I spend the rest of my life covering videogames? I'm happy to say I did manage to get a review published in a print magazine! Military Times will feature my Killzone 2 review in their next issue, not a videogame magazine, but close enough.

I feel insane for doing what I'm doing for a mere job in videogame criticism, but it's something I really want. I'm lucky to have a girlfriend who supports me, and a valuable goal that I can reach. Yes, I will listen to the Bombcast in the desert. Yes, I'll find some awesome beverage in a weird Afghan market for the good men at Giantbomb to drink.

Dear,
Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny

I'll spread the good word of Giantbomb to podcast deprived children. I'll also work for shots of alcohol.

MrSpaceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrSpaceMan

I saw some of your reviews and recommended them. They're pretty good. I real hope you get a journalism job, bro. You really deserve it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Well, good luck when it's your time to go.  My friends joined the army, but no way I would do that, fighting other men with guns is dangerous.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Goodluck matey. Just remember real life doesn't have a restart, reload or extra life system. So remember to use the cover system, conserve ammo and be aware of the enemy AI, they are a little bit more crafty and creative in real life :P

Keep us updated with what you get up too :)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EpicSteve

@Hamz

I was hoping the enemy AI was as bad as the friendly AI in RE5 :)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Good luck man!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, you sure have a story, man. I wish you luck on your venture to the Middle East, and I hope you get there and back unscathed. Your goal of video game journalism also seems reachable; that Killzone 2 review is very good. You probably had to pull a few strings to get it featured in Military Times, eh? Good for you. I hope your tour of duty is safe and fun, and your passion for video games and Giant Bomb remains strong.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EpicSteve

@RHCPfan24

I payed a man off. lol
Not really. When I was getting my medicle exam at a military base, I saw the magazine in a lobby and it mentioned they were interested in starting an entertainment column. I sent the officer in chanrge an email talking high about games, and I woul totally be cool with reviewing games for free. He emailed me back five months later saying tat was cool. Sent him a cuss-word free military action game review, and got the greenlight.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

army sounds pretty cool

My life doesn't seem to be going anywhere so I've kinda been thinking about joining the Navy or something.  But I keep putting it in the back of my head because i don't really know.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EpicSteve

@ ArchScabby

It might be a good idea. You'll also might be able to wait out this crappy hiring freeze as well. Keep in mind few jobs utilize combat, and the rest are just jobs. The National Guard might be a good idea because they do a lot of training weekends to prep you for Basic, and you're allowed to change your mind until before completing basic training (recruters leave out that detail). That's with every branch though. I always knew if game journalism just didn't work out, I always had a back-up career. Keep in mind if you're not too sure on what you want to do, most banches pay for a large amount of your college, you could feel sae just trying a major and knowing you didn't waste money on it.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaneDev

Lets hope your fingers dont get blown off

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
Hamz said:
"Goodluck matey. Just remember real life doesn't have a restart, reload or extra life system. So remember to use the cover system, conserve ammo and be aware of the enemy AI, they are a little bit more crafty and creative in real life :PKeep us updated with what you get up too :)"
Man that was funny.
I wish you the Best of Luck man.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24
EpicSteve said:
"@RHCPfan24I payed a man off. lolNot really. When I was getting my medicle exam at a military base, I saw the magazine in a lobby and it mentioned they were interested in starting an entertainment column. I sent the officer in chanrge an email talking high about games, and I woul totally be cool with reviewing games for free. He emailed me back five months later saying tat was cool. Sent him a cuss-word free military action game review, and got the greenlight. "
Sweet. Good for ya.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I know many who were in Iraq... but I wish you safety and a short stay.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Good luck man.
Shoot first and ask questions later.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Best of luck man.

MrSpaceMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrSpaceMan

I forgot to mention that a Scout is totaly badass

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Take a GRAW approach at all times and good luck.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Wolverine

Great Post! You write so well and would be a great game journalist. Thank you for serving our country during war time. It is pretty noble of you. It's to bad that you can't go to college immediately but you'll end up going sooner then you know it and when you finally get back to the states you'll have a huge adventage in the job market with military service. Good Luck!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20  Edited By giyanks22

Steve....
Thanks a million for risking your ass to protect mine.
Good luck, and God be with...
Hopefully will see u here on GB one day.