I opened my computer up for the first time today

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

Hey GB my computer was overheating like crazy so decided to open her up ...i have seen some threads on Giantbomb  where people show the inside of their computers so i thought i would show you what mine looks like . 

I dunno if what i have is that great but here you go ...

No Caption Provided
My USB ports were not working also so i rang up my computer customer support from where i bought it from and they told me to take out the bottom usb ports and discconect the card reader at the front ...so i did and the usb ports started working :) 

haha i didnt realise how dusty the inside could get i almost had a astma attack opening this shit up ..
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

Undoubtedly the best computer I have ever seen.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

That's not too bad, considering. My computer has dust filters and everything still has good layer of dust on it maybe a month after last cleaning.

No Caption Provided
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

pretty nice. looks like it is an old computer.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138
@iam3green: its not that old though its only a year old haha .
 here are my specs

8190mb RAM 
2.83 GHz Quad core
N-vidia gtx 260
vista 64 bit
1TB hardrive
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That Intel heatsink/fan probably isn't doing you any favors.

Too bad it's such a chore to replace that shit.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green
@turbomonkey138: o lol. i thought it was old because of how simple the inside is compared to say my computer.    Pentium 4   3.4ghz, 2gigs, Nvidia 7900gt 512MB.  

isn't 8gigs to much RAM?
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turbomonkey138
@iam3green: probably but i didn't build it myself you see . I got it made on a website
timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By timay

That case is so clean. I see some disgusting thinks inside computer cases everyday.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My family's computer got ridiculously dusty inside and at one point it actually affected it working so much we had to remove the side panel on the case and leave it in the garden to blow all the dust out.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane
@iam3green:@turbomonkey138: 

I am running 12GB of DDR3, you can never have to much RAM lol.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By penguindust

Ha-ha, yeah some of us just had this conversation yesterday.  How Often Do You Clean Your PC?  I opened mine this past weekend and was surprised how much dust had accumulated since the last time I popped the side to install a new GPU.  I now plan to keep a closer eye on such things.  Once every couple of months I think in addition to keeping the fans and vents free.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DavidPalmer

I think every 6 months or so it's probably a good call to open it and take a vacuum to that thing to clear out the dust. I had a friend with some performance issues that I swear were due to overheating because there was so much dust inside the tower.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By Geno

Whoever made your computer did a terrible wiring job.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Xeiphyer
Man those things get dusty.. I remember opening up mine recently.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Binman88
@DavidPalmer said:
" I think every 6 months or so it's probably a good call to open it and take a vacuum to that thing to clear out the dust. I had a friend with some performance issues that I swear were due to overheating because there was so much dust inside the tower. "
Vacuum cleaners generate a lot of static electricity. If the built up static discharges into one of your components you could irreparably damage it.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Whisperkill

damn sexy

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By cstrang
@Binman88 said:
" @DavidPalmer said:
" I think every 6 months or so it's probably a good call to open it and take a vacuum to that thing to clear out the dust. I had a friend with some performance issues that I swear were due to overheating because there was so much dust inside the tower. "
Vacuum cleaners generate a lot of static electricity. If the built up static discharges into one of your components you could irreparably damage it. "
Word.  Compressed air is your friend.
Elston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Elston

The most important thing might be to clean the dust off the case fan(s) so that air can flow freely thruout. it also helps to blow compressed air into the heatsink/fan and the GPU fan and of course give the whole thing a good blow-dusting. Honestly I only clean my computer when I notice it is running hotter than usual. Speedfan is good for monitoring that sort of thing: 
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php  

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Geno:  I bought it from a website ...sorry :(
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Really,first time?

I did it like 6-7 times.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turbomonkey138
@OutOfBounds9000: Yea i never feel confident usually i dont know anything about the inside of computers at all ...i thought i would bake something :3
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

I've tried opening mine up, but for some reason, it never wants to open up. I just want to love you, Compaq! Why do you have to be so cold?

My Compaq Computer said:

Well, your sense of irony does not help.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By Tireyo

Wicked.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meteora

Looks pretty clean to me.

I swear the first time I've ever opened my old computer in 4-5 years since buying it; was fucking dusty as hell. The ventilation for the PSU was pratically sealed off.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Geno
@turbomonkey138 said:

" @Geno:  I bought it from a website ...sorry :( "

There's nothing wrong with getting it from a website, you just need to find good builders. For example, Digital Storm offers the best build quality in the biz, look how clean the wiring is on this beast (not my PC btw): 

No Caption Provided
Look how fucking clean it is. The PCIe power connectors are pretty much the only wiring there, and even then only out of necessity. It helps air flow, which in turn decreases dust buildup and overheating.
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By blackbird415
@turbomonkey138:  your hard drive looks crooked
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gizmo

I had to open my PC for the first time to RMA the GPU, removing it from the mobo was a pain in the arse, nearly tore the bloody thing off.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By damnboyadvance

I opened my old one up a few times to add another drive for it, cleaning, and some fixing up. I've had my new one for about a year now, and I have yet to open it up and see what's inside.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RetroIce4
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @iam3green: its not that old though its only a year old haha .  here are my specs  8190mb RAM  2.83 GHz Quad core N-vidia gtx 260 vista 64 bit 1TB hardrive "
Damn. Got enough RAM there? lol. I would show mine, but its a laptop.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Raven
@Geno said:
" @turbomonkey138 said:

" @Geno:  I bought it from a website ...sorry :( "

There's nothing wrong with getting it from a website, you just need to find good builders. For example, Digital Storm offers the best build quality in the biz, look how clean the wiring is on this beast (not my PC btw): 

No Caption Provided
Look how fucking clean it is. The PCIe power connectors are pretty much the only wiring there, and even then only out of necessity. It helps air flow, which in turn decreases dust buildup and overheating. "
Holy shit that's some good cable managment, are those corsair cases good?
Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Von

Since I'm at work at the moment, I can't take a snapshot of the inside of my home computer but anyways.. *this* is how mine looks like inside. Nice cable management, eh?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Geno
@Black_Raven: It's not the case, it's the builders. Digital Storm is known for having the best build quality in the business; in that case what they did was take off the right-side panel and hide all of the wiring there, taking care to twist-tie it as well so it doesn't get messy. I'm not sure what case that is but the HAF 932 has the same capability. 
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By sjschmidt93

My tower is always open. If I put the side on it gets too hot.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fbomb

I don't understand why people put LED lights in their computers. I find the power button light annoying enough. Not to mention, who's looking at your PC? Mine just gets hidden away under my desk so that all I have visible are my speakers, my keyboard, my two monitors, and my mouse. Even my laptop has its own hidden docking station so no one has to see it when in-use. I just don't understand the allure of "sexifying" a PC. Then again, I hate clutter, so anything unecessary has to go, or be well-hidden.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Hamst3r
@Fbomb said:
" I don't understand why people put LED lights in their computers. I find the power button light annoying enough. Not to mention, who's looking at your PC? Mine just gets hidden away under my desk so that all I have visible are my speakers, my keyboard, my two monitors, and my mouse. Even my laptop has its own hidden docking station so no one has to see it when in-use. I just don't understand the allure of "sexifying" a PC. Then again, I hate clutter, so anything unecessary has to go, or be well-hidden. "
Some people like having their stuff on display, especially expensive stuff.

I'm not one of those people, so my computer is under the desk. :P
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By artofwar420

@turbomonkey138: Oh that case looks familiar, did you get it from Velocity? 

Reminds me I have to clean mine up.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Geno:  Those Corsair cases are just the Lian Li PC-P50 Armorsuit models rebadged.  Yes, they are great.  The BTX style design places the PSU on the bottom but unlike the older BTX standard the PSU's fan is placed downwards with the intake taking air from under the case via filter in the case floor.  This means that no PSU heated air is let into the case and also considerably lowers the potential that dust will flow over the motherboard.  Also those Lian Li cases have cable clamping slots at the bottom of the case just slightly ahead of the PSU so that you can make sure that the PSU cables are easily managed and redirected to the rear of the MOBO and drive compartments neatly.  The Corsar versions don't have this feature.

You can see the cable clamps just off the bottom right hand corner.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GreggD

This reminds me, I've got to open up mine and give it a good cleaning.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Geno
@SeriouslyNow: Ah yes, those are definitely good ones. Lian Li is arguably the best case manufacturer but I think they're also a little overpriced; the PC-P50 however is fairly good value for price, coming in at the same price as the Antec 1200 or HAF 932, all very good cases. 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Geno:  Yeah, especially in Australia where all the cases that are really good seem overpriced against the UK and US values.  I love my Lian Li PC 58 still even though it's quite old, but I'm beginning to think its fan setup (2x10mm front and rear + 1x10mm top) is a little to noisy for my liking so I've been looking around for a new case and so far I'm torn between the HAF922 or Antec 902 as cases that fall within my budget.  If I could justify the extra 50-70 bucks I'd go with the Lian Li PC-P50 because out of all the cases I've owned none of them compare to Lian Li's build quality or ergonomic design.  My PC 58 still has more room than most modern and larger cases.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#42  Edited By JackiJinx

Frankly, I'm afraid to open my up, meaning that it's looong overdue for a cleaning. I just remember hearing this one story where customer service was carelessly instructing this one person to open up their PC and it caused the insides to completely crash down. That, and we're talking 5 years of accumulated dust here. That's gotta be potent stuff.