I hate Mac commercials

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By cloneslayer

I like to start by saying I love my IPod and my next laptop has a high chance of being a Macbook but the commercials just piss me off. They have the greater than thou attitude about how there products don't crash or get viruses. I don't know if they have ever used one of there own products but they crash about just as much as PCs. Yes, Macs can get viruses. Surprise! (I am talking this fact from personal experiance. My roomate has a Macbook and he usually told me when his laptop crashed.) Sure Macs are fine products but shut up Justin, you dirty hippie!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Milkman

Agreed. 

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Suicrat

A company with as small a marketshare as Apple has will do whatever it takes to increase it, marketingwise . This tends to Include cheesy time-machine gags and lies.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97

Only good thing that came out of those ads were the parodies.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cloneslayer
@Suicrat:

Do you know what percentage of the market they have? Just curious, because walk into any college classroom and you'll see tons of em'!
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Cube

I see the ads more as..'That's clever'. They don't exactly make enticing arguments to suddenly switch to Mac.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FrankCanada97

How long has apple stuck with this ad campaign, is it 3 years now?

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cloneslayer
FrankCanada97 said:
"How long has apple stuck with this ad campaign, is it 3 years now?"
Wikipedia say 3 years
Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercator

I like them and Mac users are elite.

I used PCs for probably 19 years before making the switch...I doubt I'll own a PC again.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Suicrat
Cloneslayer said:
"@Suicrat: Do you know what percentage of the market they have? Just curious, because walk into any college classroom and you'll see tons of em'!"
Yeah, but there aren't as many people on college campuses as there are in homes, offices, and government buildings.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Godwind

To be fair, windows sucks.  Every operating system is better than Windows.  I am not going to go about tell anyone "Hey switch to some other operating systems" because some people aren't going to give two shits.  However, anyone who uses computers frequently should really consider switching to another platform.  Although any person who goes out to tell me that "Windows is the best thing ever" has got Microsoft's dick mounted in their mouth.

Macs have a lot of premium features built into them but they are expensive.  A nice alternative is Free BSD.
I would also recommend trying out Linux and Solaris.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Macs can get viruses? Ha! 

And on there own, Macs hardly ever crash. They usually crash once programs are added such as Limewire. I'm not saying they don't sometimes crash, but honestly, it doesn't hardly as much as any Windows OS.

I don't even own a Mac but they don't market false information.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By subject2change
Mercator said:
"I like them and Mac users are elite.I used PCs for probably 19 years before making the switch...I doubt I'll own a PC again. "
A Mac is a PC; PC = Personal Computer.You were running WINDOWS for 19 years before the switch. Also windows 3.1 came out in 1992; and well thats 17 years ago and I highly doubt someone that generalizes the term PC for Windows has been using it for "19 years".

Agnogenic
said:
"Macs can get viruses? Ha! 
And on there own, Macs hardly ever crash. They usually crash once programs are added such as Limewire. I'm not saying they don't sometimes crash, but honestly, it doesn't hardly as much as any Windows OS.

I don't even own a Mac but they don't market false information.
"

Thats bullshit lol I get beachballs all the time and no I am not running anything illegal on a company machine lol. Generally using Final Cut Studio 2, Episode Pro, Firefox and a handful of other apps. My boss reboots every 4 or so hours when color correcting as it starts to bog down. I work on a mac 8-10 hours a day and can say it is not perfect and in reality No OS is perfect. I've been running Vista for a year, not a single virus, not a single piece of malware or spyware. Be smart and these problems disappear. A Mac was hacked into after a mere 10 seconds they aren't fool proof and with the spike in people owning Macs I see viruses sprouting up for OSX in the near future.

I use my Windows machine or "PC" as they put in the commercials for gaming and at work a Mac for me is a work machine.

Vista, XP, and OSX are great operating systems; however making the switch is not worth it for everyone. Re-learning an OS? Buying new software? Seriously you can spend half the cost on a good windows machine and be fine, don't give into the trend. Buy a Mac if you need a Mac; Graphic Designer, Video Editor, Sound Engineer, etc, etc....

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Slunks
Francis

I know somebody who would agree.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I know the technical term for PC's. I am not an idiot. 

I never said the OS is perfect. It isn't, but generally, I have found Mac OS X to be more reliable than XP or Vista in my daily workings. I wasn't trying to be hostile I just don't like it when something is slammed for no reason. No operating system is going to run perfect all the time.

A Mac was hacked in 10 seconds? That sounds intersting. Do you happen to have a link?  :)
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

Yeah I agree, they neglect to mention that Macs crash the same if not more than PC's, and also that Mac's rarely get viruses because nobody really designs viruses that only affect 4% market share. Plus Justin Long is a douche.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By subject2change

PC Term comment was not directed at you.

However I hate people that jump on bandwagons just because it is the in thing; as most people that own a mac don't need a mac and will never use anything that makes a mac what it is.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23941/53/

First link in google search of "Mac hacked in 10 seconds"

And Justin Long is funny and well as a Mac user I hold nothing against him. Mac vs Windows is the same as XBOX vs PS3...both have their advantages and their downfalls. NOTHING IS PERFECT.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrankCanada97 said:
"Only good thing that came out of those ads were the parodies."

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ahriman22

I'm dual booting OSX leopard with vista (yes it's possible) and I prefer Vista. Allot of programs I use can't run on macs and my Zen X-FI doesn't show up on OSX for some reason.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Ineedaname

With your comment on viruses, then one following about market share and Apple's small percent. I'd be curios to know what the virus ratio on average for both is, as I've always had an assumption that Mac appears to have less viruses as they're less on the market so they're less frequently reported or targeted. That's not fanboyism just curiosity.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cube

I've never had a virus in using Windows for 11 years.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By inkeiren

The ads are cute and obviously the work of genius PR. That being said, both Microsoft and Apple are both pathological liars.

Nitemare1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nitemare1

I've got a windows pc being used as a file server and a macbook. I can't remember the last time the PC crashed. It's been years I'm sure.  And the macbook has never crashed on me. Now that being said I havent had it nearly as long.    Crashing and viruses are an enduser problem. Not a hardware one.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By BinaryDragon

Macs when it comes to crashing are FAR more reliable. My PC crashes at least 4 times a week. My mac has crash 4 times since I brought it. (it's been almost a year now). They are just better built. plus the operating system isn't havily intergrated with the internet browsing application. Which I think is one of it's major flaws. (Xp & prior I referance too as I don't own Vista).

I like the mac ads because they make me laugh.

Peace.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By keyhunter
PLEASE INSERT DISK UNTITLED
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CL60

PC should just turn to the mac and say  "Fuck you, I'm gonna go play some games now, wanna join me? oh wait! my bad"

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By subject2change

PC is a general term used for PERSONAL COMPUTER; Operating System doesn't define what a "PC" is.

Microsoft/Windows have gone about saying they can play Games and are cheaper than a Mac in Ads of "I am Windows" or something like that, something really dumb and bad like that.

Windows machines crash more often due to driver issues or software issues? Why? Because there are more people writing for it. There are more manufacturers for Windows based machines as Apple/Mac have to approve and distribute things for their hardware most often with updates. When you have peripherals and hardware that is specific for that  device (much like Microsoft does with the XBOX; however 3rd party stuff has recently surfaced) you are paying more for that "support" behind it.

LazerLuger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LazerLuger

Well at least the ads helped me learn that mac users are smug,  pretentious art school hipsters that I would never want to hang out with, and can disassociate myself from by never buying a mac.

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Eelcire

The real problem with the mac ads are they are based on out-dated stereotypes; yet they work because non-technical people don't realize this. I would respect the commercials much more if Apple would just showcase what their computers are about and everything you can do on them. Companies that only advertise by trash-talking their competitors usually are hiding something themselves.

But hey, it's marketing!

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I've been a Mac user since I was five and I can't stand these fucking ads, thankfully I don't watch cable/satellite so the only time I see the ads are when people complain about them.